Author Topic: [IC] SA Jadeite (GB: Sept 14 - Oct 16)  (Read 39674 times)

Offline HoodrowThrillson

[IC] SA Jadeite (GB: Sept 14 - Oct 16)
« on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:13:14 »
SA Jadeite
Signature Plastics SA

Collaboration between HoodrowThrillson and OneCreativeMind
Interest Check here

GB Date: September 14 - October 16

RAMA WORKS U80A + SA Jadeite Alphas and Modifers

What is Jadeite?
Jadeite is one of the two mineral species that fall under the classification of jade (the other one is called nephrite).

And the theme?
This past winter, I had the opportunity to travel to Taiwan with my S/O as well as my Taiwanese friend and his S/O. During that time, I got to experience all there was to do in Taiwan. One of the most memorable places we got to go to was the National Palace Museum. I was fortunate enough to see the Jade Cabbage, which this set is based off of. Yes I did IC KAM Jade but this set will probably replace that.

The image I took of the Jade Cabbage is below.

Colors

Signature Plastics PBT Colors

From left to right: VS, VAZ, VCB, WAN
*Note: SP is going to match these colors with ABS, these keycaps ARE NOT PBT

Vendors? Pricing?

NA: Novelkeys
CA: Apex Keyboards
EU: MyKeyboard
Asia: Monokei
OCE: Daily Clack

Kits?

Collabs?

Space Cables

Renders
As always, done by Abec13

U80A

Think 6.5

Neuron

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2020, 14:16:04 by HoodrowThrillson »
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
Re: [IC] SA Jadeite
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:15:23 »
I love SA
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline Abec13

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:22:22 »
Esssaaayyyyy
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline fropsie

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:23:54 »
Gib.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:33:33 »
Interesting concept.

Couple quick comments:

- In the numpad kit, the numpad= key is light green (VCB), but this key tends to be on the leftside of a numpad, when present, so perhaps it ought to be white instead.
- In the ISO kit, the R1 dark green \| key seems to be unnecessary, as it is not used (on the left side of the keyboard) in either the English (US) or the English (UK) national layouts. It IS used as the top left corner key in the Portuguese and Italian layouts, but that is a different matter..
- In the spacebars kit, perhaps at least a 2.25 light green space bar could be added, so the gradation from dark green to white can be done flawlessly if going with a split space bar.

HTH!

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:37:28 »
I dig it

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:41:42 »
Never was a fan of gradient sets, but this one resonates with me for some reason. Definitely would be down for a set!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 17:46:20 »
Sweet colors. I'm glad to see yet another set that uses those nice, cool and calm greens. I think gradients work best with SA, so good call on that too (although KAT would've been good too). Anyway, I have some kitting suggestions for your consideration :)
  • Add F13 to the extension kit.
  • Move R1 End and PgDn to the numpad kit since those keys are only used on layouts with numpads.
  • R3 1.75u Function would be cool.
  • I think the green R1 \| in the ISO kit may have been added by mistake.
  • Remove the Win keys and instead use Code everywhere.
  • I don't like the discrepancy between Insert and Del. Since I don't think Delete fits on SA 1u, how about using Ins instead?
  • This is down to your preference as the designer, but I think it'd look better if Scroll↲Lock were Scroll, Page↲Up were PgUp etc.
  • Not sure how useful the second 1.25u space in the 40s kit is.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:45:25 by konstantin »

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:03:00 »
Sweet colors. I'm glad to see yet another set that uses those nice, cool and calm greens. I think gradients work best with SA, so good call on that too (although KAT would've been good too). Anyway, I have some kitting suggestions for your consideration :)
  • Move R1 End and PgDn to the numpad kit since those keys are only used on layouts with numpads.
  • I don't like the discrepancy between Insert and Del. Since I don't think Delete fits on SA 1u, how about using Ins instead?
  • This is down to your preference as the designer, but I think it'd look better if Scroll↲Lock were Scroll, Page↲Up were Page etc.

Some good points, but some things (IE: Code instead of Win) were based off of what molds Maxkey has made.
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:10:44 »
  • This is down to your preference as the designer, but I think it'd look better if Scroll↲Lock were Scroll, Page↲Up were Page etc.

Hey there again, Konstantin! The big blocker for a lot of these things is going to be what molds that Maxkey has available and we are already producing quite a few legends/molds for the 40s kit here. The goal here, and reason for going with Maxkey is to keep this VERY affordable. We will ask how an additional handful of molds will affect price when we get to the point of reaching out for quotes :)

1. F13 mold doesn't exist in Maxkey's library as far as I know, but we will inquire and see if it does
2. Interesting feedback, if there's desire for that we will consider that change
3. Similar to #1, would be cool but it is just not common enough to justify the mold costs
4. This may genuinely be a mistake on my end, I'll sink with Hoodrow
5. Similar to #2, we will consider that change if there is enough support for it. "Win" is the Maxkey kitting convention currently.
6. "Ins" and "Delete" molds don't exist, but we will inquire
7. Same as #6, just using what is available to keep costs reasonable!
8. This is for Corne, and similar layouts/boards

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:17:55 »
I love the colours you’ve picked out, the set looks gorgeous!

Hey there again, Konstantin! The big blocker for a lot of these things is going to be what molds that Maxkey has available and we are already producing quite a few legends/molds for the 40s kit here. The goal here, and reason for going with Maxkey is to keep this VERY affordable. We will ask how an additional handful of molds will affect price when we get to the point of reaching out for quotes :)

1. F13 mold doesn't exist in Maxkey's library as far as I know, but we will inquire and see if it does

If there’s no F13 option could one of the novelties be green in white to fit in that slot instead?

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:21:20 »
If there’s no F13 option could one of the novelties be green in white to fit in that slot instead?

Heyyyyyy now there's an idea!

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:29:18 »

Heyyyyyy now there's an idea!
I like this idea

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:43:31 »
Some good points, but some things (IE: Code instead of Win) were based off of what molds Maxkey has made.

[...]

Heya! Thanks for the prompt responses, guys. I saw SP color chips and assumed this was SP SA — since it's Maxkey, going with molds that are currently available makes sense, of course. If new molds for a couple of the things I suggested could reasonably be produced, that would be great to see (it might interest Maxkey to subsidize since other sets would benefit from it too), but it's not a must by any means.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my suggestions. Again — great colors, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

+1 for the novelty suggestion in case F13 doesn't pan out :)

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:51:27 »
Forgive my ignorance, but with PBT color chips featured, is this set intending to be ABS doubleshot or PBT dye sub? Either way, I’m very interested in the ergo set. Love the gradient.  :cool:

Offline psxndc

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 18:59:03 »
Disappointed this wasn't called cabbage in the end. :)
Ortho. Always.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 19:10:52 »
Forgive my ignorance, but with PBT color chips featured, is this set intending to be ABS doubleshot or PBT dye sub? Either way, I’m very interested in the ergo set. Love the gradient.  :cool:
ABS Doubleshot, I looked at ABS colors but they didn't work as well as the PBT colors. Wei assured that Maxkey can match PBT colors.
Disappointed this wasn't called cabbage in the end. :)
Cabbage is not as elegant as Jadeite

Offline yuuS0cut3

• Stay young
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 20:09:26 »
Please consider adding F-row keys that support keyboards which have no blocker between F-rows such as 96%, 75%,...
Here's an example problem of SA Vilebloom

Offline ToraShiba

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 04:45:07 »
PBT and I'm in <3

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 05:07:30 »
Beautiful, can we get a norde kit?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 06:03:45 »
PBT and I'm in <3

As far as I know, Maxkey doesn't do reverse dye sub, so there would be no way to create the white on green legends. I don't think I've seen them do any PBT SA at all, so it's a no-go either way.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 07:00:52 »

Please consider adding F-row keys that support keyboards which have no blocker between F-rows such as 96%, 75%,...
Here's an example problem of SA Vilebloom
Show Image

I've thought about it and the problem is that there are so many variations of the F row on compat 1800 boards that it makes it hard to cater to all of the different renditions of it.
PBT and I'm in <3
Maxkey doubleshots are ABS only as far as I'm aware.

