Author Topic: [IC] HoodrowG - Matrix 1.2og replacement PCBs  (Read 48280 times)

Offline HoodrowThrillson

Re: [IC] Matrix 1.2og replacement PCBs - Protos ordered
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 22:18:00 »
Good evening, during this time of being stuck in the house and with my Polaris no where to be seen, I made an impulse purchase of a beautiful olive Matrix 1.2og. I learned that Matrix does not make replacement PCBs and although I am getting a brand new PCB with it, I fear the day where I find out my PCB is dead.

In order to combat this, I've decided to enlist the help of PCB guru Ender to create a PCB that can be a drop in replacement for the 1.2og. When my Matrix arrives, I will be shipping it directly to him so he can begin work on it.

TLDR: I'm getting replacement 1.2og PCBs made

Drop in for 1.2og
Designed by Ender
ESD protection
QMK compat and possibly VIA
Maybe FR4 plates if people want them?

Fill out IC form so you can give me feedback on what y'all want.
IC FORM HERE
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline MontePythons

Re: [IC] Matrix 1.2og replacement PCBs
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 13:40:51 »
I am definitely in for one, but in the meantime, does anyone have a cheat sheet for the stock 1.2 pcb LED controls? I've figured most of it, (pause + tab) as well as changing speed and colors, but can't seem to get a static color. Any help is appreciated!

Offline dpcloud

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 23:50:40 »
I am in

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 12:39:07 »
Any thoughts on offering a silicon pad that fits between place/pcb, similar to the 2.0 Add?

Offline elvenblack

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 08:39:04 »
Any thoughts on offering a silicon pad that fits between place/pcb, similar to the 2.0 Add?

hmm, that's interesting.

Offline dumpling420

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 17:02:33 »
I am definitely in for one, but in the meantime, does anyone have a cheat sheet for the stock 1.2 pcb LED controls? I've figured most of it, (pause + tab) as well as changing speed and colors, but can't seem to get a static color. Any help is appreciated!

+1 would appreciate help with this as well

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 18:21:23 »
Sorry, I don't want to have too many things going on at the same time.

We're already offering PCB, daughterboard (acrylic diffuser, rubber gasket thing around lights), more individual parts may increase lead time or cause delays.

Prototypes will be shipping to me in the next few days.

In the meanwhile, here is the LED daughterboard in action, they can be set very bright
https://imgur.com/R68v5jm
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 July 2020, 18:31:13 by HoodrowThrillson »
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 17:16:44 »
PCB received, sending my Matrix off to get built (I don't trust myself).

I tested it out of the box and was functioning properly, cross checked placement of everything with the original PCB I have and it matched up.

Pictures of PCB (final PCB tbd: I want it to be black, but green is classic)

Light bar comparison

New light bar placed on top of proto PCB

Nude PCB front

Nude PCB back

Light bar in action
https://i.imgur.com/R68v5jm.mp4

There are several things left to do before we can start GB on this, once prototype PCB is built, things should fall into place quickly.

Additionally, I am looking for someone with an AbelX in the CONUS who is willing to test this PCB (I heard that this PCB fits the Abel), DM me here or on Discord Hoodrow Thrillson#6850.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 July 2020, 12:01:46 by HoodrowThrillson »

Offline evorus5

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 19:01:37 »
These look really good!
+ 1 on the black PCB. I know the green looks classic but i think black would look good.

Offline modeseven

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 01 August 2020, 04:34:10 »
+1 on black pcb, but regardless excited to see this come together!

Offline kimchijody

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 23:46:31 »
Don't care what color personally. But black would be nice. Just hoping this gets made soon! Love it!

Offline of_sam

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 22:12:09 »
Nice work so far. Thanks for the effort you're putting in for this.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 12:14:40 »
I should have my board back in my hands next weekend (just finished moving into my new apartment).

Talking with Upas to get this up and going, but he is a very busy guy.

Offline jyojoh

• I'll eat your lube
    • Twitch
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 21 August 2020, 04:10:49 »
Excited for this! Also, probably the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know all the default LED lighting controls? Just received and all I've figured out is that tab+pause is how to change the patterns.

Edit: Figured out a bit more, pause+1 or 2 changes colors for the led pattern that has two "beams" moving around. For the pattern that has 4 colors of beams moving around, pause+1,2,3,4 control those colors. Light bar seems to react to tab+q, w, e, r, but not sure what these 4 key combinations do.

Edit 2: Pause+s controls speed. It cycles through speed options and then wraps back around.

