Author Topic: [IC] Aozora | 青空 A well-priced 65% board with a stunning look [GB GOING LIVE!!]  (Read 48433 times)

Offline Oddstag

Re: [IC] Aozora | 青空 A well-priced 65% board with a stunning look.
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 18:03:14 »
I like this badge a lot! Nice to see something a little different.

Offline SalmonCat

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 26 March 2021, 03:27:16 »
Have you transitioned completely to the new cloud-shaped badge? Will it be possible for those who want a rectangular badge to opt for that instead? I know that the cloud badge is more "unique," but I may actually prefer the more classic rectangular badge shape. It really creates a nice symmetry between the 4 keys above and below it.

Or, better yet, will there be an option for badgeless?

Sadly there most likely won't be such options on round one due to unit limitations. If we were to manufacture several different versions of the top piece it could get expensive very quickly. With higher volumes, this wouldn't be an issue.

For anyone interested, the badge is most likely going to be only available with the cloud. I personally love both badges but it isn't realistic to include both at the moment. Thank you for your understanding.

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 06:10:09 »
Very good decision to go with unique cloud badge. This, and the extra key that makes this project so special among always square badge trend.

I only wish that the shape of the base would be re-considered as well, for something else that plain all around full wall that makes the keyboard difficult to lift. If you ask what I mean specifically look how it's done very well on KY-01 linked below.

Offline SalmonCat

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 01:18:28 »
UPDATE 5/26/21

We apologize for the lack of updates on Geekhack. We are fairly active on Discord but we've left this thread out to dry, and we're now rapidly approaching GB-readiness so an update is needed.

The Aizome color has been tweaked to make production more affordable, but will still be a very similar navy blue.

Pricing has not been finalized, but we have a list of all the options we'll be offering:

The base kit (Keyboard itself and PCB) will come standard with an ANSI plate & PCB, wearing brass hardware. You will be able to chose your color of choice for the body at checkout.

As for extras, there will be several options available:
  • Optional Aluminum Hardware: This includes an aluminum plate and PCB (ISO* and ANSI) if you aren't into the whole brass thing.
  • Polycarbonate Plates (ISO* and ANSI)
  • Carbon Fiber Plates (ISO* and ANSI)
  • Extra Brass Plates (ISO* and ANSI)
  • Extra PCB (ISO* and ANSI)

*ISO plates are universal plates that will fit both ISO and ANSI layouts. ISO PCB's are soldered and support phat enter, split backspace, and stepped capslock. ISO PCBs are also universal (meaning you could use it with ANSI plates).

Finally, we won't be using a third party vendor. The decision was made to lower the cost of the GB as a whole, though we understand it does make shipping more expensive for overseas customers (we are based in California).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a new render with a carbon ISO plate, pictures of the PCB, as well as a few pictures from the manufacturer (the guy put the keyboard together upside down, we know!):

Once we get the new prototypes into our hands we will take better photos.

Thanks for sticking with us!

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 04:27:56 »
UPDATE 5/26/21

Finally, we won't be using a third party vendor. The decision was made to lower the cost of the GB as a whole, though we understand it does make shipping more expensive for overseas customers (we are based in California).

This is a pity.
The prototypes look nice

Offline Pawl

Wait, are you guys based in NorCal? Would there be any option for pickup? Just saw this board today and love this style layout!

Offline NoThankYou

This board looks great!  Can't wait for the GB!

Offline Tiff0

Wait, are you guys based in NorCal? Would there be any option for pickup? Just saw this board today and love this style layout!

Plus 1 for a NorCal pick up party!

Offline SalmonCat

Plus 1 for a NorCal pick up party!

We aren't based in NorCal, unfortunately. There was some joking around about doing a road trip to deliver keyboards a while ago, but we'll be in school by then so it's unrealistic that would happen :(

Offline stoffelduss

didn't read everything but is there an option for split backspace and split right shift? I'd prefer as few stabilized keys as possible :p

Offline SalmonCat

didn't read everything but is there an option for split backspace and split right shift? I'd prefer as few stabilized keys as possible :p

There will not be split RShift but split backspace will be available on the ISO/Universal plate/PCB

Offline phoenixrage

so does the extra key make this a 69% ? lol

Offline SalmonCat

so does the extra key make this a 69% ? lol

Well, it makes it a 69-key, so good enough

Offline SalmonCat

The first type test can be found here.

Offline SalmonCat

Here is our current Imgur album with various images of our prototypes!

https://imgur.com/a/9tQrdTl

Offline MuadDef

Hey there, nice project you have here. Do you already know by when you think you would be able to complete the production and ship the boards?
Thanks

Offline SalmonCat

Hey there, nice project you have here. Do you already know by when you think you would be able to complete the production and ship the boards?
Thanks

Thanks!

We're currently planning on starting shipping 3-4 months after we close the GB. This date is, of course, not certain, especially because of coronavirus.

Offline SalmonCat

The GB will be live on our site: https://salmoncat.studio/

Thanks for all your support!

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 23:51:25 »
I am not a huge fan of the additional key in the arrow cluster.  Other than that, the board looks great, simple design and hopefully the price is around what is expected.  Are there any renders for the side profile?  Looking forward to the protos, good luck.

+1