Author Topic: ABS M1 $40 shipped at Newegg  (Read 18577 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
ABS M1 $40 shipped at Newegg
« on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:00:02 »
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:08:49 »
Wow, they really changed up the ABS M1.  Mine looks nothing like it; it looks just like the Filco with different switches.  I like the Filco font better.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:23:23 »
I guess I'm going to have to wait a bit to sell mine. Wonder why newegg keeps putting this board on sale all the time. I do have to say $40 for it not a bad deal. I was going to sell mine for about $20 but may not even get that with this sale going on.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 09:23:23 »
I'd say they're having trouble selling them and are trying to clear up stock. If I were them, I'd do a slight redesign of the appearance, add proper NKRO and maybe backlit keys, and sell it as the ABS M2.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 10:58:45 »
I honestly thought that the M1 looks exactly like a Filco 104. Do you guys think that in reality, it is a Filco but they rebranded it to ABS?
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 11:09:19 »
Considering the controller problems they had, I doubt it. Also, Filco don't sell any Black Alps models. They do however come out of the same factory, as does the Das and possibly the iRocks.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 11:10:26 »
How does the M1 feel in comparison to the AT101W?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 11:31:26 »
Quote from: timw4mail;112616
How does the M1 feel in comparison to the AT101W?

well, if you find an m1 with the fukkas, a lot of folks around here say  its better than regular blacks. But from what i understand some m1's have xm-based blacks? Only way to know given a m1 board is to open up a key?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 11:33:41 »
Is there any pattern to the XM vs Fukkas? Are old ones XM and new ones Fukkas? Or is it at random? I'd guess that if they are churned out in the same factory as the Filcos, the switchover was probably made at the same time.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:26:26 »
Quote from: ch_123;112634
Is there any pattern to the XM vs Fukkas? Are old ones XM and new ones Fukkas? Or is it at random?

i'd like to know this too...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:34:27 »
Quote from: ch_123;112613
Considering the controller problems they had, I doubt it. Also, Filco don't sell any Black Alps models. They do however come out of the same factory, as does the Das and possibly the iRocks.

Yus

http://www.costar.com.tw/products01/info.php?p_id=45&p_sid=32

The same model is like...5 other keyboards, Filco ABS, etc

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:34:27 »
The ABS comes with Alps copies, not Fukkas. They might be XMs or Strongmans, but I am not sure. They are heavier than the Alps swithces in the Dell, but they are more tactile. The M1's switches are also louder and clunkier than the Dell's.

Recently, the Filcos were switched from the XM to the Fukkas, but I am unsure about other keyboards Costar manufactures. Therefore, the old Filco Zeros, the ones with the model number ending in "-Y" and discounted on elitekeyboards, are XM. The new Filco Zero, the ones with the model number not ending in "-Y," are Fukkas.

See here: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=6797
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:38:10 by itlnstln »

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:35:18 »
Quote from: ch_123;112613
Considering the controller problems they had, I doubt it. Also, Filco don't sell any Black Alps models.

They do.

Offline D-EJ915

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 12:53:10 »
Quote from: sixty;112661
They do.

But the ABS use some simplified or fake ones. That Filco looks like a custom run, obviously they just stumbled across some complicated switches somwhere or other.

And the controller issue of course.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 13:06:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;112675
But the ABS use some simplified or fake ones. That Filco looks like a custom run, obviously they just stumbled across some complicated switches somwhere or other.

And the controller issue of course.

what was the controller issue? (i missed a lot of the m1 discussion). Does it affect all m1's? or just a batch?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 13:12:40 »
Yeah, I think it has been since resolved.

Offline kyamei

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 14:34:21 »
I already posted pictures of the M1's switch internals when I first got the board back in July -- looks the same as the Fukkas.  

Rollover on the board seems to be exactly the same as the non-NKRO Filco boards.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 14:45:01 »
ok thanks.

