Author Topic: [GB] ESPECTRO  (Read 68466 times)

Offline funkybeat7

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO - PCB's Complete - Case PC Complete - Case ALU 85%
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 15:43:19 »
Hello everyone! Im Dave from mechkeys.ca and i present to you our newest in-house project, Espectro.

UPDATES

June 4th Update

My factory producing Espectro was met with some troubles with the Chinese gov't regarding pollution control. The shared space that they were using was violating their new pollution laws, and they had to relocate - thus affecting every project inside of said space. Espectro has been delayed a couple weeks, and my new production end date I've been told is one half month from today.

Greatly greatly sorry for this - I know everyone is itching to get their boards, unfortunately there is nothing I can do with this - it's completely out of my hands and my control and I'm just along for the ride at this point alongside all of you. I will update when I have more news.

The PCB's, plates, and poly carb bases are all 100% completed, we're just waiting for the rest of the cases to wrap up - and then anodizing.

Thanks

That's unfortunate. One and a half months or just half a month?
One half month would be approx. two weeks. In China, they do not divide their month by days/weeks but by pieces (half month).

Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to change my shipping address then if it's going to be making its way out later. What would be the best way to do that if I was going to sometime next week?

Offline JMD

• All we want is happiness.
    • Mech Keys
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 20:22:04 »
Hello everyone! Im Dave from mechkeys.ca and i present to you our newest in-house project, Espectro.

UPDATES

June 4th Update

My factory producing Espectro was met with some troubles with the Chinese gov't regarding pollution control. The shared space that they were using was violating their new pollution laws, and they had to relocate - thus affecting every project inside of said space. Espectro has been delayed a couple weeks, and my new production end date I've been told is one half month from today.

Greatly greatly sorry for this - I know everyone is itching to get their boards, unfortunately there is nothing I can do with this - it's completely out of my hands and my control and I'm just along for the ride at this point alongside all of you. I will update when I have more news.

The PCB's, plates, and poly carb bases are all 100% completed, we're just waiting for the rest of the cases to wrap up - and then anodizing.

Thanks

That's unfortunate. One and a half months or just half a month?
One half month would be approx. two weeks. In China, they do not divide their month by days/weeks but by pieces (half month).

Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to change my shipping address then if it's going to be making its way out later. What would be the best way to do that if I was going to sometime next week?
You just fire off an email - of which I have already received =)

Thanks.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline Topernicus

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 06 June 2018, 22:25:04 »
Can't wait for this beauty to arrive!!!

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #203 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 07:15:57 »
Just curious, how long do you expect assembly to take for those of us that chose it?

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 18:20:59 »
Just curious, how long do you expect assembly to take for those of us that chose it?
If I receive everything on a monday - it will all be shipped by friday and then the saturday/sunday after will be dedicated to assembly.

So roughly about a week, not too long!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #205 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 08:30:23 »
Have you received a new update since the 4th? Really looking forward to this build!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Offline elmateo487

« Reply #206 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 08:34:13 »
On discord there was a small update that the factory could be done with the cases by the end of the week

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #207 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 15:51:56 »
On discord there was a small update that the factory could be done with the cases by the end of the week

Thanks! :D

Offline Colecjc

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 09:22:53 »
Hey all,
I'm not in the discord, any more updates? Really looking forward to this board!

Offline elmateo487

« Reply #209 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 11:33:08 »
No new updates.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 12:07:21 »
I'm waiting for my factory to give me the word today!!
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline elmateo487

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 12:27:08 »

:eek: :eek: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Bzn

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 14:38:00 »

Awesome! Thanks for the update and keeping us in the loop!

Offline AlbinoMonster

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 07:33:23 »

Anything to share, even minor? I'm getting real excited to build this thing!

Offline Carlobv

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 07:36:25 »
This was on the discord on Thursday:

Espectro Update:

This factory has been delaying the production of Espectro and being less than communicative. I spoke with them a couple days ago, and the relocation apparently did not happen as quickly/smoothly as expected.

I'm going to be on the phone with them again next week to get some final answers as to why they are dragging this out for us. If we can't get these darn things done in a timely manner then I will be switching to a new factory. The unfortunate part about that is it will be more expensive(you guys don't have to worry about that) and yes, more damn waiting and I know it's killing you all. Trust me when I say it's killing me 100x more. I want this done, I want it in your hands.

However, dealings with this factory have been less than pleasant since the get go - I should have used option #2 when they jacked the production costs up on me.

Thanks for your guys understanding, my apologies this isn't going over smoothly - I've never had a GB go this sour in my near 2 years of being a business and I was dreading the day this happened.

Vortex Update:

Finally, the wait is over. Vortex boards are here and they're fantastic.

