Author Topic: HHKB  (Read 29522 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
HHKB
« on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 10:33:42 »
This is my HHKB experience thread. Plus, don't know if we have any dedicated hhkb topic here, so lets start one  :thumb:

I always wanted to switch to HHKB and learn how to use it. Properly use it, like touch touch, learn the layout etc
Always loved topre feeling and liked to idea of having such a nice small keyboard.
Thing is I often use arrow keys during work editing text etc - thought it would be hard to use hhkb's arrows.
Thing is I do not touchtype with all my fingers, so if I was going to learn, I would start on it as a total beginner ;)

What is your expeirence with HHKB?
Was it hard to learn its layout and use it?
Do you love it or hate it?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2022, 06:06:15 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: HHKB
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 11:52:45 »
I tried an HHKB and the arrows were fine after a little while though shift+ctrl+arrows to select text is a two handed affair which was annoying.  Backspace was quickly not a problem either but I couldn't convince my brain that my ISO enter key had shrank so I hit backspace instead of enter for the full month, then I sold it.

Also being ANSI it lacked the \| key, not a huge problem for this Linux user but something to consider if you use Windows, unless you use it properly in ANSI and work out how to type £ and get used to @ and " being swapped.

Obviously most of my problems wouldn't be for you if you're used to using ANSI...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 13:13:50 »
I tried an HHKB and the arrows were fine after a little while though shift+ctrl+arrows to select text is a two handed affair which was annoying.  Backspace was quickly not a problem either but I couldn't convince my brain that my ISO enter key had shrank so I hit backspace instead of enter for the full month, then I sold it.

Also being ANSI it lacked the \| key, not a huge problem for this Linux user but something to consider if you use Windows, unless you use it properly in ANSI and work out how to type £ and get used to @ and " being swapped.

Obviously most of my problems wouldn't be for you if you're used to using ANSI...
Yeah, I dropped ISO few years ago, cause was fed up paying extra for ISO kits in keycaps sets.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 13:34:50 »
I like the hhkb layout, possibly because I am used to mac where the command key is still in the same position.

Learning the arrows and split backspace was pretty quick for me, found it to be much more comfortable in the end. Same thing with control, much more comfortable, but this took a little getting used to more so than the other keys. Absolutely love the arrows on the hhkb, just feels so natural now and I don't think I could ever go back. Wish more boards had true 6u.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 14:39:18 »
I like the hhkb layout, possibly because I am used to mac where the command key is still in the same position.

Learning the arrows and split backspace was pretty quick for me, found it to be much more comfortable in the end. Same thing with control, much more comfortable, but this took a little getting used to more so than the other keys. Absolutely love the arrows on the hhkb, just feels so natural now and I don't think I could ever go back. Wish more boards had true 6u.

Alright, so we have 1:1 for now :)

Thing is, when I type, I use CTRL+arrows to jump around pretty often.
On HHKB, it would be 3 keys to press, instead of 2. I could use generic Fn key on the right or swap that big Option key to be Fn and then use maybe JKLI as my arrows. But then using CTRL on Capslock position would be pretty hard with covering it all with fingers.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 16:42:04 »
im a bit on the fence about the hhkb layout, i like that they are doing something new and it shines when compared to other layouts but arrow keys are put in a super annoying spot and its pretty annoying to get used to

Offline phinix

Re: HHKB (and other 60%)
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 08:47:45 »
im a bit on the fence about the hhkb layout, i like that they are doing something new and it shines when compared to other layouts but arrow keys are put in a super annoying spot and its pretty annoying to get used to

I think if I'm going to get hhkb, I will get hybrid and remap them - I would put Fn key under left Command or whatever this is that sits next to spacebar, then map IJKL as arrows.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 10:47:12 »
I would put Fn key under left Command or whatever this is that sits next to spacebar, then map IJKL as arrows.
Either you have big hands and a slim body or that sounds like a terrible idea.  If you just have a slim body maybe RDFG would work.  You might find using the standard FN key with your pinky isn't a problem then you could use [;' and Enter?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 12:49:15 »

I think if I'm going to get hhkb, I will get hybrid and remap them - I would put Fn key under left Command or whatever this is that sits next to spacebar, then map IJKL as arrows.

i would likely swap locations of win key and alt and do the same thing too,, although i don't know anything about hybrid so i might stick to pro 2
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2022, 16:09:38 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 15:13:16 »
I would put Fn key under left Command or whatever this is that sits next to spacebar, then map IJKL as arrows.
Either you have big hands and a slim body or that sounds like a terrible idea.  If you just have a slim body maybe RDFG would work.  You might find using the standard FN key with your pinky isn't a problem then you could use [;' and Enter?

