Author Topic: Need help picking out mouse  (Read 6958 times)

Offline mdmcaf

• If this isn't nice, what is?
Need help picking out mouse
« on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 11:01:13 »
So my dad is in the market for a new mouse for Christmas - his current mouse is a Logitech MX400 (the version that came out before the MX500 - all it lacks is the "near frictionless" scroll wheel) and it suits him just fine, the only reason he wants to replace it is because the left mouse button doesn't always register a click.

His perfect mouse would have a thumb button on the thumb rest itself - he doesn't want to have to move his thumb up to get to the thumb button (yes, I guess he really is that lazy). But I haven't been able to find any, save for a monstrous gaming mouse that has like 12 thumb buttons.

He recently told me he'd like to try out a wireless mouse and so I went looking at Logitech's website and found the Performance Mouse MX and the MX Master Wireless Mouse - but I can't for the life of me figure out the difference. The MX Master says the battery lasts about 40 days on a charge (with 6 hours of usage a day - much more than he'd be using this mouse) while the Performance Mouse MX doesn't list how long it'd last on a charge. They both seem to support the Logitech Unifying receiver. The only other difference I can see is that the Performance Mouse MX has a three year warranty whereas the MX Master only has a one year warranty.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these mice (or preferably both) to give me some insight into them? I'm leaning toward the Performance Mouse MX as it has a three year warranty and my dad is pretty fond of warranties.

Things like the darkfield laser and the ability to use it on any surface don't mean very much to him - he's going to use a mouse pad either way. He cares mostly about how comfortable it is and that it be reliable.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Need help picking out mouse
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 11:31:34 »
For the record, Roccat Tyon has such a thumb button, sort of.

Offline mdmcaf

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 17:04:45 »
Hmm. I don't quite think that would meet his requirements. Thanks though  :D

Offline Flossed

• Hai
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:24:18 »
The MX Master mouse can pair up to 3 different devices at the same time and you can easily switch between them with a button on the bottom of the mouse. The Performance mouse has a AA battery that you can replace unlike the Master where you can't access the battery. The MX Master also has Bluetooth, not just a USB dongle. The MX Master's thumb rest is actually a button that you can reprogram with Logitech software. All in all, the MX Master is basically an upgrade to the MX Performance.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:29:52 by Flossed »

Offline mdmcaf

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 11:24:23 »
Awesome! Thank ya, friend.

I think I'm going to go with the MX Performance - I don't think my dad would want something you can't replace the batteries on.

Offline Flossed

• Hai
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 13:58:39 »
It's also half the price of the Master  :thumb:

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 17:58:55 »
How about Mionix Avior 7000? Comfortable to hold, great quality, two thumb buttons.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline mdmcaf

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 19:38:51 »
Bummer. Too bad it's past Christmas, and I've already given him a new mouse, this might have been a really decent mouse for him. The thumb buttons wouldn't have met his criteria, but I don't think anyone makes a mouse that fits his criteria. He wanted a mouse where he wouldn't have to move his thumb in order to click it, much like the old style Logitech/Microsoft mice from the early 2000s.

I don't think they make them like that anymore because too many people were accidentally clicking the button and for some inexplicable reason he's too lazy to move his finger a few millimeters upwards to click a button (maybe he's got some arthritis he's not telling anyone about?).

I ended up getting him a Logitech M500, just like his old one as he's old and cranky and doesn't like change and  because he ended up telling me he didn't much care for the idea of his mouse giving out on him in the middle of doing something important.

Oh well, I managed to get him a mechanical keyboard for Father's Day a couple years ago and he really likes it, so I'll consider that a victory enough. It was hard enough to get him convinced that me spending $170 on a keyboard was a good idea, thankfully he's fully convinced on the value of a good mechanical keyboard.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 February 2016, 20:56:36 »
You can buy an omron switch.. and solder it into the left mouse button..   since he's not a g4m3r.. i don't see the point of buying a new mouse..

Whatever you do, do not waste money on the performance mx or mx master..  they're for n00bs, and track horribly..

you want the G602 for wireless, it's the only wireless mouse that comes close to the wired experience.

Offline studentben

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 16:47:13 »
I would go with the MX Master since I have one myself. It's an amazing mouse and there have been lots of good reviews about it.

Just search up the MX Master on Youtube, and there should be a whole bunch of reviews by the techies of Youtube.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 February 2016, 00:44:12 »
I would go with the MX Master since I have one myself. It's an amazing mouse and there have been lots of good reviews about it.

Just search up the MX Master on Youtube, and there should be a whole bunch of reviews by the techies of Youtube.

these are not going to track well at fast speeds though..