Again sorry for all the bad things happening, I wish it was different.

Offline Bzn

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 15:36:28 »
What a shame that this isn't going to pan out. Was a nice looking keeb too.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 15:46:53 »
have there been any updates on how the talk with the factory went? How are people feeling about the buy in general? I never been in a buy that has had difficulty's and wonder what other peoples feels are/were.

Offline holysht_itschris

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 15:54:38 »
An update was posted on facebook and in discord about an hour ago

Offline Bzn

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 15:55:11 »
have there been any updates on how the talk with the factory went? How are people feeling about the buy in general? I never been in a buy that has had difficulty's and wonder what other peoples feels are/were.

From the FB Page:

As of today July 16th I have some very unfortunate news.

The factory responsible for espectro has continued ghosting. I am left with no other choice but to begin the refund process.

Please note, this is important.

Total customer orders for this group buy were approx 34k CAD.

I spent an extra 5k CAD at the time of order because the factory stated production was to cost more. I also prepaid some shipping at their request for the tune of 1500.

Now I am just a small vendor. This was my only business and income and yes I understand the risks and I understand that if things go south I need to make sure to handle them.

I do not have this full 34k but I have already begun the process of liquidating every one of my assets in order to raise funds for this. To help raise more funding the prototype will be listed on eBay.

This process is going to take me a while as I will have to work another job/business to earn the money to pay everyone back. In total I will be out over 40 grand but I am confident I can make this happen I’m just unsure how fast.

I will begin refunding some orders this week. I will be starting with those of you who ordered first and working my way down the list.

I am so sorry that this happened and that I could not fulfill this group buy. I will be making a sale post on mechmarket to sell the remaining keyboard related assets I have as well I am stocked on some vortex products. Please help me sell those so that I can refund more of you.

The factory I do not have much information about at this time and I have a contact that travelled to Shenzhen and filed police reports and the police have been helping him find the owner of the factory but as of now there no final words on whether or not I will see the money or the keyboards.

I am so sorry. Please, if you can be patient with me while i work towards paying you all back. It is going to take some time.

Sorry I have failed you.

Dave

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #219 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 15:57:27 »
wow whelp that is really horrible news so I guess we can wait for a refund or if we payed thought paypal go that direction?

Offline holysht_itschris

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 16:00:16 »
The way it is being talked about, I can't help and feel bad for Dave, but how long is a long time for a refund? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years?  Especially if we were one of the last to order

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #221 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 17:16:47 »
Bummed to hear things turn out this way.
I didn't get in on this group buy because of other things but it was a great looking concept.
My mechmini2 is absolutely one of my favorite boards and it sucks people won't get to experience its joys of full polycarb bottom translated to full size form.
I always have it next to my desktop in case I just feel like using it when most other boards are boxed away. 
Best of luck getting things resolved Dave, you're a good dude.

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 17:47:38 »
Hello Geekhackers,

Let me address you all and make a request.

I have begun rolling out refunds, in order of first paid to last paid.

The exact time approximation to repay all of this is un known, however I do have the bank in my pocket to take a personal loan out to repay everything.

HOWEVER - many of you have initiated paypal chargebacks. Why is that a problem? I have now had the ability to take money out of the paypal account stripped - which means no further refunds can be made via paypal.

So those of you initiating chargebacks, I understand you want your refund, but you need to know that chargebacking is not getting it faster than anyone else. It's actually just delayed the process significantly.

I did not choose to have this happen, and I am dealing with it to the best of my ability. You've all been patient with this group buy this long, I just ask that you hold out a bit longer - many of you know me, and you know I'm not going anywhere.

This is just a speed bump to drive over on the journey, I have nothing to gain what so ever by abandoning this all completely.

I'm not telling you guys to cancel your chargebacks, but I am suggesting for the betterment of everyone involved, please give it a consideration.

Dave
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline THRILLHOIAF

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO- Refunds initiated. Details inside.
« Reply #223 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 18:09:49 »
The way it is being talked about, I can't help and feel bad for Dave, but how long is a long time for a refund? 6 months, 1 year, 2 years?  Especially if we were one of the last to order

Dave is going to be taking out anywhere between a $20K-30K PERSONAL loan after liquidating all his assets to make sure you and everyone else gets your refunds. The guy just got ripped off by some piece of **** Chinese "company." If it takes 1 year so be it.

Offline razor_blade

« Reply #224 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 18:21:51 »
So sorry to hear this Dave. We were all looking forward to building. Would you mind marking progress on the refunds via the Google sheet? I think it would keep those of us who are not initiating charge backs more comfortable. Best of luck.

