Author Topic: Considering Ergodox EZ  (Read 15622 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Considering Ergodox EZ
« on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 05:05:43 »
Hey guys.
For my whole life I've been using TKL keyboards.
Lately, I looked at ergo keyboards and really liked the look and functionality of Ergodox EZ.

Would you suggest Ergodox EZ as a first ergo board?
I would prefer to buy it as a barebone and add my won switches and caps. In the shop it doesn't let me buy it without them...

Can Ergodox EZ users please let me know your opinions on that setup?
Pros and cons.
Also, is it hard to switch to ortholinear?
I have never used ergo boards, but have a feeling that tinted keyboard will feel amazing, not sure about split, but maybe as well?

(pt4, I hope you will chime in as our ergo lover ;))
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2020, 05:26:24 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Findecanor

Re: Considering Ergodox EZ
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 08:27:36 »
The ErgoDox had been developed by Dox and bpihany on this board, with input from the community and the design released as Open Source. Most ErgoDoxen in the beginning were sold as DIY kits, and several companies still sell loose PCBs and/or cases.
ErgoDox EZ is more or less that design pre-assembled with a fancier case and warranty.

A more recent clone (same layout but not 100% compatible with other parts) is the Hot Dox. Everything on it comes soldered except switches, which fit in Kailh hotswapping-sockets. There is a barebones option that I think would fit what you are looking for.

The ErgoDox is merely "columnar", not "ortholinear": the columns are somewhat shifted against one-another; rows and columns are not orthogonal to one-another.
There are a few DIY keyboards that do look a lot like the ErgoDox except that they do have ortholinear alphanumeric keys, and you might have seen some of those somewhere too.
There are lots of other DIY columnar ergo keyboards out there that are more or less inspired by the ErgoDox and many of them are attempts to improve on the ErgoDox's thumb section: it has been criticised for having the thumb-keys too far out for small to medium-sized hands.

Learning to type on a columnar keyboard is easiest if you already know how to touch-type according to the method.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2020, 04:30:35 by Findecanor »

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 07:36:29 »
The ErgoDox had been developed by Dox and bpihany on this board, with input from the community and the design released as Open Source. Most ErgoDoxen in the beginning were sold as DIY kits, and several companies still sell loose PCBs and/or cases.
ErgoDox EZ is more or less that design pre-assembled with a fancier case and warranty.

A more recent clone (same layout but not 100% compatible with other parts) is the Hot Dox. Everything on it comes soldered except switches, which fit in Kailh hotswapping-sockets. There is a barebones option that I think would fit what you are looking for.

The ErgoDox is merely "columnar", not "ortholinear": the columns are somewhat shifted against one-another; rows and columns are not orthogonal to one-another.
There are a few DIY keyboards that do look a lot like the ErgoDox except that they have ortholinear alphanumeric keys, and you might have seen some somewhere.
There are lots of other DIY columnar ergo keyboards out there that are more or less inspired by the ErgoDox and many of them are attempts to improve on the ErgoDox's thumb section: it has been criticised for having the thumb-keys too far out for small to medium-sized hands.

Learning to type on a columnar keyboard is easiest if you already know how to touch-type according to the method.

Aah, thanks for this introduction to world of ergodox:), explains a lot.

I'm a bit scared to try these out, spend lot of money and end up with it not being able to get used to it.
How long does it take to learn touch type on these?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 04:04:50 »
If you already touch-type properly and use the new board exclusively, it shouldn’t take long. I switched from regular boards first to the MS Sculpt (which is split, but otherwise normal) and then to the Kinesis Advantage. The switch to the Sculpt was totally painless, the switch to the Kinesis (which should be comparable to the Ergodox) slowed me down a little for the first ten days or so (because I had to correct more mistakes), but I could use it in the office right away.

Things might be different if your job depends on being able to type lightning-fast all day, but whose job does? In such a case, it might be a good idea to practice with the new board during vacation or your free time before bringing it to work.

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 04:12:06 »
If you already touch-type properly and use the new board exclusively, it shouldn’t take long. I switched from regular boards first to the MS Sculpt (which is split, but otherwise normal) and then to the Kinesis Advantage. The switch to the Sculpt was totally painless, the switch to the Kinesis (which should be comparable to the Ergodox) slowed me down a little for the first ten days or so (because I had to correct more mistakes), but I could use it in the office right away.

Things might be different if your job depends on being able to type lightning-fast all day, but whose job does? In such a case, it might be a good idea to practice with the new board during vacation or your free time before bringing it to work.

I don't touch type, that's the thing. It may take time to learn it on Ergodox.
You're right, I would definitely need to practice at home before bringing it to work.

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 04:51:18 »
If you don’t touch type, the Ergodox (or any ortholinear or column-staggered board) may be a good choice to learn on, because every key on the top and bottom rows is directly above/below a key on the home row. That might make it easier to remember where everything is. When I learned touch typing, I taped a printout of the keyboard layout to my screen, so I didn’t have to look at the keys, I can recommend that approach.

Offline vatin

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 20:31:25 »
Edit: Redundant
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 April 2020, 10:16:29 by vatin »
OLKB Planck V6

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 05:56:09 »
Hey guys.
For my whole life I've been using TKL keyboards.
Lately, I looked at ergo keyboards and really liked the look and functionality of Ergodox EZ.

Would you suggest Ergodox EZ as a first ergo board?
I would prefer to buy it as a barebone and add my won switches and caps. In the shop it doesn't let me buy it without them...

Can Ergodox EZ users please let me know your opinions on that setup?
Pros and cons.
Also, is it hard to switch to ortholinear?
I have never used ergo boards, but have a feeling that tinted keyboard will feel amazing, not sure about split, but maybe as well?

(pt4, I hope you will chime in as our ergo lover ;))

keyboard.io is better in term of ergonomic. I have both of them.

Do you mean that model 01?
What is better with it than EZ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 08:57:21 »
You buy Ergodox,   Then you play Typing of the Dead (2000) for 20 minutes every day.. Get supR fast speed within 3 months. Free on Abandonware.

Don't buy TOTD Overkill, game's too slow.

The key to a good ergodox Xperience, is TENTING.   Raising the inner edge of the ergodox to suit your wrist angle.

IDEALLY, you want 70 Degrees, but this is impossible unless on a much thinner keyboard.  On the Ergodox 55 Degrees tenting is the maximum.

This angle will not suit all seated positions.  It is dependent on your (Resting Elbow) height relative to the height of the typing surface.

The higher the elbow is above the keyboard's plain, the closer you can get to 55Degrees of tenting. This is approximately ~3 inches above the table where the keyboard sits.

NOW, This is not going to work for every seated position. You will in the end adjust accordingly.

TENTING is critical, for Ergodox, or any other split keyboard use.

To find the right angle for your use position, just put books under neath the inner edge until it feels right. From then you can cut some wood to make a wedge with double sided tape, OR you can do something more elaborate.

The ergodox EZ comes with the built in feet, but they take up space between the keyboards (where you can use for mousing) and they don't tent very high.

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 09:36:19 »
You buy Ergodox,   Then you play Typing of the Dead (2000) for 20 minutes every day.. Get supR fast speed within 3 months. Free on Abandonware.

Don't buy TOTD Overkill, game's too slow.

The key to a good ergodox Xperience, is TENTING.   Raising the inner edge of the ergodox to suit your wrist angle.

IDEALLY, you want 70 Degrees, but this is impossible unless on a much thinner keyboard.  On the Ergodox 55 Degrees tenting is the maximum.

This angle will not suit all seated positions.  It is dependent on your (Resting Elbow) height relative to the height of the typing surface.

The higher the elbow is above the keyboard's plain, the closer you can get to 55Degrees of tenting. This is approximately ~3 inches above the table where the keyboard sits.