Well, big hands, big body :D
I would trigger layer with left thumb on left ALT and use right hand for arrows on IJKL.
Is that bad idea?

Offline phinix

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 15:15:12 »

i would likely swap locations of win key and alt and do the same thing too,, although i don't wanna use hybrid. imo i think pro 2 is my preference

Why you wouldn't use hybrid?
I would pick Hybrid only for possibility to map keys. Plus BT would be nice to connect to my phone or at work when I would not use batteries.
I think Hybrid is cool, you can run it for about 2-3 months on 2x AA batteries. I know it looks a bit iffy with that lump on the back, but still, you won't see it when typing.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 15:44:46 »
I would trigger layer with left thumb on left ALT and use right hand for arrows on IJKL.
Is that bad idea?
Oh!  I always think of arrows being a one handed thing so this is something I'd never considered.  Trying it out I can't get my left thumb there comfortably without moving my hand and having done that also pressing Shift and Ctrl (caps) is not comfortable so to me it's a bad idea, but nowhere near as bad as trying to dislocate your fingers to reach I with your middle finger while your arm is pressing into your gut so your thumb can reach the FN on the other side of space
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 16:08:57 »

i would likely swap locations of win key and alt and do the same thing too,, although i don't wanna use hybrid. imo i think pro 2 is my preference

I would pick Hybrid only for possibility to map keys. Plus BT would be nice to connect to my phone or at work when I would not use batteries.
I think Hybrid is cool, you can run it for about 2-3 months on 2x AA batteries. I know it looks a bit iffy with that lump on the back, but still, you won't see it when typing.

what is the difference between hybrid and pro2? excuse my complete lack of knowledge about hhkb's i joined this hobby focusing entirely about mx-style boards and not knowing anything about vintage boards or other styles of mechanical keyboards

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 April 2022, 02:59:47 »

what is the difference between hybrid and pro2? excuse my complete lack of knowledge about hhkb's i joined this hobby focusing entirely about mx-style boards and not knowing anything about vintage boards or other styles of mechanical keyboards

New hybrid can be remapped, it comes with a software for this.
Pro2 classic cannot be, unless you swap controller with Hasu one. Plus Hybrid uses AA baterries for BT. Classic is wired.

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 April 2022, 03:06:02 »
Is that bad idea?
Oh!  I always think of arrows being a one handed thing so this is something I'd never considered.  Trying it out I can't get my left thumb there comfortably without moving my hand and having done that also pressing Shift and Ctrl (caps) is not comfortable so to me it's a bad idea, but nowhere near as bad as trying to dislocate your fingers to reach I with your middle finger while your arm is pressing into your gut so your thumb can reach the FN on the other side of space
Show Image

Hahaha:) ok, so left hand's thumb goes on that 1.5u cap, with diamond, whatever it is, not Alt sorry, I see Alt is futher to the left 1u cap.
That diamond cap would be my remapped Fn. Then right hand would stay on home row and uses IJKL as arrows.
But you may be right, it may be hard to move left thumb below your hand...
I don't know, will try defualt hhkb arrows first, if not maybe will remap to WASD.

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 April 2022, 16:31:07 »
Alright, I'm selling most of my stuff and will buy that little thing.
I hope I'll make it through and learn how to use it including touch typing.
There are just few things in my life I never achieved, this is one of them :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 08:18:10 »
KKHB ordered.
I give myself a month. If I fail, I'll return it (Amazon) and never get other format than TKL.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 10:31:58 »
Good luck, a month should be long enough.

That said the best layout is 1800ish - only one column wider than TKL for way more keys, plus the arrows are nearer to the home position.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 10:43:28 »
Good luck, a month should be long enough.

