Author Topic: [IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)  (Read 38962 times)

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
[IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)
« on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:13:15 »
Indefinitely on hold.

---

G M K  H E I S E I
平成

GMK Heisei is the ideal combination of Cherry's OG beige colorway and my personal love of Japan and it's culture.

---

In Japanese, Shibui refers to words which refer to a particular aesthetic of simple, subtle, and unobtrusive beauty[1]. In my keyboard journey nothing has caught my attention more than the original Cherry dye-subs and doubleshots. To me, these sets represent the essence of shibui, existing at the polar opposite side of the keyboard spectrum as sets like MiTo's Laser. I hope to grab your attention not with bright colors and novelties, but with the inherent beauty of simplicity.

---

T H E  S E T

Renders courtesy of janglad.

-

Renders courtesy of amnesia0287 and Quantrik.
Note: this set will make use of icon modifiers.

---

G M K  R E N D E R S

B A S E

S A K U R A

M O M I J I

---

P R I C E S
All prices are in USD.

BASE

$145 @ 150 MOQ
$135 @ 250 MOQ

MOMIJI

$31 @ 100 MOQ
$26 @ 150 MOQ

SAKURA

$26 @ 250 MOQ

---

V E N D O R S

North America
Switchmod.net

Asia/Australia
zFrontier

Europe
TBD

---

T I M E L I N E
(bold/pink means current)

March 3, 2018 - Heisei Update #1: Interest check open.
April 2018 - Heisei Update #2: Renders. Pricing. Interest check still open.
May 2018 - IC progress update/check-in.
June 1, 2018 - GROUP BUY OPEN
July 7, 2018 - GROUP BUY CLOSE

Production Estimate: 12 weeks from PO submission.

Delivery Estimate: TBD
---

C O N T A C T  M E

Geekhack: PM
Discord: zekkin#0001
Reddit: /u/hjunkin0

---

INTEREST CHECK FORM HERE

---

Past updates:

More
Hi everyone!

This set came around in a pretty not exciting way, but I'll share regardless; I wasn't a fan of GMK 9009 when I first saw it -- I couldn't understand why anyone would pay $x for keycaps. I've since realized the error of my ways, paid dumb aftermarket pricing for 9009, and have been happy since.

I have one other keyset and that's Originative's Modern Beige (w/ black English legends and black Japanese sublegends). It's a close second to 9009 for me. I thought to myself, why not combine the two? I swapped the alphas of Modern Beige with 9009 but couldn't get over using ABS and PBT at the same time, so I scrapped that idea. Now that Laser has happened anyone should be able to make use of the doubleshot hiragana molds. And that brings me now -- I've bounced this idea around the mechkeys Discord and have gotten relatively positive feedback so I figured why not see what the community has to say.

With that being said, I bring to you: GMK Heisei.

3/11/2018 Update:

Amnesia, kinda to my surprise, rendered up Heisei w/ Momiji accents on a concept board. I'm actually sort of blown away by the color synergy -- I wanted to offer something other than pink so I originally chose red because I thought it'd fit the theme. Red really gives the set a necessary pop, similar to what the 9009 accents did for what would have otherwise been a generic beige set.

Smol update: he did Sakura too!

Truth be told, I was leaning towards wanting Sakura for myself but the Momiji render has me rethinking that.

Stay tuned for more in the coming weeks, my friends!

INTEREST CHECK FORM HERE

---

Older Updates:

More
3/3/2018 Update

NEW NEW NEW HOTNESS ALERT!

My Photoshop mockup is complete! This represents the all-but-final base kit and not-final-at-all accent kit (there can only be one).

More
2/26/2018 Update

NEW NEW HOTNESS ALERT!

I'll be updating this picture throughout the coming days. Hold on to your butts.

More to come.

More
12/22/2017 Update

New GMK Mockup Hotness (thanks again to Kafka)

Note: The 9009 colors will not be included. This is just to give you an idea of what my goal is.

Old and Busted KLE Screenshot:

(I'll try to get a mockup from the new render website that everyone's using lately.) Just kidding apparently kbrenders was shut down. If anyone wants to donate a render that'd be saweet.

The pink keys below the main set will either be part of the main set or be part of a "Sakura Accent Kit" to keep with the Japanese theme. I toyed with the idea of having a matching "Matcha Accent Kit" but thought that would just make this set a Japanese 9009, which I'm not too into. That being said, the colors of this set are the exact same as 9009 (L9 alphas, U9 mods). Let's just say this set is 9009 inspired. As for icon/text mods, I'm thinking bottom row text modifiers, navigation cluster text modifiers, everything else icon modifiers.

Right now the pink accents are #CC8DA3 -- I tried playing with other GMK colors (MG1 was too dark) but I only have KLE at my disposal. If I'm not mistaken, custom colors drive up cost, so if possible I'd want to avoid that. Please give me correct info if I'm mistaken!!

More
Here's a photoshopped render from GMK to give people a better idea:

More

---

Other details:
  • Cost:  Given the exchange rate changes over the last few months, please prepare for a higher price than usual. I will not speculate and not give any numbers until GMK has given them to me.
  • Timeline: The original plan was (and still is) to run this in the second half of the year. More information on timeline in the next update; for now refer to the list below to see where we're at for this set.
  • Vendor: Krelbit of Switchmod.net originally offered to help me run this back when I first thought of this set and has said he will still do so.
  • Proxies: More info next update.
---

Timeline Breakdown (Updated 3/3/2018):
  • March 3, 2018 - Heisei Update #1: Interest check open.
  • April 2018 - Heisei Update #2: Renders. Pricing. Interest check still open.
  • May 2018 - TBD
---

How to reach me:
  • PM on Geekhack
  • PM on Reddit (/u/hjunkin0)
  • PM me on Discord (@zekkin#4763)
Feedback is always welcome. I'm really looking forward to making this set happen with you all.

---

Indefinitely on hold.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 12:51:08 by zekkin »

Offline cdn-mini

Re: [IC] GMK Weeb Retro
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:15:56 »
GEEZUS, another GMK set? why? why? please tell me why so much GMK love?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:16:57 »

GMK for life.

+1 to this set. Simple and appealing.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:20:24 »

Because everything else is trash.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:22:00 »

cherry profile is my life

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:25:04 »

Okay you are right, let's do this in SA, ETA end of 2022  :))

Offline Ponkan

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 11:33:09 »
I'm so down for this! Perfect for my pink board!

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:31:49 »

GMK is the most comfortable profile for a lot of people. The height and curvature are just perfect (compared to OEM which is trash, too tall and not enough of a scoop to the keytops)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline aznreaper

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 14:34:03 »
I'm in, would love myself some Weeb 9009

Offline Traveler

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 17:05:30 »
(I'll try to get a mockup from the new render website that everyone's using lately.)

I've got some sad news: that site shut down recently due to server costs. Sorry!

Good luck though. I'm personally not in the market for another keyset but it does look nice.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 17:09:10 »
(I'll try to get a mockup from the new render website that everyone's using lately.)

I've got some sad news: that site shut down recently due to server costs. Sorry!

Good luck though. I'm personally not in the market for another keyset but it does look nice.
Yeah...for now I'll just work with KLE and if the set starts picking up steam I'll reach out to some people.

Keep the feedback coming!

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 17:49:00 »
Definitely interested! I love the simple colors and the small size of the hiragana characters. It's like a perfect simple canvas which you can accent with your artisans.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:49:27 »
OK, so why this instead of Modern Beige or EnjoyPBT? Is it only for the smooth ABS surface while at the same time having to suffer the imminent ABS shining?

Genuine question. i totally get paying extra for colorful GMK sets like Laser (in fact, I did just that), but for beige? Why not dye-sub PBT?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:51:15 by nguyenhimself »

Offline ___q

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 20:59:05 »
yeah id buy this

I would prefer just an alphas kit since beige alphas work with so many preexisting sets, but a full set is fine too.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 01:28:07 »
If anyone is curious how GMK L9 alphas will look with weeb subs, here you go:

184396-0

Offline pradshaw89

• YohaRiko best ship
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 02:17:04 »
I'm up for any keyset with Japanese characters. :thumb:

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:41:53 »
I'm up for any keyset with Japanese characters. :thumb:

Well color me surprised.  :rolleyes:
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline pwade3

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:46:47 »
There's always http://kle-render.herokuapp.com/

It's not as good as kbrenders, but I used it to mock up a set I'm working on, and it does pretty well, you've just gotta make sure profiles and such are assigned in the KLE.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:49:33 »
If anyone is curious how GMK L9 alphas will look with weeb subs, here you go:

(Attachment Link)

Thanks for this.

Kafka also sent me a mock up using a GMK render he had previously gotten. I've added it to the original post.

There's always http://kle-render.herokuapp.com/

It's not as good as kbrenders, but I used it to mock up a set I'm working on, and it does pretty well, you've just gotta make sure profiles and such are assigned in the KLE.

KLE doesn't do too well with Japanese sublegends nor does it do too well with Cherry profile.

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:54:17 by zekkin »

Offline zekkin

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 05:56:00 »
Definitely interested! I love the simple colors and the small size of the hiragana characters. It's like a perfect simple canvas which you can accent with your artisans.

Size of the sublegends will match up with Laser.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 12:13:55 »
OK, so why this instead of Modern Beige or EnjoyPBT? Is it only for the smooth ABS surface while at the same time having to suffer the imminent ABS shining?

Genuine question. i totally get paying extra for colorful GMK sets like Laser (in fact, I did just that), but for beige? Why not dye-sub PBT?

My thought is probably that both Enjoy PBT and Modern Beige had similar sets already run. One of my favorite things about 9009 that those PBT sets didn't have though, was the icon only mods. I could be interested in a PBT set with that implemented.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 14:12:29 »

My thought is probably that both Enjoy PBT and Modern Beige had similar sets already run. One of my favorite things about 9009 that those PBT sets didn't have though, was the icon only mods. I could be interested in a PBT set with that implemented.

This to some extent. Modern Beige ran again (and will probably be stocked within the next few weeks) through Originative, so if you'd like PBT then that's the way to go. Sony (Discord admin) made an IC recently for a EnjoyPBT monolegend set (just hiragana) with icon mods, so check that out as well.

While icon mods are also a part of it, another is that I'm a big fan of doubleshot ABS. It feels good (she thicc), the colors possible are much better than w/ PBT (see jchan's PBT9009 for this), and I (and many others) really don't mind some shine.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 December 2017, 14:14:59 by zekkin »

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 15:02:41 »

This to some extent. Modern Beige ran again (and will probably be stocked within the next few weeks) through Originative, so if you'd like PBT then that's the way to go. Sony (Discord admin) made an IC recently for a EnjoyPBT monolegend set (just hiragana) with icon mods, so check that out as well.

While icon mods are also a part of it, another is that I'm a big fan of doubleshot ABS. It feels good (she thicc), the colors possible are much better than w/ PBT (see jchan's PBT9009 for this), and I (and many others) really don't mind some shine.

Thank you for the reference zekkin!

