Author Topic: [IC] GMK Chocolatier - Available For Pre-Order!  (Read 41331 times)

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
[IC] GMK Chocolatier - Available For Pre-Order!
« on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:30:29 »

GMK Chocolatier and RAMA Chocolatier Brass keycaps are available for preorder!

Preorder window will be open from October 5th to November 5th.

Where to buy:

- North America: Novelkeys
  - GMK Chocolatier:
    - Core: $145
    - Novelties: $35
    - Spacebars: $30
  - Rama Golden Ticket/Blue X/Blue O: $56

- Europe: MykeyboardEU (prices including VAT)
  - GMK Chocolatier
    - Core: 141.99€
    - Novelties: 39€
    - Spacebars: 32€
  - Rama Golden Ticket/Blue X/Blue O: TBA€

- China: ZFrontier
  -GMK Chocolatier:
    - Core: ¥1048
    - Novelties: ¥248
    - Spacebars: ¥210
  - Rama Golden Ticket/Blue X/Blue O: ¥392

- Asia (Korea, Japan, SEA...), Australia, and New Zealand: ZFrontier
  - GMK Chocolatier:
    - Core: $165
    - Novelties: $38
    - Spacebars: $32
  - Rama Golden Ticket/Blue X/Blue O: $56
 *Note: ZFrontier has free shipping via DHL Express for orders over $100.

Order Count

Please, head over to https://zambumon.com/chocolatier/ to check the current order numbers

Greetings to you, the lucky finder of this keyset. After more than two years, we finally meet again
(I shake you warmly by the hand). Once again, my factory is open for visitors, so please go ahead and
come to taste the new flavours produced in our German facilities!

Released almost two years ago, SA Chocolatier was the first keycap set that I’ve ever made. Inspired by the
chocolate wrappers of the 2005 motion picture adaptation of Roald Dahl’s masterpiece, Charlie and the
Chocolate Factory, GMK Chocolatier is the second iteration of this set.

Q: Why am I using blue accents?
A: Because my idea for SA Chocolatier was initially to release the set in three flavours

Technical specs

• Original Cherry Corp. profile
  • High quality 1.5mm thick keycaps with doublsehot legends that will never fade.
  • Made in Germany by GMK electronic design GmbH
  • Custom chocolate colors matched to what the SA run should have looked like.

Q: What do you mean with "what the SA run should have looked like?"
A: Chocolatier's alphas (as well as the modifiers) were washed off compared to the plastic samples
I had with me. the difference is quite noticeable with 1976 and some people (including me)
noticed that the spacebar had a stronger color than the rest of the alphas.

Serika dekmat + Chocolatier by Zambumon

Available kits

Core

After some consideration, I've opted for a more conservative approach for the core of this set, although with
some minor eccentricity.

With the goal of encouraging the reusability of these keycaps with other sets, I’ve also included a second
Tab key
. With just that extra key, now people could potentially use Chocolatier’s modifiers at the same time
in, for example, an HHKB and a standard fullsize keyboard.

Novelties

By popular demand, the novelties are back!
A small pack of novelties that adds some more options for your enter and escape keys.

Spacebars

Some people like to have an accent color even on their spacebars.
This kit provides all the spacebars you’d need in GMK Chocolatier’s blue accent color.

Gallery

Zambumon Nemo

Zambumon Verne

Zambumon F96H

Tokyo.keyboard Tokyo60

Percent Canoe

Uniqey C70

Uniqey Q100

Desk Candy Modern M0110

What's going on, what happens now?
This is an interest check for GMK Chocolatier. And although I've figured out the kits and there won't be any
major change or any new kit (aside the consideration of adding Novelties) it's time to gather interest,
get quotes, and color samples.

Two weeks ago, I sent GMK a package to the factory which contained some plastic color samples,
which were inmediatly forwarded to their plastic supplier. Given how well the process went with Serika, I'm
confident that they'll meet my request and we'll get the perfect colors for this set.

I've also been in talks with Novelkeys as I'm interested on having him as the US distributor of not only the
set, but also other extras, such as a deskmat.

The approach for my sets has changed over the years and it has accentuated with Jamón, Chocolatier, and
ISJGEFTWC (also known as Samurai Blue). I want the set to be functional and affordable, I want the stores
to have an easy time packaging and sending the sets, I want the keycaps to have a good QC, and I want
the manufacturer to have an easy time making these sets by not offering an overwhelming number of kits.

Regarding collaborations, don't hesitate to contact me, over Discord, filling up the form, reddit, etc.
There are plenty of ways to do it
For updates, I'd suggest either following my blog, this thread, or my Instagram account (for short ones).

