Author Topic: PHINIX QFR keyboard Mod  (Read 6081 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
PHINIX QFR keyboard Mod
« on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 17:55:13 »
So I'm also a part of this crazy event!
Today I received nice covers, which I'm planning to mod.
There will be two mods - first one is in planning/gathering stuff stage.
It is called - Phinix QFR Retro Mod  :cool:

Stay tuned ! :thumb:
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: PHINIX QFR keyboard Mod
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 10:31:26 »
can't wait for this. the retro set would look SOOOO good with a matching case.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 05:21:14 »
Wow!
I gotta say - it is not that easy to get rid of that rubber layer. I was sanding it down in hands and broke one frame:(  :eek:
The longest bit were the bottom of keyboard is:(  :-X
This frame gets VERY soft and elastic when sanding it - gets warm and soft - warning! - anyone who's doing it for the first time - make sure you hold it firmly and don't press the sand paper too much!

Yesterday I started to sand second frame and this time was very careful. It took me about an hour to do all main sides.
Now all the small bits inside left. Seems like the internal sides have less rubber on them, or maybe that's just me....

I also bought spray paints! I will add photos tonight:thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 05:23:00 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 09:45:47 »
i have more cases and understand UK customs significantly better than i did a month ago if you need more units phinix :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 20:17:12 »
As it's kind of relevant, and me being such a painting n00b, why can't you just paint over the rubber stuff?

And don't CM sell cases without a rubber costing?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 01:29:15 »
As it's kind of relevant, and me being such a painting n00b, why can't you just paint over the rubber stuff?

And don't CM sell cases without a rubber costing?

any surface must be sanded before painting if you want your paint job to be durable. And of all surfaces I could think of, the rubber stuff is definitely one of the worst to paint over (it is slightly soft and bendy and the paint doesn't have a solid surface to stick on).

Basically sanding gives a nice rugged surface your paint can grip on.

Offline phinix

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:25:12 »
Just two photos for now.

I bought these paints - photo doesn't give real color, but this is "face" color from Black Montana pallet.
It is basically color of old Amiga/Commodore keyboard covers:)

Here's a photo from website:

..and here after good few hours of sanding that d*** rubber coat. There are still some bits in the internal corners, need to get some small piece of paper and get rid of them...

It's has been raining here in Glasgow, so I didn't start painting.
I'm going on holidays this week and be back around 22nd, so will get back on this, hopefully will have better weather too...
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:29:05 by phinix »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:47:59 »
Have you by chance done a computer case mod in the past?  I am associating your name and your avatar with something I've seen before--just wondering!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:49:16 »
Have you by chance done a computer case mod in the past?  I am associating your name and your avatar with something I've seen before--just wondering!
Dude, he hasn't just done computer case mods.. He's made cases from scratch. They're total masterpieces. Check his sig!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 14:57:32 »
Oh duh, I've totally overlooked the signature!  I knew he seemed familiar!!  I'm a big fan of your case work, phinix :)  I've done a number of case mods myself, but none as elavotate or imaginative.  Can't wait to see your QFR cover!!!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 15:14:07 »
phinix made my favorite computer case EVER. the nanotower is seriously my favorite computer case period. that thing is just unprecedented and has yet to be topped by anyone, either large company or case modder, period. even the new murderbox has NOTHING on the nanotower. iirc samwisekoi is also a huge fan.

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 10:10:10 »
Oh duh, I've totally overlooked the signature!  I knew he seemed familiar!!  I'm a big fan of your case work, phinix :)  I've done a number of case mods myself, but none as elavotate or imaginative.  Can't wait to see your QFR cover!!!

phinix made my favorite computer case EVER. the nanotower is seriously my favorite computer case period. that thing is just unprecedented and has yet to be topped by anyone, either large company or case modder, period. even the new murderbox has NOTHING on the nanotower. iirc samwisekoi is also a huge fan.

Dude, he hasn't just done computer case mods.. He's made cases from scratch. They're total masterpieces. Check his sig!

Thanks guys! It is so nice to see you guys like my work :)

Photoelectric, if you want to see projects I did in the past, please take a look at my sig. There is also latest, in progress project, Aurora.

Getting back to our cover mods - I was on holidays for couple of weeks.
Im back now. I managed to get rid of all the rubber layer and painted it with first layer of primer. When tried to paint it again with new layer, it started to bubble, like first layer was coming off. So had to sand it down again and will put primer again.
Not sure what happened - it's been raining here in Glasgow for a while, maybe humidity is high and doesn't let it dry properly?
I'm noob when it comes to painting stuff...

Offline Travellerr

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 November 2013, 16:30:04 »
Hey, I currently own a quickfire rapid with blues and saw this thread, I am currently new to the whole modding anything more than key caps. So, I just wanted to know do you use basic sand paper to get the rubberized coating off?, I have the black version of this keyboard but I believe the rubber coating is the same on both versions of this board, and also what type of paint is need to modify the frame of the rapid?. I have just seen some pictured of modified cases and to say the least they are lovely. Any help and or tips from the more experienced members of this site would be most appreciated.
Leopold FC660C- Realforce 87u 55g- QFR mx Blues