Author Topic: YooKB-PROG  (Read 1624 times)

Offline yoobe

• Yoobe
YooKB-PROG
« on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:35:21 »
Hi,

I am trying some idea for a programmer layout with small size.

What do you think? I only moved some key of a 75%, and worked on a Tenkey part using the number row directly.

This layout is possible with DSA or SA (row3), not with DCS or OEM I think due to some move.

118324-0
Yoobe

ErgoDox - Mx Brown
Filco Minila Air - Mx Red
RedScarfII+ VerC - Gateron White

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Re: YooKB-PROG
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 08:57:22 »
Overall it's nice.
I personally like the idea of shifting columns to the right to reduce keypresses with the left pinky although, being it a programmers keyboard, there's no reason for having Caps lock in that position or the Win key at all.
Also, in my opinion, the numpad's shift is not helpful at all because you would need to hold it down with the right pinky and press numbers with middle and ring fingers of the same hand.
Lastly I would fill the 0.25u gap between the left arrow and the PN key (what is it btw?) by making the spacebar 6.25u.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline jeffgran

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 09:44:03 »
I agree that the shift on the numpad will be hard to use. Also, you'll probably miss having a . on the numpad for entering decimal points in numbers, IP addresses, etc

Offline neverused

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 10:18:52 »
Overall it's nice.
I personally like the idea of shifting columns to the right to reduce keypresses with the left pinky although, being it a programmers keyboard, there's no reason for having Caps lock in that position or the Win key at all.
Also, in my opinion, the numpad's shift is not helpful at all because you would need to hold it down with the right pinky and press numbers with middle and ring fingers of the same hand.
Lastly I would fill the 0.25u gap between the left arrow and the PN key (what is it btw?) by making the spacebar 6.25u.
I agree with the capslock observation, but still feel the win key is necessary.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 14:15:44 »
I had a keyboard made with the number keys in a numpad cluster to the right.  I end up pressing the number keys with my pinky, which was not the intended effect because my pinky gets more of a workout than I want it to have.  My hands want to move as little as possible.  If you are doing tons of number entry with hand parked at the numbers for awhile, a dedicated numpad makes sense on a compact board.  But if you only are occasionally inputing numbers, a number row is a better fit for a compact board.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing