Author Topic: Ergodox - Can't program Teensy correctly  (Read 5013 times)

Offline jedcred

Ergodox - Can't program Teensy correctly
« on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:47:28 »
EDIT: a video of me following the instructions, likely missing that one critical point... :p

I seem to be having the greatest difficulty properly programming my Teensy.  I've tried this with two different Teensies.  I followed the instructions here: https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/assembly.  The only difference is that I close the Teensy loader app (or disable auto mode) before pressing the reset button the last time because the loader will just erase and reprogram the microcontroller forever otherwise.  However, when I do press the reset button, the keyboard does not register keypresses, the OSX keyboard identifier doesn't pop up (which it does for everyone else, it seems), and I get a Composite Device in the System Information dialog with the following information:

Composite Device:

Product ID:   0x0478
  Vendor ID:   0x16c0
  Version:    1.20
  Speed:   Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Location ID:   0x14200000 / 16
  Current Available (mA):   500
  Current Required (mA):   100

As opposed to what it should be, according to another user:

ErgoDox ergonomic keyboard

Product ID: 0x6028
Vendor ID: 0x1d50
Version: 1.00
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: unspecified
Location ID: 0xfa130000 / 7
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 100

Another oddity is that I can install the blink test apps (slow and fast) without any problem, and I have been able to install the test keyboard firmware from the teensy website that periodically presses a key (and that works).

Can anyone suggest any debugging steps?
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2013, 23:01:20 by jedcred »
Keyboards:
Filco tenkeyless with Cherry Blues
IBM Model M \'93
Razer Blackwidow x 2 (because parts)
Goldtouch Adjustable
Logitech MX 5500

Offline Larken

Re: Ergodox - Can't program Teensy correctly
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 07:50:46 »
It's just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried using the hex file generated from the massdrop configurator instead? From what I see in the video you seem to be performing the steps correctly, no reason why it's not working.

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 08:07:16 »
Soarer will weigh in here, for sure, but I am pretty sure that his converter takes the place of the blink software provided by pjrc and blink is not needed.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Soarer

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:44:02 »
... The only difference is that I close the Teensy loader app (or disable auto mode) before pressing the reset button the last time because the loader will just erase and reprogram the microcontroller forever otherwise.  However, when I do press the reset button, the keyboard does not register keypresses, ...

Maybe this is the bit you're missing... to run the code after loading it into the Teensy, you don't press the reset button. You should either click the 'Run' button on the loader, or disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. (The 'Run' button being the usual way when you have just loaded code).

(Terminology check: by reset button, I mean the one on the Teensy).
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:46:23 by Soarer »

Offline jedcred

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:02:37 »

Maybe this is the bit you're missing... to run the code after loading it into the Teensy, you don't press the reset button. You should either click the 'Run' button on the loader, or disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. (The 'Run' button being the usual way when you have just loaded code).

(Terminology check: by reset button, I mean the one on the Teensy).

I think I see what you mean. The reset button triggers the halfkay loader (which shows up as a composite device).  Pressing it at the end doesn't do the right thing at all. The instructions are quite incorrect as well, as they say "Step 21. Press and release the Teensy reset button (see Step 1). Your keyboard should now be accepting inputs!"  Really, I think it means to press the "Reboot" button on the loader (which still doesn't make sense, since the Auto mode does that for you).

As for the "Run" button, do you mean the "Reboot" button?  On OSX, the buttons on the loader app, from left to right, are "Open HEX File," "Program," "Reboot," and "Auto."  I did try that and unplugging/replugging with no dice.

However, very, very oddly, I knocked over the teensy accidentally and it started working, reporting as an Ergodox keyboard. Like an idiot, of course, I decided to reprogram it to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  Not sure what happened, but I can't it back at all.

Keyboards:
Filco tenkeyless with Cherry Blues
IBM Model M \'93
Razer Blackwidow x 2 (because parts)
Goldtouch Adjustable
Logitech MX 5500

Offline Soarer

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 03:26:30 »
Sorry, yes, I meant 'Reboot' instead of 'Run'.

Indeed, Step 21 does sound completely wrong! That will just trigger halfkay again. I can't remember now if Auto mode is the default when you first install the Teensy loader, since it's been so long since I installed it! I tend not to use Auto.

I can't think of anything else I'm afraid... or why it worked that one time!

Offline orcinus

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 17:22:11 »
I know i'm way too late to the party, but just stumbled on the same issue and went searching...
In case someone's in the same boat and finds this:

THE HALVES MUST BE CONNECTED!
It doesn't work without the port extender half!

Seems obvious, i know, but when you solder up the first half and hook it up to check if everything works, if you're me, you'll do it before you continue on with the second half - and then end up wondering why it's not working.