Flairs up!

You can support the project by placing in your forum signature this image, which will link to the project page.

Code: [Select]
[url=https://zambumon.com/chocolatier][img width=480 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/J3nQbui.png[/img][/url]

If you prefer to link to the geekhack thread, then you can use this one instead:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96481.0][img width=480 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/J3nQbui.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Fri, 05 October 2018, 09:34:53 by Zambumon »

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Chocolatier
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:32:32 »
Zamb just won't stop--

but there's no normal ISO enter in the alpha color at all????
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:49:56 by dimo »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [IC] GMK Chocolatier
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:32:55 »
YES
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:37:25 »
Love what you're doing WRT US/Euro kits and Tab key.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:38:17 »
As we've spoke about before, your decision to have 2 base kits is going to be extremely interesting to watch play out.

Very exciting and best of luck!

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:41:43 »
Nice! Hmm any possibility for red accents?

Offline kim-kim

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:48:07 »
If I still can't find SA Chocolatier Ergodox, I'm in
Of course I'll sell my remaining SA Choc that I have

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:49:46 »
I'm no ISO heathen, but I feel like it'd be a better idea to have the ISO enter be brown since I imagine more people would opt for the full chocolate look over the accent.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:52:48 »
Zamb just won’t stop :D

And the only way to get an ISO enter in the accent color is through the 2nd EU base kit?

Yes, the idea is that the people from the EU would get the set from an EU store, and not from an US or a Chinese one. Basically it's just a core kit where buying an ISO kit is mandatory (so like any previous kit). It might or might not work well, but considering the growth of EU stores, this could have a very good outcome.

Nice! Hmm any possibility for red accents?

None. Having the red accents means increasing the size of all of the kits, and that wouldn't be consistent with with my reasoning for how I'm arranging the kits.

Offline dimo

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 11:55:41 »
I'm no ISO heathen, but I feel like it'd be a better idea to have the ISO enter be brown since I imagine more people would opt for the full chocolate look over the accent.

"Bringing more visibility to the European store selling this set, as ISO users will outrage for the lack of those
keycaps for the US version."

So he wants the US users to buy from the European store just to bring visibility to it instead of buying from US stores not selling the ISO support?? what?

Offline avid

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:07:55 »
please no ISO accent color. Cant you just make ISO enter brown?

The blue doesnt fit at all. It was the same thing with nautilus. If you make accent colors, please dont force them as a part of crucial compatability but rather have them as extras..

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 12:11:14 »

"Bringing more visibility to the European store selling this set, as ISO users will outrage for the lack of those

So he wants the US users to buy from the European store just to bring visibility to it instead of buying from US stores not selling the ISO support?? what?

US costumers buy from an US store, EU costumers buy from the EU one. An overwhelming majority of Americans uses ANSI.

Here is what it's actually going on:

All the proxies have the same base kit, without the ISO Keys, because of the lack of these keys (one of those is the ISO one which is pretty big), we get a cheaper base kit. The EU costumers, that don't have to pay import taxes since the set is made and shipped from the EU, get the base kit with the ISO keys bundled. So basically, what really is going on is that they arer purchasing a base kit (which has that shared MOQ) and an ISO kit (which has a separate MOQ). Since the ISO will be produced in a lower volume, the least keycaps we have the better and considering. Based on most pictures of previous sets such as Godspeed, Carbon, or Nautilus, most people tend to use the accent enter, so that's why I opted to preserve the blue one.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:06:51 »
The blue just seems too jarring a contrast. 
I think gold from the willy wonka novelty looked best for accents but white/offwhite (carob?) would go well too thematically

Offline brooklynlou

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:12:06 »
+1 to gold. The blue just looks too dark with all that brown. Gold or Beige is the way to go ...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:28:31 »
I wouldn't use the blue accents myself either.  I'd recommend "white chocolate" cream accents with brown legends.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 13:39:42 »
Not all about the blue accents either.  Is it possible to have 2 x 2U in 40s kit?

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:01:18 »

US costumers buy from an US store, EU costumers buy from the EU one. An overwhelming majority of Americans uses ANSI.

Here is what it's actually going on:

All the proxies have the same base kit, without the ISO Keys, because of the lack of these keys (one of those is the ISO one which is pretty big), we get a cheaper base kit. The EU costumers, that don't have to pay import taxes since the set is made and shipped from the EU, get the base kit with the ISO keys bundled. So basically, what really is going on is that they arer purchasing a base kit (which has that shared MOQ) and an ISO kit (which has a separate MOQ). Since the ISO will be produced in a lower volume, the least keycaps we have the better and considering. Based on most pictures of previous sets such as Godspeed, Carbon, or Nautilus, most people tend to use the accent enter, so that's why I opted to preserve the blue one.