I missed this in the OP,

"As for icon/text mods, I'm thinking bottom row text modifiers, navigation cluster text modifiers, everything else icon modifiers"

I think that will look best!  :thumb: 

Offline OmegaSupreme

• For Cybertron!!!
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 December 2017, 17:20:18 »
I’m definitely in for the base set. But I’m not too fond of the accent set.
| TX-CP | Dolphin V3x 2 | Dolphin Padx 2 | Unicorn X Legend | Jane V2 | Jane V2 CE |

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 10:30:15 »
Count me in bb.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 12:20:20 »
Count me in bb.

Thanks friend! I'm hoping to make this set a reality.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 December 2017, 13:09:20 »
I am all for a nice Hiragana set, but to have a Sakura accent kit without flowery novelties, that's a crime against humanity. Would be a lot more interested with some of those.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:25:10 »
Love it. I'm down.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:29:57 »
Like the design, really not into the name though...

Offline zekkin

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 December 2017, 20:33:19 »
Feel free to suggest different names :)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 06:40:53 »
Update in the main post! New render! Give me feedback!

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 08:31:03 »
Just tell me what to throw my money at (and when because I'm poorboye and have to save up lol).

Offline megaforce

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 09:08:53 »
yes pls
More
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline nickysan92

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:01:42 »
Pls gib.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 11:47:16 »
I feel like with 9009 R2 having just been ran this may be a double edged sword but I do like it - if I didn't know any better I'd ask you to offer the alphas in a separate kit so that people with classic beige, retro and 9009 could just buy those but I do know better, so I will not.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 15:37:13 »

I feel like with 9009 R2 having just been ran this may be a double edged sword but I do like it - if I didn't know any better I'd ask you to offer the alphas in a separate kit so that people with classic beige, retro and 9009 could just buy those but I do know better, so I will not.

Given these two responses I thought it was about time to make a google form so I can assess the real interest.

Interest Check Form Here

Offline Tree_

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 17:22:23 »
This is some real hot trash - I'd keep the name and run the set in full as someone who doesn't have any of the sets an alpha kit would fit with.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 20:40:40 »

Given these two responses I thought it was about time to make a google form so I can assess the real interest.

Interest Check Form Here

Filled out the form, hope this set comes to life as well!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 23:21:56 »
that's rather a thick render...
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 09:30:36 »

Its just 9009 with replaced alphas, I doubt he will include all those keys in the final kit.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 09:40:23 »

Its just 9009 with replaced alphas, I doubt he will include all those keys in the final kit.
Yeah, mostly just to give an idea of what things will look like.

Offline Dead Encryption

• Dead...
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 10:31:35 »
I do like the green modifiers though. Pink just isn't my style, I didn't think about it, but was hoping we would get pink and another color as well.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:19:02 »
I've been thinking about titles and I'm thinking about and seriously considering GMK Heisei.

Heisei refers to the current era of the Japanese calendar, which in turn refers to the current emperor of the country. We will enter into a new era once Akihito (said current emperor) abdicates and his son, Naruhito, takes the throne.

What do you guys think?

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:24:05 »
I've been thinking about titles and I'm thinking about and seriously considering GMK Heisei.

Heisei refers to the current era of the Japanese calendar, which in turn refers to the current emperor of the country. We will enter into a new era once Akihito (said current emperor) abdicates and his son, Naruhito, takes the throne.

What do you guys think?

I love that idea. Would Shōwa be more fitting, considering we're calling this weeb 'retro'? That being said, Heisei started in '89. Either way, the new title is great!
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (formerly Weeb Retro)
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 11:34:44 »
It's official! This set is now GMK Heisei.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 11:38:31 »
I suggest you to add a row three back slash and pipe. It looks very nice and it is a novel and unique approach on a beloved color way. It should get a lot of attention. Have you considered Yuri's icons?

Offline zekkin

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:02:11 »
I suggest you to add a row three back slash and pipe. It looks very nice and it is a novel and unique approach on a beloved color way. It should get a lot of attention. Have you considered Yuri's icons?
I'll look into the R3 backslash and pipe.

The only icon mods that'll be in this set will be what is offered with 9009 (i.e. shift, enter, tab, backspace, caps lock). All bottom row and navigation cluster mods will be text only.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:18:54 »

Always GMK Weeb in my heart, also yuri icons are super unpleasant imo

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:39:34 »
I'd tap that! literally.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 25 December 2017, 12:41:59 »
I'll look into the R3 backslash and pipe.

The only icon mods that'll be in this set will be what is offered with 9009 (i.e. shift, enter, tab, backspace, caps lock). All bottom row and navigation cluster mods will be text only.

It makes total sense to keep the classic feeling.  :thumb:

Offline neralo

« Reply #50 on: Thu, 28 December 2017, 09:27:29 »

Seconded in the icons.

Also GMK Weeb will never die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline zekkin

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 14:48:14 »
MU HOO HOO
Nani the **** are you saying

Offline itsundone

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:35:21 »
made an account just to post this....

please make it happen or else we riot

Offline zekkin

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 06:26:17 »
I suppose I should take some time to talk about this set and what my tentative plans for it are.

I'm sure everyone has noticed, but basically everyone and their mother has designed a GMK keyset in the last couple months. There are a lot of big names with some really anticipated sets (Oblotzky's Space Cadet adaptation, for example) and I'm just not confident in Heisei's ability to hit MOQ if it were to run (against Forge, Necro, Hyperfuse Origins, Taro) at this time.

Now, this shouldn't change much because I always intended on getting this on track in the later half of 2018 -- however I think what I'll do pretty soon here is put out a new interest check form with a bit more solid information as well as including the proper title. Looking at my 9009 R2 base set, I'm pretty pleased with the kit so I think I'll work to get the Heisei base to somewhat match and then start communication with GMK to get realistic numbers on price.