That said the best layout is 1800ish - only one column wider than TKL for way more keys, plus the arrows are nearer to the home position.

I hate 1800 or 65% arrow cluster position - it freaks me out, when arrows are closer to Shift/Enter area.
I think (and hope) I will learn hhkb arrows quicker than that 65% arrows position. 1800 is even weirder for me, as those are closer and then lowered!

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 09:07:52 »
Guess on what keyboard I'm typing now :)

I'll give you a hint:  it's not my Frog TKK`L  :)  ^-^
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 April 2023, 18:00:27 by phinix »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 10:16:57 »
TKK`L
With what looks to be a horrific typo like that I'll guess it's some kind of touchscreen nonsense :p
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 April 2022, 17:57:40 »
TKK`L
With what looks to be a horrific typo like that I'll guess it's some kind of touchscreen nonsense :p

hahaha  :p

DAY 1

I need to get used to that backspace and del position.
So far its.. hard..ish. But those arrows - jeez, I was typing an email today and was really struggling with those arrows cluster - its not 100% bad, but I'll try to get used to it.

Quality wise - I had many Realforce keyboards in the past so I like topre all the way. This new hhkb looks better than one I had in the past, which was pretty old pro2. First - mods are lubed I think as they do sounds pretty ok. 45g is not my thing, always had 55g topre, but for learning to touch type, 45gh might be better choice. Last time I used topre was about 2-3 years ago, so using one now is amazing - sounds sooo nice :)
clicky clack clicky clack :D

Spacebar sounds really good! No rattling at all, amazing!!

Its so cool I can switch between wire to my pc and bluetooth on my phone. Nice addition.

I didn't go for type-s and I'm glad I didn't. Those type-s always sounded to muffled to me. This classic sound is nice.

CTRL under capslock - is ok, I can say already is ok, won't be a problem to get used to. Same for backspace.
I think I'm gonna map tylde to be DEL on first layer, cause its driving me nuts I need to use Fn for Del.

Yes 100% - No 0%

285186-0

285188-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2022, 06:02:50 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 06:02:20 »
DAY 2

Jesus.... my head is freaking out, I took it to work today - while I really love the topre feeling, I'm VERY frustrated doing data work on this.
I did not realise how many key combos I do while working - CTRL, Shift, End, Home, arrows. All those I use a lot during data analysis, editing etc
My excitement about using 60% keyboard dropped drastically from 100% to 10%... :(
I dont know if this is going to work for me...

Yes 10% - No 90%

...I think I hit the wall today... :'(

When typing text is absolutely fine, then when editing, moving cursor from word to word, changing lines, jumping between things is just so annoying, using CTRL or shift with arrows feels so unnatural, uncomfortable, it gives me headache, literally my head hurts after today's work.
I love how topre switches feel like, how they sound, its so smooth and nice clicking noise. Caps are nice. Size of this keyboard is absolutely amazing, it looks so beautiful.
But moving around words or lines - this is killing the whole experience. At this stage I do not think that this will improve, I seriously don't think I can get used to it.

I envy all of you who uses hhkb for coding or text editing, as I cannot image how hard was to get used to those navigation combos. I don't see myself learning it. 30 years of using TKL of full board must have engraved those moves in my hands.
Only solution I see is to return this and get Realforce R2 TKL 55g. Something I had in the past and liked it. This would give me that sound and feel of topre without making any more sacrifices...
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 April 2022, 06:23:15 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 04:22:50 »
DAY 3

Yes 20% - No 80%

It felt a bit better, but thing is I didn't not do much of editing, so wasn't annoyed by those key combos.
I have a feeling that I may be able to get used to it after a long use, like months and months, but long term, would it be something I want to achieve?
I started to think that apart from work, I rarely use those arrows for example - mostly use mouse for stuff. gaming also is not affected by it.
I'm thinking, I could have hhkb for most of the time and still have one TKL if I feel overwhelmed by the combos.
But then again, if I think about it, does it mean that I'm not up for it? Maybe hhkb isn't for me, entirely?

Does anyone here uses hhkb for work, like coding or text editing?