CMR's matias tp2 'optimizer' edition also seems to be clicky white fukkas.  Amazon has those for $89.
[update - the one at amazon is not the tactile pro but a rubber dome version. The only tactile pro optimizer i found on sale was a single one on froogle.com being sold for about $120.  The matias website lists the optimizer as discontinued and out of stock, though originally selling for about $150.]
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2009, 11:14:03 by wellington1869 »

Offline Special K

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 16:00:42 »
Quote from: watduzhkstand4;112608
I honestly thought that the M1 looks exactly like a Filco 104. Do you guys think that in reality, it is a Filco but they rebranded it to ABS?

Both Filco and ABS use the same OEM (Costar) to manufacture their keyboards, so the similarity is understandable.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Special K

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 16:03:33 »
Quote from: ch_123;112558
I'd say they're having trouble selling them and are trying to clear up stock. If I were them, I'd do a slight redesign of the appearance, add proper NKRO and maybe backlit keys, and sell it as the ABS M2.

I like this idea.  I don't need the backlit keys, but adding proper NKRO seems like a no-brainer to me, considering the only complaints people seem to post about this keyboard concern the number of simultaneous keypresses it will register.

In fact, I think I'll send an email to ABS with this suggestion.  My last string of emails caused them to pull their "6 key rollover" claim from the M1 ad on their website; maybe they would listen to a new product suggestion as well.
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 28 August 2009, 16:49:57 »
The backlit thing is something I dislike too, I'm just suggesting it out of marketability to the ignorant masses. There's alot of people on other forums who  won't consider good keyboards because they aren't backlit. Stupid I know, but sometimes you have to design these things for other people if you want to sell them.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 20:52:24 »
Quote from: ripster;112884
OK, so I was wrong and they ARE probably Fukkas.

So why the excitement over Fukkas when before they had that name the ABS switches were generally acknowledged to be "meh"?

This is known as GOOD marketing.

I believe abs switched to fukkas at some point; they didnt always have fukkas. Isnt that right?

I think that is the case based on early models that were reviewed here which, IIRC, were shown to have black alps/strongmans/xm's. Some of those reviews/pics might be in reviews section.

Btw I havent been following the abs m1 discussions, the above is based on a very rough sense of whats going on. But I do believe abs m1 switched to fukkas at some point from some other switch.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 22:10:20 »
Quote from: ripster;113025
I don't think so.  I think Majestouch said Fukka and everybody then said Looka.

lol, i know you think that ;)  Hold on, i'm investigating. Though mind you I cant be held responsible for what the crowds do ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 29 August 2009, 23:15:25 »
ok Ripster, here's the thing. I think you're right that abs m1 may well have come with fukkas, and that people mistakenly thought it had black alps. For the sake of argument, lets say that is the case.  

Now, for the sake of playing devil's advocate, I'm still going to take on your argument here. Basically you're insinuating that "everyone here poo-poo'ed abs m1 until they found out it was fukkas and then they suddenly liked it" -- the clear implication being that everyone here are slaves to great marketing and the implication additionally being that fukkas arent that great in and of themselves.

Well, clearly i'm among those who say the fukkas are immediately noticeable as a different and better variety of alps; and in my own case, I said so as early as my experience with the matias tp2 real-simplified board last february.

Of course I cant speak for the masses here. That said -- I dont think your argument holds much water when its looked at closely. Ie, your argument that "everyone here poo-pooed the abs m1 before they found out it was fukkas."

Exhibit A: Far from poo-pooing, see these quotes from actual reviews of the abs m1 in GH's review forum. There are three and only three reviews of the M1 in our reviews section, and they are all from before the fukka information broke. So one is from way back in december 08, the others are from way back in Jan 09 and Feb 09.

