Author Topic: Jixr's #2 QFR  (Read 5788 times)

Offline Jixr

Jixr's #2 QFR
« on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 21:55:34 »
Alright guys, so this is my second board, ( yes I know we can only enter once officially but the turn out has been kinda low so far )

So My "its blue" board is pretty straight forward, I wanted to do something a bit crazy with my other QFR

So, I'm calling this one #2, as its all I can think of right now.

So While i'm working on sanding down another case top, I had the Idea awhile back to make a hybrid board, basically, mixing up some cherry switches.
The idea being, I currently have two boards on my desk, my blue, and this one, so when I was typing I would grab this one, and use blue for gaming ( note blue is the red switched one )
So If i put reds on the WASD and the rest blues, then I could have a hybrid board, kinda unique and what not. Kinda two boards mixed into one.

So what I did was pop out the WASD, esc, and space bar keys. And  turned the WASD's into reds, and for giggles made the spacebar and esc greens ( ghetto's )

And it works out alright, the difference is not really noticeable in the switches when i'm typing ( typing this whole thing out with it ) but in gaming its cool because I still get my reds, and clickys for everything else. Played some BF3 and it worked out fine as expected, but in other games like star craft is a bit weird sine you're pressing around and hear "clack, clack, clack, THUD, clack" but usually i'm too into the game to notice.

Currently the case is about half way done being sanded, not exactly sure what color i'm going to paint it.
I would like to get some keycaps for it, but I don't want to shell out too much as i'm also have a custom WASD keycap set up in the books

I was thinking some of the cheaper colored cap sets you can get for $20 or so, or get myself the front printed white caps I want and put my white blanks on this one.

I've also though about maybe crowdsourcing it? if any of you guys have an idea of what I might can do with it tell me and I'll see what I can do.

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 22:02:47 by Jixr »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Jixr's #2 QFR
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:01:03 »
If you crowdsource, let me know, I can contribute out of my crap bag.

To give you an idea of what that would look like, here's my QFR (not crowdsourced, I'm just nuts).

QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Jixr

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 14:27:00 »
Anyone have any good ideas about maybe what color I can paint it with the stock keycaps and still look decent?

I really can't afford to buy another keycap set to make it look fancy, but still have a few cases that I would like to paint up.

I was thinking maybe a crazy neon color thats uv reactive, or maybe a white base then glow in the dark on top of it.

any ideas?

Offline Jixr

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 19:27:45 »
Well, since it was raining today, I ended up sanding down the case for my #2 board. I'm just playing around with this one, Looking at the supplies I have on hand, I have black, some leftover blue form my other board, and some Yellow that I used to paint a computer case awhile back... Meh... Lets see how the yellow looks. ( its "Sun Yellow" so it wont be crazy bright ) Worst case senario if it does not come out decent i'll just sand it smooth and paint over the yellow.

Though I did have an idea to do a white base coat, then glow in the dark paint, then clear, and then polish the hell out of it. Put some white caps and add a black light and watch it glow.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 21:21:08 »

here is the yellow, I ran out of paint, so its not really finished, but you can get an idea of how it looks.

It looks a bit too... batman-y for me ( i'm not sure of any readily avalible keycaps that would go well with yellow )

Also, for giggles I put this case on my "its blue" board and it turns my board into something that looks like it came out of Wario world.

It looks pretty bright in the picture, but its more dull IRL

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 00:30:26 »
Looks fantastic!

KeyPop's BumbleBee set would go well with this case :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jixr

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 11:53:43 »
Well, I kinda ran into two problems, I ran out of paint, and me being lazy for this one caused some of the paint to chip off, so I gotta sand everything down and get some proper paint this time.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 15:09:34 »
Just got back from the store, laying down the white base coat today.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 17:12:19 »
I will be interested to see how this turns out  :)

I think I am going to paint my other within the next week, took me a good 2+ hours to sand it down though...

Offline Jixr

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 21:54:45 »
well, I spent the day laying down the white base coat, but there was a problem, and this case is now just a test case.... ( i still have 3 left )

Apparently I wasnt thinking and made a rookie mistake, and instead of letting the yellow cure for a few days, I just sprayed the white over it, and the white ( different brand ) is not sticking to the yellow at all so its chipping pretty badly.

So i will go ahead and spray the glow in the dark paint on the white to see what its turns out like, and to see how well it glows, and how well I can finish it. If it goes well I'll start to sand another case top and get more paint and try again.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:23:29 »
just started the glow paint, and checked on it 5mins later and it orange peeled and basically peed the thing down to the plastic.