Offline holysht_itschris

« Reply #225 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 18:22:35 »

Dave is going to be taking out anywhere between a $20K-30K PERSONAL loan after liquidating all his assets to make sure you and everyone else gets your refunds. The guy just got ripped off by some piece of **** Chinese "company." If it takes 1 year so be it.

Just to make it clear, I was not one of the people who charged back.  I was simply looking for more information, which was provided.  I trust Dave and appreciate everything he has done for this GB

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 18:26:08 »

Just to make it clear, I was not one of the people who charged back.  I was simply looking for more information, which was provided.  I trust Dave and appreciate everything he has done for this GB

no problem, just read the last half of your comment and coupled with how heated I am already...apologies for being rude

Offline JMD

• Mech Keys
« Reply #227 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 23:40:26 »
@everyone Sorry for the everyone tag again.

It's currently 10:30 PM and I just got a picture, video, and text message from my contact in China who was reaching out to the factory in Shenzhen. Him and another colleague managed to get ahold of the factory owner, and I guess whatever they did over there worked because he's been cranking on espectro.

So production on Espectro has been happening for the last few hours, and I am told that they are not stopping until it's done.

They have promised me absolutely that it is being done, and no delays, no lies, no bull****.

I am full of confusion and of course still have reservations however you as the customer can take this how you will.

If you want to keep on track with me on this, then I welcome you to . I want nothing more than to ship these out to you all.

If you still want a refund, then I can arrange that with you privately.

This is currently where we are at. As the customer, you need to tell me what you want to do moving forward.

Sorry for all this again, I didn't want to keep waiting and moved ahead with refunds, I had no expectations of them getting going. I do have a picture I'll be posting of the stack of aluminum bricks - the video I don't know how to pull, but it is of the CNC machine carving out an espectro.

Thanks for all the support throughout this process.
- mechkeys - ca -

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 00:57:07 »
if we did stay in the buy whats the ETA that things would complete and be shipped? I am guessing thought if they just started milling them. They still need to be anodized etc

Offline wowremy

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 02:51:19 »
Thanks for the good news Dave. I'm sure most of us are happy to wait longer after everything youve done for us to keep this thing going.

Offline holysht_itschris

« Reply #230 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 10:44:01 »
What a roller coaster of emotions!  So happy this is happening!

Offline razor_blade

Re: [GB] ESPECTRO- The rollercoaster. Coming to a theater near you !
« Reply #231 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 13:30:03 »
HAHAHA, I am HAPPILY back on the bandwagon! Your contact in China deserves commendation!

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #232 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 13:54:26 »
I'm glad to see that this is working out for everyone involved. Dave's a cool dude and his willingness to do what needed to be done for the people in the buy is even more proof of his character. Hopefully this is the top of the roller coaster and everything is a smooth ride from here on out.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #233 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 14:11:43 »
Will be emotional when these boards finally get into people's hands.

Offline upintheclouds

« Reply #234 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 23:53:04 »
I am still very excited for my boards! Please ship if you can.

EDIT: Any info on why my order isn't highlighted green on the order sheet? It looks correct.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2018, 20:31:46 by upintheclouds »

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #235 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:26:25 »
2 things:
1. I never received refund nor did I learn about this until literally 3 minutes ago nor do I want a refund.
2. I just want the board I paid for initially.
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline THRILLHOIAF

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 23:23:27 »
2 things:
1. I never received refund nor did I learn about this until literally 3 minutes ago nor do I want a refund.
2. I just want the board I paid for initially.

thats what your getting

Offline windsweptfrog

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 17:06:40 »
This has been one mad ride, lets hope its plain sailing from now because I for sure can't wait to get this board. Mad love for Dave and all he's done for this GB, he really has gone above and beyond!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 17:18:01 »
Yes! I am happy for you. FeelsGoodMan Clap

« Last Edit: Tue, 24 July 2018, 12:32:32 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline greywinthrop

« Reply #239 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:16:19 »
Any news since the 17th?

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 22:21:57 »
Any news since the 17th?

I highly recommend joining the discord for faster updates.
https://discord.gg/

Here is what has been updated since then:

I've been given a "rough" ETA. My contact said he estimates the production done on months end.

Take this lightly - as we've seen from this factory before, we can't really trust what they say 100% but we can trust what my contact says 150% so I do believe him when he says "I think maybe half month"....

. I have some factory pictures to share with you that you guys might find interesting.(edited)
Raw aluminum being smeltered as we speak to finish carving the remaining cases. The raw aluminum comes as you see below, and then is smeltered/melted into long rectangular bricks and heat treated to be prepared for CNC machining. Interesting process, I wish it was local so I could do some more video/pictures in more detail for you all.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Just got another round of updates from my contact. These will be the last videos/pics I'll get for a little bit. Looks like all the plates are completed and they're probably about 30% done all the cases. Once I figure out how to get the videos up on discord I will post them, but just know updates are here when he has something to update. They generally (over in china) don't like to give news if there isnt any.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Check out what we got. More accomplishment in the last 10 days than the previous 3 months they have put us through.

