Author Topic: Newly-implemented changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!  (Read 98915 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Newly-implemented changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:24:31 »

I have tried posting to the classifieds three times now, and it still is not showing up!  :'(

Maybe you are doing it wrong.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:26:33 »
I have tried posting to the classifieds three times now, and it still is not showing up!  :'(

Your post is not there to approve.  Are you sure it went through?  Try posting it without images, then if it goes through, edit and add your images.  Your attachments might be too large.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #302 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:29:14 »

Your post is not there to approve.  Are you sure it went through?  Try posting it without images, then if it goes through, edit and add your images.  Your attachments might be too large.

Wouldn't that negate the entire purpose of having to have it approved?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #303 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:31:18 »

?  You can post end edit your own post--that's before the approval stage.

Offline rockhawksam

• I'm a big dirty **** Hawk
    • tanglingstars.com
« Reply #304 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:33:09 »

Would it be acceptable for me to just add them as imgur links? I realize now that they are too large for the in post picture viewer

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #305 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:34:07 »

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you were saying....:D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #306 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:39:45 »
Would it be acceptable for me to just add them as imgur links? I realize now that they are too large for the in post picture viewer

You can post them as links.  But there should be an option in imgur to edit the photographs to reduce the size too.

And finally, when you post and wish to make your image thumbnails a certain size, you can just write
Code: [Select]
[img width=500]link.jpg[/img]
instead of
Code: [Select]
[img][/img]
to limit the size by setting a maximum width (500 pixels in the example above).

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #307 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 15:33:39 »
note that there is an odd bug we've been working on with linked images where you receive a 504 gateway time out as a response to your post. however, the post will almost always successfully post despite the timeout on the client end. if you get a timeout, check the forum to see if your post made it up before trying to post again.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #308 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:50:44 »
Maybe we should do a sub forum for clacks. I swear every other thread is "[WTB] MX clacks"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #309 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 06:43:36 »
Maybe we should do a sub forum for clacks. I swear every other thread is "[WTB] MX clacks"

Don't forget brobots,bingecaps, gasmasks , nubbinator cap, kbk caps, dogy caps, hammer caps and now we even have pacifist caps, if I left anyone out I'm sorry but there are a ton of cap makers here now.

You would almost have to have a novelty cap subforum then people would want a key cap set subforum, keyboard subforum, cable subforum, etc, etc...where does it stop! ;)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #310 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:51:02 »
I know I was half serious but it does get annoying. Novelty, keyset and keyboard sections are not a bad idea. But whatever.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #311 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:15:08 »

Don't forget brobots,bingecaps, gasmasks , nubbinator cap, kbk caps, dogy caps, hammer caps and now we even have pacifist caps, if I left anyone out I'm sorry but there are a ton of cap makers here now.

You would almost have to have a novelty cap subforum then people would want a key cap set subforum, keyboard subforum, cable subforum, etc, etc...where does it stop! ;)

A simpler division would be one WTS subforum, one WTB, and one WTT.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline divito

« Reply #312 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:23:42 »

My earlier idea that was crapped on. I still support this idea; would make going to classifieds far better than clicking the two or three WTS threads on the first page.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #313 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:28:11 »
Thats a pretty good idea IMHO. Would make it way easier to navigate.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #314 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:31:48 »

My earlier idea that was crapped on. I still support this idea; would make going to classifieds far better than clicking the two or three WTS threads on the first page.

And much easier to ignore all those WTT and WTB threads that no one reads, anyway, right?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #315 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 15:41:24 »
And much easier to ignore all those WTT and WTB threads that no one reads, anyway, right?

People read them :) But a separate spot for them isn't a bad idea. :)

Offline t2russo

« Reply #316 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 16:01:10 »
I have mixed feelings about WTB threads.  My personal one, and others I have seen, have been very successful in acquiring items that weren't listed originally because the lists were really specific.  I've also seen threads go months without any action despite the person being willing to take anything.

I feel like a lot of WTB threads could go without being bumped if people posted regularly enough and had their WTB linked in their signature.  That way, can keep their list around and visible without regular bumpage.  I like my personal little thread and think it's cute, but I'm looking for something that is ridiculously uncommon and I'm not sure the best way to get exposure for my search.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #317 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 21:42:53 »

I do not really have anything to trade or sell, hence reading WTB and WTT threads will avail me nothing.

But I do like to glance through the WTS threads occasionally.