Offline phinix

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 17:46:21 »
DAY 4

Yes 25% - No 75%

It was again not so much productive day, so didn't use hhkb a lot.
I know now that ideally I would prefer Realforce 87u 55g, then hhkb.
I feel that I'm still not at the point where hhkb could be one of my favourite layouts.

EDIT:

DAY 8

After a week of using hhkb... I failed. Couldn't get used to arrows - it was too much to use arrows and CTRL, shift etc when editing text.
I LOVE this keyboard so much, its so pretty, amazing feeling, size. However those more cmplex arrows combos were too much for me :(
I like to think that it was too soon for me, maybe once I master touch typing I'll get back to hhkb and will use it eventually, but it wasn't teh time just now   :'(
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2022, 06:45:54 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 16:42:08 »
OK... right...
I feel terrible to be honest.
I don't know why but I feel broken since I returned my hhkb.
This is weird, I had it for over a week, loved that little thing so much that now after returning it, I feel empty without it!
I seriously cannot stand any of my keyboards - I so much loved it looks and feel.
ONLY thing I hated was those key combinations I need during work - arrows, Home, End with combination with shift or CTRL. It was so annoying that I had to press few more keys to achieve what I could instantly do on TKL, that I decided to return it. Now I regret it.
Every time now when using TKL at work, I miss my CTRL and Backspace from hhkb layout.

I seriously never felt anything like that to any keyboard I had in the past.
Is that weird or what?
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2022, 16:45:06 by phinix »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 17:13:26 »
Is that weird or what?
Not weird at all. It really is an incredible little thing. It beats almost anything I've had, out of 100+ boards.

Buy it again. Spend longer getting used to the arrows, or buy a separate arrow pad or something.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline phinix

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 05:14:46 »
Is that weird or what?
Not weird at all. It really is an incredible little thing. It beats almost anything I've had, out of 100+ boards.

Buy it again. Spend longer getting used to the arrows, or buy a separate arrow pad or something.

Hmm... maybe you are right.

Something like this?

I didn't know it existed.

After having like 5 years break from Topre, I'm really fed up with trying to make mx stabilisers work perfectly and all those mx switches.
Tried this hhkb for days and loved how it felt again. Maybe a tad too light, 55g would be better, but this is something we can easily mod nowadays, with all this stuff Deskeys make (domes, sliders).

I was surprised how fast I adopted new CTRL, backspace and del position. Amazing. Now I hate how they are positioned on regular TKL!
I need to think about it again, deeply, and make a decision if I should go back to hhkb.
I still don't like how PFU solved mapping on Hybrid version. Its only actual keys you can re-map, nothign else, no extra macros or anything.
If you can do this, why not macros?
Any why only Hybrid? Why not give mapping to regular, classic version?
I only need to remap top right to be Del, not on 2nd layer, but 1st.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 April 2022, 05:20:11 by phinix »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 11:29:03 »
Aye something like that would work. I have something very similar with Aristotle switches, which are lovely, which I've been thinking of selling too:

https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline phinix

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 11:52:44 »
Aye something like that would work. I have something very similar with Aristotle switches, which are lovely, which I've been thinking of selling too:

Show Image

Interesting, how much would you like to get for it?
Is that ps/2?

Offline phinix

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 06:17:06 »
Did you guys see that new Hipro caps sets on kbdfans? They are at interest check stage, but they look lovely!

« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2022, 06:35:06 by phinix »

Offline selsik

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 07:41:16 »
This was a nice thread. I've been considering getting an HHKB myself, but facing plenty of doubt precisely for the same concerns. Ctrl placement, arrow combos, etc.

I already have a Realforce R2 so I keep wondering if it's worth getting another Topre board that essentially sounds and feels the same way, but with less keys.
Topre >>> MX

Offline phinix

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 10:24:13 »
This was a nice thread. I've been considering getting an HHKB myself, but facing plenty of doubt precisely for the same concerns. Ctrl placement, arrow combos, etc.

I already have a Realforce R2 so I keep wondering if it's worth getting another Topre board that essentially sounds and feels the same way, but with less keys.

