Author Topic: As a very long-time Razer Naga user, will I be able to re-learn to use G502?  (Read 3867 times)

Offline FurudoErika

Hello,

As title says! For some time, when I was very disappointed with Razer's product quality, but *needed* the usual Naga design for raiding in WoW, I replaced the Naga with Roccat Nyth; ergonomically, it did its job well, the buttons felt good, and enough of a replacement for Naga. But the laser sensor finally drove me nuts and I bought the newest Naga, the Trinity one. And, SURPRISE! It had a button defect! Who would've thought that buying a Razer product might end that way in 2018, right?! Being reminded of why I chose to end my relationship with them again, I returned the Naga and got Corsair Scimitar Pro.

Holy hell this mouse is crap. This mouse is totally unbelievable crap. The sensor is good, obviously, but the ergonomics... To say the least, even G600 did its 'Naga-like' a lot better than this. I'd say that Scimitar is officially the worst Naga-like there is.

And then I remembered about G502.

I play all 12 classes in WoW, and for all of them I use Naga's 1-2-3 row for the main rotational abilities. 1 is usually some filler ability that's being spammed 70%+ of the fight (Fireballs, Frostballs, Sinister Strikes, Shadowbolt, etc), 2 is the 'big' button, like important procs or abilities that consume the combo points/energy (like Pyroblasts, Eviscerate, Lava Burst, etc), 3 is some rotational ability that gets used very often, but is either a proc or has some sort of small cooldown (like Ice Lance, Flame Blast, Arcane Barrage, Cobra Shot, etc). 4 is used a lot less often, but is still used for most classes/specs, for situational abilities that still are used often; 5 is usually the main AoE ability.

All other binds that I usually have on Naga are... replaceable. I can live without them. But the issue is, G502 offers only 3 buttons for the thumb; the other two buttons on the left side are locked to the index finger - I'm completely not used to them. Theoretically, I believe I might be able to get my '4' and '5' buttons to those two, and the question is just how easily 'spammable' the three thumb buttons are on G502. Will I be able to re-adjust my 1-2-3 rotational abilities to G502's layout in relatively short amount of time? Would the thumb feel okay moving between those three buttons constantly, often while I have to hold and move the mouse at the same time as pressing those thumb buttons?

I really want to use G502; yet I just know perfectly well how much I'm used to the Naga layout and just how impossible it is for me to just abandon it after raiding that way for a decade.

If you have some experiences to share, perhaps of your transition from Naga-likes to G502, please do share.

Offline Lanrefni

I also play WoW and I use a G502,I bind Right Scroll to Alt as WoW doesn't recognize Right/Left Scroll,I put my 3 most commonly used abilities on the side buttons,next 3 abilities are Alt+ side button,then Shift+side buttons for the next 3, also Q & E bound to mid length cd's,Shift+Q/E long term cd's,1234 for abilities I use maybe 2 times in a fight.