Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 181155 times)

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 09:57:50 »
interested

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 10:01:39 »
About the arrows, could we forget about the space cadet layout and use the vim standard instead?
Yes, please. I know it isn't precisely faithful to the original but am interested if that could at least be offered in an extras kit.

Offline Owl-

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 10:02:11 »
I'll have to see how pricing is as it is. Also what do you mean by Super/Win keys for Symbols kit? Super Meta Hyper are already in the base kit, considering adding 1x Meta and 1x Hyper in 1.5u if pricing allows it.

As in a novelty alternative of the Super key for the Symbols Kit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 February 2018, 10:05:11 by Owl- »

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 10:46:51 »
Pad printing if ugly tho.

Who said anything about pad printing tho.

People asking for front legends, even if they're pad printed.
keyboards.

Offline EightDiagram

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 11:12:09 »
@Oblotzky...thanks for bringing this set to life!

How does MD measure how much interest in a set design is enough to green-light it for drop?  Factoring in new molds and such, would it be reasonable to see this ship before the end of the year?  Just curious how it all works.

Offline zslane

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 11:47:02 »
I could say it's not space cadet without centered legends on spherical caps with the additional front printed legends.

And I would largely agree with you. The most disappointing thing about 7bit's Round 6 Space Cadet keycaps is the lack of pad-printed front legends. But I have to believe their absence was a concession to cost. Nevertheless, they are the best "Space Cadet" keycaps anyone has tried to make, superior even to Symbiosis which wasn't sculptured.

What I find puzzling is the apparent love for this design from people who don't like spherical (SA) keycaps (which are the closest to the original Space Cadet keycaps you'll find in production today). This says to me that you have two types of interested buyers here: those who love the original Space Cadet keyboard in its entirety and want something as close as possible to it using contemporary components, and those who just like keycaps with unusual legends. The Space Cadet is very special to me, and I feel a little saddened that its legacy is being plundered just to pander to the second crowd, but that's my neurotic cross to bear and nobody else's. I still support this GB because Oblotzky's heart is in the right place, even if it does aim to please buyers who don't really have an appreciation for the OG keyboard that inspires it.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:16:50 »
What I find puzzling is the apparent love for this design from people who don't like spherical (SA) keycaps (which are the closest to the original Space Cadet keycaps you'll find in production today). This says to me that you have two types of interested buyers here: those who love the original Space Cadet keyboard in its entirety and want something as close as possible to it using contemporary components, and those who just like keycaps with unusual legends. The Space Cadet is very special to me, and I feel a little saddened that its legacy is being plundered just to pander to the second crowd, but that's my neurotic cross to bear and nobody else's. I still support this GB because Oblotzky's heart is in the right place, even if it does aim to please buyers who don't really have an appreciation for the OG keyboard that inspires it.

I can only speak for myself (and I know I'm in the minority for sure) but I dislike typing on SA despite being a fan of the aesthetic as you know, the main reason I'm behind this project is because I know how significant the original keyboard is/was and I would like an opportunity to own a tribute to it that I can actually type on comfortably (which I cannot do with SA). Additionally, it helps that it is going to be available for purchase in a much more reasonable manner than Round X caps.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a sucker for all sets with quirky caps so even if I didn't care for Space Cadet I'd still get this but I know what you mean by it kind of doing a disservice to the legacy it entails - it doesn't particularly bother me that people who have no idea as for the why of the set's inception will own it but I hope the Massdrop description helps educate the ones that want to learn at least. I think that might help a little.

Offline yokken

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:53:06 »
188626-0

Different typeface plus different key profile means this has none of the character of the original and all of the obscurity. I think this is objectively a poorly designed set but that is my subjective opinion. I understand nostalgia but nostalgia just doesn't mean something was good, it just means someone remembers it fondly - sometimes because new stuff makes the old stuff seem so bad that it's cute/adorable. This is one of those times. Sorry Oblotzky, I like a lot of your other stuff, but this is not indicative of your usually good eye.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 12:54:36 »
(Attachment Link)

Different typeface plus different key profile means this has none of the character of the original and all of the obscurity. I think this is objectively a poorly designed set but that is my subjective opinion. I understand nostalgia but nostalgia just doesn't mean something was good, it just means someone remembers it fondly - sometimes because new stuff makes the old stuff seem so bad that it's cute/adorable. This is one of those times. Sorry Oblotzky, I like a lot of your other stuff, but this is not indicative of your usually good eye.

That's okay, we can't always agree on everything :) Thanks for your honest opinion!

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:06:53 »
I'm def in for this.

Oblotzky - any chance of a Hyper 7 kit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7wubx0/i_hear_space_cadet_is_popular/

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #110 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:17:52 »
I don't know a shred about the OG Space Cadet, but I love this homage to it. It's a shame to see people nitpicking about the profile, the typeface and font, and legend orientation. Looking forward to buying a few kits. Great work as usual Oblotzky.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:29:05 »
I'm def in for this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7wubx0/i_hear_space_cadet_is_popular/

None, that's just not gonna break MOQ. Plus I'm pretty sure GMK lacks a handfull of keysizes in the right rows.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:30:53 »
I'm def in for this.

None, that's just not gonna break MOQ. Plus I'm pretty sure GMK lacks a handfull of keysizes in the right rows.

It was sarcasm tbf!!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:31:36 »
I'm def in for this.

It was sarcasm tbf!!

How would I know, people request the weirdest **** every time  :-*

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 13:52:25 »
Yeah... I'll definitely be in on this even though I shouldn't.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 15:40:27 »
Updated Ergopreonic and Blue Alphas to remove duplicate keys, added R2 hand pointing right in blue to Symbols kit so the TKL cluster can now be populated with hand symbols properly (Page Up and Down, Home and End)

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 16:20:37 »
Oblotsky, could you possibly add some of the other unique keys like "status", "Terminal", and "network"?

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 16:21:06 »
Woops double post

Offline schmoktopus

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 16:40:50 »
Love the colours but don't really care for the alpha legends. I'd rather it was like Laser with a standard alpha set and an extra alpha set with the legends, rather than another set of the same but in blue

Again, Oblotzky is simply trying to stay faithful to the original design, but in cherry profile. If you want normal Latin alphas, this is not the set you're looking for. Not trying to put your idea down, but it wouldn't be space cadet without these alphas.

This!!!  No offense, but I honestly do not understand why we do not make this a SA set. I might be a gorgeous colourway, but GMK just isnt the fitting profile.

I could say it's not space cadet without centered legends on spherical caps with the additional front printed legends.

It already isn't space cadet, and never will be.

Offline Petch

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 16:40:53 »
Legends, profile, pad printing etc. aside...

Will you get colour samples before the full production and be able to borrow an original spade cadet to compare them against? Or will you just be going off Chyrosran's picture?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 16:53:26 »
Legends, profile, pad printing etc. aside...

Will you get colour samples before the full production and be able to borrow an original spade cadet to compare them against? Or will you just be going off Chyrosran's picture?

Color samples will be checked before production kicks off of course, since I live in Germany the turnover rate is very fast on this too, no week long waiting for stuff to arrive on the other side of the world.

I will look into how I might be able to obtain real keys from a SpaceCadet, though due to their rarity this might not be possible. 7bit chose BFP and GD for blue and gray, I will dig through the archives and see how he decided on these chips from SP. I own both chips already and would provide these to GMK for color matching, which worked wonderfully in the past for Oblivion, their first try was 100% spot on, see here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89241.msg2478443#msg2478443

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 17:05:40 »
I really wish that just the grey alphas were available. I am not a big blue fan. Might buy the kit just for grey. Either way, I love this set. Great job!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 17:12:20 »
I really wish that just the grey alphas were available. I am not a big blue fan. Might buy the kit just for grey. Either way, I love this set. Great job!

How does blue alphas being offered optionally affect your buying experience?

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 17:19:07 »
Glad you didn't go the pad printed route.  The set is going to be super nice, and that blue alphas option is a great idea.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 17:44:14 »
Those blue alphas are awesome.
I'm definitely going to be getting those.

Offline ba7777

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 17:46:53 »

Maybe he want it as a stand-alone grey alpha kit.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 18:30:18 »
Those blue alphas are awesome.
I'm definitely going to be getting those.

