Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 251472 times)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Which email? I didn't get any...

Input Club newsletter was the only one I'm aware of.

I got the info through Norbauer's own newsletter.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline HotRoderX

Would really like a update on if this thread will continue to be actively updated related to the group buy. Once more I have no reason/desire to go to another website. Specially one I find questionable for my own reasons. That I won't get into at this time.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Would really like a update on if this thread will continue to be actively updated related to the group buy. Once more I have no reason/desire to go to another website. Specially one I find questionable for my own reasons. That I won't get into at this time.

He's said that he will in another thread.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Ah, hmmm. Read the email, missed the founding of a new site thing. Feel like reasonable expectations would be to update via the usual methods unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Not really worried about it.

Absolutely, and thanks for the faith. :) GeekHack has been the home of my passion here for a long time, and I'm not quite ready to jump ship entirely yet; I just thought an alternative needed to exist. I certainly won't stop updating my remaining two existing group buys. However, I'll be doing new GBs and Interest Checks over at Keebtalk.

Incidentally, just for fun, here is where the Norbaforces are right now. (The little green ship.)

Offline Rumblehotep

hype intensifies

Offline YouGotRioted

Anyone interested in taking my tactical black anodized spot?

Offline teh_pengers

Anyone interested in taking my tactical black anodized spot?

PMed

Offline moitorpsychoo

Ah, hmmm. Read the email, missed the founding of a new site thing. Feel like reasonable expectations would be to update via the usual methods unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Absolutely, and thanks for the faith. :) GeekHack has been the home of my passion here for a long time, and I'm not quite ready to jump ship entirely yet; I just thought an alternative needed to exist. I certainly won't stop updating my remaining two existing group buys. However, I'll be doing new GBs and Interest Checks over at Keebtalk.

Incidentally, just for fun, here is where the Norbaforces are right now. (The little green ship.)

Show Image

ETA: 2018-7-10!!!!!

Offline norbauer

Show Image

They're actually coming to the Port of Oakland (SF), not LAX, so I think it'll be July 15 that the ship goes into port, according to the schedule.

Offline EugeneYap83

Show Image

They're actually coming to the Port of Oakland (SF), not LAX, so I think it'll be July 15 that the ship goes into port, according to the schedule.

Sounds about right 2.1kn = 3.9Km/h, which is about casual walking speed.
I wish the ship would cruise much faster, like 20 times faster.

Offline anorphirith

Show Image

that's a very strange position for the ship to be in if they're going to LAX, they don't follow the earth's curvature & they're way too high, I'm assuming the ship's position is randomized to avoid pirate attacks haha

Offline norbauer

Show Image

that's a very strange position for the ship to be in if they're going to LAX, they don't follow the earth's curvature & they're way too high, I'm assuming the ship's position is randomized to avoid pirate attacks haha

Ha. I had a similar thought, but these ships all have real-time, publicly-available satellite tracking. Maybe pirates don’t know how to work the internet tho.

Offline tron

Quick question about the Enigma Gray powder coat color. Will it be closer to the medium/pantone gray in the video or darker like the swatch example? I may end up trading mine if it comes out too dark.

Offline norbauer

Quick question about the Enigma Gray powder coat color. Will it be closer to the medium/pantone gray in the video or darker like the swatch example? I may end up trading mine if it comes out too dark.

This one is hard to characterize verbally since it depends pretty heavily on the lighting environment. In direct sunlight it looks like a medium gray, but in a more shady environment it looks darker, more like the swatch image. Sorry, I realize this doesn't help too much. =\ It's always really hard to give a feel for a finish from photos, since both monitors vary greatly and also the lighting situations in which people will actually be using the keyboards.

Offline duckboi

Thanks for that latest update, getting excited for this!
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline norbauer

Me too. It'll probably take a couple more weeks or so to get to me, but at least the shipment is supposed to be here in the Bay Area as of tomorrow!

Offline vinzlr

Me too. It'll probably take a couple more weeks or so to get to me, but at least the shipment is supposed to be here in the Bay Area as of tomorrow!

And this shipment does not contain the powder coated boards correct?

Offline norbauer

It does. They just haven't been powder coated yet. ;) That happens here in California.

Offline HotRoderX

Would you say most likely shipping around August/September?

Offline norbauer

Would you say most likely shipping around August/September?

Yes, that range should safely include both the anodized and powder cases, with the anodized going out first.

Offline vinzlr

It does. They just haven't been powder coated yet. ;) That happens here in California.

