Author Topic: Shipping to Korea  (Read 1604 times)

Offline jcrouse

Shipping to Korea
« on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 06:32:42 »
I am in CONUS and would like to ship a small box to Korea, contacting a set of keycaps, say 120 or so. What is my best choice from a cost perspective. Speed is not important.

Thanks

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
Re: Shipping to Korea
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 06:36:17 »
I had use usps before to send some items from the states to korea without any problem
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:37:59 »
I had use usps before to send some items from the states to korea without any problem

Last time I did that it was about $40 for a very small box. What USPS method? There are many? Also, how about thoughts or experience with insurance? I'm looking for details.

Thanks cactux,
John

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 09:09:59 »
I believe USPS small flat rate boxes are only around 15
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:37:38 »
It's $18 for small flat rate box
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 12:48:13 »
For international I recommend send first class + registered for anything of value. This way its fairly cheap and you get a tracking number thats good from door to door.
If it's not valuable just use a bubble mailer and first class for about $6-8.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:01:46 »
Go through USPS. I had to ship my leather jacket to Korea to get a zipper fixed, and they were able to do it cheaper than everyone else. UPS, FedEx, and DHL will rape you with their rates.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:53:59 »
You can fit 120 keycaps into a small flat rate priority box.  That will cost you $18.  Using the small flat rate box also allows you to use the small CN-22 international customs form, which provides delivery tracking within the US.  You cannot add insurance to this option.

Once it's airborne, your tracking number no longer works within the states.  But in some cases, the same number is passed onto local/domestic posts and is trackable via their domestic website.  This is rare, but definitely a bonus if it works.

Edit:  Pros of using Priority = Faster.  Pros of using lysol's method = cheaper, safer, and ability to insure.  Given what you've said, I think lysol's method of first class + registered mail is the way to go.  Make sure you get a box though, don't want any crushed keycaps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 October 2012, 13:56:09 by DanGWanG »

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 15:38:52 »
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 16:26:03 »
Flat rate boxes are great, but all are based on the concept that what is inside is fairly solid and moderately heavy.

If a small box flat rate is based on 4 pounds and your item weighs 1 pound, International Priority Mail may be a good bit cheaper than a flat rate box of the same size.

If you are mailing a brick, use the flat rate box.

A full-size keyboard shipped via Priority Mail comes out almost exactly the same as the flat rate box price.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015