Well, let me tell you what has been happening with my hhkb adventure:)

So, after I returned it, I felt heart broken :) I missed it so much, that I decided to get it again.
So, found few good ebay auctions that were selling them cheaper than on amazon and bought.. TWO hhkbs  :eek:
Both Hybrid, one white Type-s, second black regular hybrid.
I DO NOT like Type-s, it feels like crap, like I would pressing caps on sand or flour. I love regular feel, so what I decided is: I'm swapping sliders from black to white, so I would have nice plain classic feel. Selling type-s sliders with original rings and black caps. Then getting Deskeys mx sliders and black hhkb will be modded for mx caps.

For next couple of months I will be trying to convince my brain that dedicated arrows are not required and will try to learn hhkb arrows position on second layer.
CTRL, Del, Backspace - these are amazing, I mean it feels a lot better than regular TKL layout.
Only when I start editing text or code, arrows and Home and End being on second layer are annoying for me - time will tell, if I manage to learn it and win this fight with my old brain  :thumb:

P.S. Anyone want original Type-s sliders with rings and black hhkb caps? Its up for sale :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 06:17:03 »
I failed. Again :(

I can't believe how this supposed to be keyboard for programmers - how do they use this with arrows and Home, End, when they need to jump around lines or words...
This is so hard to do simple jumps, I just couldn't handle it anymore...

Edit:
my perfect hhkb :)

286334-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 May 2022, 08:28:10 by phinix »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 12:14:38 »
I had quite a few HHKBs over the last 10 years. My fav for feels alone was the pro 2. I hate silenced because I do believe it changes the feel and feedback my brain desires. The plastic case mount provides the ideal amount of tactility with a 45g topre.

Once I started school again, I thought that there was no way I'd get through psych stats, endless research, etc with one. I dumped it and got a few R2s. I had already sold my 55g and 45g RFs a long time ago when I didn't like how my hands felt on the plate and being a button-masher.

After getting into school and my brain back into it, I was like **** it... I must just go back to the HHKB. I now have two hybrids and a laptop. I love the BT for portability and using the various PCs I have set up for different reasons around my house and my mom's office. I thought I'd always be a wired guy. I could give a **** less that the battery compartment looks "ugly" or whatever people say; it is smart to be able to keep the thing alive without thinking about charging and **** with an internal battery.

I'll get a pro 2 back one day just for the sake of it, but for now, I'm crushing school, hopefully starting a psychiatrist assistant internship soon, and just have that great feeling typing on the damn things. I can't wait to get the job and be like "one condition... you have to let me bring in this tiny little weird keyboard"....
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline phinix

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 06:24:23 »
I had quite a few HHKBs over the last 10 years. My fav for feels alone was the pro 2. I hate silenced because I do believe it changes the feel and feedback my brain desires. The plastic case mount provides the ideal amount of tactility with a 45g topre.

Once I started school again, I thought that there was no way I'd get through psych stats, endless research, etc with one. I dumped it and got a few R2s. I had already sold my 55g and 45g RFs a long time ago when I didn't like how my hands felt on the plate and being a button-masher.

After getting into school and my brain back into it, I was like **** it... I must just go back to the HHKB. I now have two hybrids and a laptop. I love the BT for portability and using the various PCs I have set up for different reasons around my house and my mom's office. I thought I'd always be a wired guy. I could give a **** less that the battery compartment looks "ugly" or whatever people say; it is smart to be able to keep the thing alive without thinking about charging and **** with an internal battery.

I'll get a pro 2 back one day just for the sake of it, but for now, I'm crushing school, hopefully starting a psychiatrist assistant internship soon, and just have that great feeling typing on the damn things. I can't wait to get the job and be like "one condition... you have to let me bring in this tiny little weird keyboard"....

Same here, I prefer classic sound, type-s for me sounds harsh and feels mushy af.

How do you like using arrows, home, end?
Depends on what kind of work you do, but even in school, when you edit text, jump between words, using CTRL+arrow or home, end - isn't it frustrating for you to use second layer?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 17:20:20 »
this was a roller coaster.  I love how you bought, sold, rebought 2x, then gave up again. lol.   I just bought a hhkb this week to use with my MacBook for on the go.  I am already use to the layout besides the arrow keys... which I don't use too much?  I never use end and home etc. I am a coder and a sys admin by trade and I have been using 60% and ergo doxes for over a decade. when I learn to use a new keyboard layout or keyboard I do so on company time. that way I get paid. sure I may type a little slower but at the end of the day I keep at it and then I know it.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Polymer

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 18 May 2022, 18:25:11 »

DING DING DING!  Exactly....