I feel like that's generally the case when the accent has prominence elsewhere in the set by default so they truly do serve to accent a color, though I guess Godspeed would be an exception.  I am not trying to   threadcrap but to me the blue here is like the red/blue in Granite, i.e. a stark contrast that I think many wouldn't use.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:03:29 »
Not all about the blue accents either.  Is it possible to have 2 x 2U in 40s kit?
The 40s kit will probably have some changes, I accidentally set off the visibility of a 1.75U R4 key, and I might add some keycaps to support the Atreus, Preonic, SUbatomic... A second 2U might be possible, as it would help with a keyboard such as the Ergo travel.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:07:00 »
I wouldn't use the blue accents myself either.  I'd recommend "white chocolate" cream accents with brown legends.

On that note, a muted mauve kind of color with brown legends could stand in for strawberry filling or berry chocolate color.  There's such thing as pink chocolate now:

(source: https://www.eater.com/2017/9/5/16256992/ruby-chocolate-callebaut-millennial-pink)
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:09:14 by Photoelectric »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 14:38:57 »
Didn't think I'd be a fan of this, turns out I was wrong.

Really like the blue accents too. I never use accents, but I'd probably use this.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:20:01 »
Off topic but is the Zambumon F96H  keyboard real or photoshopped? Very nice i would buy.

Offline lendflat

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:26:47 »
How about F1-F4 & F9-F12 addon to match F5-F8 color? Me the only one that hate the alternating Fn colors?

Offline AndyTC

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:41:07 »
Nvm.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 15:52:49 by AndyTC »

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:04:51 »
The blue accent is a bit too jarring for me as well. With the browns being nice warms colors and blue being a cool color, it just stands out like a sore thumb. It may look better if you consider the lighter blue from the chocolate wrappers that you linked (if you insist on using blue), but on the other hand, consideration towards a warm reddish and/or orangish color (also seen in the chocolate wrappers you linked) may work even better.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:23:09 »
I would love to see some novelties come to life. I’m a sucker for them for all sets. :)

Offline kwerdenker

• thinkkwer.eu
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:32:49 »
Since you're doing a EU/NA split anyways, how big are the chance of a NorDe/International kit for this? I really, really would love a chance to own this set but I can't give up my ISO-DE.

Oh and I also want to add my vote for an alpha colored enter key in both core sets

Offline dimo

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 16:40:25 »
The blue accent is a bit too jarring for me as well. With the browns being nice warms colors and blue being a cool color, it just stands out like a sore thumb. It may look better if you consider the lighter blue from the chocolate wrappers that you linked (if you insist on using blue), but on the other hand, consideration towards a warm reddish and/or orangish color (also seen in the chocolate wrappers you linked) may work even better.

IMO the browns in this set are a lot cooler than the pictures of SA Chocolatier in reality. I don't like the blue either (and would love a normal ISO enter..) but the coolness between the colors work for what he wants-- although it's not what I want.

Offline moecoffee059

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 17:18:21 »
Blue is the best hehehe

Offline PaultheSloth

• JW Double Black
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 18:56:16 »
Definitely keen on this!
Polaris|Leaf60|QXP|DC60|Planck|SKB60|Tokyo60|UT-47|AnnePro

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 19:18:19 »
Off topic but is the Zambumon F96H  keyboard real or photoshopped? Very nice i would buy.

Real model, I'll probably work on it in 2019, but might do some prototype in Q4 2018.

How about F1-F4 & F9-F12 addon to match F5-F8 color? Me the only one that hate the alternating Fn colors?

That's kit that isn't usually made with GMK sets as it doesn't provide any extra coverage. As I've stated in the OP, I don't have any plans to add more kits (with the exception of the novelties, which I'm currently considering).

Since you're doing a EU/NA split anyways, how big are the chance of a NorDe/International kit for this? I really, really would love a chance to own this set but I can't give up my ISO-DE.

Oh and I also want to add my vote for an alpha colored enter key in both core sets

Extremely small/none. International kits have performed poorly regardless of the profile. We are making enough experiments with the base kit and having a kit like NORDE is never easy.

It seems like there's an majority of people that would like the novelties to come back, so I'll study what will be the best way to incorporate them. Don't expect a massive kit, it will probably be a small one with one or two new molds, as well as some yellow accent keys. That way everybody should be happy witht being able to make the OG color scheme.