Thanks for the clarification! I can't wait to get mine  :)

Offline titanium

Will you be doing a Norbaforce R2 for the new Realforce board that's coming out at the end of the month?  ;D

Offline chakku

• airi.su
R2s seem like a slap in the face to Realforce owners. They're more like a Type Heaven with Realforce branding slapped on (especially the Realforce RGB which didn't even come with PBT caps).

Offline le_wraith

R2s seem like a slap in the face to Realforce owners. They're more like a Type Heaven with Realforce branding slapped on (especially the Realforce RGB which didn't even come with PBT caps).
Have you tried the non - RGB version? It's super nice. And has APC.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline hayt

• * Maker

Agreed. It feels like they stripped away the heart and soul of what makes the realforce design language so special. Hard pass.

Offline Wetherbee

I find the tolerances on the R2 to be much tighter and, although plastic, the case is much more solid and less hollow than the creaky 86/87/88/89/91U cases. APC is also a good feature. Overall I'm very impressed with the R2. It may not have that vintage charm of an 11-year old design but there are clear and undisputable improvements to overall build quality. Aesthetically I prefer the rounder edges of the older design but I do like the new LED placement. Ironically the feature I used to hate, the huge forehead on the Realforce, is now so endearing to me that I prefer it. I've come full-circle. I don't think that newcomers to the hobby will appreciate that vintage forehead as much as us old timers. It was only there due to laziness or limitations of PCB design at the time when the 86U was originally conceived.. but now it is an almost timeless callback to classic big-forehead designs like OG Cherry and Model M. Newcomers will also appreciate that Topre has finally capitulated to implementing the Standard ANSI layout on the R2.

The Norbaforce most impresses because it looks both old and new at the same time. It is the juxtaposition of a classic but represents forward movement. It addresses what is weak about the classic Realforce, and the combination elevates the industrial design into art, somehow almost mid-century modern. The killer feature that Norbauer introduces here is the seamless front on his cases. It turns a keyboard into more of an industrial object, seamless in appearance. It was my biggest complaint about the digilog besides the ass-ugly feet which Norbauer also addressed.

The XRF series is going to be another contemporary expression of the timeless Realforce design with only an 18mm front which many will find more comfortable to type on, with some really innovative features coming for enthusiasts that are blowing my mind, including the promise of interchangeable parts which will help all Topre enthusiasts regardless of which keyboard you prefer. I'm also very excited to see how the TGR-Zooey turns out. Clappingcactus did some great work researching brass backplates for the Norbaforce and I'm excited to hear that Norbauer will be offering them, hopefully with a mirror polish and protective PVD coating for that HHKB HG throwback.

I suspect the Realforce RGB TKL when it is released will exceed the new Novatouch in design (the price and competition in the RGB market will likely never make it as popular) and Norbauer has position himself very well to capture the market that will demand metal cases for it, which I suspect will also be interchangeable with the R2 since the cases will be exactly the same specifications. Tolerances are tight, the RGB (non-TKL) has proven to have some of the smoothest MX stabilizer sliders available anywhere, and the combination of APC, per-key RGB, and genuine Topre switches mean that you have a zero-compromises board that you can still tweak to your hearts desire. In my mind the Norbaforce WKL demands the Tsangan layout of the 86U (at least in the US). The last problem we have to solve is how to get a stepped caps working to complete that vintage look, and Bro Caps has come through with center-stem Topre artisans that will fill that niche, although they are unfortunately unprinted due to their material and the colors don't match any of the Topre manufactured keycaps (although arguably the resin material is even nicer to touch than PBT). Also exciting is kbdfans announcing the very first aftermarket Topre keyset inspired by the 9009 colorway, although I don't think they understand that they need to support 6.25u spacebars for the R2 and 7u spacebars for the WKL 86u layouts - they only seem to be targeting the 87u/HHKB Market and missing some important enthusiast molds (a center-stem caps would seal the deal).

