Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 252593 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Oh man, I'm going to have my work cut out for me when these things arrive.

Oh well. Good problem to have. :D

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ

Show Image

sweet jesus

i'm also surprised that someone in silicon valley actually has the space to store that  :))

Offline Kerasan

Show Image

:eek: :eek: :eek:

hype...

KMK Labs.

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t

Show Image

NOICE!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline EugeneYap83

Show Image

A good problem indeed.
The Anticipation is killing me!

Offline alisonica

Show Image

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

Show Image

by god
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
Hey all. Quick update: the first Norbaforce has actually shipped to a group buy participant!

Don't get too excited, however. That one person happened to live in Shenzhen, the same city in which the cases were machined, inspected, and packed, so I had his case sent to him directly rather than making the absurd trip across the Pacific to California and then directly back to Shenzhen. (Another participant in the same city will have to endure that absurdity, however, because he chose a powder coating finish, which is applied here in Silicon Valley.)

Anyway, the cases have all been inspected and are on their way to me as of tomorrow. The stated delivery time window given to me by the freight forwarder is ridiculously wide (26-43 calendar days), but even on the long end of that we're still looking at arrival to me in July.

In the meantime, I'm working on stuff like video assembly instructions and the printed package enclosure, a portion of the artwork for which was teased above by thelaughingman, and which I think you will all really enjoy. While the housings make their slow trip across the ocean, I'll also be working on the rather tedious task of putting together the hardware packets that go with each box and figuring out all the shipping supplies and such that I need to order. :)

Amazing news, I hope that someone is planning to post pics...

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Looking for a Aerospace Aluminum Winkeyless Blockered case. If anybody (including norbauer himself) have one to let go of, let me know.

Can't wait nonetheless for these cases to ship! :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 June 2018, 02:05:29 by LightningXI »

Offline tomu

• hi
Not sure if this is against the rules but I'm looking to sell my spot. Non-WKL Aerospace Alu

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Not sure if this is against the rules but I'm looking to sell my spot. Non-WKL Aerospace Alu

Non-WKL... Sooo... Does that mean it has the winkeys?  :confused: :))
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline tomu

• hi

Non-WKL... Sooo... Does that mean it has the winkeys?  :confused: :))
no blockers

G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline norbauer

Looking for a Aerospace Aluminum Winkeyless Blockered case. If anybody (including norbauer himself) have one to let go of, let me know.

Can't wait nonetheless for these cases to ship! :D

I'm sorry to say that I don't think I'll have any extras of WKL cases, so hopefully you'll be able to find someone in the community who wants to swap, or to sell you theirs one once the cases ship.

Offline richard912

When can we expect shipping to commence?

Offline tomu

• hi
Just sent an email

G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Luna

If anyone would like to sell his Norbaforce with Winkey (so no blockers) in either Retro Refrigerator or Galaxy Console feel free to send me a PM.

Offline norbauer

When can we expect shipping to commence?

This summer. Anodized finishes likely around or before the end of July, depending on how long these things take to make their way through customs. They are not due into the port until July 15.

Offline letze

• Here I am~
The guy in Shenzhen that own first case (not prototype).
Can we ask him to took picture of realforce assembled  ;D
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline norbauer

The guy in Shenzhen that own first case (not prototype).
Can we ask him to took picture of realforce assembled  ;D

There was actually a hiccup on that one. The company that did the assembly of the products into the boxes for me sent him the wrong SKU! Unfortunately, the other cases were already on their way when we discovered this, so we couldn't just turn around send him the right one. Works out because it turns out he actually wanted a powder coat finish anyway, so he's sending it to my factory in the same town as him, which is going to apply a white powder coat finish and send it back to him in a couple of days. (Don't ask why they couldn't powder-coat all the cases; it's a long story, which I've told elsewhere. ;) )

I guess this is really my fault for not stikcing with the normal process, absurdity of shipping it both ways notwithstanding. As I've learned with powder coat and many other things relating to manufacturing, introducing little exceptions and special cases always non-linearly increases the chance of errors and problems. One day I'll learn, maybe.

Offline tomu

• hi
Hey Norbauer, how do I go about transferring my spot? I have someone who's interested.

G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline YouGotRioted

Anyone going to put a metal realforce decal on? It'd be awesome to get some of those made.

Offline moitorpsychoo

hey I think I pm'd you couple days back....is it still available?

by the way if anyone wants to sell transfer their spot, let me know!!!

Offline tomu

• hi

Sorry for not responding, I already have a transfer lined up, just waiting on Norbauer.

G80-3700 | HHKB Pro 2

Offline moitorpsychoo

Sorry for not responding, I already have a transfer lined up, just waiting on Norbauer.

not a problem, congrats on the transfer!