Offline phinix

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 02:57:01 »
this was a roller coaster.  I love how you bought, sold, rebought 2x, then gave up again. lol.   I just bought a hhkb this week to use with my MacBook for on the go.  I am already use to the layout besides the arrow keys... which I don't use too much?  I never use end and home etc. I am a coder and a sys admin by trade and I have been using 60% and ergo doxes for over a decade. when I learn to use a new keyboard layout or keyboard I do so on company time. that way I get paid. sure I may type a little slower but at the end of the day I keep at it and then I know it.

I know, I feel like I'm brain washed.
When I switched back to TKL, I kept hitting Capslock for CTRL and Backspace for Del... :rolleyes:

Guess what... I'm planning to buy one.. again... this time Pro3 Classic non Type-S and hack it, as apparently I don't need Hybrid to be able to remap. Classics can be remapped after you edit HHKB software to let Classic be visible.

Reason I want one anyway is the way they feel when typing. I had many Topre in last 20 years, but hhkb having plastic plate/top, sounds and feels differently.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 19 May 2022, 12:02:09 »
I was interested in the HHKB layout but I'm more interested in the Topre feel and have since been hunting for a steal on a RF 87 or 104 key. I have attempted to use a 60% at work but it was more of a hinderance than just using a TKL/Fullsize for my workflow (my 60 & 65%'s stay at home).

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline phinix

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 24 May 2022, 19:29:24 »
Did you guys see that new Hipro caps sets on kbdfans? They are at interest check stage, but they look lovely!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

OK, these are now out, I ordered them.
Now, there is no other way than just go and order HHKB... again!  :eek:

Offline phinix

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 15:45:06 »
**** me...

286922-0

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 14:36:56 »
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline phinix

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 03:06:22 »
**** me...

(Attachment Link)

bahahahaha omg dude

Yeah... I'm a prisoner of HHKB ;)

I just cannot not have one :D

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 21:23:46 »
Enjoy the HHKB. Whatever you do, don't open the keyboard up.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 23:40:39 »
as other mentioned the arrows and F rows are fine.  had one over 5-7 years before selling it here.  such a great keyboard but unfort doest fit my gaming needs.

Offline phinix

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 03:00:44 »
Enjoy the HHKB. Whatever you do, don't open the keyboard up.

Dude, I'm a modder, I open EVERYTHING :p

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 08:08:22 »
It only took me about 2 days to learn, though I did use the dip switches so Delete is Backspace and the Alt and System keys are swapped since it felt like I had to do finger gymnastics to hit the Alt in its default position. Overall I really like this layout and I use my HHKB Pro Classic any time I'm working on something/chatting. The Ctrl position just feels so much more natural, I actually switched my other keyboards to have the Ctrl in that position haha. In games where you press Ctrl to crouch it feels way more comfortable and easy to reach, it's actually improved my movement quite a bit in FPS games!
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline phinix

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 16 September 2022, 08:16:21 »
It only took me about 2 days to learn, though I did use the dip switches so Delete is Backspace and the Alt and System keys are swapped since it felt like I had to do finger gymnastics to hit the Alt in its default position. Overall I really like this layout and I use my HHKB Pro Classic any time I'm working on something/chatting. The Ctrl position just feels so much more natural, I actually switched my other keyboards to have the Ctrl in that position haha. In games where you press Ctrl to crouch it feels way more comfortable and easy to reach, it's actually improved my movement quite a bit in FPS games!

Yeah, hhkb is amazing, till the time where I need to edit text and use arrows a lot - then its f***ing pain in the ass  :'(

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 11 October 2022, 07:48:25 »

Yeah, hhkb is amazing, till the time where I need to edit text and use arrows a lot - then its f***ing pain in the ass  :'(

If your HHKB is a reprogrammable one or you have an aftermarket controller you can try swapping arrow keys on the second layer to WASD. I can't do it on mine because I have a Pro Classic but I do it on all my other keyboards that don't have dedicated arrows. That way you can just do FN + WASD for arrows.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D