Author Topic: New Trays: Eco Friendly and More Compact!  (Read 71511 times)

Offline GMK_Andy

New Trays: Eco Friendly and More Compact!
« on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 14:54:34 »
Hello Everyone,

I'd like to announce that we have finished our new tray design and would like to share it with you!

Here is the full announcement on our website: https://uniqey.net/en/blog/detail/sCategory/8/blogArticle/16

Furthermore, here is the manual for dimensions and design elements of the new banderole: https://uniqey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012762000-Manual-to-create-custom-banderoles

Please let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Andy

Offline Sagan

Re: New Trays: Eco Friendly and More Compact!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 23:17:17 »
This tray update is awesome! When do you start shipping keycaps in the new packaging? Will there also be a protective cover to go over the top tray so keys dont fall out like the current packaging version?

Offline GMK_Andy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 11:40:44 »
This tray update is awesome! When do you start shipping keycaps in the new packaging? Will there also be a protective cover to go over the top tray so keys dont fall out like the current packaging version?

They start with 8008 by DixieMech and will continue from there. People that have already placed orders should be aware what trays they will be using as they would have designed a banderole and will know if it is the old/new trays from that size!

Offline kidpid

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 17:24:39 »
I'm not a fan of these new trays. I'm happy that they're more eco-friendly, but other than that they're strictly worse. The keys do not stay still during shipping. I opened my set of 8008 and a bunch of keys were all over the place. The other issue is that the cardboard topper does not prevent particulates from getting on the keycaps. The top tray of keys had a bunch of dust and grime on it when I opened it up. Overall I don't like the new trays.

Offline GMK_Andy

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 April 2020, 13:38:14 »
I'm not a fan of these new trays. I'm happy that they're more eco-friendly, but other than that they're strictly worse. The keys do not stay still during shipping. I opened my set of 8008 and a bunch of keys were all over the place. The other issue is that the cardboard topper does not prevent particulates from getting on the keycaps. The top tray of keys had a bunch of dust and grime on it when I opened it up. Overall I don't like the new trays.

We are already working on solutions to ensure the caps stay put better during shipping. Like the original plastic trays when they first shipped (Triumph Adler on Massdrop for those that remember) there were issues as well that were quick to get a fix, notably the white clips that held the trays together. We definitely stand by our trays in that they are eco friendly, something very important to us, as well as the new size format. We think the size is just a much better format than the older trays. So we are aware of some of the downsides of the new trays and continuing to work on a solution to make sure they are as good as the old trays were, but with the notable improvements as well.

Thanks for your input, it is very much appreciated :thumb:

Offline Enemy

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 15:58:12 »
While I had a couple of the keys in the top tray flip, there did seem to be any damage to the caps. The trays cracked on one side but that didn't seem to matter much either. My problem has always been with the other keys that don't come in the big trays (new or old). I have a box entirely dedicated to extra keys of gmk sets because of these small trays you provide. Once the shrinkwrap is opened they are useless, and everything just flies all over the place. By now I try to make as small of a hole as possible to keep them in there better but these are trays I was hoping you would redesign while you are at it. I assume that sooner or later you'll also make them biodegradable but I sincerely hope that you make them a permanent storage solution for those keys and not just a shipping aid.

Offline GMK_Andy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 15:38:50 »
I sincerely hope that you make them a permanent storage solution for those keys and not just a shipping aid.

Yes, so this is something many people don't understand yet. They are definitely more geared towards being a shipping aid (and we have currently added wrap to make them much more stiff during shipping to prevent the caps from moving at all), and they aren't a perfect long term storage solution yet by any means. It does make sense to continue to look into ways to make them better at long term storage as well though, and something we certainly are looking into.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 05:31:30 »
Who ever designed this tray did not take customs inspections into consideration. It is impossible to visually inspect it without opening it up, and there is a high possibility of custom losing some keycaps.

My recent shipment was inspected by my customs, and the "M" key was dropped outside the GMK box (within the vendors box). Thank god for that, it didn't fall outside.

Offline Quteno

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 09:20:58 »
Yes, so this is something many people don't understand yet. They are definitely more geared towards being a shipping aid (and we have currently added wrap to make them much more stiff during shipping to prevent the caps from moving at all), and they aren't a perfect long term storage solution yet by any means.
And I think that this whole point defeats your "eco friendly" approach. Because after I trash this tray, I need to go online and buy plastic trays from JTK, or some other plastic containers to store my keys in.
Not really eco-friendly in any way. At least the old trays I could reuse.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 10:45:20 »
"eco" profit making, new trays are complete garbage! The old trays can be really used/re-used.
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline mrvco

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 12:10:32 »
I sincerely hope that you make them a permanent storage solution for those keys and not just a shipping aid.

Yes, so this is something many people don't understand yet. They are definitely more geared towards being a shipping aid (and we have currently added wrap to make them much more stiff during shipping to prevent the caps from moving at all), and they aren't a perfect long term storage solution yet by any means. It does make sense to continue to look into ways to make them better at long term storage as well though, and something we certainly are looking into.

Thanks for the feedback!

I just received GMK WoB in the new trays.  I like these trays much more than the old plastic trays.  Are the new trays available for sale sans keycaps anywhere?  I'd love to replace the big, awkward plastic trays from a couple older GMK sets that I own.  Thanks!

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 23:43:59 »
New trays only good for feeding the silverfish population..

Offline bansheetango

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 05:54:53 »
The old ones lasted for the life of the keycaps, these ones don't even survive shipping. Really eco-friendly when you toss them straight in the bin. Good job on the penny pinching GMK, I'm sure you're crying your heart out over a few disgruntled neckbeards, with all the money from the basic sets everyone and their grandma is running right now.
At least ePBT is still shipping with proper trays.

Offline Domantas

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 16:35:43 »
I wanted to say this:
New trays are ass. Bought jtk trays next day. How is that situation eco friendly? GMK people look at specific case, but overlook context. Btw have old tray and although it is not perfect I love it, cheers to old tray designer team !
What I like about new one is only that its compact, keep that
Thank you for listening. Please change new trays asap.

It is hilarious how everyone was hyped for new trays and how it was big let down. Sadge.

At least make the trays open and close, not hold by cardboard
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 March 2021, 16:44:35 by Domantas »