Lately it seems there are more WTB/WTT threads than WTS, and this makes casual browsing tiresome.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #318 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 21:44:43 »

This x1000000, please separate WTS with WTB/WTT

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #319 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 21:49:21 »
I kind of agree, I have seen numerous threads where it seems the person purposely makes the title misleading to get you to click on it.

For example, something like this.

[WTS/WTB Clacks, Dolch, KMAC]

and when you click on their thread, the OP reads

WTB: Clacks, Dolch, KMAC
WTS: Nothing right now

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 21:53:17 »
I kind of agree, I have seen numerous threads where it seems the person purposely makes the title misleading to get you to click on it.

For example, something like this.

[WTS/WTB Clacks, Dolch, KMAC]

and when you click on their thread, the OP reads

WTB: Clacks, Dolch, KMAC
WTS: Nothing right now
Yeah, I've seen quite a few of these.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #321 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 06:58:29 »
The classified rules are so long that I do not even bother to read them.  I recommend trimming it down.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Moderation Team

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 18:25:55 »
  • Creating sale / trade threads in the Classifieds subforum is limited to Geekhack.org users who have been members of the forum for at least 2 months and have 25 or higher post count.
This should now be implemented as intended (changed from 60 posts only).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #323 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:47:17 »
Do not create more than two active Classifieds threads at any one time. 

Is this intended to have say a WTB and a WTS thread separately or can I have 2 WTS or 2 WTB threads etc?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #324 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 11:50:35 »
I know which posts you're talking about.  It's a pretty rare case when someone's trying to buy so much random stuff that it takes 2 threads to list it all more cleanly.  Normally it should be at most two threads where their nature is different enough and they can't all fit into a single thread.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #325 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:48:30 »
A better moderator post in a situation such as that would be something like this:

It has come to the attention of the moderating staff that you currently have two (or more) Classifieds threads which seems to violate the new rules for Classifieds. Please review the rules and your threads. If you agree that your threads violate the new rules, please consolidate them and lock the rest. If you disagree, please contact me via PM to state your case. Thank you, and have a good day.

Also, you could use some anchors in that thread to point out the specific rule being broken (talk to CPTBadAss if you don't know how, or Google). Coming into someone's thread and just throwing yourself around is a bit rude. Do moderators even review the case at hand before speaking?

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #326 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:01:35 »
Also, you could use some anchors in that thread to point out the specific rule being broken (talk to CPTBadAss if you don't know how, or Google). Coming into someone's thread and just throwing yourself around is a bit rude. Do moderators even review the case at hand before speaking?

Not to mention that discussing forum rules in a sale thread, is technically prohibited by the Classified rules.

Discussion in sale threads
All discussion in the Classifieds threads should be limited to direct questions regarding items for sale/trade, shipping & handling inquiries, or relevant polite and constructive comments about sellers (such as if you suspect a dishonest seller) and prices, and corresponding answers.

/snark

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #327 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:46:23 »
Coming into someone's thread and just throwing yourself around is a bit rude.

Practice what you preach and maybe your words will warrant merit.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #328 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:47:17 »
Coming into someone's thread and just throwing yourself around is a bit rude.

Practice what you preach and maybe your words will warrant merit.

Ah, but I'm not a moderator. I don't hold myself to not being rude. I know what I am, just as everyone else here does.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #329 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:50:38 »
The staff here would never make me a moderator because of the way I act. Therefore, it leads to the fact that moderators should not act as I do.

Trying to discredit the truth I speak based on how I act is foolish.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #330 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:11:01 »
Isn't moderation supposed to be impartial and unbiased?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #331 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:14:26 »

Ideally, shouldn't everything be impartial and unbiased?
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline irendulic

« Reply #332 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:17:06 »
  • Creating sale / trade threads in the Classifieds subforum is limited to Geekhack.org users who have been members of the forum for at least 2 months and have 25 or higher post count.
This should now be implemented as intended (changed from 60 posts only).

Hi,

I still don't have the option to open threads in classifieds but according to new rules I should. Anyone having the same problem?
EDIT: It's fine now, thanks :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:21:15 by irendulic »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #333 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 15:22:59 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #334 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 20:10:38 »
So when we post a new classifieds thread should we be able to see it as pending?? I just tried posting one and I'm not even seeing it as pending or anything.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #335 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 20:45:56 »
So when we post a new classifieds thread should we be able to see it as pending?? I just tried posting one and I'm not even seeing it as pending or anything.

