geekhack Projects > DIY Discussions ARCHIVE

black alps vs gray strongman: mix 'n match fest

<< < (2/4) > >>

Chloe:
I need to try these black ALPS. I also want to try the simplified greys if they are lighter than white ALPS. I wonder if you could make a lighter clicky black ALPS using the click leaf from white ALPS.

bigpook:

--- Quote from: Chloe;15905 ---I need to try these black ALPS. I also want to try the simplified greys if they are lighter than white ALPS. I wonder if you could make a lighter clicky black ALPS using the click leaf from white ALPS.
--- End quote ---

I wasn't able to do that, the click leaf goes with the switch body. The switch body is slotted to the click leaf.

itlnstln:
That should work, too.  Just swap out the entire top of the switch.  They should be the same size and form factor, right?

bigpook:

--- Quote from: itlnstln;15931 ---That should work, too.  Just swap out the entire top of the switch.  They should be the same size and form factor, right?
--- End quote ---

Right but that will only work if the switch is the same on both models. Thats the problem I ran into with the Filco mini and the Dell.

wellington1869:
In my case, my mk96 "white alps" would  fit into my gray strongmans but not into my black alps. Again because of the different click leaf combined with different bottom "switch". The housing is different to accomodate that bottom switch, so have to swap the housing. (This is the "double slot" problem, the double slot to accomodate the bottom switch VERSUS the single slot to accomodate the other style of bottom switch). BUT when you swap the top part housing like that, then you commit to ITS click leaf slot. And those are different too (narrow click leaf versus broad click leaf) and wont fit into each others slots in the top part housing.

perhaps we could say this: click leaf swapping is only possible so long as both bottom switches (on the swap candidates) are a similar style.. Because that is what determines whether the top part (which houses the click leaf) is going to fit over the bottom part.

(is that right? I think thats about right).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version