Edit 3: Pause+c controls color for the patter than consists of the led pattern that moves from left to right. Who would have thought.

Edit 4: Pause+n controls "length" of the led pattern that moves from left to right.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2020, 04:43:44 by jyojoh »

Offline modeseven

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 18:27:47 »
Excited for this! Also, probably the wrong place to ask, but does anyone know all the default LED lighting controls? Just received and all I've figured out is that tab+pause is how to change the patterns.

Edit: Figured out a bit more, pause+1 or 2 changes colors for the led pattern that has two "beams" moving around. For the pattern that has 4 colors of beams moving around, pause+1,2,3,4 control those colors. Light bar seems to react to tab+q, w, e, r, but not sure what these 4 key combinations do.

Edit 2: Pause+s controls speed. It cycles through speed options and then wraps back around.

Edit 3: Pause+c controls color for the patter than consists of the led pattern that moves from left to right. Who would have thought.

Edit 4: Pause+n controls "length" of the led pattern that moves from left to right.

Holy crap, I learned something new today. Thank you for sharing this.

Offline Ramen Champ

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 23 September 2020, 11:08:39 »
definitely interested!
twitch.tv/ramenchamp_

Offline Ramen Champ

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 18:23:45 »
Any updates on this? Trying to decide if it's worth rebuilding my 1.2og with this POM plate I had lying around or if I should just wait for the gb
twitch.tv/ramenchamp_

Offline Click This

• Oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 15:11:02 »
Wondering if there are any updates on this as well. I've been following/lurking this thread for a while, but I'm worried that the project is dead.

Matrix 1.2og | Matrix 2.0add | KFE CE | Justsystems x Evija HHKB | Realforce 91U | Canoe Gen.1

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 18:26:58 »
Right now, Ender and I need to put all our files together and send it to Upas. We have it scattered across 2 different group chats and we're both busy but this is just to let y'all know that we still intend to get this going.

Sorry it's taking so long, I won't give excuses as they aren't really necessary.

Offline AgonizedFish

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 03:19:43 »
I’m definitely interested in picking a few up, hope this goes to GB :)

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 11:28:57 »
Right now, Ender and I need to put all our files together and send it to Upas. We have it scattered across 2 different group chats and we're both busy but this is just to let y'all know that we still intend to get this going.

Sorry it's taking so long, I won't give excuses as they aren't really necessary.

Excited to hear that at least this is still in the works and not scrapped. Thanks for the udpate

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 14:12:29 »
Exciting stuff!
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline Click This

• Oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 04:22:36 »
Awesome, glad to hear it's still in the works.

Matrix 1.2og | Matrix 2.0add | KFE CE | Justsystems x Evija HHKB | Realforce 91U | Canoe Gen.1

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 18:33:17 »
My matrix 1.2og pcb just died on me for no apparent reason. kaput, nothing, no power coming through.

hoodrow, you are our (actually my) only hope.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 18:35:21 »
My matrix 1.2og pcb just died on me for no apparent reason. kaput, nothing, no power coming through.

Well good thing for you, all the files have been sent over to Upas.

Offline aadk5

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 20:08:52 »

Holy **** it's happening!

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 10 November 2020, 23:11:17 »

well today has been an emotional rollercoaster!

Offline sourmk

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 07:52:03 »
Appreciate the efforts put into this project. Looking forward to the GB! :thumb:
Some Work: GMK Wasabi | GMK Pono | GMK Dandy | ePBT DuO | GMK Hooty | Petals Sixty

Some Collabs: ePBT Ivory | GMK Deep Navy | GMK Fundamentals | GMK Polybius | GMK Blurple | GMK Deepwell | GMK Fuji | GMK Pacific

Some Boards: Daji Seis Cinco, Ocho Quattro, Seis Cero | MatrixLab 2.0 ADD + CP, 2.0 Xmas + CP, 1.2OG | Keycult 1/60 | Hiney Ladybird | QXP | Noxary 268.2

Discord - https://discord.gg/j3PxfJ4rBC | Instagram - https://instagram.com/sourmk | Web - https://www.sourmk.com/

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 08:07:02 »
Thanks for pushing this forward! I love how my 1.2og sounds and feels, but since I can't program it, I was using it way less than I would normally do.

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 16:19:38 »

F
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:11:05 »
2.0 next pls
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:31:52 »
2.0 next pls
I did consider 2.0add but that one is a tough one to get done.

