Author Topic: Austin Area Keyboard Meetup - March 11th, Techshop, 3-7pm  (Read 5284 times)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Austin Area Keyboard Meetup - March 11th, Techshop, 3-7pm
« on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 10:34:44 »
Suembeaux, XMIT, and the Texas Mechanical Keyboard Community Facebook Group are proud to present...

Austin Meetup Part 2

Hello again enthusiasts! We are back to announce something we're pretty sure everyone already knew was going to happen, Austin MK meetup 2017! DT legend and Austin local XMIT has corresponded with a makerspace here in the Austin area to provide us with an incredible venue that focuses on the next level of this hobby by promoting DIY skills in many communities and encouraging creators to explore their ideas. Check back on this post occasionally for any updates including community donations!

RSVP HERE: http://whoozin.com/QNJ-6KY-4FYP (Not mandatory - there is no attendance cap - but it is helpful for planning.)

Here are the nitty gritty details:

Where:
TechShop Round Rock
La Frontera Village, 120 Sundance Pkwy #350, Round Rock, TX 78681
http://www.techshop.ws/

When:
Saturday March 11th from 3 pm-7 pm (not including loose after party plans, lots of bars and food hots pots just down the road). We understand this is a bit short notice compared to the last event, but we hope 3 weeks is long enough for people to plan accordingly.

Parking: Will not be an issue, this location is easy to find, and there is a ton of parking available.

Attendee cap: None! We will have plenty of space to accommodate as many people as possible. If you are willing to come out to our event, we will be happy to have you.

Cost: None! Once again, if you are willing to come out, we are happy to have you.

Buying, Selling, and Trading: Completely open! Bring anything keyboard related you’d like to sell! Have Paypal or cash ready if you’re looking to pick up some new goodies! XMIT will be set up with a Paypal credit card reader and can forward funds if necessary.

Food and Drink: BYOB is in full effect, we will be providing food and drink (undecided, taking suggestions).

What should I bring?: Any alcohol you would like (let's keep things reasonable), as many boards you would like to show off/sell, and cash to buy anything you may be interested in at the event!

Reasons to come:
Creator tool demo's
TechShop makerspace tours
Professional product photo booth
Open buying, selling, and trading
Austin meetup Commemorative keycaps
Typing competition with prizes

Raffle prizes
Raffle Prizes: [Will be filled in as we confirm prizes from artisans and vendors.]

This will be an open event to community members, enthusiasts, and non-enthusiasts alike. Established community members will have the chance to meet face to face other enthusiasts, and non-community members will have the opportunity to learn about our niche hobby. Depending on how this meetup goes, there is a possibility Austin will host Keycon 2017 as well. Austin is one of the three city options for Keycon this year. Let's make this event great, and encourage enthusiasts from around the country to explore our state!

If you need any more info feel free to reach out to us here on GH (Suembeaux and XMIT).

More links:
XMIT Keyboard Poll! Check out XMIT's collection, and vote here for boards that you'd like to see! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J087ZyNYqmRMFC2E7cw9z65cszhxQXHRkpEv6VZxAYM/

Photos from last time: https://goo.gl/photos/n77A6eW1c7AEUjd97
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 March 2017, 14:51:23 by XMIT »

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Re: Austin Area Keyboard Meetup - March 11th, Techshop, 3-7pm
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 10:53:21 »
I have a vintage keyboard hookup in Kerrville and sometimes in Dallas. Would anyone be up for a road trip to one of these places either Friday 3/10 or Sunday 3/12, just before or after the next meetup? I have a car that seats 8 and can take a bunch of people down to save on gas. About half of my collection came from the Kerrville hookup so it's well worth your time!

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 13:13:59 »
Right now we're working on printing up some custom key caps for this meetup. :thumb:

Anyone here think they'll be able to make it down?

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:03:00 »
Looks like Keycon will probably be in Philadelphia this year, so if you can't make it to PA come down for this instead!

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:49:38 »
I'm going to try to make it. I'd love to see your stash and it sounds like your Tech Shop will be a great bonus. It just depends on whether I can wrap up a job I'm on by then and good weather since I'd be driving; a quick 21 hrs from OC.

I'm also a big fan of Rudy's. Yes, Its fame has reached as far as California!