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 19:35:48 »
The blue accents are not good.
keyboards

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Chocolatier
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:02:51 »
Why are you using previous public opinion on previous keyset colors? Peoples opinions change... just because 80% of people used the yellow key on nautilus doesn’t mean 80% of the people using Chocolatier will use the blue accent color, and therefore making you cut the normal modifier colored ISO enter our of the kit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:09:38 by dimo »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:07:16 »
Would personally prefer a green or white accent, but overall a good set.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Cloudnine25

• Chilling
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:12:32 »
The blue just seems too jarring a contrast. 
I think gold from the willy wonka novelty looked best for accents but white/offwhite (carob?) would go well too thematically

+1
IMHO,the gold or white(beige) is going well with the brown alphas and mods!
Please consider:)

Offline kehlad

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:13:53 »
Will definitely buy a set whenever it goes on sale. Though I have to agree with the other posters. The blue does not look that great with the rest of of the caps.
Whitefox w/ Hako Trues | Anne Pro w/ Gateron Browns | GK64 w/ Zelios 65g | DZ60 5 Degree case w/ Box Royal | Drop CTRL w/ Zelios 65g v2 | Drop x OLKB Preonic w/ Zilents 65g v2 | Drop ALT w/ Sakurios | Tofu 65 w/ Creams

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 20:14:14 »
The 40s kit will probably have some changes, I accidentally set off the visibility of a 1.75U R4 key, and I might add some keycaps to support the Atreus, Preonic, SUbatomic... A second 2U might be possible, as it would help with a keyboard such as the Ergo travel.

That would be awesome!  Thanks for considering it in any case.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 05 July 2018, 22:16:28 »
Would personally prefer a green or white accent, but overall a good set.

green or yellow, my  ;D
BTW, 250 MOQ for custom color in GMK GB is pretty difficult to reach except for Mass drop. do you have a plan B?

Offline gnunin

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 00:20:15 »
The blue accent is so nice. I'll grab at least 1 kit for sure. As always Zambumon, great work.

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 00:37:47 »
Sweet patience.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 10:38:57 »
So after gathering some initial feedback, here is what I'll probably do:

• Core:
    • EU: brown ISO enter
    • In general: the only reason why I've kept the mod-color pipe and tilde is so you can use them with the rest of the mods. However, while doing the IC for the Japanese Soccer themed set Samurai Blue, I've realized that these are actually redundant and people could just use the alphas from other sets, as it is supossed to be. Redundancy should be avoided when possible, and I could swap those keys for others that add some extra coverage.
  • 40s
    • The kit needs some updates to accomodate an amalgam of users. Firstly, the kit not only provides the keycaps to cover 40 percent keyboards, but also many ortholinear boards.
    • Additions: 1x 1.75 R4 blank, 1x 1.25 R4 blank, R4 1.25U Shift, R3 1U Enter, 2x 2.00U Vertical R2-3 blanks. These keycaps should be enough to provide coverage for Preonic, Atreus, Iris, Dactyl...
  • Novelties: it will be small, but it will allow people to get the vibes from the R1, at least to some extent:
    • R4 1.00U, 1.25U, 1.5U novelty W
    • Yellow, and red Enter & Esc. I'll use N6 and P3 for those, as those are close enough to waht I'm looking for.
    • Blue arrows
  • Spacebars: remove blue arrows. I'll consider adding some small spacebars there.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 11:09:39 »
nice update! :thumb:

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 16:50:41 »
If novelties would cover a red/off-white/gold enter and esc key i wouldn't the blue that's included. Otherwise blue just makes it a but too dark for me. Id rather go full chocolate

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 18:05:53 »
If novelties would cover a red/off-white/gold enter and esc key i wouldn't the blue that's included. Otherwise blue just makes it a but too dark for me. Id rather go full chocolate

No, just gold and I opted for red too as it was one of the wrapper colors too. The blue will stay on the base kit.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 20:50:24 »
By popular demand, these are coming back  :D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 21:21:48 »

Show Image

Show Image

good ****
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 22:35:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

Sweet!

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 22:44:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

Awesome! They are such signature for Chocolatier.

Offline mousetrap00

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 07:01:42 »
I was going for gmk oasis being that it's the closest thing to a gmk chocolatier. So im really happy this showed up. Cant wait for the gb of this and jamon. Im gonna get both!!!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 08:57:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Looks good. I might even use a yellow esc and blue enter.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 10:33:45 »
Small kit update, which covers some of the points I posted yesterday. 40s kit update will be done after I add some new renders with the novelties :D