Author Topic: EMR-resistant PC / PC-XT Model F  (Read 1708 times)

Offline ed_avis

EMR-resistant PC / PC-XT Model F
« on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 06:18:28 »
www.ebay.com/itm/271727624607

"This keyboard is shielded and hardened to prevent electronic surveillance from intercepting signals generated within the circuitry and wiring of the keyboard."

Apart from that it looks like a regular PC or PC-XT keyboard; the seller claims the keycaps are a bit different but I doubt that has anything to do with EMR hardening.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Re: EMR-resistant PC / PC-XT Model F
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 06:21:50 »
Seller is just good at marketing. I'm sure some geek will not be able to resist... at least be glad seller didn't try to sell some mandolin crystals, meth and marijuana along with the board.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 06:38:26 »
Seller is just good at marketing. I'm sure some geek will not be able to resist... at least be glad seller didn't try to sell some mandolin crystals, meth and marijuana along with the board.

How so?

The seller may be spinning it to appeal to someone security-minded (that isn't to my knowledge why the EMR keyboard is shielded - it's for medical equipment interference reduction), but it's not inaccurate. The EMR keyboard is shielded and it's definitely rare.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 07:22:19 »
That cable is bad-ass.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 08:30:24 »
I've had my eye on this one for a while, but I'm guessing someone else will pick it up now. :P
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 08:56:37 »
I'm guessing someone else will pick it up now. :P

I have watched with bewilderment the steady price increase of F XTs in the last year or 2. There seem to be plenty of them, far more than F ATs, if ebay is any indication. I can see a small niche market for people who want to use them for XTant bases, but beyond that, the layout is no less atrocious than it ever was.

So what is driving that demand? Are people really using them, or collecting them?

It used to be that F ATs sold for 3x-4x the price of F XTs, and I wondered why it was not even more.
Now, it seems that XTs often change hands in the $100 range, which seems silly to me, and ATs are selling relatively cheap.

Anyway, if someone wanted a "collectible" XT, this is the one to have, because the others are just plain common.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 12:46:09 »
Anyway, if someone wanted a "collectible" XT, this is the one to have, because the others are just plain common.

^ This.

And for historical accuracy, EMR stands for Electronic Medical Records, not a type of interference. I kinda want to get my hands on the computer it's for, since I bet the case is shielded heavily and a neat option for a case mod of sorts.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca