Author Topic: one-handed portable keyboards? (other than twiddler)  (Read 1916 times)

Offline lancegatlin@gmail.com

one-handed portable keyboards? (other than twiddler)
« on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:38:28 »
Hi folks!

I already own several Twiddlers and am very familiar with its pros and cons.

I'm writing to see if anyone knows about alternatives. There seems to be no viable commercial one-handed portable keyboards besides Twiddler. I'm very interested in custom projects that anyone knows about.

Specifically, I'm looking to find something like the Twiddler but with a controller that is QMK compatible. My current project is bumping up against the limitations of the TekGear firmware and TekGear provides no help in writing custom firmware.

Also, for anyone inclined to comment, I'm weighing the choice of spending the time to bootstrap custom Twiddler firmware vs crafting a Twiddler like device from scratch.

The chipset on the Twiddler is: https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/PIC18F47J53

Thanks!

-L

Offline Findecanor

Re: one-handed portable keyboards? (other than twiddler)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 16:07:46 »
The only other keyboard I've heard about that is one-handed and handheld is the DataEgg. I think it had seven keys for chording. I have not found much info on it. I still don't know if it became a commercial product or was just a research prototype.

There are lots of other one-handed desktop keyboards though:
For instance, a few people have made one-handed versions of the ErgoDox. I put half-keyboard layers on mine (but left it two-handed). There are several other more or less similar but smaller DIY mechanical ergo keyboards out there that I think could be modded to one hand.
There was also this project here which was pretty much the same but from scratch.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2019, 16:10:13 by Findecanor »

Offline lancegatlin@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 18:30:26 »
The only other keyboard I've heard about that is one-handed and handheld is the DataEgg. I think it had seven keys for chording. I have not found much info on it. I still don't know if it became a commercial product or was just a research prototype.
There is a new AR company using that name now, so I haven't been able to find even a pic of the DataEgg.
Better search, found it: http://friedmanarchives.com/dataegg/
It is interesting but not what I'm looking for.

There was also this project here which was pretty much the same but from scratch.
A wonderful thread, thanks for the link!

I have my own one-handed desktop chording keyboard setup (minidox) that I'm very happy with. My next goal is to move this setup to handheld in a way that preserves muscle memory.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2019, 18:49:02 by lancegatlin@gmail.com »

Offline PupFriend

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 15:14:38 »
Hi Lance,
I'm interested in the same type of project you described in this thread, a physically-modded onehanded portable keyboard, and was wondering if you proceeded with this project and what you ended up with.

I'm moderately disabled due to a genetic connective tissue disorder and need to find reliable alternative ways to make use of a keyboard, ideally involving as little repetitive motion and/or hand-strain as I possible.

After starting Occupational Therapy (aka Hand Therapy), I've become interested in trying to physically modify my Twiddler 3 so that it has a much fatter grip, as well as fewer and easier to compress superficial buttons. It would be a huge bonus if I can create something that allows movement of other joints (non-hand/wrist joints) that could actuate buttons.

I'd love to know what you ended up doing!
-PupFriend

Offline PupFriend

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 02:54:22 »
You've found that helpful? Looks promising.