Author Topic: How Long Does it Take to Learn to Type Well?  (Read 104515 times)

Offline Ki Bored

How Long Does it Take to Learn to Type Well?
« on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:11:37 »
So, after years of two-finger typing (35 wpm) I've decided to buckle down and actually learn to type properly. I'm going to get some typing software and commit myself to learning. My goal to be able to type 60 wpm.

What I'd like to know is, if I devote one hour a day, 7 days a week to it, what kind of time frame should I expect?   6 weeks?, 6 months? a year?

I know everyone is different, but I really have no idea how long this will take, not even a ballpark clue, as I will also have to unlearn all my two finger memory patterns.

Thanks

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: How Long Does it Take to Learn to Type Well?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:23:37 »
So, after years of two-finger typing (35 wpm) I've decided to buckle down and actually learn to type properly. I'm going to get some typing software and commit myself to learning. My goal to be able to type 60 wpm.

What I'd like to know is, if I devote one hour a day, 7 days a week to it, what kind of time frame should I expect?   6 weeks?, 6 months? a year?

I know everyone is different, but I really have no idea how long this will take, not even a ballpark clue, as I will also have to unlearn all my two finger memory patterns.

Thanks

you should be at 60 within 2 weeks  with 15-30mins per day..

but really focus on feeling the keys under your fingers..

don't try to remember where it is...  try to remember what it FEELS like...

So for example..  you need to type the Letter   J...

don't think  ok J is in the second row, it is next to, etc etc..

just  put your index finger on J,  and press it repeatedly and remember how it feels under your hands

apply this basic concept to everything you're practicing..  you are developing muscle memory, NOT graphical memory of the keyboard...

It should be   mind to hand...  not mind to eye to hand.

And some special  things to help you out..

DO NOT put your fingers on  asdf jkl:   < this is a n00b mistake, and highly prevalent

put your fingers  on   awef  jio:   <  this is the true natural resting position of the fingers.

to press " q  "  and  " p "  use the respective RING- Finger on either hand..  it is faster and more ergonomic than to use the pinky for those 2 keys..

ok.. and now this is more advanced...

DO NOT turn your wrist in order to make a 90 degree angle with the top/bottom of the keyboard.   This is conducive to wrist injury given extended use.. and a hard habit to break once you get into it..

Also.. DO NOT flatten your hands across the top of the keys trying to make it flush with the keyboard..

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:26:13 »
I can barely do 50 and that's after 2 years. Just set modest goals and you'll get there eventually.

Also, 10fastfingers.com is my favorite practice tool.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 16:55:16 »
I can barely do 50 and that's after 2 years. Just set modest goals and you'll get there eventually.

Also, 10fastfingers.com is my favorite practice tool.

10 fast is good... stick to 10 fast... because the UI is simple and gets things going..

most other sites will get you to the typing much more slowly..

for example typeracer.. not a good place to learn typing because there's a count down timer..

that's unnecessary and breaks the flow state of typing which you're trying to achieve.

Offline Ki Bored

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 21:48:31 »
Hmm...60 wpm after two weeks.....50 wpm after two years

That's quite an individual variation.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 22:00:08 »

Thanks

I never bothered learning to type "properly", but I did make an effort to use more than two fingers. I now regularly use eight of my fingers when typing, all of them save for my left thumb and right pinky. My focus is on what feels comfortable for me to type with, not on what people say is the best. My wrists may possibly hate me in the long run, but I haven't had any problems yet. I tend to float my hands around the board more than I ought to, which is probably what limits my speed to 80 wpm.

I also find I type about 10wpm faster on a mech board than on a laptop/rubber dome, but there's very little variation in the types of cherry switches in terms of speed.

I agree with tp4, it's all about muscle memory and dedication. I would recommend not setting aside specific time to practice, but rather just focusing in how you type every day. Google searches, emails, anything you type, focus on using multiple fingers. I've never heard of awef/jio;, but all I really concern myself with is index fingers returning to f and j when I take a break from typing. I also find that I can type faster in short bursts, but I need to take breaks to compose the next portion of what I'm going to say.

I never really measured my typing speed before this year, so I don't have any time frame to give you, sorry. If you can manage 35wpm with two fingers, 60 should be very attainable with some dedication.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 23:09:36 »
I'm managing 80+ with my **** style. Only use about 4 fingers - left pinky only for shift, left thumb only for space, right ring+pinkie seldom used. I wonder what would happen if I actually spent some time practicing using all my fingers.