First lets look at Itlnstln's review - in which he specifically states he has not opened up the switch, so he doesnt know whats inside:

He says: "First Impressions... I should have bought this 'board sooner....I have not popped a keycap to inspect (Filco owners, help me out here), but the keys feel much heavier than those of the Dell"

""The feel of the keys is fantastic". Although the ABS has switches simiar to those in the Dell (my Dells were NIB, so usage experience will be similar), the tactile feedback is more pronounced and there is a stronger spring-back in the switch, producing a somewhat different feel. I am not sure who is making these fake Alps, but they did a phenomenal job; IMO, they feel better than the [dell] Alps switches"

And this is what he concludes - again WITHOUT KNOWING THEY ARE FUKKAS: "All in all, this is, by far, the best keyboard I have typed on... I am heading off to Newegg to order another for home right now"

Not quite a poo-poo assessment, is it? Lets look at the second review of the abs m1 on geekhack reviews forum:

This one is by inaneframe: Note inaneframe ALSO does not know they are fukka's; he is in fact under the impression that they are black alps.  

"The ABS M1 Mechanical "Gaming" Keyboard is the first "black alps switch" that I have ever used but if any other black alps are anything like this, I'm in for a real treat and for those of you who count yourselves fans of black alps, you could add another to your number".

"I have to say that I love this keyboard, I love typing on it. It is probably one of the better feeling keyboards that I have ever used"

"This keyboard, I feel will be the watermark against which I will be judging all other keyboards in the future. I think that I have found my favorite and day to day keyboard "

"As it stands, my overall impression of the ABS M1 is that it is as near to perfection as any typingboard that has ever had the pleasure of being keyed by my blessed hands"

Not quite a poo-poo assessment -- is it glowing enough for you?  Again, to reiterate: he is not aware that they are fukkas; the dastardly marketing campaign (as you characterize it) hasnt had a chance to become operative here.

Finally, from the third (and last) review of the m1 in our reviews forum -- from ozar. Now, ozar is initially on the fence with the m1; he starts out saying its nice but he's not sure yet. But just one week later, he is saying:

"I've continued to play with this board and it's starting to grow on me... it's definitely a keeper"

Not quite a poo-poo account is it?

So - I think we've established that for those who actually put their hands on an abs m1 with fukkas -- even when all three didnt realize it had fukkas --  two of them immediately loved it with gushing praise, and the other came to like it a lot.

Now lets look at what sorts of criticisms abs m1 has received, which you consider to be 'poo pooing' of the abs m1.

1) since everyone was under the impression that abs m1 had black alps, in the comments/discussion section of these reviews, those who did not actually lay their hands on the m1, but were told it was black alps, and who did not think highly of regular black alps, naturally expressed that sentiment in the comments of these reviews.  Ie, if you want to count their comments as 'poo pooing', then you have to acknowledge those are from people who didnt actually touch or use that board.

2) The rollover issue with the m1 was poo pooed, sure. That is a controller issue, not a switch issue, of course.

3) For the one or two negative comments you might find for the m1's key feel  if you search the forum from top to bottom to find them - is it that suprising that any switch will have a few detractors? If you take them into account, you certainly have to take into account the gushing extended reviews noted above by those who actually bought these boards. Would you still characterize the reception of this board's key feel, on the whole, as 'poo pooing'?

And finally, it wasnt abs marketing that brought attention to us that they were fukkas - the website only shows a side view profile diagram of the switch from which it is impossible to tell - rather, what brought us news that they were fukkas, was that someone finally opened up a switch and posted a pic of the guts.  

In the comments thread of one of the reviews above, I actually request someone post a pic of the m1's switch guts, but no one posted it. It was only many months later that that switch was identified as real-simplified/fukka.

Abs website I dont think even mentions fukkas (the filco on majestouch website does, but thats another board).  Whats more, even in the majestouch/filco case, we had gushing reviews before we had a pic, before we understood what fukka actually meant; before we connected fukka's to real-simplifieds (and thus to that switch's own previous history of  gushing reviews).

In conclusion then, rippy, I have to disagree with your assessment of what happened with the abs m1 (and its fukka switches) on this site.