My hope is that Norbauer keeps his promise to not run the Norbaforce cases again because I want to see him move forward and continue to innovate rather than spend his time echoing back to his past work as a designer. I have no qualms, though, that he will still be wildly successful when he decides to do a run for the R2/RGB TKL (when announced), which I just see as inevitable given his position in the market. The XRF is also going to be a major contender if it comes out as well as I think it will, so for those folks who are sad that they missed out on a Norbaforce, keep your eyes open and set the XRF thread to watch/notify.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 July 2018, 00:53:49 by Wetherbee »

Offline muika

[/quote]

Yes, that range should safely include both the anodized and powder cases, with the anodized going out first.
[/quote]

Thanks. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
HHKB Pro 2 | Cherry G80 MX 1800 Red | Ducky DK9008S MX Blue

Offline Kerasan

I find the tolerances on the R2 to be much tighter and, although plastic, the case is much more solid and less hollow than the creaky 86/87/88/89/91U cases. APC is also a good feature. Overall I'm very impressed with the R2. It may not have that vintage charm of an 11-year old design but there are clear and undisputable improvements to overall build quality. Aesthetically I prefer the rounder edges of the older design but I do like the new LED placement. Ironically the feature I used to hate, the huge forehead on the Realforce, is now so endearing to me that I prefer it. I've come full-circle. I don't think that newcomers to the hobby will appreciate that vintage forehead as much as us old timers. It was only there due to laziness or limitations of PCB design at the time when the 86U was originally conceived.. but now it is an almost timeless callback to classic big-forehead designs like OG Cherry and Model M. Newcomers will also appreciate that Topre has finally capitulated to implementing the Standard ANSI layout on the R2.

The Norbaforce most impresses because it looks both old and new at the same time. It is the juxtaposition of a classic but represents forward movement. It addresses what is weak about the classic Realforce, and the combination elevates the industrial design into art, somehow almost mid-century modern. The killer feature that Norbauer introduces here is the seamless front on his cases. It turns a keyboard into more of an industrial object, seamless in appearance. It was my biggest complaint about the digilog besides the ass-ugly feet which Norbauer also addressed.

The XRF series is going to be another contemporary expression of the timeless Realforce design with only an 18mm front which many will find more comfortable to type on, with some really innovative features coming for enthusiasts that are blowing my mind, including the promise of interchangeable parts which will help all Topre enthusiasts regardless of which keyboard you prefer. I'm also very excited to see how the TGR-Zooey turns out. Clappingcactus did some great work researching brass backplates for the Norbaforce and I'm excited to hear that Norbauer will be offering them, hopefully with a mirror polish and protective PVD coating for that HHKB HG throwback.

I suspect the Realforce RGB TKL when it is released will exceed the new Novatouch in design (the price and competition in the RGB market will likely never make it as popular) and Norbauer has position himself very well to capture the market that will demand metal cases for it, which I suspect will also be interchangeable with the R2 since the cases will be exactly the same specifications. Tolerances are tight, the RGB (non-TKL) has proven to have some of the smoothest MX stabilizer sliders available anywhere, and the combination of APC, per-key RGB, and genuine Topre switches mean that you have a zero-compromises board that you can still tweak to your hearts desire. In my mind the Norbaforce WKL demands the Tsangan layout of the 86U (at least in the US). The last problem we have to solve is how to get a stepped caps working to complete that vintage look, and Bro Caps has come through with center-stem Topre artisans that will fill that niche, although they are unfortunately unprinted due to their material and the colors don't match any of the Topre manufactured keycaps (although arguably the resin material is even nicer to touch than PBT). Also exciting is kbdfans announcing the very first aftermarket Topre keyset inspired by the 9009 colorway, although I don't think they understand that they need to support 6.25u spacebars for the R2 and 7u spacebars for the WKL 86u layouts - they only seem to be targeting the 87u/HHKB Market and missing some important enthusiast molds (a center-stem caps would seal the deal).

My hope is that Norbauer keeps his promise to not run the Norbaforce cases again because I want to see him move forward and continue to innovate rather than spend his time echoing back to his past work as a designer. I have no qualms, though, that he will still be wildly successful when he decides to do a run for the R2/RGB TKL (when announced), which I just see as inevitable given his position in the market. The XRF is also going to be a major contender if it comes out as well as I think it will, so for those folks who are sad that they missed out on a Norbaforce, keep your eyes open and set the XRF thread to watch/notify.

Always enlightening interventions when talking about topre

bottom case steel / brass pvd
custom plate steel / brass pvd

would be great

KMK Labs.

Offline Wetherbee

would be great

Maybe possible in the near future.  :eek:

Offline Kerasan

would be great

oh, I dont know that curious proverb, but I've got the sense and I hope it's like you say, my realforce has a plate already oxidized in the corners after only 2 years, it needs this.

Offline Wetherbee

oh, I dont know that curious proverb, but I've got the sense and I hope it's like you say, my realforce has a plate already oxidized in the corners after only 2 years, it needs this.

