Author Topic: Granite Round 4 design update  (Read 110248 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Granite Round 4 design update
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 07:45:35 »
Matt design skills are second to none, but legends for a fictional language? well, I'd prefer some commitment to make the warping of keys at the dyeing process to get improved, as a reason to get another set; but, I understand that is beyond the reach of anyone, but SP engineers.

Offline OneDudeWolfPack

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 07:48:31 »
Another thought that I had was to bring back the GKK with the Red font on WASD that was in my Round 1.  Everyone that sees my WASD board with Round 1 likes how discrete it is.  This pic below also shows how the + and - keys are lined up when putting them near the index finger.

*Disclaimer: not my ergodox in the pic.
WASD V2 Blue MX 87-key Granite R2 | WASD Code Clear MX 104-key w/ Granite R1 | Ergodox #1 - Full with Green MX & Granite R3 keycaps | Ergodox #2 - Full with Blue MX Granite R2

Offline neverused

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 07:52:14 »
This might be the missing language

Show Image

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 07:52:38 »
Matt design skills are second to none, but legends for a fictional language? well, I'd prefer some commitment to make the warping of keys at the dyeing process to get improved, as a reason to get another set; but, I understand that is beyond the reach of anyone, but SP engineers.

Wasn't Sindarin heavily worked on by he and samwisekoi?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 07:55:59 »
Sorry, I should have asked the question better. I meant differently colored HJKL keys, like a WASD pack, not a novelty Vim key. Another, more polarizing option would be to have the HJKL legends also include the arrows like the original ADM-3A terminal. I had SP make these legends already.

my bad, I read "vim key" instead of "vim kit". Yes, that would be a good idea.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:02:00 »
alps???
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline braidn

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:02:39 »

Show Image

Wow I thought you were joking!

So psyched he wasn't.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:11:40 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 08:23:23 »
alps!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline getf

• In Rod We Trust
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 09:56:07 »
Any chance of a DCS version set? I really enjoyed how your work on TOXiC and Midnight turned out. Its a wonderful profile that has great ergonomics.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:17:08 »
Any chance of a DCS version set? I really enjoyed how your work on TOXiC and Midnight turned out. Its a wonderful profile that has great ergonomics.

PBT DCS is really too thin, but I'm in talk for a cherry replica profile in PBT.

Offline tDr1v3r

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:26:15 »

PBT DCS is really too thin, but I'm in talk for a cherry replica profile in PBT.
That would be really great... DSA isn't really my style, but the Cherry / DCS profiles are amazing.

Any chance for some arrow keys for 60% users? Deep dished or side printed, it doesn't matter.
razer blackwidow tournament edition w/ mx blues, vortex pok3r w/ mx browns, b.face x2 - wip w/ tex acrylic case, silver plate and 65g tactile zealios

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 10:32:59 »
Now that you introduced Sindarin, my wallet hates keyboards.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 11:24:37 »

I know right :)

Any chance for some arrow keys for 60% users? Deep dished or side printed, it doesn't matter.

you mean as a secondary legend on WASD or IJKL and such?

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 11:29:55 »
I'm in talk for a cherry replica profile in PBT.
Now we are talking business. :D

Offline tDr1v3r

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 11:55:41 »

I know right :)

you mean as a secondary legend on WASD or IJKL and such?

Yup.
razer blackwidow tournament edition w/ mx blues, vortex pok3r w/ mx browns, b.face x2 - wip w/ tex acrylic case, silver plate and 65g tactile zealios

Offline burnerturner

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 15:33:46 »
I would love to see the same color of blue back for the gamer kits and enter keys.  I just think that color goes so well with the rest of the kit, and seems to be a community favorite.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 15:35:58 »

You meant a thick PBT Cherry profile like Gateron's PBT?

Offline cerdra

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:31:59 »
In the Vim kit, if one is printed, I'd love to see 1u and 1.75 size keycaps printed with the Vim logo on it, in the grey and blue modifier key colors. I often remap my Caps Lock key to Escape (at least using Vim), and I'd want to have that key as well as my escape key match the rest of the board, with a nice solid grey logo.
Also thanks for doing this drop again, I love this keycap set after my friend showed me his, and didn't think I'd get to purchase my own set directly from the manufacturer.

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 16:57:05 »

I just got a DCS keyset and was really hoping that round 4 would still be DSA...

Offline neverused

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:50:56 »
Is this the only time I can expect to see Sindarin on a set? I'm not big on DSA but if this is the only chance of getting it, I'll take it.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:07:33 »

Show Image

I can't believe I missed this picture at first, this is a must for me. Looks really good Matt3o! :thumb:

Lord of the Rings is by far my all-time favorite trilogy. :D
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 01:57:25 »
Is this the only time I can expect to see Sindarin on a set? I'm not big on DSA but if this is the only chance of getting it, I'll take it.

Sindarin for sure won't be replicated. Ever.

I can't believe I missed this picture at first, this is a must for me. Looks really good Matt3o! :thumb:

Lord of the Rings is by far my all-time favorite trilogy. :D

tell me about it :)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 11:31:32 »
Nitpicking a little bit:

You should call that elvish set Tengwar, not Sindarin. Sindarin, the language of the Sindar, is one of the elvish languages that uses Tengwar as writing system. Quenya also uses Tengwar and was spoken/written by the Noldor, one of the elven clans that went to Valinor.

Tengwar is the Quenya word for 'letters'.

(Tolkien nerd here, I beg your pardon. I like the movies, but I prefer the books.)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 11:39:21 »
Nitpicking a little bit:

You should call that elvish set Tengwar, not Sindarin. Sindarin, the language of the Sindar, is one of the elvish languages that uses Tengwar as writing system. Quenya also uses Tengwar and was spoken/written by the Noldor, one of the elven clans that went to Valinor.