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 20:57:17 »
Sounds great! I'll see if anyone is willing to host someone from out of town, you know, geekbnb style. :thumb:

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 21:44:47 »
I have ulterior motives because my daughter lives just down the road in Leander. They have a guest house at their spread and could probably put up a dozen geeks or so.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 21:52:59 »
That would be neat. Maybe send me a PM if you have any specifics? I'm going to work to connect guests and hosts.

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 11:58:05 »
I have ulterior motives because my daughter lives just down the road in Leander. They have a guest house at their spread and could probably put up a dozen geeks or so.

I would just go and hang out for a few hours for funsies lol
A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline Tally810

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:02:38 »
Gonna make the drive from houston and have an escalade SUT that seats 5 if anyone needs a ride.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:12:49 »

I would just go and hang out for a few hours for funsies lol

kurplop told me he can't make it :(

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:14:18 »
Gonna make the drive from houston and have an escalade SUT that seats 5 if anyone needs a ride.

Are you going to stick around for Sunday? We're visiting Electronics Plus in Kerrville on Sunday morning. I'll talk about this more at the event but it's a 2 hour drive from the venue, and in the wrong way for Houston, though you could take I-10 all the way home and it only really adds an hour to your trip home. Electronics Plus is my source for all of my vintage keyboard goods.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:15:59 »

Are you going to stick around for Sunday? We're visiting Electronics Plus in Kerrville on Sunday morning. I'll talk about this more at the event but it's a 2 hour drive from the venue, and in the wrong way for Houston, though you could take I-10 all the way home and it only really adds an hour to your trip home. Electronics Plus is my source for all of my vintage keyboard goods.
I did see the offer on reddit and would love to go.  Let me Google map the difference real quick.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Tally810

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:18:52 »

Looks like an extra hour like you said which is no big deal and if you weren't going too late maybe I could just follow ya there then shoot home right after.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:27:31 »

Looks like an extra hour like you said which is no big deal and if you weren't going too late maybe I could just follow ya there then shoot home right after.

We'll probably meet around 9am and hit the road around 10 for about a noon arrival unless people are willing to go earlier. To get an idea of what things you might find there check out https://www.elecshopper.com/.

Again, I'll advertise this at the event but I want to give people a heads up here. I said earlier the field trip could be on Friday. It's on Sunday.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 14:30:04 »

We'll probably meet around 9am and hit the road around 10 for about a noon arrival unless people are willing to go earlier. To get an idea of what things you might find there check out https://www.elecshopper.com/.

Again, I'll advertise this at the event but I want to give people a heads up here. I said earlier the field trip could be on Friday. It's on Sunday.
That would be plenty early enough for me to go.  I'm definitely in and would love to grab a BS board

Offline Tally810

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 11:47:11 »
Just reserved my room at the Marriott right next door to the venue so we good to go

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 20:03:16 »
I really hope some people can make it! We're going to have a hell of an event with donations from RAMA, Massdrop and Das Keyboard to sweeten the deal. Also a trip to my vintage keyboard hookup on Sunday morning!

Anyone coming from Dallas? Someone on Reddit would love a ride down.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 03 March 2017, 20:34:50 »
I really hope some people can make it! We're going to have a hell of an event with donations from RAMA, Massdrop and Das Keyboard to sweeten the deal. Also a trip to my vintage keyboard hookup on Sunday morning!

Anyone coming from Dallas? Someone on Reddit would love a ride down.

(Attachment Link)
Oh nice man I got 1 extra guy from reddit catching a ride with me.  Seems like it's gonna be fun. 

Offline Chief Clukey

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 04 March 2017, 11:08:07 »
Coming all the way from New York! (Also visiting family in TX). See you all there!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 14:10:59 »
Coming all the way from New York! (Also visiting family in TX). See you all there!
Nice! See ya there bud.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 14:50:50 »
FWIW, I did invite HaaTa and his parents are in town next weekend. Bummer!

Offline Tally810

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 15:09:37 »
FWIW, I did invite HaaTa and his parents are in town next weekend. Bummer!
Oh dang that would have been pretty cool

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 09 March 2017, 10:12:13 »
See you all on Saturday, 3-7pm! TechShop, 120 Sundance Pkwy #350, Round Rock, TX 78681

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 09:32:06 »
Photos are posted!

https://goo.gl/photos/1n9LyBcnWtkR5rhi9
http://imgur.com/a/893cK

Both links have the same photos, choose whichever one you like more.