Agreed. Topre didn't seal the steel. I have a stack of keyboards with rusting plates. A PVD coating would do wonders to seal oxidation away from the metal.

Offline Kerasan

Agreed. Topre didn't seal the steel. I have a stack of keyboards with rusting plates. A PVD coating would do wonders to seal oxidation away from the metal.

it would be a must have for me and I think for many other guys, we just have to wait and hope ehehehe

KMK Labs.

Offline EugeneYap83

would be great

Is your steel plate comes with black coating?
I currently own the white version and plate is begaining to rust within a year.
Recently I brought the black version and kinda worried that it might rust as well dispite the coating.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Recently I brought the black version and kinda worried that it might rust as well dispite the coating.

I have a black 88U and it suffers from the same issue.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline norbauer

Thoughtful analysis as always, Wetherbee.

Thanks for noticing and appreciating all these details. Many of them come directly out of evolving sensibilities that grew out of my Novatouch project and lessons learned from it. Others are just my getting better at expressing my own aesthetic preferences in object form (I'm a huge admirer midcentury modern design, so I was happy to see you cite that).

Clappingcactus did some great work researching brass backplates for the Norbaforce and I'm excited to hear that Norbauer will be offering them, hopefully with a mirror polish and protective PVD coating for that HHKB HG throwback.

He and I were actually discussing this today. I got a PVD back-plate sample recently and it looks great (and is crazy heavy). I just want to focus on getting the actual Norbaforces out the door and then I'll tackle the two "supplemental" projects of the numpad and PVD upgrade back-plates. I'm currently experimenting with rose gold and other non-black PVD finishes, both for the Heavy-6 and Norbaforce backplates.

Hehe. You're perhaps ascribing more intentionality to my market "positioning" than I could rightly claim credit for, but if Topre comes out with a good RGB TKL, I'll certainly be interested in making something for it, if only because I'll personally be very interested in the board itself. I have a 100% RGB currently sitting connected to one of the ancillary computers in my office, and I don't love it but I don't hate it either. I also have similar feelings about the Novatouch. They're both really close to the RealForce feeling, but not quite there for me. I'm not sure if it's an issue of tolerances or just something inherent to the MX-compatible stem geometry, but they both feel and sound a bit different to me. There is a certain ineffable magic in the RealForce. I just hope Topre will come out with something that somehow retains that and allows me to use interesting MX keycaps. :) The dream persists.

Also, I think xondat is both personally very nice and does really cool work, so I don't want to compete/contend at at all. I think there's more than room for both designs. Maybe we can both collaborate on something at some point.

I don't think I ever went so far as to promise per se not to do another run of Norbaforces, but I would say that at this point I definitely have some significant hesitation. This project has been monumentally long and somewhat complicated given the various components coming from various different vendors, so even though we're in the home stretch now, I'm not super keen to repeat it immediately. As you say, I'd rather focus on more interesting new design challenges. But I can also be a bit of a pushover when it comes to this, and I can only answer so many emails telling people no before I start to feel bad. So we'll see. Someday/maybe.

Offline norbauer

I have a quick update btw. I've confirmed the cases are now in the Port of Oakland and loaded off the ship. Now comes the hardest part of the wait: the last little bit. If previous experience is any indication, this involves filling out and scanning lots forms, paying a million little (and some not-so-little) fees for services with nonsensical names, and the tedious wait for customs clearance before scheduling final delivery.  Shouldn't be too long now though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 12:39:56 by norbauer »

Offline EugeneYap83

I have a black 88U and it suffers from the same issue.

Bummer  :(. I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue. The humidity in my area terribly high.

He and I were actually discussing this today. I got a PVD back-plate sample recently and it looks great (and is crazy heavy). I just want to focus on getting the actual Norbaforces out the door and then I'll tackle the two "supplemental" projects of the numpad and PVD upgrade back-plates. I'm currently experimenting with rose gold and other non-black PVD finishes, both for the Heavy-6 and Norbaforce backplates.

Great!.Looking forward to owning PVD back-plate. (If I understand correctly)
May I ask if you could add an option of having left Crtl to have a proper Square cutout(Picture 1) instead of a square with corner folded cutout(Picture 2)?
It would make fitting HiPro slider housing on left ctrl key much easier without the need of using power tools

Picture 1

Picture 2

PS: I hope I'm talking about the correct subject of backplates.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 07:59:38 by EugeneYap83 »

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.