Same here. I was "almost" getting out of the keyboard madness, when this so easily gets me inside it again. Let's be it, those blue alphas will get money out of my pocket, one more time.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 19:46:58 »
Full doubleshot :cool:

Dem, I'm interested.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline rippor

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 19:52:36 »
Im in for SA, no dice on the GMK tho

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 19:59:50 »
Im in for SA, no dice on the GMK tho

The group buy for SA ran several eons ago, you lost your opportunity.

Offline zslane

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 20:03:20 »
Glad you didn't go the pad printed route.

Pad printing was never a consideration for the top legends. The only proposal for pad printing was for the front legends, which is a pretty cool idea.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 20:32:23 »
I might buy just the novelties (symbols), I think they look cool 😎

Offline Valaris

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 20:38:10 »
What are the extra legends on the alphas? Like the rotated U's and T's?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 20:41:53 »

The Space Cadet is a keyboard designed for use with Symbolics' Lisp Machines, and many of the extra keys are specific to that use. This comment was taken from here.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #135 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 21:14:24 »

I think that it is a great option. I am just not big on blue. My personal preference would be the ability to buy the grey alphas only. Ultimately, we all have opinions and preferences and you, as a vendor, are not responsible for meeting them all. I think the set will do great! One of the neatest sets I have seen in a while! Again, I may go in for a full kit for those alphas!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 21:27:20 »

splitting kits is bad, GMK charges more when you do that

i like it better this way
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 21:29:56 »

Getting ‘just the alphas’ from the base set is never an option anyway.. otherwise I would have bought ‘just the alphas’ from Nautilus. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 21:38:07 »

Getting ‘just the alphas’ from the base set is never an option anyway.. otherwise I would have bought ‘just the alphas’ from Nautilus. :shrug:

it was doable in 2013 with SP since there were like 50 of us and we could never agree and we knew we'd be paying a ****load anyway

now people are more agreeable since there are more of us
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 22:32:01 »

If you have to ask, this GB is not for you.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #140 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 22:34:30 »

If you have to ask, this GB is not for you.

No need to be a **** about it?

It's a genuine question you know the answer to. Be helpful and not upset that it isn't SA.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 23:24:02 »

:thinkingface: but the blue is available in just the alphas... I am basically saying I wish the grey was an option, rather than the blue.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:32:59 »
Buy the base and sell the mods. Someone will buy so they can make two full sets without having to buy two base kits.
keyboards.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 06:38:24 »

:thinkingface: but the blue is available in just the alphas... I am basically saying I wish the grey was an option, rather than the blue.

If it's a true homage to Space Cadet grey can't be an option. It's the right colour for the alphas. This is 7bit Round 6

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 07:20:41 »
Why isn't the mixed white text and black text mods the base kit?

Sent from my DREA100 using Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 08:00:05 »
Why isn't the mixed white text and black text mods the base kit?

Sent from my DREA100 using Tapatalk

I expect 95% of buyers wanting to have all white-mods, so switching this setup around would increase cost for the vast majority by ~35$, while true cadetters can still achieve their dream with the optional kit and would be okay with the price I hope.

it's not ideal, but I believe this is the best approach for the GB

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 08:08:01 »
I agree that all white is the way to go in the base. A majority of purchasers aren't going to buy this because it's space cadet.  They're going to buy it because it looks cool and has funky sublegends, and white looks a bit more cohesive.
keyboards.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 08:29:35 »
I had all but given up almost immediately when I knew that I wanted the SA set... (either of them... Yeah good luck to me!)

Something attainable, and in a more comfortable profile?

An instant classic.

Looking at the response over just a few days, this is going to sell a LOT of sets.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 February 2018, 08:35:56 by vewy_nice »

Offline reijikyosuke

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 08:43:32 »
nice colorway, I hope it will run smoothly  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline pvd

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 09:56:21 »
I own a Hyper7 set that I got from the R6 leftovers and I like it, but I don't think anyone should have to spend $400 to obtain a keyset, however nice. This looks like a nice and affordable alternative to selling your soul for some plastic.

I think arguing over the "authenticity" of a space cadet set in a different profile is absurd. There is what, one person who has actually assembled a proper space cadet board in a proper replication of the original. Literally everyone else bought the set and paired it with standard modifiers because math runes look cool. And math runes still look cool in a different profile.