I had a black light turned on while painting it to see the areas that I painted with teh glow paint, but apparently it take it a good bit before It will react to UV light, so I was soaking the thing with paint before It would glow and ended up a massive blob.

I was in a rush and basically didn't follow any of my own rules. Oh well, the case was warped and had busted tabs anyway.

Fail.

Notes:
- Don't paint on days when its been rainy
- Make sure you have enough paint to paint whole case
- Let dry for a few days before painting more layers/colors

Its not really worth saving, so into the trash it goes.

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:27:41 by Jixr »

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 22:52:26 »
Aw! So sad!! :(
hello.

Offline HesterDW

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 00:47:12 »
Did the exact same thing on my second case. Got cocky!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 13:02:44 »
Show Image

here is the yellow, I ran out of paint, so its not really finished, but you can get an idea of how it looks.

It looks a bit too... batman-y for me ( i'm not sure of any readily avalible keycaps that would go well with yellow )

Finally someone does a full-on bright yellow case. Looks awesome.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Jixr

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:58:11 »
yeah the yellow didn't look that bad, but it would have been hard finding a set of keys that would have gone well with it.

the only yellow keys i've seen in person have all been a dull yellow, and black didn't look good either.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:00:35 »
yeah the yellow didn't look that bad, but it would have been hard finding a set of keys that would have gone well with it.

the only yellow keys i've seen in person have all been a dull yellow, and black didn't look good either.

White keys?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:11:01 »
Show Image

Finally someone does a full-on bright yellow case. Looks awesome.

+1

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46824.0

Although you have missed the GB, it is understood that KeyPop will have a few sets for sale in their store afterwards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jixr

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 19:42:17 »
yeah, as awesome as it would be to have a really nice keycap set, I can't justify spending more than $60 for a keycap set, and I would only spend $60 for a fully custom WASD layout. ( yeah i know they are looked down upon )

Offline Jixr

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 20:51:39 »
Spent all afternoon sanding down another case, this is the last one I have, I wanna keep my other 2 i have left stock.

Just started with the white base coat, so hopefully this one will turn out better than the one I trashed.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:33:39 »
Alright...

I spend the weekend painting it white, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, letting it cure, then I tried out the Glow in the dark paint. I painting it during the day, misted it, let it set for about 10mins, and basically continued doing that till I ran out of paint, ( entire can of glow paint )

Since it was daylight, It was hard to see how thick I was laying it on and what areas I covered. After I ran out of paint I let it sit for a few hours, and then had to do some pretty intense wetsanding, the paint dried really gritty and stringy, and by the time I got done sanding, I put it under a black light and here is out it came out.

It really does look cool under UV light or in the dark, but you can clearly see the areas I missed ( corners and such ) and areas that were removed from sanding. Even with the white base it looks black in the dark.

Honestly I think it would take probably another 2 cans of Glow paint to cover the entire thing, and at about $10 a can its not cheap ( considering i've spent nearly $50 in paint and supplies to paint these cases )

It does glow well though, In the dark its the classic green glow, but in the daylight It just looks a white top that got really dirty and grimy ( kinda like how white lego's look after a few years )

Even with the stock QFR caps, a white top does look pretty good, so Hopefully I have enough white to paint it all a nice flat white, and if not I have a whole can of blue like my other board and I'll just have two blue ones, or just shelf the project for awhile and come back at it another time.

I'm kinda bummed, after the first case I tried to glow got ruined, and this one pretty much turned out like crap as well, even though I took more time and precautions than I did my blue one.

I have 2 cases left ( grey and blk ) and I want to keep them stock.

Also are other peoples cases as warped as mine have been?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 06:51:50 »
I spend the weekend painting it white, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding, letting it cure, then I tried out the Glow in the dark paint.

YEAH!!!! It's sort of keyboard science-y.

I think the GitD case looks pretty good, actually -- the trouble with doing anything that glows, or throws off light is that every teensy tiny little flaw is magnified. Still, it looks cool. Maybe try masking with the glow-in-the-dark coating, rather than full coverage? At any rate, it's awesome that you risked it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2013, 07:01:33 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Jixr

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 09:19:08 »
Yeah, its pretty much just a clear coat with whatever the glow chemcial is mixed in.

it was a fun little experiment though.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:49:31 »
bleh, its not nearly as good as my blue one, its not bad, but just not up to my personal standards.

but for most people it would look good to them.

Oh well

IMG_5789.jpg by claytongfinley, on Flickr