(Tolkien nerd here, I beg your pardon. I like the movies, but I prefer the books.)

You should check out the thread about the Sindarin set.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 12:06:04 »
Nitpicking a little bit:

Listen to romevi :)

You should check out the thread about the Sindarin set.

Here I make easy for you https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38264.msg842147#msg842147
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2016, 12:08:00 by Matt3o »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 13:59:20 »
Probably going to spend $200+ in this round seeming it's the last. Go hard or go home.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:08:21 »
Probably going to spend $200+ in this round seeming it's the last. Go hard or go home.

That's what I'm talking about. :p

I spent $150 the last round but I'm finding it's not enough, definitely planning on picking up the few extra kits that I don't have. :D
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:14:21 »
Very excited for this round of Granite! Will probably be ordering almost everything with it... My B. Mini is naked without a set right now, been waiting for Granite to cover it since I can't find any cheap keysets for it in the meanwhile

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 10:08:41 »
So here's an idea that hasn't been in Granite before (I think):

Have a "Programmers Pack" with IDE/Debugger symbols on it. For example, Step over/into/out and resume, pause, stop, etc. would be nice to have. Obviously the JetBrains icons wouldn't fit well with the theme of the set, but the general idea of the icons (the way the arrows point, etc) would be the same across lots of IDEs and could be re-imagined to fit Granite.

In round 3, some of the icon mods for home/end/insert could be step out/into/over in a pinch, the 1u tab could be run-to-cursor and some of the media keys could be used for resume and end. But there's still not a perfect way to get all the right symbols, plus you would have to steal keys from other spots on the boards :)

There could also be a programming language pack (or include in the programmer pack?). I do a TON of python programming and would love a python logo key. Other language logos (Ruby, Java pls dont kill me, HTML5, CSS, etc.) could also be included in the pack.

Other novelty icon ideas:

• Raspberry Pi
  • Arduino
  • Debian (might be kinda cool given the recent unfortunate loss of Ian Murdock)
  • BitTorrent

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 16:00:54 »

Have a "Programmers Pack" with IDE/Debugger symbols on it. For example, Step over/into/out and resume, pause, stop, etc. would be nice to have. Obviously the JetBrains icons wouldn't fit well with the theme of the set, but the general idea of the icons (the way the arrows point, etc) would be the same across lots of IDEs and could be re-imagined to fit Granite.

In round 3, some of the icon mods for home/end/insert could be step out/into/over in a pinch, the 1u tab could be run-to-cursor and some of the media keys could be used for resume and end. But there's still not a perfect way to get all the right symbols, plus you would have to steal keys from other spots on the boards :)

There could also be a programming language pack (or include in the programmer pack?). I do a TON of python programming and would love a python logo key. Other language logos (Ruby, Java pls dont kill me, HTML5, CSS, etc.) could also be included in the pack.

• Raspberry Pi
  • Arduino
  • BitTorrent

A python and raspberry pi logo key would be amazing!
Yoda grammar best has

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 16:36:32 »

• Raspberry Pi
  • Arduino
  • BitTorrent

+1 for the programming pack :)

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 16:46:51 »
Do you think you could get the Windows 98' keys like the one in Ivan's PBT Round 4? What about SA-profile? Even if it's all Row 3.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 17:01:41 »
Do you think you could get the Windows 98' keys like the one in Ivan's PBT Round 4? What about SA-profile? Even if it's all Row 3.

that should be already included in the win-kit

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 17:06:21 »

that should be already included in the win-kit

Oh awesome :D thank you for the fast reply.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #85 on: Sat, 02 January 2016, 17:39:09 »
What about SA-profile? Even if it's all Row 3.

Last time SA profile was suggested, the answer was no since SP can't dye sub SA caps.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 07:21:46 »
Another kit I'm evaluating.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 08:41:58 »
Secondary legends would really be nice. Have you any thought on side printed as an option?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 08:45:41 »
Secondary legends would really be nice. Have you any thought on side printed as an option?

SP can't dye-sub side printed legends

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 09:44:16 »

Show Image

The keys that have two legends on already should have the 3rd legend in the middle, not awkwardly next to the bottom legend in my opinion.

Offline skipped

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 11:38:45 »

Show Image

I like this a lot

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 13:02:16 »
Please also send suggestions for the novelty keys!

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 16:49:11 »

A robot similar to your avatar, a volcano (where granite is formed), or a cap that says "granite" on it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Raspberry Pi foundation would allow you to use their logo if you ask  ;D
Yoda grammar best has

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 17:06:34 »
A robot similar to your avatar, a volcano (where granite is formed), or a cap that says "granite" on it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Raspberry Pi foundation would allow you to use their logo if you ask  ;D

Did some digging and it might not be easy :(

You may not:
(iv) manufacture, sell or give away any items of merchandise bearing the Raspberry Pi marks, such as T-shirts, caps, pens, stickers, mugs etc. (unless you have a separate express written trade mark licence from us);

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 17:09:13 »

I think having the exact robot in his avatar would be a great send off for the final run of Granites.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 18:57:03 »
For the slackers like myself that ignored rounds 1 to 3, which keys can we expect to not make it into R4?

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:07:35 »
I think having the exact robot in his avatar would be a great send off for the final run of Granites.

Pretty sure they had one of those in the nerdom kit from round 1.

Offline DaveW

• zer0knowledge
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:07:57 »

Show Image

Big fan of this addition.

Maybe instead a custom E key that is a 3 (as in Matt3o)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2016, 19:18:33 by DaveW »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 20:22:30 »

Show Image

Good idea.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 03 January 2016, 21:34:39 »

Nope, just an average, normal robot:

Another Linux Tux would be cool though .
Yoda grammar best has