60 espectros are done. That’s 60/130. Here’s a few pics!!!!!!

Check out brass plates!! And a box full of raw espectros going for ano!!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 09:42:38 »
Any news since the 17th?

I've been given a "rough" ETA. My contact said he estimates the production done on months end.

Take this lightly - as we've seen from this factory before, we can't really trust what they say 100% but we can trust what my contact says 150% so I do believe him when he says "I think maybe half month"....

. I have some factory pictures to share with you that you guys might find interesting.(edited)
Raw aluminum being smeltered as we speak to finish carving the remaining cases. The raw aluminum comes as you see below, and then is smeltered/melted into long rectangular bricks and heat treated to be prepared for CNC machining. Interesting process, I wish it was local so I could do some more video/pictures in more detail for you all.
Just got another round of updates from my contact. These will be the last videos/pics I'll get for a little bit. Looks like all the plates are completed and they're probably about 30% done all the cases. Once I figure out how to get the videos up on discord I will post them, but just know updates are here when he has something to update. They generally (over in china) don't like to give news if there isnt any.
Check out what we got. More accomplishment in the last 10 days than the previous 3 months they have put us through.

Using discord for quick and immediate updates/answers is great, but @JMD you can't expect everyone to hop over there just for updates.  By advertising the GB here, you're committing to updating here as well since not everyone is going to join every forum/channel/server that might have a snippet of an update.  The updates do seem to be relatively frequent here, so I'm by no means implying that you're slacking in this regard - just be sure to add the big updates here for visibility.  :thumb:

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #242 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 16:59:13 »
That discord link is invalid
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #243 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 17:01:01 »
Any news since the 17th?

Using discord for quick and immediate updates/answers is great, but @JMD you can't expect everyone to hop over there just for updates.  By advertising the GB here, you're committing to updating here as well since not everyone is going to join every forum/channel/server that might have a snippet of an update.  The updates do seem to be relatively frequent here, so I'm by no means implying that you're slacking in this regard - just be sure to add the big updates here for visibility.  :thumb:

To be fair. These were all sent in quick succession since the last update to the thread and I wouldn't consider them large updates. If I had never heard about those updates, I'd have been just as fine for when production finished and he updated me after that.

I only suggested people join the Discord because it's an easier way for everyone to communicate each other.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #244 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 17:02:23 »
That discord link is invalid

Oops sorry, looks like I posted the wrong thing. Here ya go: https://discord.gg/erb8aJD

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 17:11:39 »

To be fair. These were all sent in quick succession since the last update to the thread and I wouldn't consider them large updates. If I had never heard about those updates, I'd have been just as fine for when production finished and he updated me after that.

I only suggested people join the Discord because it's an easier way for everyone to communicate each other.

Fair point, I see that the first bit of my post was perhaps a bit too aggressive in that regard.  I'll retroactively put the emphasis on the last sentence of my previous post - moreso a caution against taking updates off-site than a condemnation for already doing so.  Appreciate the clarification, tanvir.  :thumb:

Offline Colecjc

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 07:12:28 »
Dave 08/09/2018
Update Time. No media.
1. Cases and plates are 100% machined.
2. They are drilling holes into cases and plates as we speak.
3. This will take a day or two.
4. Anodizing happens this week.
5. Shipping (cross ya fingers) happens after the weekend to my QC agent just outside of Shenzhen. Once he inspects everything and gives the A-OK, then he will repack it all and ship it to me.
6. we get OUR DANG KEYBOARDS!

Posted in Discord

Offline Bzn

« Reply #247 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 10:50:36 »
Dave 08/09/2018
Update Time. No media.
5. Shipping (cross ya fingers) happens after the weekend to my QC agent just outside of Shenzhen. Once he inspects everything and gives the A-OK, then he will repack it all and ship it to me.

Posted in Discord

So that update was made 8 days ago on Discord. Did they ship to the QC agent then?

Offline AlbinoMonster

« Reply #248 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 08:36:16 »
Dave 08/09/2018
Update Time. No media.

Posted in Discord

So that update was made 8 days ago on Discord. Did they ship to the QC agent then?

Don't know. It's been radio silence since that post, almost two weeks now.

If anything new gets posted in the discord, I'll relay it here

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #249 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 10:58:13 »
Hopefully we get a update this week. I like to know whats going on also