Like others have said. It's all about muscle memory. As I type this message I don't think about my fingers at all I just know what I want to write and my fingers make it happen. There are some people who can type fine but can't fill out an empty keyboard layout. I actually know where all the keys are and can type with just one hand or finger on a completely blank keyboard, although it's awkward and slow...

Offline bexleycorona

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 01:35:15 »
I'm managing 80+ with my **** style. Only use about 4 fingers - left pinky only for shift, left thumb only for space, right ring+pinkie seldom used. I wonder what would happen if I actually spent some time practicing using all my fingers.

Like others have said. It's all about muscle memory. As I type this message I don't think about my fingers at all I just know what I want to write and my fingers make it happen. There are some people who can type fine but can't fill out an empty keyboard layout. I actually know where all the keys are and can type with just one hand or finger on a completely blank keyboard, although it's awkward and slow...

Today I found out that I'm typing improperly.

I've been doing it the way you described and never thought about using my thumbs and pinky for all of the keys.

Then again, I've never needed to type faster than 80 wpm.

GE Marquette | Rosewill RK-9000 | Rosewill Apollo 9100 | Realforce 87U "EK Edition" 45g Uniform | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black Buckling Spring | Realforce 87U SE07T0 Variable | Dolch PAC65

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 02:09:00 »

Today I found out that I'm typing improperly.

I've been doing it the way you described and never thought about using my thumbs and pinky for all of the keys.

Then again, I've never needed to type faster than 80 wpm.

Yeah I don't follow that picture at all. My fingers move around all over the place. For me there is no home row and resting my fingers on ASDF, JKL; just feels strange. Apparently I am also supposed to raise my wrists off of the mousepad and "float" while I type which doesn't happen either. Ohh well, I'm happy with how fast I can type and don't feel like my crazy style is physically hurting me or anything.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 02:10:35 »
I started out barely reaching 60 - now after a couple of months practicing i'm not at about 80-90 wpm.

However the learning curve slows exponentially, meaning that I need to work more and more to increase speed now.

My goal is to reach a 100 wpm, closest I've gotten so far was 97 :S
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 02:12:46 by Frenir »

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 02:11:56 »
i type in my own method using two fingers with my left hand and all of my fingers on my right and i manage ~100+ wpm so my advice is just type how you feel is the easiest? i cant type like people try to teach me to.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 04:28:27 »
i type in my own method using two fingers with my left hand and all of my fingers on my right and i manage ~100+ wpm so my advice is just type how you feel is the easiest? i cant type like people try to teach me to.

I type pretty close to this and I do about 80-100 when i'm awake and not making mistakes all the time. When I try to do it properly, it slows down to about 40-60 I guess.

I can't believe TP4 didn't mention this, but you may consider an ergo KB like the ergodox or kinesis. These keyboards greatly assist with keeping your hands in the proper location.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 05:16:45 »

I type pretty close to this and I do about 80-100 when i'm awake and not making mistakes all the time. When I try to do it properly, it slows down to about 40-60 I guess.

I can't believe TP4 didn't mention this, but you may consider an ergo KB like the ergodox or kinesis. These keyboards greatly assist with keeping your hands in the proper location.

I've come to realize and accept that Egdx is too extreme for most people to "Get INTO"..

<I'll still randomly put it out there on suggest-a-keyboard threads> but... I was trying to focus on helping the OP avoid the most common pitfalls surrounding typing.

You have to be extremely deep into computer use before really coming to grasp the necessity of Ergonomic input.

if your computer use is light...  even if carpal tunnel and RSI is developing, they won't be debilitating until you're in your 45-60s. Hopefully by the time you reach the ripe ages, you won't have to work as hard on the PC..

Offline D01

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:52:21 »
If you really do an hour a day it isn't going to take you very long to become better than most.  Couple weeks to a month.  I went through the same thing as you about a year ago.  I got tired of watching my wife, who learned in high school, cruise along at 90 wpm.  I used Typing Instructor Platinum v21.0 to teach myself.  No complaints, no bad habits from using it.  It focused on memorizing the keyboard and building muscle memory, which is what it's all about.  In that year I'm at 60 wpm.  I've decided that 70 is about as fast as I can go.  My hands and fingers are too damn small, and I tend to float with my right hand a little since I've broke it a couple times and stiffness is a problem.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:47:27 »
If you really do an hour a day it isn't going to take you very long to become better than most.  Couple weeks to a month.  I went through the same thing as you about a year ago.  I got tired of watching my wife, who learned in high school, cruise along at 90 wpm.  I used Typing Instructor Platinum v21.0 to teach myself.  No complaints, no bad habits from using it.  It focused on memorizing the keyboard and building muscle memory, which is what it's all about.  In that year I'm at 60 wpm.  I've decided that 70 is about as fast as I can go.  My hands and fingers are too damn small, and I tend to float with my right hand a little since I've broke it a couple times and stiffness is a problem.

on a flat keyboard.. if you're going for extreme speeds 120+,  you almost HAVE to float the right hand.. 

because the right hand controls backspace, and right shift,  both of which are quite far away and most times require a hand lift..

so for fast rhythm you have to float the right hand to get the quickest smoothest transitions for those two mod keys..

Left hand can almost always stay stationary, because left shift is so close.. and primary letters at least in english only occupy the top two rows.

on the right hand you have things like "m y , . "  which are all commonly used keys and are faster if your hands were hovering over the board vs curling your fingers downward when the hand is stationary.

Offline Ki Bored

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 14:28:42 »

So a couple weeks to a month? That's it? 

I'm in the same situation, I broke my right hand a few years ago and it's stiff, especially in the morning.

Offline D01

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 14:56:51 »
So a couple weeks to a month? That's it? 

I'm in the same situation, I broke my right hand a few years ago and it's stiff, especially in the morning.

It took me a month of practice.  Practice and forcing myself to not look at the keys.  I could do like 30-35 wpm after that month.  Took me longer to not mix up the K and L keys, and the O and I keys.  I get what tp4tissue was saying about floating the right hand, you do have to do it.  I broke a couple of knuckles and one finger so words like people are a *****.

I envy people that can do 85+ wpm.  Up to about 60 or so you can spell out words in your head as you go along and its not really difficult.  Past that you can think anymore.  It just has to happen.  Watching someone that can go real fast, in person, is the closest thing to using the force I've ever seen.

Offline Ki Bored

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 23:25:12 »
Just trying to get a rough idea of how long to expect this will take me. I'm hoping I can get up to 60 wpm within 6 months.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 07:18:33 »
Just trying to get a rough idea of how long to expect this will take me. I'm hoping I can get up to 60 wpm within 6 months.
That's quite realistic, even if you don't practice all that much... unless you have a problem with typing by itself.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 07:47:07 »
About 6 months ago a friend asked me whether I could help him learn how to touch type. He had to type a lot for work, but never really learned to touch type (no one ever taught him how).

This is what I recommended for him.
-Every evening, do the exercises in a free typing program. We used Rapid Typing Tutor, but I guess any one is fine.
-After you have done that for about 2 weeks, and are able to type at ~20 WPM, switch cold turky to touch typing.

The second step was hard. Just because he had to type a lot at his work. And switching would mean that everything would take more time. Yet he stuck with it, and I think that was the key to why he learned so fast.

This was how long it took him altogether. I am not sure whether this is representative for an ordinary person, but I think so (though this guy spends a lot of time behind his PC)
-2 weeks of doing the typing exercises every evening for about an hour during weekdays. This was enough to get him up to about 20 WPM (measured on 10fastfingers.com).
-2 weeks (4 weeks total) of working full time behind the PC while touch typing. He went from 20WPM to 35WPM. He made an account on 10fastfingers, so we could really track his progress.
-4 weeks (6 weeks total) of working full time behind the PC while touch typing. He went from 35WPM to 45WPM. At this point he said he could type faster than with his hunt and peck style as well as be more efficient by not having to look away from the screen.

That is where we kind of stopped talking about it. When I saw this topic, I got curious and sent him a whatsapp message. He says he is at about 50-60 WPM now, and it has been 6 months (not sure exactly but something like that) since he started. So he has not gained a ton of speed since the first 6 weeks, but he is a great deal faster than he ever was before, and I imagine using the PC is just more comfortable when you only have to look at the screen. Personally I think you can type "well" when you manage to comfortably type (so without trying real hard) about one word per second on average (so 60 WPM). That is where typing kind of starts to feel fast and fluid.

Personally I type about 80ish WPM. Which is not real fast compared to some here, but it feels fast to me. So I am pretty much satisfied with it. I have a traditional touch typing style, complete with using the home row. That does not mean that my fingers are literally resting on the home row all of the time, but they are always hovering somewhere around there. The only thing noticeable I do that is not "traditional" is that I use my left index finger to hit C. And I often bend my left thumb inward to hit the left shift, which happens without me thinking about it (even though I could use my pinky just fine).
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 June 2014, 07:59:03 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:10:21 »
Hmm....    For all practical purposes..    You truly only need ~70wpm..  because past that, the time it takes to generate the ideas TO TYPE is already significantly greater than the act-of-typing-itself..

and 70wpm as a measure should only be recognized as your Familiarity with the keyboard... and NOT any sort of work/productive output rate..

IT IS NOT a rate..   when you type in a wpm-tester 10fast, typerace,  you're Transcribing.. which is Hardly at all representative of how much work can be accomplished..

So it's honestly NOT a measure of speed..  it's a measure of proficiency...

For example.. typing speed measures are like TOP speeds for a car..   

Most realistic use situations for the vehicle will neither involve straight lines, nor top speed..

Offline lakiozoon

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:30:59 »
I was in a pretty-much the same situation as you, typing with 3 fingers and wanting to learn how to do it properly.

My advice would be:

Take the full lesson tour from the site http://www.typingweb.com/ , starting with beginner level.
After you familiarize yourself with basics, you can practice on http://www.keybr.com/ , try importing text from websites, you have some templates there.

It took me 3-4 months to get to stable 60 wpm, 80 is max i can reach so far.
I would be happy with 80 average but after 60 my lvling curve slowed significantly.
Practice makes perfect.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:38:33 »
I was in a pretty-much the same situation as you, typing with 3 fingers and wanting to learn how to do it properly.

My advice would be:

Take the full lesson tour from the site http://www.typingweb.com/ , starting with beginner level.
After you familiarize yourself with basics, you can practice on http://www.keybr.com/ , try importing text from websites, you have some templates there.

It took me 3-4 months to get to stable 60 wpm, 80 is max i can reach so far.
I would be happy with 80 average but after 60 my lvling curve slowed significantly.
Practice makes perfect.

The leveling stops at a certain point for people because they are READING what they type..

It's kinda like when some people subconsciously vocalize the things they read, even if they do not move their mouths..

Just like how the fastest readers decouple vocalizing from their reading..

the Fastest typers decouple reading/comprehension from the act of transcribing..

Now... is there a neeeed to be faster than 80... Not really, because if you're typing material from you mind and Not merely transcribing,  you WILL be reading.. and the decoupling would've been for naught..

However.. if you're looking to explore a smoother flow-state keyboard experience, then decoupling and increasing your speed may be critical (and fun), because it allows you to practice jump transitions.

Also.. i repeat this often because it's a conception that's critically wrong with the STANDARD technique people train...

DO NOT type p and q with the pinky.. use Ring finger..

Offline "Edgar Allen Pho is Dead."

• formerly known as anoose
  • Member Since '11
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:42:53 »
just keep practicing, you will eventually get to around 80 to 90 wpm

Offline lakiozoon

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:50:24 »
Yeah i get your point, still i have to work on my muscle memory, still making typos and stuff.
There are times i can get in the "zone" where fingers do all the work by themselves and i stand surprised how fluidly and effortlessly it went.

If i try to push it, i make more typos so i try to remain in the speed i can type with confidence.
I do have some issues with words requiring one finger in sequence (like decedec), i have to slow down a bit, and usually bottom out there.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:51:32 »
If you have typed for years, even with your notsogood method of using only two fingers, you should have some basic muscle memory of where the certain keys lie.
So if you do buckle down and force yourself to get to know the keyboard better using your ten fingers, then you should be on the right track within a couple of weeks.

Personally I think that since you're still very new to the whole typing thing that you should use a more efficient layout than qwerty.
QWERTY was invented to be a slightly inconvenient as typewriters would jam up if one typed to fast.
So I would recommend finding a keyboard that can use a layout like Dvorak or Colemak. You have nothing to lose since you're still inexperienced with touch typing.
Personally, I have been caught up in the qwerty trap and I can't be bothered to get out of it.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 14:55:26 »
Yeah i get your point, still i have to work on my muscle memory, still making typos and stuff.
There are times i can get in the "zone" where fingers do all the work by themselves and i stand surprised how fluidly and effortlessly it went.

If i try to push it, i make more typos so i try to remain in the speed i can type with confidence.
I do have some issues with words requiring one finger in sequence (like decedec), i have to slow down a bit, and usually bottom out there.

Always bottom out.. that's the Pro way to type and the fastest way to type..  don't listen to the fan flair on Floating around/above the actuation point (2mm).. Complete nonsense..

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 15:01:40 »
If you want me to be completely truthful with you, it really doesn't matter how you type.
I am currently typing on the most greasy and sticky feeling keycaps I have ever touched with a flipped Num0 key for a spacebar and I can still get to 98 WPM.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 15:04:03 »
If you have typed for years, even with your notsogood method of using only two fingers, you should have some basic muscle memory of where the certain keys lie.
So if you do buckle down and force yourself to get to know the keyboard better using your ten fingers, then you should be on the right track within a couple of weeks.

Personally I think that since you're still very new to the whole typing thing that you should use a more efficient layout than qwerty.
QWERTY was invented to be a slightly inconvenient as typewriters would jam up if one typed to fast.
So I would recommend finding a keyboard that can use a layout like Dvorak or Colemak. You have nothing to lose since you're still inexperienced with touch typing.
Personally, I have been caught up in the qwerty trap and I can't be bothered to get out of it.

Frosty,  you're partly right..

Qwerty did indeed have that history you mentioned.

However.. ultimate typing speed is NOT hindered whatsoever by the layout you use..

Sean Wrona, the fastest out there uses qwerty..

and a large part of us who have pushed the speed envelope (125wpm +) notice unanimously that the rate at which we type is hindered by reading  and parsing the key combinations for our fingers.

For example..  when I type superserious  my fingers parse  sup - er - serious    I have very good muscle memory for those  segments of the word

The more combinations of large strings you've mastered thoroughly,  the faster you can type, because it reduces parsing..

for example   type   asdf,  you didn't even have to think about that one, you can do it all day super quick..    that is an example of a string that you've mastered. 

now type - gundam -    ,  you probably have to parse that into gun- d- am..  when you hit 125+,  this Parsing-barrier becomes difficult to breach..

so in summary.. Don't switch layouts based on the promise that it will be _ultimately_faster_   this is absolutely NOT TRUE, and unfounded..

If you want to switch,   you should consider first, whether it'd be practical.. qwerty is available everywhere you go, and already set up..  if you want dvorak, you gotta go into the menu and change it. what if the menu and settings are locked, because this is not your computer.

Offline lakiozoon

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 15:10:56 »

Always bottom out.. that's the Pro way to type and the fastest way to type..  don't listen to the fan flair on Floating around/above the actuation point (2mm).. Complete nonsense..
Show Image

I try not to bottom out, not because it's faster, but because i really like the buttery feeling when i'm able to do it.
And i don't aim at really high typing speeds, as i said i would be thrilled with 80 wpm.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 15:18:55 »

Show Image

I try not to bottom out, not because it's faster, but because i really like the buttery feeling when i'm able to do it.
And i don't aim at really high typing speeds, as i said i would be thrilled with 80 wpm.

......  you have the right to Float it, Absolutely.... 

Making it fun is equally important to the objective when you  are not under any constraint to complete..

Offline Ki Bored

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 00:58:31 »
This is getting really interesting. Appreciate all the comments so far.

It seems like from what everyone is saying that it won't take me too long. It's funny how after years of two finger typing my two index fingers have developed their own muscle memory, which I'm now trying to unlearn. Even after years of getting fairly proficient with two fingers I still have to look at the keyboard.

I guess it's like when I play the guitar, I can finger the chords with my left hand without looking at the fret board, yet I still look at the fret board just out of habit and to reassure myself that my fingers are where they're supposed to be.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 01:19:21 »
You can never type well enough, I feel. There is a point at which you hit your theoretical wall, and I for one can't get over mine, but I'm sure there are ways to.

Bottoming out is a pointless argument though, neither way will improve your WPM so just do what feels best for you.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 02:10:57 »
After a lifetime (30+ years) of bad typing habits I learned to type properly and use a blank keyboard proficiently within ~2 months by following this tutorial: http://www.typing-lessons.org/preliminaries_1.html
SSKs for everyone!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 02:30:10 »

Thanks

I never bothered learning to type "properly", but I did make an effort to use more than two fingers. I now regularly use eight of my fingers when typing, all of them save for my left thumb and right pinky. My focus is on what feels comfortable for me to type with, not on what people say is the best. My wrists may possibly hate me in the long run, but I haven't had any problems yet. I tend to float my hands around the board more than I ought to, which is probably what limits my speed to 80 wpm.

