Author Topic: Mouse shell too slippery, ideas to improve it?  (Read 16166 times)

Offline pedofmeister

Mouse shell too slippery, ideas to improve it?
« on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 03:31:33 »
I bought a CM Storm Alcor since it was really cheap, but having used a rubberized mouse before, I now have serious problem gripping this mouse, it has a very soft/smooth plastic matte finish that slips out of my hands because I have very dry skin.
I cannot focus properly when gaming cuz I constantly need to re-adjust my palm grip when the mouse starts to slip out of my hands, it is really slippery on the back where my palm touches the shell.

I tried taping with bumpy duct tape, but I found it very distracting. Now I am thinking of doing something nasty like rubbing it with some sort of sticky syrup or caramel that would last a few months, or "damaging" the shell by rubbing it with sandpaper.
Anyone have better ideas?

Offline Dernubenfrieken

Re: Mouse shell too slippery, ideas to improve it?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 09:22:57 »
Take the shell off, spray with clear plasti dip spray.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 10:19:00 »
I asked about the same problem. Electrical tape worked for me for a while, but here are the replies I got...

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74641.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 November 2015, 10:35:23 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 10:21:40 »
Textured spray paint from Home Depot / Lowes.

I use it on my dad's gun stocks and for my original QFR.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline pedofmeister

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 19:08:27 »
Well thanks for the tips, the plasti dip spray paint worked nice, I had it for a long time but it didnt occur to me to use it, I only painted the parts where my skin touches the shell and it also helped covering the ultra annoying LED. (I couldn't even leave my PC turned on at night cuz the mouse LED had stronger light than the monitor itself), it doesent feel as nice and comfortable but improves grip.

It seems this problem only happens at home on cold weather when I wash my hands too much. I used it in college, the rooms are always too warm with AC on and I have no problem gripping it because my hands get slightly sweaty.

Offline BigDov

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 16:14:26 »
Well thanks for the tips, the plasti dip spray paint worked nice, I had it for a long time but it didnt occur to me to use it, I only painted the parts where my skin touches the shell and it also helped covering the ultra annoying LED. (I couldn't even leave my PC turned on at night cuz the mouse LED had stronger light than the monitor itself), it doesent feel as nice and comfortable but improves grip.

It seems this problem only happens at home on cold weather when I wash my hands too much. I used it in college, the rooms are always too warm with AC on and I have no problem gripping it because my hands get slightly sweaty.

This old beauty came with the sides textured in some kind of 'grippy' plastic, I loved it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

have had one since they came out and just recently replaced with an MX Master which definitely has a non-slippery shell and texture over the entire mouse. Certainly not as cheap of a solution as the Plasti-Dip was, though  :)
ergodox w/ MX Blues & Granite R4 + grifiti wrist rests || CM Storm QFR w/ Reds & black PBT laser-etched caps