I did hear that H87 technically fits but will need some modification.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 12:45:50 »

I measured the spacing between left arrow and right control and it's shorter on 2.0 than H88. I don't have H87 but I would assume the spacing is the same on H88 and H87. All Matrix TKLs have the same slightly shorter spacing
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 13:28:20 »

I measured the spacing between left arrow and right control and it's shorter on 2.0 than H88. I don't have H87 but I would assume the spacing is the same on H88 and H87. All Matrix TKLs have the same slightly shorter spacing
2.0add or 2.0. I heard that the spacing is only shorter on certain boards (ie: 1.2og)

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 13:38:20 »

2.0add or 2.0. I heard that the spacing is only shorter on certain boards (ie: 1.2og)

ah yeah you are totally right. I actually measured on 1st gen Abel and it is shorter. I just placed 2.0add plate over Jane v2 CE and the spacing is identical. 1.2 OG spacing is the same as 2.0add.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline leftykeys

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 19:17:28 »
Glad to hear this is happening! So many combinations I want to try in my 1.2

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 01:27:42 »
I was wondering if we can buy the lightbar alone by itself? Or do we have to buy another PCB to get an additional lightbar?
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 23:19:01 »
Welp - I got my original 1.2og pcb repaired (it just died one day for no apparent reason). Worked fine again for half a day when I got it back from being repaired, then the same thing happened - just died.

I think this pcb has some real issues man, it needs to go see a counsellor or something.

Can't wait for the replacement!

Offline aadk5

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 23:30:51 »
Welp - I got my original 1.2og pcb repaired (it just died one day for no apparent reason). Worked fine again for half a day when I got it back from being repaired, then the same thing happened - just died.

I think this pcb has some real issues man, it needs to go see a counsellor or something.

Man, I feel bad just reading this lol. I have a spare desoldered PCB and brand new light bar that's yours if you just pay shipping if you needed it

Offline tommyhongg

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:45:56 »

I have a spare PCB if you want Petrov. Oh, I just saw aadk5's post.
Matrix Magic3 | Frog TKL

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 12:40:11 »
For anyone wondering if this is dead, no it's not dead.

Offline juaninamilli

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 18:30:05 »
What are your plans for ground pour? The original green didn’t have any and sounds much different/nicer than the white one w a full ground pour?

Offline kaisn

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 04:04:56 »

My PCB is dead. Should I wait for this or keep bothering Albertzzz on the matrix discord to sell me a replacement PCB?

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 08:56:05 »

My PCB is dead. Should I wait for this or keep bothering Albertzzz on the matrix discord to sell me a replacement PCB?
Upas told me that he'll have time to dive into this once his keyboard GBs are complete (so in a week or so).

I mean, honestly, if I were in your position, it would depend on how often you use your 1.2og. I haven't touched mine since I got my 2.0add. If you're really itching to get yours rebuilt, then I would keep bothering poor Albert.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 15:17:17 »

Man, I feel bad just reading this lol. I have a spare desoldered PCB and brand new light bar that's yours if you just pay shipping if you needed it
Love seeing helpful people like this. So wholesome and nice.

Offline kaisn

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 12:27:08 »
the plates are still a thing? FR4/PC, Half/fullplate?

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 16:05:22 »
I'll make sure that it's a thing.

I really want to try PC half/full on this board, it would probably sound pretty damn good.

Offline kaisn

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 17:03:40 »

I really want to try PC half/full on this board, it would probably sound pretty damn good.

Yes, please and I agree I think so too

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 05:43:29 »
There were some questions posed about the 1.2og pcb working in AbelX. I am currently using a 1.2og yellow pcb in my abelx, albeit there are some caveats.
- For alphas everything is fine
- For tkl cluster (arrows, print screen/delete etc) spacing is off
- I had to cut and trim the pegs in switches to make them fit, but it works
- Mini-USB port sits further back on 1.2og pcb compared to the abelx pcb, which extends the mini-usb port out about 1cm. Usb ports align, however, which means if you have a small cable it works fine.

258795-0

I would not recommend doing this, but if you are in a pinch and want to use your abelx, a 1.2og pcb will work...sort of

Hope this helps, and gives some closure to the issue.

258797-1

edit: I figured it was obvious, but without some janky hand wiring the leds will not work...as there are none on the board.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline DoctorNunu

• Masterworks
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 10:28:43 »

Got any status update on the project? Really excited to rebuild my 1.2  :thumb:
Btw, if you need files for the half-plates just let me know. I could only find the files for full plate, so I had to make it from that.