Author Topic: DT225 trackball for $15 OBO (am I missing something?)  (Read 21219 times)

Offline AndrewZorn

am I missing something?
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 15 October 2009, 08:00:11 »
170 degrees for 1920 pixels is pretty good.  since i wont be using it primarily this sounds actually about right.

the thing is... do the DIP switches actually increase sensitivity, or interpolate (as increasing software sensitivity does)?  it will be hard to test, many people don't know or care, but a DIP switch to interpolate really isn't that handy.

ripster has a thread somewhere about steel balls and a bunch of mice different sizes work in.

and of COURSE the HHKB is equipped with instantaneous instruction.  goes perfectly with the ability to program it anywhere... with no additional equipment.   making it better than your silly "software"...

Offline chuckading

anyone tried this trackball in OSX?
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 22:29:03 »
Anyone tried plugging this trackball into a PS/2 to USB converter and then into an apple computer?

I would like to use this in OSX and was curious if anyone has attempted yet.  

Thanks

Offline rdh

am I missing something?
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 17 October 2009, 23:33:40 »
Quote from: chuckading;126519
Anyone tried plugging this trackball into a PS/2 to USB converter and then into an apple computer?

Works for me.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline chuckading

am I missing something?
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 00:26:57 »
Yeah, I'm aware they are sold out and glad that I ordered two when I could.  I am really curious about getting the trackball to scroll in OSX.  I have bought a ps2/usb adapter and installed the software recommended on this forum for Windows.  But for OSX, I do not see any available options in the system preferences to program a button to enable scrolling.  

Rdh, can you scroll?

If not... I have noticed some software available from Logitech and Macally for trackballs.  Any wild chance either of those would work?

My package of two won't be delivered until Monday, and this question has bugged me ever since this thread started.

Thanks a bunch

Offline rdh

am I missing something?
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 01:29:51 »
Quote from: chuckading;126530
Rdh, can you scroll?

I installed the "Scrollbar Anywhere" Firefox plugin, but aside from that, I haven't tried very hard to locate suitable software.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
am I missing something?
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 01:31:06 »
Been using the Marble Mouse Scroll utility mentioned here; works in Opera, not IE8.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline chuckading

am I missing something?
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 01:47:57 »
Thanks Rdh, I'll definitely install that for firefox, but I almost exclusively use safari and I hope to find a way to scroll there.  I guess I'll have to give firefox a go more often.

I may install the software from logitech and macally just to see if it works. I know it's probably like a one in a hundred chance, but I'd rather know for sure what my options are with this trackball.

Thanks again Rdh

Offline chuckading

am I missing something?
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 01:55:04 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;126533
Been using the Marble Mouse Scroll utility mentioned here; works in Opera, not IE8.

Yeah, I have installed "Marble Mouse Scroll" on my XP machine, but my concern is getting scroll to work in apple's OSX, 10.6.1 (10.6.2 around the corner).  I don't need horizontal scrolling, but it'd be nice to vertically scroll in safari, mail, and iTunes (over 7000 songs).

Offline rdh

am I missing something?
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 02:11:29 »
Quote from: chuckading;126535

I may install the software from logitech and macally just to see if it works. I know it's probably like a one in a hundred chance, but I'd rather know for sure what my options are with this trackball.

I did a little Googling and one thing you might check out is Smart Scroll.  It does a bunch of scroll-related things, and it might suit your needs.   It's $19, but has a free trial.

Let us know if the Logitech or Macally software does the trick for you.  :-)

Offline texteur

am I missing something?
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 03:27:45 »
Quote from: rdh;126537
I did a little Googling and one thing you might check out is Smart Scroll.  It does a bunch of scroll-related things, and it might suit your needs.   It's $19, but has a free trial.

Because of you, rdh, I've spent $19 for a... quite nice app!

Your message wasn't meant for me but y'know, threads...

Thanks!
IBM Model M Space Saver, 1391472, PS/2, US layout, year 1987 | Apple Standard Keyboard, M0118, ADB, Swiss French layout, year 1987 | IBM Model M, 1391401, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M Space Saver, 1392934, PS/2, US layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1988 | IBM Model M, 1391403, PS/2, German layout, year 1991 | Apple Extended Keyboard II, M3501, ADB, ANSI layout, year 1995 | DSI Switch Mac Keyboard, SMK-88SMK88-EM/JM, Black Cherry Switches, USB 1.1 & 2.0, ANSI layout, year 2006 | Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, white with blank keycaps, PD-KB400WN, Topre 45g switches, USB, UNIX key layout, year 2007 | Das Keyboard Ultimate, DASK3, USB, European layout, year 2008 | Topre Realforce 86U, SE0500, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Topre Realforce 87UB, SE1700, USB, ANSI layout, ergonomically weighted switches, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch "Otaku", FKBN104MC/NPEK, Blue Cherry MX switches, USB, ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Touch, FKBN87M/EB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, 87 Key ANSI layout, year 2009 | Filco Majestouch Ten Key Extended Keypad, FKB22MB, Brown Cherry MX Switches, USB, year 2009
[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

Offline chuckading

am I missing something?
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 03:55:24 »
Quote from: rdh;126537
I did a little Googling and one thing you might check out is Smart Scroll. )

Wow oh wow, this application is handy.  I installed and I'm during "evaluation" of the software, but so far this application is really handy for the trackball or mouse.

The Hover Scroll feature is the only thing I've experimented with and I find it perfect with only one flaw.

In Hover Scroll, you can create specific settings for as many individual applications as you want, or apply settings to all applications, as well as have settings for both, individual settings, and then a setting for all those w/o an individual setting. Hope that's not too confusing...

The Hover scroll WORKS both horizontally and vertically in Finder, Preview, Safari, Mail, iWeb, iChat, iPhoto, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Address Book, and CandyBar.

The Hover scroll feature does NOT WORK with iTunes, iCal (weekly mode), Logic Express 8, Microsoft Office 08, and MSN Messenger.

In Safari, the hover scroll function works in smaller text boxes inlayed in the page like the one I'm typing this reply. In Preview, while viewing a picture larger than the window, both vertical and horizontal hover zones pick up and allow for diagonal scrolling.

Not being able to scroll in iTunes and the Microsoft Office suite is a negative.  I would imagine this can be updated though by the developers of Smart Scroll. I really need it in iTunes.  Even if I type "Rolling Stones" in my search box, I yield 20 LP/EPs... or 197 songs.  I'll need scroll in iTunes to make this a big winner.  I'm on the fence of wether or not I'll be spending the 19 bucks to register this software.

Thanks again Rdh for your OSX help

Offline FourOhFour

am I missing something?
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 18 October 2009, 06:58:59 »
KeyRemap4MacBook can enable scrolling while holding down the fn key or right, middle, or fourth click. If you don't have an fn key, it can also map a whole selection of keys on the keyboard to fn.

The interface is... meh. But the price is right.