Author Topic: How I Learned to Love the IBM Model M Keyboard... Again!  (Read 6714 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
How I Learned to Love the IBM Model M Keyboard... Again!
« on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:14:51 »
How I Learned to Love the IBM Model M Keyboard... Again!

or,

Why Bolt Modding is a Valuable Service

- I -

My first experience with the IBM Model M keyboard was in high school. The year was 1989, and I was a sophomore, taking a Computer Science class which was mostly populated with seniors looking to get their "computer" credit so they could graduate. We were learning how to create simplistic programs using Turbo Pascal. The PCs we were using were brand new IBM PS/2 models, complete with the Model M keyboard. Before this, the only computer I had been exposed to in school was the Commodore 64 used in my 7th grade Computer Literacy class. Side note: that class was taught by a football coach, who knew very little about computers. I ended up "teaching" most of my peers what they learned that year, as I had a Sanyo XT-clone luggable at home, and had used my trusty TI-99/4A to learn how to write simple BASIC code a few years before. What I remember most about my high school Computer Science class, besides the cheerleader who sat next to me and "let" me do her work for her, was that awesome keyboard. It had removable keycap tops, and we used to prank the hunt-and-peck typists by swapping the 'A' and 'S' keycaps.

- II -

This has nothing to do with the Model M.

When I went to college in 1992, there were a couple guys (twin brothers) who lived down the hall from me in the dorms. One of them had a Focus 9001 keyboard with clicky white Alps switches, and a calculator with LCD display in the tenkey area. I didn't know at the time what Alps switches were, I just knew I liked them. They had a friend who would come over from time to time, and he typed so fast on that keyboard, I was just in awe. We nicknamed him "Types With Keyboard," since the movie Dances with Wolves had recently come out, and was a popular culture reference at the time.

- III -

The next time I used a Model M keyboard was in 2001 or so. I was in the Air Force, and stationed at Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii. Rough assignment, I know. I had bought a new Dell computer, and had it in my dorm room there, but I was dissatisfied with the way the keyboard felt. I soon found myself doing searches on eBay for that nice, clicky keyboard I had once used in high school. I learned that they were called Model M's, and, not long after, there were two of them en route to me. One was a NOS 42H1292, with the permanently attached PS/2 cable. The other was a Greenock, born on Halloween, 31-OCT-1996. It wasn't new, but was in like-new condition. I used those keyboards daily while I was stationed in Hawaii. When I transferred to my next duty station, they got packed away, and were little used after that.

- IV -

March 2012. I break out the Model M again. Find a little forum called Geekhack, and its sister site, the then-young Deskthority. I ordered a Filco from Amazon, and began a tryst with Cherry MX based keyboards. I have continued to use my Model M's on and off, but they just didn't excite me the way other shiny new stuff was doing. I bought an SSK, and while I liked the tenkeyless form factor, it still didn't seem perfect for me. I tested the waters with Model F's, and found that perfection of actuation that I had been missing. Unfortunately, the layout of Model F's leaves something to be desired. The XT requires a converter to work, and the layout is, well, inconvenient, to put it nicely. The AT has that bigass Enter, function keys on the left, and no cursor arrow/nav block. Finding an F-122 has been a challenge, fraught with frustration for me, so far. But even that will require some modification to get closer to a standard ANSI layout. When IBM designed the layout of the Model M, they really reached perfection with it. A 101-key Model M really is the perfect form factor, from my perspective. Now how to get that lighter click of the Model F, in a perfect layout like the Model M?

- V -

Enter bolt modding. I purchased a bolt modded 1390120 from prdlm2009. I don't know if it's all due to the bolt mod, or if the thicker steel backplate of the silver badge 1390120 has something to do with how it feels (probably), but typing on this Model M is simply a dream come true. No more slight inconsistencies at actuation. No more heavy click. Just a light, wonderful feeling that lets you forget the keyboard is even there. I don't play games on my PC, so 2KRO is not an issue for me. This is what Topre was supposed to be, right? Keyboard nirvana. I have a couple more Model M's with the thicker steel backplate in the wings being or about to be bolt modded. The only negative about the 1390120 is the lack of indicator LEDs. But that's why they made the 1390131. I have a feeling these are going to be in main rotation on my desk for quite some time.

- VI -

Now, I'm not saying I'm giving up on MX completely. Far from it. I still use a Rosewill daily at work, since, with its MX Reds, it's much quieter than a buckling spring. I still love Alps. Topre is good too, and really just about as silent as you would want in a keyboard. The great thing about MX and Alps switches, especially for people like me who like to play around with new designs, is that they are a discrete switch. This allows for easy mounting in plates and on PCBs, for when you want to change the design drastically. See ErgoDox, GH60, SmallFry keyboard, GHPad, etc. None of those would be possible without discrete switches.

- VII -

So, what's the point? Have your Model M bolt modded, or do it yourself. Even if the rivets are still intact, or mostly so. Pay more for this added value. Clean it up and put it back on your desk. If you don't have a Model M, get one -- there are plenty out there for the taking. Learn to love the Model M again, as I have. Enjoy your feeling of oneness with your input device! Happy keyboarding!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:47:32 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How I Learned to Love the IBM Model M Keyboard... Again!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:20:18 »
Was expecting more photos :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:22:29 »

Was expecting more photos :(

Will add later, when I take some. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:26:00 »
I'm pretty much in the same place as you and have a similar relationship with the M (if not off by a few years.) I'm happy with my SSK that is completely original, but have thought about a bolt and floss mod. Mainly out of curiosity. Is yours floss modded too?
SSKs for everyone!

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:26:56 »
I should really get my ass up and finally bolt mod one of my ssks.

nice read!

thanks

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:27:10 »
Never typed on a model M and never wanted one, until now...
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:27:50 »
I definitely agree with the bolt modding making a huge difference in how your M will feel. I feel like even if there's a few rivets missing, it makes the whole board feel different.

Typing on my SSK post-bolt mod was (when it was my first time post mod) and still is an incredible experience. For a little while I neglected all my other keyboards to type on it.

My first experience with the IBM Model M keyboard was in high school. The year was 1989, and I was a sophomore, taking a Computer Science class which was mostly populated with seniors looking to get their "computer" credit so they could graduate.

Also TIL I learned how old JD really is! Grandpa JD over here :P

Jdcarpe's love for keyboards spans or is greater than some GHers lifetimes. That's ridiculous and awesome :eek:

Offline osi

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:34:00 »
Now I need to get one just for the feels.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:34:44 »
Interesting read. I'll have to try out a Model M one day...

I really wish I could find the old Chinese PinYin keyboard my dad used to use. It was loud, pinged like crazy (especially the spacebar) and had a layout similar to a 75%, but had an awkward arrow cluster in a reverse "L" shape. It had the same colour tones of a model M though..
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:36:26 »
Hey jdcarpe, time for a Model M tour? Bolt mod edition?

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:46:18 »
Great read! Thanks for posting.

I remember getting my first M knowing it didn't work. I also remember how pissed I was when I first read up on bolt modding and the effort involved. I reluctantly and angrily went forward with the process. One of the really more satisfying things I've done in recent years.

My first experience and memories of clicky boards was playing things like math blaster and Oregon trail in elementary school. I missed out on computers up until early 90s. Whenever using keyboards I always recalled that click in the back of my head and longed for it.

Fast forward many years and a good bit research I find my M, this forum via bolt mod, and everything that comes with it.

I've completed two mods. My full M and my SSK. So rewarding to bring these things back from their graves and let them shine on and click again.

If the chance arrives. Bolt mod an M. Having one is great but modding it adds that, "there are many like it but this one is mine!"
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 15:48:30 »
A bolt modded ssk is the only IBM I've ever wanted, now even moreso..

Nice read  :thumb:
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:11:15 »
I also remember how pissed I was when I first read up on bolt modding and the effort involved. I reluctantly and angrily went forward with the process.

The part that doesn't scare anybody. Other parts are pretty fussy.

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:13:44 by fohat.digs »
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:31:05 »
I also remember how pissed I was when I first read up on bolt modding and the effort involved. I reluctantly and angrily went forward with the process.

The part that doesn't scare anybody. Other parts are pretty fussy.

I've been lucky in mine being working. Basically, disassemble, clean, reassemble. No issues with damaged membranes or non working controllers.
Pretty easy for me to advocate jumping in, but I still encourage it.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:36:31 »
No issues with damaged membranes or non working controllers.

I have never done it, but as I understand it, you can send any Model M to Unicomp, and for $30 they will drop in a new set of internals.

Somebody fill in the details, but it always sounded like a sweet deal to me.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:37:23 »
I have also found replacing the blanket with a thin one from unicomp changes things nicely for the better.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 16:43:06 »

I have never done it, but as I understand it, you can send any Model M to Unicomp, and for $30 they will drop in a new set of internals.

That is super sweet. I may try that next time for the sake of curiosity, and laziness perhaps.

I have also found replacing the blanket with a thin one from unicomp changes things nicely for the better.

Where are these blankets found. I ended making my own. Serious pain in the ass.
Keyboards
More

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:06:36 »

They have four classes of service, varying from $30 to $90.

I do not know what each level covers, but I'm sure anyone interested can email their support who are always helpful.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 17:13:23 »

Where are these blankets found. I ended making my own. Serious pain in the ass.

Unicomp will sell you a new "blanket" as they call them (don't say "membrane" that is a rubber dome sheet in Unicomp parlance) for $10.

It is thin white latex instead of the thick black rubber originals.

I have cut new mats for the Model Fs, and thicker is better, up to a point, but never for an M.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:34:26 »
Thanks for the plug.  There was a huge difference between that 12390120 before and after the bolt mod.  Worlds apart.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 18:44:22 »
There was a huge difference between that 12390120 before and after the bolt mod.

Even if most, or all, of the plastic rivets are intact, they are still plastic.

Having steel bolts that can be tightened ("tuned") gives you the option of making various and subtle adjustments. The original plastic puts very little pressure on the plates, and obviously has some "give" to it.

Personally, I hold the 4mm socket in my fingers and only tighten the nuts to snug/finger tight at the most. I don't like the feel when you crank them down harder, and you can easily go too far so that you lose some keys altogether.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 05:34:34 »
There was a huge difference between that 12390120 before and after the bolt mod.

Having steel bolts that can be tightened ("tuned") gives you the option of making various and subtle adjustments. The original plastic puts very little pressure on the plates, and obviously has some "give" to it.

Personally, I hold the 4mm socket in my fingers and only tighten the nuts to snug/finger tight at the most. I don't like the feel when you crank them down harder, and you can easily go too far so that you lose some keys altogether.

I overtightened a few of the screws at first and you good feel the difference in those keys. Very interesting how you can "tune" the feel.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 05:36:44 »

What tape do you use to cover the label and how did you manage to paint under the edges? I found it impossible to remove the "birth certificate".

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:03:25 »

What tape do you use to cover the label and how did you manage to paint under the edges?

Masking tape, and to avoid pulling up the label, I cut a piece of plastic to exactly the same size as the label, put masking tape around it, and cut the masking tape just a bit larger than the label. I don't know what edges you are referring to. I only painted the back (bottom) side of the plate.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:19:27 »

What tape do you use to cover the label and how did you manage to paint under the edges? I found it impossible to remove the "birth certificate".

Fohat.digs has a nice guide that I think has that covered. If not, phosphorglow has a great video.