Here's where this might get a bit controversial so I'll try to make this as clear as possible right off the bat; I will not be creating any specialty kits. That's right: no novelties, no hiragana only, no ortho/40%/DC. I'm determined to have this set run and in basically every group buy I've witnessed (outside of MD, and let's be honest, specialty kits struggle there too) the specialty kits almost never hit MOQ. Compound all that with GMK prices increasing to reflect the changing USD/EUR exchange rate, it makes justifying this set even more difficult.

I'm confident this set can and will happen, but I want to make sure it's run with the best timing possible, the best pricing possible, and with my full attention.

That's all I got for now. Feel free to ask questions/voice concerns and I'll answer/respond as best as I can.

P.S. I'm working on a nicer representation of the kit with Photoshop. Soon (TM). ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 09:00:12 »
I like the set and being this classic color it may get some attention, even under the fierce offering of GMK sets that is happening lately. However, a good planning and promotion campaign is mandatory to allow the set get the proper demand if you want to reach MoQ, out of MD.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 09:14:42 »
Very interested in the alphas only. Price should be about 50 EUR.

Too bad that this set wasn't suggested by ideus. We could have called it  gmk ideusgram
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 February 2018, 09:21:04 by Giorgio »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 11:35:57 »

Too bad that this set wasn't suggested by ideus. We could have called it  gmk ideusgram

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline megaforce

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:08:52 »
Ortho and 40% are garbage anyways, don't need to include them

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

More

Offline itsundone

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:00:34 »
I like the idea to keep it simple with base only kit... (spacebar kit is ok tho)

and Q3/4 2018 seems to be the ideal time to run this GB imho (but its up to you), since to market is too crowded now with GMK set...

anyway cant wait till this GB run, and keep the hype on fire......

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 04:55:16 »

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you

The hiragana set is sold for 56 eur on massdrop; the red is a custom color, so the beige could probably cost a little bit less.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:19:51 »

:o

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:33:00 »

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you

The hiragana set is sold for 56 eur on massdrop; the red is a custom color, so the beige could probably cost a little bit less.

I don’t really need more alphas with no mods to use em with. I’d rather have different mods of some sort, but no mods is just throwing money away since it means I have 1 set of unused alphas regardless.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:45:49 »

$10 GMK split kit tax

no thank you

I don’t really need more alphas with no mods to use em with. I’d rather have different mods of some sort, but no mods is just throwing money away since it means I have 1 set of unused alphas regardless.

That's why the Alphas should be beige.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 20:38:33 »
+1 Keep it simple, don‘t split sets.

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 23:57:28 »
Love the classic color sir :thumb:

Offline zekkin

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 13:05:56 »
Anyway, to those that are looking for more of a solid update, I'm working on a much nicer looking representation of the set and should be posting it tonight.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 15:47:55 »
Anyway, to those that are looking for more of a solid update, I'm working on a much nicer looking representation of the set and should be posting it tonight.

Good to hear, can't wait to see it :)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 18:58:35 »
Alright, here we go.

Here's a 104 key/fullsize preview of GMK Heisei. I'm already working on updates to this and this thread will be the first place I post updates. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 February 2018, 19:11:31 by zekkin »

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 19:53:00 »
I know you said you wouldn't run other kits, but what do you think of the possibility of an accent kit? That seems pretty likely to hit MOQ.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:38:01 »
Today's update:

I'm not a Photoshop prodigy or anything so I'm placing and sizing mostly everything manually. I'm gonna push over the next few days to get it complete by the end of the weekend. After that adding/removing keys will be very easy.

I know you said you wouldn't run other kits, but what do you think of the possibility of an accent kit? That seems pretty likely to hit MOQ.

I'll be putting up a new IC form with the completed mock-up hopefully by the end of this weekend and I'll be sure to include it.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 05:15:23 »
Today's update:

Show Image

I'm not a Photoshop prodigy or anything so I'm placing and sizing mostly everything manually. I'm gonna push over the next few days to get it complete by the end of the weekend. After that adding/removing keys will be very easy.

I'll be putting up a new IC form with the completed mock-up hopefully by the end of this weekend and I'll be sure to include it.

Huh, maybe I'm just too used to my EnjoyPBT set, but do those legends look a tad too small to anyone else? You guys prefer them like that?

Offline zekkin

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 05:51:38 »
Today's update:

Show Image

Huh, maybe I'm just too used to my EnjoyPBT set, but do those legends look a tad too small to anyone else? You guys prefer them like that?

Show Image

It's a mockup...at this point everyone knows what GMK legends look like, I'm just making this so everyone has something to look at instead of a crap picture from KLE.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 06:39:54 by zekkin »

Offline zekkin

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:10:14 »
Today's update:

It's mostly done, I'd say about 90-95% complete. I'm going to make mock-up of the Sakura kit either tomorrow or Saturday. I've been thinking about the packaging as well.

If you're interested in getting more "realtime" updates I'm always in the mechkeys discord server asking for feedback and I'd love to hear yours.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 19:28:20 »
Today's update:

Show Image

It's mostly done, I'd say about 90-95% complete. I'm going to make mock-up of the Sakura kit either tomorrow or Saturday. I've been thinking about the packaging as well.

If you're interested in getting more "realtime" updates I'm always in the mechkeys discord server asking for feedback and I'd love to hear yours.

icon mod bottom row pls

yuri icons are tops

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (Update 3/3/2018: NEW IC FORM)
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 18:15:52 »
Main post updated! New interest check form! Give me your feedback!

Offline megaforce

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 21:03:32 »
mina daisuki arigato vive la zekkin
More

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 06:44:22 »
I didn't think I would have an existential crisis over an accent kit but here I am. On one hand Sakura is all nice and effeminate as well as pretty unique, on the other hand I like classic red accents a lot as well and I'm a massive Touhou nerd so the Momiji theming is brilliant as well. In the end I wound up voting for Momiji because I think the pink is likely to turn out too dull IRL and make the set look weak combined with the grey, as well as less likely to hit MOQ, whereas Momiji is a proven classy colourway in a very nice shade that is also much more likely to hit MoQ due to being a stock colour. The mockup colour really doesn't do the P3 shade justice.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 07:55:54 »
I didn't think I would have an existential crisis over an accent kit but here I am. On one hand Sakura is all nice and effeminate as well as pretty unique, on the other hand I like classic red accents a lot as well and I'm a massive Touhou nerd so the Momiji theming is brilliant as well. In the end I wound up voting for Momiji because I think the pink is likely to turn out too dull IRL and make the set look weak combined with the grey, as well as less likely to hit MOQ, whereas Momiji is a proven classy colourway in a very nice shade that is also much more likely to hit MoQ due to being a stock colour. The mockup colour really doesn't do the P3 shade justice.

I'm glad you like the red accents! Autumn is my favorite season and the Japanese maple in particular becomes breathtakingly vibrant (hence momiji). The Touhou connection is completely coincidental, however given the love of the season and imagery associated with it, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more coincidences like this :cool:.

---

Some updates:

• Added labels to some keys
  • Added missing to |\ keys
--

I'm really liking the feedback so far. Please keep it coming!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 13:59:28 »
If this comes after NGE, hopefully you can also use the iso keys with the symbols.

Offline idlemao

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 17:52:35 »
This. I can't put it in better words than this. The stronger contrast of the bold red against the gray gives it the slight edge for me, though if I could have both the Sakura and Red I would. Also Momiji!   ^-^

Offline zekkin

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 14:00:47 »
Hey I'd like to thank everyone that has filled out the interest check form so far! I think the turnout was pretty good with 62 responses as of this post. Here's some stats if numbers are your thing:

---

Does a set like this interest you?
YES - 88.7% (55/62)
NO - 11.3% (7/62)

Full set or alphas only?
FULL SET - 79% (49/62)
ALPHAS ONLY - 21% (13/62)

Accents in the base kit?
SAKURA - 38.7% (24/62)
MOMIJI - 32.2% (20/62)
NONE - 24.2% (15/62)
OTHER - 4.8% (3/62)

Notable suggestions:
  • Proxies (EU/Asia) - Will be addressed in the next update.
  • Separate accent kit - Honestly not sure about this. I'll think about it.
---

So, if the set were to run based off of these numbers, we'd be doing the full set with Sakura accents in the base kit. However, these numbers are not final, so please do not worry about anything. I'm going to be peddling this IC quite a bit in the coming weeks so please feel free to modify your responses to reflect any new suggestions/criticisms you've come up with.

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I'll respond to/address them as best I can.

Offline idlemao

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:25:51 »
Sakura and Momiji are really close, but there's also a sizable amount who want none and other. I like the red because its such a classical color to associate with Japan and the Japanese text. That and it stands out much more contrast-wise with the gray than the sakura. But I guess without renders or samples its hard to say. I'm sticking with Momiji for now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:40:30 »
Keep it simple, elegant and low cost and the orders will overwelm you.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 20:36:36 »
I vote for none of the accent. I don't want to "overdo" such simple set.

The only suggestion that crossed my mind is adding an icon R3 (HHKB) Control key. GMK don't have the mould for now but I believe they can provide it for free (just increasing the quote for 1 more key, not 1 more new mould).

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:02:31 »
If you do accents. Don’t put them in base. Adding a color upcharges the entire set. Is cheaper to keep em seperate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 06:58:17 »
whats dis

(yes I know the legends aren't perfect and this set doesn't have the 1.5 fn or the word shift, but i don't feel like rendering more keps right now, changing colors is easy, still working on it tho :P, I just was happy to finally have a full board worth of keps.)

Offline zekkin

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 07:16:48 »
whats dis

Show Image

(yes I know the legends aren't perfect and this set doesn't have the 1.5 fn or the word shift, but i don't feel like rendering more keps right now, changing colors is easy, still working on it tho :P, I just was happy to finally have a full board worth of keps.)

Dude...

Can I put this in the OP?

---

EDIT:

Amnesia approved, OP updated. We're getting closer, people...
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 March 2018, 07:32:28 by zekkin »

Offline RSC

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (Update 3/11/2018: RENDER TEASER)
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 09:42:53 »
Would probably be in with the momiji mods if you offer an EU proxy.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 09:52:46 »
Same :)

Offline RSC

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 10:30:44 »
@Zekkin, BTW have you considered having the red accent mods with legends the same grey/beige colour of the standard mods? Is it possible? I think if it is, it would look even nicer.

Offline Chromatrope

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 11:12:58 »
I think I would prefer black legends on them, having all the lettering the same colour looks cleaner.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 07:44:10 »
Sakura all the wae!

Much prefer the Sakura accents over the dark red accents personally. Looks a lot cleaner and softer compared to the very harsh red

Offline Geek Maker

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 02:25:09 »

here ,the same with you.
Life-love for GMK,but not lamination as sub-legend ,that feels rather weird.
Anyway, the design is pretty well.

Offline speedyzy

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 15:29:22 »
any updates?

Offline zekkin

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 19:26:58 »
Sure, since it's exactly one month since the IC opened, it's update time:

Hopefully everyone's been fairing well with all the group buys running lately. I won't lie and say the not-so-sudden influx of GMK interest checks and group buys kinda scares me, but I'm confident in the low MOQ of standard colors. Now, some information to hold you over for a little while...

---

Where we are:

As of April 3, 2018, the interest check has 121 responses (THANK YOU ALL!). I will make final set decisions (i.e. what accent kit will run, etc) in accordance with the IC results soon.

What's next?:

I'll be reaching out to GMK in the coming days to get price quotes. Proxies will be figured out.

When will the group buy start?

This is a hard question to answer. Nowadays it doesn't seem like there's a particularly good time to run a set, you kind of just have to hope for the best. There are a few things ahead of me with Switchmod, so Heisei will remain in IC mode until after Red Riot and Yolch. If I could pick an ideal day to start the GB, I think it'd be June 1st (my birthday :D). That being said, please don't hold me to any hard dates. I want to make sure this is done right.

---

IC Results as of April 3, 2018

Total Submissions: 121

YES - 89.3% (108/121)
MAYBE - 10.7% (13/121)

Full set or alphas only?
FULL SET - 72.7% (88/121)
ALPHAS ONLY - 27.3% (33/121)

Accents in the base kit?
SAKURA - 40.5% (49/121)
MOMIJI - 29.8% (36/121)
NONE - 24% (29/121)
OTHER - 5.7% (7/121)

---

I won't be closing the IC now but I think it's safe to assume that the results will not change much more. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Anyway, look out for more information in the coming days. In the meantime you can find and bug me on the mechkeys discord.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 12:58:19 »
Great news!
Definitely in for a few of these anytime.

Also Sakura <3<3

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (Smol Update 4/3/2018)
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 13:14:28 »
I have reached out to GMK for quotes and a render. I'll update when I hear back.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 13:53:13 »
Better get an alpha kit quote boi

Offline zekkin

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 13:58:02 »
Better get an alpha kit quote boi

There will be no alpha only kit.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 10 April 2018, 14:03:33 »
CLICK CLACK POW
More

Offline zekkin

« Reply #100 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 14:37:58 »
Got the GMK renders for Heisei -- there's one change I've already requested be made so I'll have those fairly soon as well as pricing.

Talks with proxies will begin once we have pricing. Stay tuned everyone...

Offline megaforce

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (GMK RENDERS AND QUOTE SOON!)
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 19:31:07 »
i love gmk heisei
More

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 20:49:21 »
IC Results as of April 3, 2018

Total Submissions: 121

YES - 89.3% (108/121)
MAYBE - 10.7% (13/121)

Full set or alphas only?
FULL SET - 72.7% (88/121)
ALPHAS ONLY - 27.3% (33/121)

Accents in the base kit?
SAKURA - 40.5% (49/121)
MOMIJI - 29.8% (36/121)
NONE - 24% (29/121)
OTHER - 5.7% (7/121)

A bit surprised by how far ahead the Sakura accent won. I'd have thought you guys here would prefer the red much more than the feminine pink 😆

This should be a fun set.

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (GMK RENDERS AND QUOTE SOON!)
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 09:06:29 »
Prices are still in the works, but here are some renders from GMK:

B A S E

S A K U R A

M O M I J I

More to come...

Offline sleepy

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (GMK Renders! Pricing soon!)
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 16 April 2018, 15:41:27 »
I absolutely love this set - one of my favorites I've seen! Will definitely be trying to get my hands on one  :-*

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (Pricing is here!)
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 10:51:52 »
Hi guys, pricing is here!

BASE

$145 @ 150 MOQ
$135 @ 250 MOQ

MOMIJI

$31 @ 100 MOQ
$26 @ 150 MOQ

SAKURA

$26 @ 250 MOQ

Let me know if you have any questions! Proxy talks will begin shortly.

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 10:56:51 »
Do you remember

The 21st night of September

As we danced in the night

Remember

How

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 12:08:11 »

BASE

$145 @ 150 MOQ
$135 @ 250 MOQ

MOMIJI

$31 @ 100 MOQ
$26 @ 150 MOQ

SAKURA

$26 @ 250 MOQ

Great prices.

Are those accent colors the same as 9009? Look a bit saturated in the renders.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline zekkin

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 12:11:34 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 April 2018, 12:36:58 by zekkin »

Offline zekkin

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 12:37:21 »

BASE

$145 @ 150 MOQ
$135 @ 250 MOQ

MOMIJI

$31 @ 100 MOQ
$26 @ 150 MOQ

SAKURA

$26 @ 250 MOQ

Great prices.

Are those accent colors the same as 9009? Look a bit saturated in the renders.

Pink is custom (color code is in the render) and red is stock (P3).

Offline Velvet_Crowe

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 13:34:19 »
250 MOQ for Sakura :(
Current daily: OTD 356mini v1 (Red) | OTD 356CL (Gunmetal) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Black) | zekk.works Ogre (Dark Grey) | Noxary Vulcan Pro (Silver/Red) | 488 Pista Spider (Red)

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 14:08:54 »
Great price on the base.
keyboards.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 14:16:57 »
waga na wa heisei
More

Offline speedyzy

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 14:30:33 »
Why is sakura  moq so high :c

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 14:37:49 »

Custom color, most likely.

Sakura love hopefully will be a lot bigger then moq tho <3

Offline zekkin

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 14:56:02 »

It has been said from the start that the Sakura color is custom and will require a 250 MOQ.

Offline bball2

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 21:31:27 »
Likely in for both colorways hoping they can make MOQ. This set would be great to mix and match with 9009.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 22:26:57 »
Damn.. I usually do not like beige sets but I am really digging this.

