geekhack Community > Off Topic

Modern handhelds

(1/2) > >>

tp4tissue:
These new ones are getting really expensive. Doesn't make much sense, why would you pay $600 to play games @ garbage image quality. New ones are pushing $1500, and still pretty much lowest setting at 720p.

Is playing games on a bus really such an important experience, to be worth that price?

For reference you can build a nvidia gtx1080 pc for ~$600-700, for $1500, 4070ti/7900xtx.

Leslieann:
It's because they get wrecked in the low end market.
Switch and the Steam Deck are just too hard to beat, gotta set yourself apart from those or there's no sense in trying. For me, I see no point in anything better since as you mentioned it's kind of pointless really. Even if you could do 4k ultra at high refresh, on such a small screen it's pointless. SteamDeck+desktop/laptop is far better proposition which is why pretty much all of these higher end ones will fail.

noisyturtle:
I do not put things like the Steamdeck, ROG, or Shield into the same category as other strictly handhelds. Those are PCs that happened to have a portable feature. You are just buying a laptop with less features.

You want an actual handheld console, get an Analogue Pocket or maybe a Switch(which itself is not a full-on handheld)

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Sat, 09 March 2024, 15:19:22 ---I do not put things like the Steamdeck, ROG, or Shield into the same category as other strictly handhelds. Those are PCs that happened to have a portable feature. You are just buying a laptop with less features.

--- End quote ---
The lines between all of these are blurring at an ever increasing rate.

tp4tissue:
Saw an oled laptop brand new for $750. You can get used gaming laptops for around that much as well. These $$ handhelds, really questionable as to what the buyers are thinking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version