NOW, This is not going to work for every seated position. You will in the end adjust accordingly.

TENTING is critical, for Ergodox, or any other split keyboard use.

To find the right angle for your use position, just put books under neath the inner edge until it feels right. From then you can cut some wood to make a wedge with double sided tape, OR you can do something more elaborate.

The ergodox EZ comes with the built in feet, but they take up space between the keyboards (where you can use for mousing) and they don't tent very high.

tp, do you use ergodox? white or black?
What caps do you use on it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 13:54:05 »
tp, do you use ergodox? white or black?
What caps do you use on it?

Tp4 am Gekhak's most Prolific/Outspoken Ergodox Warrior.

Tp4 uses Blank Grey/Beige PBTs in Cherry Profile. Labeled sets don't make much sense for Egdx, because you'll have to make a custom layout.

No Need to limit yourself to the Ergodox though, there are many split solutions out now that would work just as well.

In general, Tp4 feels that more buttons is easier to use than fewer. It's the same with HHKB, yea you can use it, but it gets in the way quite often.

Offline vatin

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 05 April 2020, 10:01:13 »
I heavily use both Ergodox EZ and Keyboardio Model 01. Between the 2, the Model 01 is better designed and quite a bit more ergonomic. I'll choose the Model 01 over the Ergodox. See review here http://xahlee.info/kbd/keyboard.io_model_01.html

The maker of Keyboardio has phased out Model 01, and will replace with Model 100, which has the same design but use Cherry switch instead of Matias switch in Model 01. I will surely get the Model 100 once it's available.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 03:07:02 »
I heavily use both Ergodox EZ and Keyboardio Model 01. Between the 2, the Model 01 is better designed and quite a bit more ergonomic. I'll choose the Model 01 over the Ergodox. See review here http://xahlee.info/kbd/keyboard.io_model_01.html

The maker of Keyboardio has phased out Model 01, and will replace with Model 100, which has the same design but use Cherry switch instead of Matias switch in Model 01. I will surely get the Model 100 once it's available.

Ah, that Model01, its pretty exciting. Pity they sold out all of those, but if Model100 is coming this year, it might be first ergo I'll buy.

I'm only concerned about the tenting - those octalegs are a bit iffy. I want to make ergo board to stand at highier angle.
As TP said, tenting is a key - I can imagine importance of that, to bring your rist angle to more natural position.
I hope they come up with different solution for it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 05:10:36 »

Tenting is easy if you haz a miter saw.

You just need a block of wood and some double sided tape.

It'd look much better if you plane and paint the wood, but that's not absolutely necessary.

Just cut the wood to approximately the right angle, and tape it to the base of the split keyboard.

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 06:15:51 »

Tenting is easy if you haz a miter saw.

You just need a block of wood and some double sided tape.

It'd look much better if you plane and paint the wood, but that's not absolutely necessary.

Just cut the wood to approximately the right angle, and tape it to the base of the split keyboard.

What is the optimum angle for these?

Can you show a pic of your setup? I'd love to see it :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 April 2020, 12:25:12 »

What is the optimum angle for these?

Can you show a pic of your setup? I'd love to see it :D

Tp4 setup iz Top secrete.

But it can be vouched for by the lucky few insiders who've seen it.

Tp4 uses the Original massdrop Ergodox, which has the full depth screwholes.

Beneath which Tp4 tents using 100mm+50mm long m3 bolts with m3 couplers as legs for tenting.

There is no optimum angle, it's going to be different depending on the height of table/chair/sitting position/slouching/ no slouching.

You want to tent as high as possible,  the neutral angle for the wrist is ~70 degrees, the more the better, but it won't work for all arrangements.

Tp4 is using a standing desk,  elbow rests flat against body-trunk. With the elbow bent at 90 degrees parallel to the table,  The table which the ergodox rests upon is ~3 inches beneath the elbow.

Float wrist for typing, wrist rest used for gaming.  (