Author Topic: [IC] Synth Labs Solo Macropad  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
[IC] Synth Labs Solo Macropad
« on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 09:12:59 »
Synth Labs Solo
A IIDX-inspired Macropad

Interest Form:
Please fill out this form if you are interested in this macropad - doing so will help inform purchasing logistics.
https://forms.gle/7LzZujByGWDW1kgy5

Inspiration:
The Synth Labs Solo is a 7 key macropad with a rotary encoder. It is inspired Beatmania IIDX cabinets, and is intended to be usable as a mini-controller for those games on PC simulators. The design also draws inspiration from turntables, such as those from Pro-Ject audio.

Details:
The Solo is a sandwich-mount macropad. It is designed so that it can be assembled with the keys either on the left or right side of the knob.

Switches will be hotswappable. Rotary encoder will also be hotswappable with any Bourns EC11 encoder.

All 7 keys and the rotary encoder will be programmable in QMK / VIA. Rotary encoder will show up in VIA as 3 mappable keys (representing CW turn, CCW turn, and click-in).

What's Included
Currently, I'm intending on selling this as an entire pre-assembled built-to-order macropad, including:
- 1x Aluminum Base Chassis
- 1x Aluminum Bottom Chassis
- 1x Brass or Aluminum Knob
- 1x Brass Plate
- 1x Aluminum or Polycarbonate Sidewall
- 7x SLK 1.5u blank keycaps
- 7x Switches (options will depend on what I can get my hands on)
- 1x Bourns EC11 rotary encoder (detent w/ button, detentless w/ button, detent w/o button, or detentless w/o button)
- 1x Custom-fit carry case
- 1x Braided USB-C to USB-A cable
- 1x set of Poron case foams
- 1x PCB

A cheaper, unassembled kit, which will not include switches, keycaps, carry case, or the cable, may be available depending on demand.

Color Options
- The Base chassis will be available in E-White, Dark Gray Ano, or Silver
- The Bottom chassis will be available in E-White or Dark Gray Ano
- The Sidewall will be available in E-White or Dark Gray Anodized Aluminum, or Frosted Clear Polycarbonate
- The Plate will be available in PVD Silver or PVD Rose Gold
- The Knob will be available in PVD Silver (brass), PVD Rose Gold (brass), E-White (aluminum), or Dark Gray Ano (aluminum)
- Keycaps will be available in White or Dark Gray

Pricing/Purchasing Logistics
- Currently, the estimated target price is ~ $150.
- # of units available is tentatively ~200 units total
- Results from the form will be used to determine quantities of color options

More details TBD.

Current Status / To-Do
I have done two rounds of prototypes. The first round went well - but I decided to make some aesthetic design changes and try out some more elaborate surface finishes. I have just received the second round - which I'm very pleased with - but does have some room for minor improvements on the e-white finish, which I plan to iterate on.

Here's a gallery with some quick photos of the prototypes:
https://imgur.com/a/0uoJcym

Will have some nicer photos when design/manufacturing choices are finalized.

These items still need to be finished:
- Determine purchasing model / logistics
- Update firmware to support flipping the layout in VIA
- Mold production for 1.5u SLK blank keycaps
- Working on finalizing the carry case design
- Packaging

More Renders:
https://imgur.com/a/s5TPInp

Discord
Join the Discord, if you'd like to follow with more frequent updates:
https://discord.gg/NGu9Xk3Ek7

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 February 2022, 05:40:06 by Nostril »

Offline Rexcramer

Re: [IC] Synth Labs Solo Macropad
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 09:33:00 »
Lovely design :thumb: The choices for "Favorite Keycaps" on page 3 of the interest survey are "Option 1" and "Dark Grey". Im assuming Option 1 would be white?

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 10:00:09 »
Lovely design :thumb: The choices for "Favorite Keycaps" on page 3 of the interest survey are "Option 1" and "Dark Grey". Im assuming Option 1 would be white?

Whoops - yeah. Thanks for the catch!

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 10:32:00 »
USB cord has to come out the side? Any chance of allowing routing under the case so that it can go out the "back" no matter which side the encoder is on?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Nurseh

• Sorry for always apologizing
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 13:34:19 »
Liking the height variations between keys and encoder, Interested.

Offline mozaic

• [IG] Mozaic
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 14:11:46 »
Ayy you finally did it. Let's go!

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 15:58:30 »
I just want your 60% tbh

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline SeamansBeard

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 07:05:47 »
Looks great, love the aesthetics! I thought however the usb cutout would be on the "backside" as on one of the longsides. That feels more natural because most usually run their cables to straight back on their desks. I like the uneven amounts of keycaps sideways but not if its going to be vertical like I would have to set it up.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 23:47:46 »
USB cord has to come out the side? Any chance of allowing routing under the case so that it can go out the "back" no matter which side the encoder is on?

Looks great, love the aesthetics! I thought however the usb cutout would be on the "backside" as on one of the longsides. That feels more natural because most usually run their cables to straight back on their desks.

Yeah, this is something I considered. However the cutaway for the cable would be big enough to be visible on the case wall, and since the macropad is designed to be reversible, it would result in a visible hole on the "front side". I do think what I have currently is more elegant. Perhaps a right-angle cable would make this come together better.

I like the uneven amounts of keycaps sideways but not if its going to be vertical like I would have to set it up.

Fair enough - I can definitely see an ortholinear layout being better for the vertical orientation. The switch layout on the PCB is actually a 7x2, which is to facilitate side-swapping the knob. So in addition to the current 3+4 key or 4+3 key layout, the PCB can also support 3+3 or 4+4 layouts. The only thing preventing this is the case parts (the plate and walls). I do think that offering 4+4 ortholinear layout variant parts as well would be neat.

I can keep this in mind going into production - but I'd imagine splitting the order between multiple layouts would make it hard to achieve the quantities I need to hit a reasonable price. If nothing else, it will be good consideration that might come up another day.

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 11:46:31 »
An L shaped USB C cable might give a cleaner look.

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 12:57:56 »
Could we get a look at the underside of the macropad? I like this design a lot, but it does feel like there's a lot of unused space around the rotary encoder, and the edges look a bit sharp. Maybe they could be filleted a bit? Anyway I like this a lot, the clear top piece underneath the caps especially. And the price isn't too bad. Looking forward to GB :)

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 13:05:39 »
Damn IIDX inspired hell yeah
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline nicoles

• Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 23:20:51 »
Wow, I love this! Amazing work, and I am super excited to buy one when the time comes.

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 17:19:17 »
Could we get a look at the underside of the macropad?

Sure! Just added some more renders, and a link to a render gallery in the OP to show the underside. Adding the renders here for quick reference:

the edges look a bit sharp. Maybe they could be filleted a bit?

As for the edge you're probably talking about - I'm opting to keep that as-is to maintain seamlessness where the edge crosses under the plate. In the prototypes, I don't think it's really bothersome since that section is quite thin compared to the rest of the pad and out of the way, and even so isn't as sharp as something like the edge of a Macbook Pro.

Offline lecorsair

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 17:55:44 »
Interested. Do you have measurement for the USB-C port opening? Have you had a chance to try different cables on the prototype? The CU7 was a smashing product with the only complaint of small port opening fitting various generic USB-C cables, hoping not having to go through that again.

Offline Aquaman24

• Stop, hey what's that sound? Oh just clickys.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 06:06:23 »
I've been looking for something like this!

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 22:41:13 »
Interested. Do you have measurement for the USB-C port opening? Have you had a chance to try different cables on the prototype? The CU7 was a smashing product with the only complaint of small port opening fitting various generic USB-C cables, hoping not having to go through that again.

Seems to fit fine on all of the USB cables I have on hand. Here's the dimensions, it should fit any USB-C plug with a 12.50 x 6.52 mm or smaller housing.

« Last Edit: Wed, 12 January 2022, 22:45:25 by Nostril »

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 23:26:18 »
Those there are some fine looking traces.
A-a-ron