Offline EugeneYap83

You don't need power tools to mod the plate. I modified the plate in about 15 minutes with this metal file set from Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJQ9XKG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FJQ9XKG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1713835751726239774&pf_rd_r=TCVM1BV9TSD8XFE8XN6H&pd_rd_wg=s9jTn&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=DSAwG&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=35fbb80c-89cd-11e8-a9f0-db3dc51fc8a8
You don't need power tools to mod the plate. I modified the plate in about 15 minutes with this metal file set from Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FJQ9XKG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_7?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07FJQ9XKG&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1713835751726239774&pf_rd_r=TCVM1BV9TSD8XFE8XN6H&pd_rd_wg=s9jTn&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=DSAwG&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=35fbb80c-89cd-11e8-a9f0-db3dc51fc8a8

Same deal here - a hand file was more than sufficient for the task.
Took less than 15 min to do the deed.

Thank for the tip. 
But since I'm planning to purchase the PVD plate anyway it would nice to have that option without needing to damage PVD plate in order to fit the Hipro housings.

Offline tron

Thank for the tip. 
But since I'm planning to purchase the PVD plate anyway it would nice to have that option without needing to damage PVD plate in order to fit the Hipro housings.
[/quote]

I'm 99% sure the backplate is for the Norbaforce case and not the switch plate (please correct me if I'm wrong). Perhapse a PVD switch plate will be an option on the Noxary XRF when it comes into fruition.

Offline norbauer

Thank for the tip. 

I'm 99% sure the backplate is for the Norbaforce case and not the switch plate (please correct me if I'm wrong). Perhapse a PVD switch plate will be an option on the Noxary XRF when it comes into fruition.
[/quote]

You are correct, tron. The premise of a PVD steel back plate on the housing is similar to that of brass weights: namely, for weight/aesthetics.

Offline Kerasan

Thank for the tip. 

I'm very interested in the bottom of the case and I'll definitely be in, but then a plate for the switches is not among your projects? (actually having already done xondat would be wasteful in terms of time and effort)

KMK Labs.
You are correct, tron. The premise of a PVD steel back plate on the housing is similar to that of brass weights: namely, for weight/aesthetics.
[/quote]

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Thank for the tip. 

If there is interest for a PVD finish then it's doable :)

Thoughtful analysis as always, Wetherbee.

The XRF is also going to be a major contender if it comes out as well as I think it will, so for those folks who are sad that they missed out on a Norbaforce, keep your eyes open and set the XRF thread to watch/notify.

Also, I think xondat is both personally very nice and does really cool work, so I don't want to compete/contend at at all. I think there's more than room for both designs. Maybe we can both collaborate on something at some point.

:-* :-*

I'm planning on making my stuff compatible with stock, so as long as neither of us change anything, then is that a collab? :))

Offline EugeneYap83

Thank for the tip. 

[/quote]

I didn't know until you mentioned about Noxary XRF. Thanks for bring that up.

Offline hayt

• * Maker
+1 for a Brass or PVD backplate

Offline tron

Thank for the tip. 

I didn't know until you mentioned about Noxary XRF. Thanks for bring that up.
[/quote]

NP. I hope the parts are interchangeable because I do prefer the industrial/retro futuristic Norbaforce design. The Noxary XRF looks a bit too much like a typical MX custom IMO, however, I will reserve final judgement until I see the actual prototype pictures. 

Offline letze

• Here I am~
I have a quick update btw. I've confirmed the cases are now in the Port of Oakland and loaded off the ship. Now comes the hardest part of the wait: the last little bit. If previous experience is any indication, this involves filling out and scanning lots forms, paying a million little (and some not-so-little) fees for services with nonsensical names, and the tedious wait for customs clearance before scheduling final delivery.  Shouldn't be too long now though.
That's good to hear
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
My white version rusted as well. After i gotten my 10th AE with the black coating, i lubed the entire plate with a thin layer of CorrosionX, it might trap dust and not look pretty but better than rusting.

Offline norbauer

My white version rusted as well. After i gotten my 10th AE with the black coating, i lubed the entire plate with a thin layer of CorrosionX, it might trap dust and not look pretty but better than rusting.

Wow. It's disappointing to hear that Topre parts are susceptible to corrosion like this, though happily I've never encountered it. At the same time, as a maker, I find it oddly slightly reassuring to know that every manufactured good, even on the very high end, has its imperfections and problems from time to time. :)

Regarding the Norbaforces, by the way, I'm still awaiting the release of the cargo from the Port, but the logistics company is keeping me in the loop daily, so I know they're working on it.