You say they were poopooed until abs or other marketing defined them as fukkas, at which point you say many if not all geekhackers, lemming-like, suddenly liked it.
On nearly every point, I'd argue, your (cynical!) assessment of both this board and these switches does not hold water.
-the abs was NOT poo pooed by those who actually used and bought it. In fact it got some of the most glowing reviews any keyboard has ever gotten on this site.
-this praise did not happen after fukka or abs marketing hit us - it happened BEFORE that.

:-)  /end devils advocation.
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2009, 20:03:33 by wellington1869 »

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 00:20:11 »
I've never seen an apple poo

Offline msiegel

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 18:38:02 »
ripster, i think you're right.

if the simplified alps coming out of that alps factory are as good as our reviews say they are... then they haven't been getting enough press.  therefore the branding as fukka was a great idea.

i'll judge by my own fingers as soon as my filco zero arrives :)

wellington, thanks for digging up the positive reviews; they're helping me be less nervous about having placed that order.  (i'm still hoping to get used to these super-light cherry browns; my initial typo rate was terrible, hopefully it will continue to improve... but i'm now sure i'm a naturally forceful typist, especially having used BS for a couple of years ;)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline bigpook

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 18:51:53 »
thats quite the detective work wellington. I am half tempted to order the abs m1 just to check it out.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline bigpook

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:16:06 »
How is it that they get so dirty?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:22:28 »
Quote from: msiegel;113204
but i'm now sure i'm a naturally forceful typist, especially having used BS for a couple of years ;)

I feel the same way about my typing. I tried the light switches and couldnt stay with them. I think I just am naturally a heavy typer and so need switches on the higher end of the resistance range.

The real-simplified alps arent as heavy as bs, but still have enough feel to be meaty. For me they actually might be an ideal weight because I occasionally find the bs to be a bit heavier than i'd like.

I thought about it once and I think the reason the real-simplifieds appealed to me so much is basically because they felt similar to bs (even tho mechanism is so different) in terms of the 'substantialness' of the downstroke.

I'd be pretty happy having one bs board and one real-simplified board. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:36:17 by wellington1869 »

Offline msiegel

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:26:21 »
Quote from: ripster;113209
They felt incredibly stiff as if they were stuck.

that's the one i'm worred about

but wellington's review(s) say the clicky version of the switch has smooth action, so i figure it's worth a shot

otherwise, loud switches will be fine for me. i want the clicking and i'm planning a slider transplant to quell the clacking :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:27:16 »
Quote from: bigpook;113208
thats quite the detective work wellington. I am half tempted to order the abs m1 just to check it out.

ya, it seems like a quality board and what a great price. Although of course  the abs m1 is basically 'black fukkas' (ie, NO click, only topping/bottoming clacks, and the tactile leaf).  whereas the filco tenkeyless is basically 'white fukkas' (ie, click plus the tactility plus the clacks).  In general I've preferred the whites with the click leaf.  

But these switches are so easily moddable. For instance: aekii damper-sliders means no clack (on either board; put them on the blacks and you can get quite a silent board). Or pull the tactile leaf out altogether and you have a linear switch like the red or black cherries.  Hell, you can even substitute the spring from another alps board if you like it better.

So for $40 basically you could pick up a fukka modding board.

I still prefer the whites so I'll likely get the tenkeyless... I'm looking for a 104 key version though.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:29:27 »
ripster,
your repeated posting of that filthy next is making me want double-shot alps keycaps ;)

Offline kyamei

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:31:03 »
After spending $15 on a NIB Dell  and a little more on the NeXT I was thoroughly unimpressed with Complicated Black ALPS.

From the time I got my M1 I have always thought it's switches felt better than the AT101W.  Then again, all the Alps switches I have tried (XM white, Fukka black, complicated black, complicated white) make up my least favorite mechanical switch list.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 19:32:48 »
I find it odd that now everyone is interested in them.  

jeez rippy i thought i addressed that ;)

everyone (who didnt actually try them before) is now interested in them because now we realize they are not the usual mediocre black alps. And its heartening that of those who did try them, there were a lot of comments that they were diferent from black alps and much better. (despite the relatively few comments you can dig up from detractors). :)  I'm hardly surprised that any switch is going to have a few detractors. But it seems clear that from those who actually tried the board, most were *very* impressed and even seemed to realize these were different in some way (before they knew all the details).