Offline JustMeHunter

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 08:47:32 »
I'm a big fan of the sinple design. I love the sakura kit color splash.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 09:19:26 »
Definitely in for a Sakura addon.  Maybe base set too, but at least Sakura.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline zekkin

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 09:29:16 »
Likely in for both colorways hoping they can make MOQ. This set would be great to mix and match with 9009.

Damn.. I usually do not like beige sets but I am really digging this.

I'm a big fan of the sinple design. I love the sakura kit color splash.

Definitely in for a Sakura addon.  Maybe base set too, but at least Sakura.

Thank you all for the support! I hope to have some news on proxies and dates coming up soon.

Offline zekkin

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (GB OPEN 6/1/2018)
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 19 April 2018, 09:43:29 »
Oh yeah, we're gonna open this group buy on June 1st.

Offline Velvet_Crowe

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 02:33:08 »
Hypeee, gonna get both the sakura and momiji sets along with the base!
Current daily: OTD 356mini v1 (Red) | OTD 356CL (Gunmetal) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Black) | zekk.works Ogre (Dark Grey) | Noxary Vulcan Pro (Silver/Red) | 488 Pista Spider (Red)

Offline superhot

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 03:03:22 »

u better b srs

Offline M

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 03:42:01 »

Wow, surprising how soon it's releasing considering how many GMK interest checks are out right now. Although to be fair, this one started in December...

Offline zekkin

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 06:37:48 »
u better b srs

v v srs

Wow, surprising how soon it's releasing considering how many GMK interest checks are out right now. Although to be fair, this one started in December...

Yeah, I won't lie and say I'm not nervous about it...but it really doesn't seem like there's a definitive good time to run a GMK set right now. Opening the group buy in June seems like the best option given the current group buy landscape; I can only hope those who said they would buy the set actually will!  :p

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 08:27:50 »
That's a good date to start the GB. :thumb:

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 08:48:56 »
u better b srs

v v srs

Yeah, I won't lie and say I'm not nervous about it...but it really doesn't seem like there's a definitive good time to run a GMK set right now. Opening the group buy in June seems like the best option given the current group buy landscape; I can only hope those who said they would buy the set actually will!  :p

Fortunately or unfortunately, I think the number of group buys is only going to go up, based on the trends I've seen since I started visiting this site.  There's already a huge difference in how many simultaneous group buys and preorders are happening compared to only a few years ago (for keycaps and keyboard kits).  Looking for a downtime in group buys might be a fruitless endeavor at this point. 

Offline zekkin

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 10:10:47 »
Fortunately or unfortunately, I think the number of group buys is only going to go up, based on the trends I've seen since I started visiting this site.  There's already a huge difference in how many simultaneous group buys and preorders are happening compared to only a few years ago (for keycaps and keyboard kits).  Looking for a downtime in group buys might be a fruitless endeavor at this point.

It honestly feels like GMK is at the same level of saturation that SP had with SA last year. I'm confident given the lower MOQ for the base and momiji/red kit...but I'm definitely nervous about sakura/pink. I have some renders coming from janglad soon so I'll be using those to get Heisei the exposure it'll need over on Reddit.

In the meantime, I've started talks with zFrontier to be our Asia proxy.

More info to come...

Offline dantambok

« Reply #129 on: Fri, 20 April 2018, 23:17:42 »
100%  in for a set!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline superhot

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 06:07:26 »
Meh no alphas.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 09:57:25 »

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 10:52:34 »
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline zekkin

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 13:08:48 »
Got some new renders (I've also updated the OP with these)!

Hope everyone is as excited for this as I am!

Offline andreya

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 13:31:27 »
can we have completed hiragana sublegends like serika?

or this ?
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 April 2018, 13:33:13 by andreya »

Offline zekkin

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 14:08:19 »
can we have completed hiragana sublegends like serika?

or this ?
Show Image

Heisei will be made with the molds as they exist right now (or post-Laser) -- what you see is what you get. That means no small characters on the num-row.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 12:58:50 »
Got some new renders (I've also updated the OP with these)!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hope everyone is as excited for this as I am!

hnnng.. Now I'll have to get another board to show these suckers off.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 12:51:38 »
F

Offline zekkin

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 12:52:25 »
All,

It is with sadness that I put this on indefinite hold. Between the start of this interest check and now there have been a large number of GMK sets that have been teased and run. Most, if not all, of them barely met their MoQs and I'm not comfortable with running the group buy given the current market saturation. My apologies to everyone who got their hopes up.

Feel free to continue discussing the set because I would still very much like to run it. Soon^tm.

Offline Remsky

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 12:53:28 »
All,

It is with sadness that I put this on indefinite hold. Between the start of this interest check and now there have been a large number of GMK sets that have been teased and run. Most, if not all, of them barely met their MoQs and I'm not comfortable with running the group buy given the current market saturation. My apologies to everyone who got their hopes up.

Feel free to continue discussing the set because I would still very much like to run it. Soon^tm.
F
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline idlemao

Re: [IC] GMK Heisei (ON HOLD)
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 12:54:06 »
F

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 12:54:20 »
F

Offline megaforce

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 12:56:56 »
F
More

Offline kdm1020

« Reply #146 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 13:24:14 »
F

Offline kristmascane

• emilia is trash
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 13:32:47 »
F

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 19:34:52 »
All,

F

Honestly though, this is a good idea. There's too much "competition" right now and it seems that many sets will either fail or just barely make it with the help of vendors. 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 19:51:17 »
All,

I don't blame you, there are a bunch of sets in progress or planned with Hiragana sublegends now, and a lot of sets in general.  However I'm not sure it will get any better with the number of concurrent group buys for various GMK (and other keycap makers') sets--the number of GBs just keeps going up, as there are more and more people interested in getting custom keycaps for their keyboards.  I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits. 

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #150 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 20:20:26 »
All,

I don't blame you, there are a bunch of sets in progress or planned with Hiragana sublegends now, and a lot of sets in general.  However I'm not sure it will get any better with the number of concurrent group buys for various GMK (and other keycap makers') sets--the number of GBs just keeps going up, as there are more and more people interested in getting custom keycaps for their keyboards.  I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.

Ahem...
Alphas only ;D
Yeah jk. F

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 01:52:38 »
All,

> I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.
Makes sense.  More focused approach.  Sidestep competition and complement many L9/U9 sets out there.

Offline superhot

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 04:20:21 »
F'd

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 04:35:27 »
I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.

Yes... and no

It would make it a lot more affordable for established members of the community to get stuff they want, but it would also mean that people who don't own the compatible base set (new people, people who didn't like the set back then, etc.) would have to pay aftermarket prices (which only the minority would be willing to do) or mix it with a different set they own (which might not colormatch as well, also turns two things into one) or just skip it in which case they don't contribute to MOQ. Remember, the people that have thousands of dollars in GMK caps at home are a really small minority.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense either way, for example: I do own a set of 9009 which would be color compatible with this if it was an alphas-only run, but that would leave me with an additional set of alphas that's basically useless. If I'd "just buy a modset" for those alphas I'd still end up with a lot of missing keys while probably spending more money in total than on a full keyset.

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 06:44:35 »
well, guess I'm getting that massdrop set now  :'(

Offline Remsky

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 09:38:12 »
well, guess I'm getting that massdrop set now  :'(

Sure you will.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 10:53:47 »
I wonder if at some point it begins to make sense to just run buys for addon, complimentary/complementary sets that are not full kits.

Yes... and no

It would make it a lot more affordable for established members of the community to get stuff they want, but it would also mean that people who don't own the compatible base set (new people, people who didn't like the set back then, etc.) would have to pay aftermarket prices (which only the minority would be willing to do) or mix it with a different set they own (which might not colormatch as well, also turns two things into one) or just skip it in which case they don't contribute to MOQ. Remember, the people that have thousands of dollars in GMK caps at home are a really small minority.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense either way, for example: I do own a set of 9009 which would be color compatible with this if it was an alphas-only run, but that would leave me with an additional set of alphas that's basically useless. If I'd "just buy a modset" for those alphas I'd still end up with a lot of missing keys while probably spending more money in total than on a full keyset.

That's not entirely true though: you can buy used (shiny) classic beige or black, or "Dolch" doubleshots with old boards on eBay (or some other less common colorways like Desko or WEY caps), often for much less than a brand new GMK set of the same colors. Or there is Originative which has been selling classic beige (and other colorways as well as accent kits) for many years.  If you're talking about some uncommon custom colors, then yes, buying full sets is preferable.  Secondary legends are still a new thing for GMK, so those are still a novelty to warrant a full set, or in this case it could just be an alpha kit for existing Classic Beige owners + color packs.

Edited to add: that was just thoughts on the high amount of sets available and becoming available and how it might end up being in the [near] future.  I still think this particular set in the IC has place as a full kit.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 23:33:03 by Photoelectric »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 22:31:34 »
F.

I'm now     o n e    s a d    b o y e

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 23:28:31 »
Bummer...

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 01:03:56 »
That's not entirely true though: you can buy used (shiny) classic beige or black, or "Dolch" doubleshots with old boards on eBay (or some other less common colorways like Desko or WEY caps), often for much less than a brand new GMK set of the same colors.

Kinda viable, if you are only going for WKL 60%/TKL/Fullsize. **** hits the fan really quick if you want to try getting a 1.25u/6.25u bottom row (which is rare af) or split right shift (having to get an additional 1800) or split backspace (sol) that way. Also only viable for people in the US (because the addon kits would be developed around ANSI), though I wonder how many old Cherry boards are on US eBay considering the recent limited supply of them on german eBay.

Or there is Originative which has been selling classic beige (and other colorways as well as accent kits) for many years.

Completely unviable for anyone outside the US, even inside the US I'd wager that only very few people want to pay $180 + shipping and get a $40-60 + shipping addon kit on top.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 01:53:12 »
Fair points!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 17:44:46 »
Maybe I’ll just run it for Zekkin :P

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 01:55:20 »
Why don't you simply sell the alphas instead of a full set? Price is about 50 eur.

Offline zekkin

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 05:13:42 »
Why don't you simply sell the alphas instead of a full set? Price is about 50 eur.
I've already decided this is never happening. Stop asking. If it's something you want so badly, run it yourself.

Offline farfar

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 07:24:34 »
I've already decided this is never happening. Stop asking. If it's something you want so badly, run it yourself.

So you are completely fine with someone taking this and making it reality? I was really interested in it, but I don't think I would be able to do it myself because of lack of experience with groupbuys. :/

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:07:59 »

So you are completely fine with someone taking this and making it reality? I was really interested in it, but I don't think I would be able to do it myself because of lack of experience with groupbuys. :/

Send me a PM if you want gmk contacts and the price quotation they gave me some time ago.

Offline lumpofunworth

• I’m a guy, that does stuff, with things, for fun.
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 08:13:15 »
Definitely a good looking set, has a similar vibe to some others but I like the accents.
I like keyboards like I like people... I like keyboards a bit more come to think of it... nvm