I also find I type about 10wpm faster on a mech board than on a laptop/rubber dome, but there's very little variation in the types of cherry switches in terms of speed.

I agree with tp4, it's all about muscle memory and dedication. I would recommend not setting aside specific time to practice, but rather just focusing in how you type every day. Google searches, emails, anything you type, focus on using multiple fingers. I've never heard of awef/jio;, but all I really concern myself with is index fingers returning to f and j when I take a break from typing. I also find that I can type faster in short bursts, but I need to take breaks to compose the next portion of what I'm going to say.

I never really measured my typing speed before this year, so I don't have any time frame to give you, sorry. If you can manage 35wpm with two fingers, 60 should be very attainable with some dedication.

Yeah I do it your way and get around 80wpm. Works well enough for me!

Offline ragereaver

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 12:28:03 »
I could not find any tutorials under 10 fast fingers site.

Any advice on touch typing programs to use?
Was considering typing master pro and Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing Platinum.

Thanks chaps :)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:21:17 »
Tree hunnid and fiddy dayz
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:32:50 »
Took me a few months. Maybe 3 or 4.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CortexExport

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 11:35:45 »
DO NOT put your fingers on  asdf jkl:   < this is a n00b mistake, and highly prevalent
put your fingers  on   awef  jio:   <  this is the true natural resting position of the fingers.

I've never heard this.  How legit is this comment?
None of the typing sites say this.
Is this just his personal preference?

(My goal is to beat by current 2x2 finger 50wpm rate.)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 12:04:29 »
buy pwntastic Ergodox, then put your fingers  on   awef  jio:   <  this is the true natural resting position of the fingers.

I've never heard this.  How legit is this comment?
None of the typing sites say this.
Is this just his personal preference?

(My goal is to beat by current 2x2 finger 50wpm rate.)

FTFY. tp4tissue was probably talking about the amazing benefits of the Ergodox in another thread and totally forgot to mention as to why awef jio; is the true natural resting position of the fingers. Though, mere mortals like the rest of us might be better off using the homing bars/dots/scoops/dishes for asdf jkl;.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:33:43 »

FTFY. tp4tissue was probably talking about the amazing benefits of the Ergodox in another thread and totally forgot to mention as to why awef jio; is the true natural resting position of the fingers. Though, mere mortals like the rest of us might be better off using the homing bars/dots/scoops/dishes for asdf jkl;.

-Demik...   he abandon Tp4... 

allegedly road into the sunset @ the first female..

/CRY

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:41:21 »

-Demik...   he abandon Tp4... 

allegedly road into the sunset @ the first female..

/CRY

:'(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 13:44:00 »

Mertx,  mertx won't elope.. ol' sturdy steady mertx...

right ??   RIGHT...??!!!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 14:02:40 »

Mertx,  mertx won't elope.. ol' sturdy steady mertx...

right ??   RIGHT...??!!!

Offline yuppie

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 14:09:19 »
forever
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 11:01:32 »
I'm still in the process of learning to touch-type and boy is it a pain.

Offline MrMarcie

• Looking for ....
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 11:54:54 »

Thanks

At what speed are you now after a few years?

I just started to learn touch type after 35 years typing with 3 and a halve fingers. Doing around 50WPM.

I use the program Gtypist and some online sites an do some tests everyday at 10fastfingers.
Started 2 month ago, practicing about 10 to 15 minutes a day. I'm at 30WPM now and improving.
Something nice will be placed here. Someday when I have inspiration again.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 13:05:16 »

At what speed are you now after a few years?

I just started to learn touch type after 35 years typing with 3 and a halve fingers. Doing around 50WPM.

I use the program Gtypist and some online sites an do some tests everyday at 10fastfingers.
Started 2 month ago, practicing about 10 to 15 minutes a day. I'm at 30WPM now and improving.

Tp4 reached 120wpm within 8-10months of 45minute/day Training

Reached 140wpm @1.5 years into the keyboard hobby.

Shouldn't take you long.. if you keep at it EVERYDAY, you should hit 80-100wpm in 6 months on common word sets such as 10 fast fingers.

There's also typing of the dead, (Original), which you can play, it's less dry than typracer/10fastfin

There is a newer version typing of the dead overkill, you try that too, but the original has overall -more charm-

The original you'll prolly have to get on Arrgh matey site. they want $50 for it for the CD version..

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 13:18:20 »
I actually type worse from last I posted itt. I'm doing like 60wpm now, I used to be able to hit 90 no problem. Funny thing is I don't really care :))