If there is "fervor" now, its because we know the details and there is an explanation for that awesomeness that they had commented upon.

That said, if you like light switches (as I think you do), I dont think these switches are for you.  They're lighter than bs, but they're going to be heavier than your favorites (cherries/topres).

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 20:20:48 »
Quote from: ripster;113214
I assume all you programmers have keyboards that look like this?

Show Image

Actually, to be serious for a sec I think the ALPS design seems a little inherently more susceptible to dirt.  You got that big key stem sliding up an down.  Taking one apart I found the key stem to be grimy.  It was also very apparent typing on a NIB Dell vs the NeXT.

Show Image

No CHEETOS and Coke while hiking the ALPS!

I thought you cleaned those keycaps, Ripster.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline msiegel

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 20:33:35 »
Quote from: ripster;113214
I think the ALPS design seems a little inherently more susceptible to dirt

that's interesting -- i wonder if they actually get dirtier, or if they just respond less well to being dirty.

hmm...

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 30 August 2009, 22:39:06 »
Quote from: kyamei;112712
I already posted pictures of the M1's switch internals when I first got the board back in July -- looks the same as the Fukkas.

kyamei - you're right, you were probably the first one to post the pics of the fukka. I did not see your original post (I hadnt been paying attention to abs discussion because I had assumed it was xm or black alps); if I had seen it, I would have been very excited (just as I was when I finally saw pook's pics of it).  Because I had previous experience with that switch on my matias tp2 (which I reviewed back in february), and I loved it back then, but I thought that unfortunately no one in the world was making them anymore (The TP2 I had had controller problems; and the tp2 itself got discontinued by matias so I couldnt find a replacement; so they were amazingly hard to find.)

I liked them so much that I saved my carcass of tp2 just to be able to -- some day -- solder them into a different alps board. I liked them so much that I tried soldering them into an at101w (but my soldering skills werent good enough, I wound up burning up many of the switches and it didnt work). I liked them so much I kept the tp2 carcass in my room for another four months, hoping to save the other real-simplified switches on it for eventually soldering into yet another board.  I finally only sold off my alps spare parts and dumped the tp2 carcass just recently, having given up on both my own soldering skills and on the possiblity of finding a modern contemporary manufacturer of them.

That is why my heart skipped a beat when I saw pook's pic of the fukka. I didnt think I'd ever see those switches again on a contemporary board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 00:52:12 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 00:34:11 »
Quote from: ripster;113257

Welly, love ya man but ya gotta calm  down and just try one first and let us know what you think.

lol, dude the pics dont lie... thats a real-simplified if I ever saw one. And the reviews by cmr (the tp2 he just acquired), by itlnstln (abs), by pook (tenkeyless), by inaneframe (abs), and others, their descriptions of the fukkas, tell me its the same switch I saw on my tp2. (I dont know why you're discounting their impressions ;). But reading them, i'm pretty convinced its the same switch I liked on my tp2 back in February. But yes, I'll post a new review along with everyone else's soon as I have it...
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 00:38:28 by wellington1869 »

Offline msiegel

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 00:43:48 »
:) i'm trying to remain calm myself... and not set expectations too high... but i really do miss using alps

:nostalgia:

and i'm eagerly awaiting that zero's arrival

come on, fedex santa claus

Offline msiegel

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 00:46:36 »
@ripster

darth fader?