Offline norbauer

I have lot of instruction cards to sign-and-number while the cases makes their way across the waves. :confused:

Offline Choobies

I have lot of instruction cards to sign-and-number while the cases makes their way across the waves. :confused:

I saw these in person at KeyCon and they are absolutely amazing!

Offline Dumblescore

Is there a video yet of you taking apart a Realforce and installing it into this case?

Offline norbauer

Is there a video yet of you taking apart a Realforce and installing it into this case?

Not yet, but I hope to make one before they arrive on people's doorsteps.

EDIT: Actually, Huey did one for TopClack, although that one was with a prototype, so there will be very slight differences with the production units.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 July 2018, 19:11:26 by norbauer »

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit

Show Image

Oh wow, this looks coooool  ;D

Offline Kerasan

Show Image

I dont know the theme, some info?

KMK Labs.

Offline norbauer

Show Image

KMK Labs.

It's a Japanese keyboard, so the artwork is all sort of vaguely Japanese-themed. There is a bit of a subtle easter egg in the cover art, which makes it all make more sense, but I'll leave that for someone else to discover. :)

Offline Kerasan

Show Image

KMK Labs.

It's a Japanese keyboard, so the artwork is all sort of vaguely Japanese-themed. There is a bit of a subtle easter egg in the cover art, which makes it all make more sense, but I'll leave that for someone else to discover. :)

oh thanks for the explanation, you're more advanced with the illustrations of your designer friend?

(I refer artworks to produce with the Japanese printer)

KMK Labs.

Offline ehmlis

Not to be that guy, but shouldn't the ハ on the sign be a バ?

Offline monkt

Not to be that guy, but shouldn't the ハ on the sign be a バ?

Technically, yes. But if you look at that photo a little more closely, you'll also notice a copy of Marcus Aurelius almost out of sight to the left. Contemplating this "coincidence" will clear up everything.

Offline sublyme

• sublyme_keys
These are beautiful. Wish I would have hopped on this

Offline Luna

These are beautiful. Wish I would have hopped on this

Ditto. I still hope for someone willing to sell his spot for a model with winkeys.

Offline HotRoderX

I was wondering if we will continue to see updates about this group buy in this thread? I have no desire to join a new website nor have to jump around looking for said information.

I wish those that wanted to leave the best of luck might they prosper with there future endeavors.

Offline regionfree

I'm guessing that he'll keep updating GH threads for ACTIVE group buys, those that have already started.

But for those that are yet to start (eg. Heavy6), we'll probably have to follow it on KT.

Offline Wetherbee

HotRoderX is working really hard to make sure you all know how he feels about Massdrop.

Offline HotRoderX

HotRoderX is working really hard to make sure you all know how he feels about Massdrop.

where did I say anything about massdrop? All I did was simply ask if this thread would continue to be updated. I like to know how the group buy is going. Should I expect updates in this thread are via email. Has nothing to do with massdrop. I am sure I am not the only person who would like to know in all honesty.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
Hasn’t there been consistent updates? Like, doesn’t he have the packaging and we are waiting for the boards to finish their trans-Pacific journey. At which time, anodized boards will be shipped while powder coated boards get dropped off.

I don’t think there much room to claim lack of updates.

Offline Rumblehotep

Hasn’t there been consistent updates? Like, doesn’t he have the packaging and we are waiting for the boards to finish their trans-Pacific journey. At which time, anodized boards will be shipped while powder coated boards get dropped off.

Yup yup he said the boards were en route across the ocean so anodizeds should get theirs soonerish and powder coats after they get sent to their finishing shops and uh ... powder coated. 
Pernicious Pony's norbaforce in the keycon photos looks pretty damn amazing (not to mention the grey heavy6 prototype, wow).

Offline HotRoderX

That was directed at me I didn't mean lack of updates. They have been a lot of really nice updates. I just was wondering if he continue to update this thread with new news. Things like him getting them. Packaging etc etc.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Didn't he leave gh?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
It seems like some aren't aware:

Norbauer is one of the 3 founding members of a new website, similar to GH. I'd say it's a valid thing to ask.

He's a good dude anyway, I'm sure he won't be jumping boat with unfinished buys.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
It seems like some aren't aware:

Norbauer is one of the 3 founding members of a new website, similar to GH. I'd say it's a valid thing to ask.

He's a good dude anyway, I'm sure he won't be jumping boat with unfinished buys.

Ah, hmmm. Read the email, missed the founding of a new site thing. Feel like reasonable expectations would be to update via the usual methods unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Not really worried about it.

Offline child

Which email? I didn't get any...

Offline letze

• Here I am~
Norbaforce spotted at KeyCon 2018  ;D
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
That's a beauty, I can't wait till I get mine.  :cool:
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Which email? I didn't get any...

Input Club newsletter was the only one I'm aware of.