Author Topic: Anyone got a spare Focus Alps Numpad 5 keycap?  (Read 1241 times)

Offline rifath33

Anyone got a spare Focus Alps Numpad 5 keycap?
« on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 18:40:52 »
Hey everyone... I restored this Focus FK-2001 keyboard and I totally wrecked the Numpad 5 keycap even though I used a proper keycap puller.

It ruined my day.

I was wondering if anyone could send me a Focus Alps mount Numpad 5 keycap that they’re not using...

Thank you!!!! I’ll be forever grateful

Offline rifath33

Re: Anyone got a spare Focus Alps Numpad 5 keycap?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 14:05:13 »
Edit: I don't need a replacement anymore  ;D

What I did was I got the keycap stem and used a soldering iron with a tip I don't like to kind of weld it back into place. Once I felt it was secure, I coated the edges with super-glue and left it to dry. While this may be kind of fragile, it got the job done and at-least now I can use my numpad 5 key in peace.

good luck to anyone who reads this post also needing replacement focus alps keycaps...
I got my keycap stem out of the slider by first disassembling the switch (you can open an edge with a finger nail and stick a post-it that's folded twice inside to hold each side open if you don't have an Alps opener), taking out the slider, and sticking in a really thin tweezer in between the edges to push out the slider. It takes a bit of force
good luck

Offline Tastenplatte

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:40:28 »
Good for you and great thinking!

Offline Reebes

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 12:30:58 »
Thanks for coming back to post the solution you got! Cool to see plastic welding being used on keycaps!