Beautiful, can we get a norde kit?

I am pretty sure those molds don't exist for Maxkey.

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 10:15:26 »
I think you can account for most or all of the 1800/75%/F13 layouts with 2 extra keys:  Green F5 and the light teal F6.

Excuse my bad mock-ups, but I think it gets the point across generally that it should accommodate most possible FRows

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 13:08:23 »
I think you can account for most or all of the 1800/75%/F13 layouts with 2 extra keys:  Green F5 and the light teal F6.

Excuse my bad mock-ups, but I think it gets the point across generally that it should accommodate most possible FRows

Show Image

+1, sounds (and looks) about right.

Offline nettoxx7

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 13:09:19 »
Was never interested in SA profile or the color green until this, love the gradient and clean setup !!

Offline norb

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 13:23:24 »
gradients are sweet, more sets like this should exist  :thumb:

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 21:06:08 »
Okay, now this is epic. I held out on Lucky Jade because it just didn't feel right at the moment, but this fills that hole. Hopefully the kit's run doesn't conflict with other sets I want.

Is the font on the keys going to be as thick as they are in the renders? Or is it a different font from most SA sets?

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 22:13:28 »
These greens are stellar. I'm super into this

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 06:06:43 »
The colourway is really refreshing. I really like the greens and whites in this set.
Great job!

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 07:14:39 »
Okay, now this is epic. I held out on Lucky Jade because it just didn't feel right at the moment, but this fills that hole. Hopefully the kit's run doesn't conflict with other sets I want.

Is the font on the keys going to be as thick as they are in the renders? Or is it a different font from most SA sets?
No special font, just normal SA font.

Here is SA Leviathan (also Maxkey)

Thank you to everyone for providing so much feedback, between here and Reddit, we've gathered a lot of feedback. OCM and I will need to discuss what changes we want to make.

Offline amperrsand

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 07 April 2020, 14:09:33 »
Okay cool. Yeah, the render just kinda makes the letter look a little chonky, like the Q.

Offline TeacherGeek

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 17:19:58 »
What about green legends for the white keycaps instead of black? I don't know if it is better but a render would be cool? Or at least the right side modifers.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 17:43:48 »
What about green legends for the white keycaps instead of black? I don't know if it is better but a render would be cool? Or at least the right side modifers.

I'm pretty sure they are dark green, at least they are on the KLE.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 17:51:41 »

I'm pretty sure they are dark green, at least they are on the KLE.
Yup, they're dark green (same as the cap on the left)

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 18:10:02 »
Cool themes and cool colors. But SA is the bane of my existence. Hopefully this set is so successful you guys decide to run it in different profiles in the future.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 08 April 2020, 20:13:45 »
Here are a list of items we will be considering and/or fixing:
  • Add novelty for F13 (R1 white)
  • Do we make the 40s kit fully comprehensive or leave it as is so it supports the majority of boards
  • Split ergo support added to the Ergodox kit (will allow use with Kyria, Manuform, Let's Split, etc.)
  • More jade-esque novelties?
  • Add F5 and F6 of the correct color for 96%, 75%, etc.

Offline Mukdip

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 03:46:23 »
Interested for my partner. Any chance for MacOS keys?

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 20:55:14 »
Interested for my partner. Any chance for MacOS keys?
Sorry, the likelihood of it reaching MOQ is too low to proceed with it.

In other news, kits have been updating.

Ergodox kit will now cover a lot more split boards (Kyria, Manuform, Let's Split, etc)!
Removed unnecessary ISO key
Added additional F5 and F6 for compat large boards (75%, 96%, etc.) to help keep gradient in tack.
Added white R1 novelties for F13

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 21:19:40 »
Additionally uploaded all new renders + updated/fixed renders

Just for the Top Clack crowd :)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 03:51:25 »

Ergodox kit will now cover a lot more split boards (Kyria, Manuform, Let's Split, etc)!
Added additional F5 and F6 for compat large boards (75%, 96%, etc.) to help keep gradient in tack.

Now that the Extension kit is two keys “heavier”, could you move R1 End and PgDn to the numpad kit? Again, those keys are only ever used with numpads, and they don't see use on any layout smaller than 1800/CP/96-key. Which is why most recent numpadless sets (e.g. 9009, MoDoL, Café, Apollo, Bleached) have been putting them in their numpad kits.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 08:08:51 »

Now that the Extension kit is two keys “heavier”, could you move R1 End and PgDn to the numpad kit? Again, those keys are only ever used with numpads, and they don't see use on any layout smaller than 1800/CP/96-key. Which is why most recent numpadless sets (e.g. 9009, MoDoL, Café, Apollo, Bleached) have been putting them in their numpad kits.

Here are our thoughts

Modifiers covers standard TKL
Modifiers + Numpad covers standard fullsize
Extension kit are for those running nonstandard things (Tsangan, 75%, 95%, etc.) (compat designs + 65% requires the short shift anyways).

The difference between those GMK sets and this SA set is that, they include the extension kit (more or less) into the base kit.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 10 April 2020, 12:09:41 »
Here are our thoughts

Modifiers covers standard TKL
Modifiers + Numpad covers standard fullsize
Extension kit are for those running nonstandard things (Tsangan, 75%, 95%, etc.) (compat designs + 65% requires the short shift anyways).

The difference between those GMK sets and this SA set is that, they include the extension kit (more or less) into the base kit.

I was looking at it from another perspective, that people who don't use a numpad don't need to pay for numpad keys, like people who use TKL don't need to pay for the extension, but what you're saying does make sense!

Offline Hellenic94

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 20:05:09 »
This is gorgeous, will pair nicely with Box Jades, hopefully its an open GB. Not sure if this will pair better with a silver or a white case, specifically a kbd76mkii. Can we get renders for that? Thanks and good luck!

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 22:26:57 »
This is gorgeous, will pair nicely with Box Jades, hopefully its an open GB. Not sure if this will pair better with a silver or a white case, specifically a kbd76mkii. Can we get renders for that? Thanks and good luck!

I’m not sure if this is still an issue or not, but box stems can crack SAs (has happened to me).

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 25 April 2020, 22:41:36 »
SA with gradient slope is my favorite. Cant wait.

But I gotta say the cabbage novelty looks like grandpa's wrinkly ****. The source material is stunning, but I don't think it translates.

Offline norb

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 26 April 2020, 04:59:23 »

I’m not sure if this is still an issue or not, but box stems can crack SAs (has happened to me).

i have both old and new ones of boxes and they are doing ok. they may still leave a minimum of white stretchmark on your stems but don't put enough stress to crack them anymore. i've tested with SP and GMK, not sure about other manus.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 07:37:44 »
IC updated - 5/5/20

IC is now live on KBDFans so please head on over there and let them know you're interested. Form is here.

Offline Le_Thrywyn

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 17:38:54 »
I'm new here, so I was wondering how long you would estimate it to take for this to reach GB/Shipping, and could you possibly get a render of this on a white board?

Offline b0bab0i

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:11:31 »
How many people for IC on KBDFans till it'll go on sale?

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 12:12:28 »
I'm new here, so I was wondering how long you would estimate it to take for this to reach GB/Shipping, and could you possibly get a render of this on a white board?
Time it takes from IC to GB: depends on level of interest and how many projects are launching before this.

Render on white board: Not at the moment.
How many people for IC on KBDFans till it'll go on sale?
I don't have the exact number but more the merrier.