Author Topic: [IC] grid 100, 10% modular keypad  (Read 5569 times)

Offline gridishere

[IC] grid 100, 10% modular keypad
« on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 21:56:09 »
Hi there, grid 100 is our latest work.  You can also check it on our website https://www.gridishere.com/work/grid-100 or go directly to its configurator page.https://www.gridconfigurator.com/

grid 100
10% modular keypad

Intro

In July 2021, inspiration occurred to us when we were working on the structural analysis on grid 600 R2.

We were imagining something small, flexible, beautiful, and powerful that could be the extension of our daily driver keyboard and an exquisite standalone HID device.

We've also gathered some motivation from some movies. Like the Joystick Q uses when searching for villains at his place, like the input device Dr.Ido uses when he applies a cyber ware surgery.

We carefully cultivated this idea, broadly tested its feasibility, and relentlessly refined it.

So here it is, grid 100.

Mini modules and chassis

grid100 is a 10% layout small keypad which supports three different modules:
  • MINI-PRESS: a 1x2U with a tiny keyboard with hot-swappable sockets.
  • CYCLE-ENCODER: a 2x2U encoder module similar to the CYCLE module for grid 650.
  • CYCLE-JOYSTICK: 2x2U module with a joystick.

There are two different chassis: Ver. CLASSIC and Ver. FLASH.

grid 100 is quite versatile.
It can be a regular 10-key keypad. Powered by QMK and supported by VIA or Vial, each key can be customized with a key value or macro.

grid 100 can be a music player control device with dual CYCLE-ENCODER modules. The module comes in both stepped and smooth versions, the stepped version can be ideal for song selection, and the smooth one can be useful for volume control.

Alternatively, grid 100 can be a six-button arcade game controller with a joystick. The customizable layout design makes it friendly for left-handed users. The joystick can even be mapped as a mouse, turning the grid100 into a large Trackpoint.

The Fn button, Firmware and Configurator

At the upper right corner of the grid100, we put an Fn switch and wired it directly into the keypad's matrix. By default, it is the layer switch key, and it doubles as the boot magic button for easier firmware flashing. You can program it into any other key if you would like.

We put PORON pad behind the Fn Button for better feeling and remove rattling.

Speaking of layout and firmware, we have created a web-based grid configurator for you to customize and visualize your grid 100 setup and download related firmware and macros (macros can achieve some functions that cannot be executed by firmware alone, such as pressing the Fn key to switch layers and lighting effects at the same time).

Let's talk about some details of the modules.

1. MINI-PRESS (feat.grid Linear semi-silent switch)

Haptic and sound character matters a lot to us. The gasket-mounted MINI-PRESS module is our first product that features a Rigid-Flex PCB design that isolates the vibration from the PCB to the keypad chassis. The small PCB is made of two layers of FR-4 with a sheet of FPC (flexible printed circuit) laminated in between and a stainless steel plate reinforcing the structural weak point.

The PCB works in conjunction with two layers of PORON gaskets and 1.5mm polycarbonate position plates. There is virtually no hard physical connection between the switches and the keypad chassis. The switches are just floating inside the board. In terms of the chassis, we fill it with two PORON damping foams to reduce hollowness.

We called it MINI-PRESS but paid significant attention to it. We even designed a switch for the grid100: the grid linear semi-silent switch, which features a 55g gold-plated spring, pre-lubrication, and fence design. Semi-silent means the switch only creates one definitive click sound when it hits bottom. It helps typing accuracy, and it sounds unique. The translucent cases, on the other hand, enhance RGB backlight from the MINI-PRESS module.

All grid 100 will be shipped with 5 MINI-PRESS modules, 10 grid linear semi-silent switches, and 10 frosted keycaps. There will also be some switches available for order.

Rigid-Flex PCB & Switch lifespan tester
To lifespan test on both the MINI-PRESS module and the new switch. We built a lifespan/force tester for grid 100. The final design surpasses 1 million actuations. That was quite some effort in design proofing,  but we believe it is absolutely worth it.

2. CYCLE-ENCODER:

The CYCLE-ENCODER module is similar to the Type-10 CYCLE module for grid 650. They share many common designs, including the exact pushable knob design, interchangeable magnetic cap, and standalone encoder signal processor. In fact, the standalone encoder processor concept that we used on the CYCLE and ARRAY + CYCLE module for grid 650 was proven and tested on a CYCLE-ENCODER module prototype on grid 100. That is why we can finally release the image of the test scene.

The main difference between the CYCLE module for grid 650 and CYCLE-ENCODER module for grid 100 are:

The ARGB LED is controlled by QMK and adjustable in VIA or vial.

There are more LEDs on grid 100 since the ring diffuser is slightly larger.

We offer a smooth version (no detent) for the CYCLE-ENCODER on grid 100. It is a little more expensive.