may the flush be with you

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 07:19:00 »
If the ABS has Fukka switches, then I will be the first to say that Fukka switches suck.  The switches in the ABS feel nothing like the Alps blacks in the Dell AT-101W.  They are stiffer, louder and have more tactility than the Alps in the Dells.  If Fukka is using the same factory and machinery as Alps, then I would imagine they would feel much closer to the Dells' switches than they currently do.  The members that have tried the white version of the switches have said they feel almost exactly like original Alps (which they should, all things considered).  That being said, either the ABS does not have Fukka switches, or Fukka did a pretty crappy job on the switches used in the ABS M1.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 07:22:24 »
Oh, and one of those glowing reviews of the ABS was mine.  It is a pretty nice 'board when new, but over time, the switches get tough and heavy.  They become more "balky" a la big pook.  The tactility was nice, which really impressed me, but the switches became too stiff to use over the long haul.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 08:05:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;113298
Oh, and one of those glowing reviews of the ABS was mine.  It is a pretty nice 'board when new, but over time, the switches get tough and heavy.  They become more "balky" a la big pook.  The tactility was nice, which really impressed me, but the switches became too stiff to use over the long haul.

are you sure these weren't the XM switches? I had those with the first run of the filco zero.
The newer fukka's are completely different. I don't detect any balkyness ( I think I just made up a word ) they also seem to be more springier.

I also liked the tactility of the XM's at first. It was pretty awesome actually. But the downside was the switches beat up my fingers and fatigue set in. I never experienced that, even on the BS keys.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 08:46:13 »
Quote from: bigpook;113308
are you sure these weren't the XM switches? I had those with the first run of the filco zero.
The newer fukka's are completely different. I don't detect any balkyness ( I think I just made up a word ) they also seem to be more springier.

I also liked the tactility of the XM's at first. It was pretty awesome actually. But the downside was the switches beat up my fingers and fatigue set in. I never experienced that, even on the BS keys.

I don't know. My experience seems to have mirrored yours. The switches were awesome at first, but over time, they became stiff and heavy.

I think many times, we focus on as many good things as we can in a review since we just spent a bunch of money on a new keyboard, so if there is any redeeming value of said keyboard, we latch on it to "justify" the expenditure. That said, when the newness wears off, we start to see the keyboard for what it really is, and in this case, it turned otu to be a minor disappointment. Hell, I thought this 'board was so good when I got it, that I bought a second. Now that have been on Cherry browns for quite awhile now, I might buy another Filco or Cherry, but I should not have bought a second M1.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 09:06:49 »
Yeah, we all make some mistakes. I am thinking you don't have the fukka switches though.
One way to salvage it is to get a dell at101 and swap the keys.

But if you are really liking the cherry browns, then even the black alps may be a bit too much.

I put the cherry browns down as the lightest switch I have yet to use, then the topres, then the black alps.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 09:16:09 »
I have used my Dells a few times since getting my Cherry 'boards, and they are still nice, but I like the lightness of the Cherrys better.

Offline kyamei

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 09:17:38 »
Quote from: itlnstln;113296
If the ABS has Fukka switches, then I will be the first to say that Fukka switches suck.  The switches in the ABS feel nothing like the Alps blacks in the Dell AT-101W.

Considering that your board looks different from the current board, I'd say the chances are good that it has XM switches.  Why not open a switch and take a look?

I'm not trying to defend Fukkas, I'm just curious.  I personally don't think very highly of any of the Alps variations I have tried.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 August 2009, 09:19:52 by kyamei »

Offline bigpook

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 09:19:50 »
No doubt, the cherry browns are probably the lightest switch going right now. I think any switch in comparison will seem heavier.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 31 August 2009, 09:49:45 »
Quote from: kyamei;113328
Considering that your board looks different from the current board, I'd say the chances are good that it has XM switches. Why not open a switch and take a look?

I'm not trying to defend Fukkas, I'm just curious. I personally don't think very highly of any of the Alps variations I have tried.

That may very well be.  I'll try to at least pull a cap to see what the top of the switch looks like.

Now that I have used Cherrys for awhile, I'm not as high on Alps as I used to be.  It's not even because they are stiffer than the Cherry browns.  I don't think they are as smooth or refined of a switch as the Cherrys or BS.