I don't think your post went through.  Could you try re-posting?  If it's got large images that you're trying to attach at the same time, try posting without the image file attachments and then going back and editing to add them.  There seems to be a bug when making a post with images over a certain (relatively small) size.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #336 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 21:19:29 »

I don't think your post went through.  Could you try re-posting?  If it's got large images that you're trying to attach at the same time, try posting without the image file attachments and then going back and editing to add them.  There seems to be a bug when making a post with images over a certain (relatively small) size.

Yeah I had to load one photo at a time...weird.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #337 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 08:59:40 »
Just out of curiousity, is there a recommended way to remove photos from an ad?  I usually post 4-5 pictures per item, and once it's sold I use the Hide Content button to smallify everything before moving the item description text block to a Sold section.  But all of the pictures are still there, and when I add more photos the list is pretty huge.

I've had some bad experiences in the past when I tried to remove photos; sometimes it scrambled the order of pictures in the ad, so I had to cut and paste a lot; other times it resulted in a series of little images at the bottom of my post.  If I select the (Clear Attachment) button, will the rest of the sale thread stay unmolested?  Or does that re-order the numbers assigned to images as well?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #338 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:02:26 »
Just out of curiousity, is there a recommended way to remove photos from an ad?  I usually post 4-5 pictures per item, and once it's sold I use the Hide Content button to smallify everything before moving the item description text block to a Sold section.  But all of the pictures are still there, and when I add more photos the list is pretty huge.

I've had some bad experiences in the past when I tried to remove photos; sometimes it scrambled the order of pictures in the ad, so I had to cut and paste a lot; other times it resulted in a series of little images at the bottom of my post.  If I select the (Clear Attachment) button, will the rest of the sale thread stay unmolested?  Or does that re-order the numbers assigned to images as well?

You can unselect the check box next to the photos you no longer need just be careful as to witch ones you remove and remove the link to it in the add itself.

65524-0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #339 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:15:38 »
Deleting an image does change the numbers of the pictures. But the text indicating which picture in your post doesn't change accordingly, so you have to run through and change them all.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #340 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:16:51 »

You can unselect the check box next to the photos you no longer need just be careful as to witch ones you remove and remove the link to it in the add itself.

(Attachment Link)

Thanks, I'll give that a try!  Will this still keep the full list of images in the thread, just not displayed? 

Since the requirement is to only modify the first post in the sale thread, I've now got 76 images attached to that single post.  At some point I'm going to exceed the total attachment size, so I'm trying to crop a few images from the list before that happens.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #341 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:19:07 »
Use imgur for image hosting...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #342 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:21:01 »

a resounding no
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:35:34 »
Use imgur for image hosting...

My company firewall blocks imgur, DropBox, and similar sites, so I don't use them for my classifieds thread.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #344 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:37:17 »
Deleting an image does change the numbers of the pictures. But the text indicating which picture in your post doesn't change accordingly, so you have to run through and change them all.

Yeah with as many as he has that could be a real PIA....

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:42:47 »

Yeah with as many as he has that could be a real PIA....

Indeed.

At this point I'm not going to change anything, I'll just keep posting pictures as I have so far.  If the thread runs out of space I'll close it and start a new one.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #346 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 09:58:02 »
You should just close it now and start a fresh one anyway. No need to make people load a hundred pictures to see one or two.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 10:03:16 »
You should just close it now and start a fresh one anyway. No need to make people load a hundred pictures to see one or two.

Don't we already do that every time we look at the What Did You Get In The Mail thread, or What Did You Add to Your Keyboard?

Besides, I'm not at 100 images yet.  The only reason I asked how to best edit the thread is because most items are actually in the Sold section, so people must be finding them without too much trouble.   ;D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 10:17:46 »
Yes and no. When you look in those threads, you only look at the most recent page. And there's a lot of chatter in there, not every post is pictures. So there aren't that many pictures on one page. Whereas a sale thread, you have to look at the first page every time to see what's changed.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #349 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 10:38:48 »
Yes and no. When you look in those threads, you only look at the most recent page. And there's a lot of chatter in there, not every post is pictures. So there aren't that many pictures on one page. Whereas a sale thread, you have to look at the first page every time to see what's changed.

That is a good point, as my sale listing is still just one page I hadn't thought much of it.  Do you know if all the images auto-load, even if they are "hidden" using the Hide Content Until Clicked option?  I just keep one picture per item, and hide the rest, as the list was getting ridiculously long.