3. CYCLE-JOYSTICK:

We use the same analog joystick unit as the Xbox One Elite Controller, which Alps makes. This pushable joystick comes with tension adjustability, which can be handy if you prefer a heavier feeling. The grid joystick cap is also interchangeable. You can screw it on or off. A PTFE collar locates at the bottom of the stick, preventing the stick from hitting the module case and providing smoother movement.

To match the brightness on the light bar on the Ver.FLASH grid 100, we lift the LED PCB on CYCLE-ENCODER and CYCLE-JOYSTICK by adding a thicker PCB. Which was a little hassle for our vendors on the first try, but we nailed it eventually.

• Unfortunately, due to some software limits, only one CYCLE-JOYSTICK module can be recognized on grid 100. (if you install two, they will crosstalk)

For any analog joystick, drifting is inevitable after some wear. We will continue to provide replacement PCBs as we always do (at least 5 years of product support). Also, the joystick unit should also be available to order in many places like ifixit.
[/b]

Material, finish, and color
Chassis and CYCLE-ENCODE, CYCLE-JOYSTICK cases are made of aluminum.

Light bar on Ver.FLASH chassis and the light ring on CYCLE modules are made of polycarbonate, injection molded.

E-White: Electrophoresis-coated aluminum

Liquid Silver: Hand-polished exterior surface, electroplated aluminum

Black, Forest Green, Silver, Purple, Navy: Bead blasted, anodized aluminum

On the E-White chassis, the Fn button is silver anodized aluminum.

On Liquid Silver chassis, the Fn button is black anodized aluminum.

The rest chassis comes with the same color Fn button.

*Due to the characteristic of the hand polishing and electroplating process, we can't guarantee a 100% perfect surface, but we can assure you our standard is above average.

*Liquid Silver is prone to small scratches, we do include a free protection film for the bottom plate for this variation.

Many thanks for reading this, will come back with more info.

Offline paperassgasket

Re: [IC] grid 100, 10% modular keypad
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 23:17:27 »
seems pretty neat.
I like joysticks and the modular mounting approach.

RGB ring on the encoder and joystick is a nice touch.

Offline Farhandsome

• Han Boards
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 09:23:22 »
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see more about the GB details.

Offline noodleman

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 10:04:12 »
any chance we can get a regular silver chassis so it matches with the silver on the knob/joystick?

Offline gridishere

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 10:32:08 »
any chance we can get a regular silver chassis so it matches with the silver on the knob/joystick?

Thanks for the idea.
Currently no plan for that at the moment, but we can do that if more people are interested.

Offline takumii.

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 11:18:42 »
I am new to geekhack (pls correct me if i asked or said anything that i shouldn't) and this is the first IC im reading but this keypad right here absolutely stunned me. What would be the price range that you guys would be looking at for this keypad? And would it support wireless connectivity?

Offline gridishere

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 12:34:27 »
I am new to geekhack (pls correct me if i asked or said anything that i shouldn't) and this is the first IC im reading but this keypad right here absolutely stunned me. What would be the price range that you guys would be looking at for this keypad? And would it support wireless connectivity?

Price info will be released soon; it will be $100+ and still largely depends on the setup you choose.

Unfortunately, grid 100 is a wired key pad, mostly due to space limitations.

Offline takumii.

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 12:40:47 »

Price info will be released soon; it will be $100+ and still largely depends on the setup you choose.

ahh i see thanks for letting me know,,, is there an estimation on when the gb would be coming up?

Offline gridishere

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 16:22:51 »

ahh i see thanks for letting me know,,, is there an estimation on when the gb would be coming up?

Of course, GB will be coming in about a week or so. We do have some stock units so it will be partly sale and partly GB.

Offline takumii.

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 April 2023, 03:30:47 »

Of course, GB will be coming in about a week or so. We do have some stock units so it will be partly sale and partly GB.

would it be in a form of unlimited or limited gb? if limited, around how many units would yall plan to do? and would it have overseas vendor specifically for the southeast asia region?

Offline Lysol_

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 02:34:44 »
so how will the analog stick/joystick be recognized by Windows? will it be fully recognized as a controller to take advantage of the analog feature of the joystick? just a concern I have.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 12:45:31 »
so how will the analog stick/joystick be recognized by Windows? will it be fully recognized as a controller to take advantage of the analog feature of the joystick? just a concern I have.

On Windows, MAC, Android, or iOS, the joystick can be recognized as a game controller, just only one stick since QMK only support one at the moment.

Thanks.

Offline gridishere

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 April 2023, 13:14:35 »

would it be in a form of unlimited or limited gb? if limited, around how many units would yall plan to do? and would it have overseas vendor specifically for the southeast asia region?

It will be an unlimited GB with some items in stock. Some early stock unit buyers should receive their orders before the GB ends. We will keep working with zFrontier in distributing our products.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 April 2023, 13:09:57 »
Interesting idea, following out of interest.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 April 2023, 12:11:33 »
Looking forward to this!  Definitely a case where I'm going to look for uses of something to justify the purchase because the design and aesthetic are so good!
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb