Author Topic: Newly-implemented changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!  (Read 98305 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Newly-implemented changes to the Classifieds Rules. Please have a look!
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 10:49:49 »
They do load.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:08:05 »
  • Thread Titles:  Keep your thread titles up-to-date, modifying them as soon as any changes occur, whether you have sold an item in your listing or changed your mind on something you are looking to buy. Your thread title must reflect current information precisely.

So is this still being moderated because I'm seeing some threads where it says stuff or doesn't list everything or is not up to date

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #352 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 17:28:34 »
This post still says 60 days in the paragraph just before the big orange TL;DR.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 13:47:50 »
Is the Moderation Team finding the Classifieds approval process to be effective in the fight against inappropriate posts in the Classifieds?

I don't want to turn this into an argument but it's kind of annoying from my perspective. If it helps you guys out then I'm all for keeping it, it just seems like it would create more overhead approving each thread opposed to deleting the inappropriate thread topic.

It's the whole everyone else suffers because a few trolls messed it up for the good peeps imo.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #354 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:02:09 »
Is the Moderation Team finding the Classifieds approval process to be effective in the fight against inappropriate posts in the Classifieds?

I don't want to turn this into an argument but it's kind of annoying from my perspective. If it helps you guys out then I'm all for keeping it, it just seems like it would create more overhead approving each thread opposed to deleting the inappropriate thread topic.

It's the whole everyone else suffers because a few trolls messed it up for the good peeps imo.

I don't think there is much difference in effort between;

1. Reading a post, finding it inappropriate and then deleting it

versus

2. Reading a post to approve it, then pressing the approve button

:P

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:14:28 »

I don't think there is much difference in effort between;

1. Reading a post, finding it inappropriate and then deleting it

versus

2. Reading a post to approve it, then pressing the approve button

:P

Exactly!

There is a report feature that's supposed to work for all the other threads, why is it that the Classifieds has to be any different?

Offline t2russo

« Reply #356 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:17:51 »
wat.

I don't think it's about the difference in effort.  It's about making sure crap-posts never see the light of day. 

Deleting a post means it got to exist in the first place.  Rejecting it means no one but the mods have to lose braincells dealing with it.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:22:46 »
wat.

I don't think it's about the difference in effort.  It's about making sure crap-posts never see the light of day. 

Deleting a post means it got to exist in the first place.  Rejecting it means no one but the mods have to lose braincells dealing with it.

What I'm trying to determine is what makes the Classifieds section any different than any other Topic on the forums?

It's clearly documented that GH isn't responsible for any transactions gone wrong in the Classifieds section.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #358 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 14:27:49 »
wat.

I wasn't debating that - I was simply responding to digi's post (hence the quote) regarding amount of effort required for either situation.

:thumb:

Offline t2russo

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:09:18 »
I mean no beef, I just hate seeing ****posts.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:12:01 »
I mean no beef, I just hate seeing ****posts.

What do you mean?

Offline t2russo

« Reply #361 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:20:43 »
No pics, "not sure if I want to sell this or how much this is worth", taken with a potato, etc.

Verification photos and a real price on WTS threads are a pretty nice standard to aspire to. 

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #362 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:24:49 »
No pics, "not sure if I want to sell this or how much this is worth", taken with a potato, etc.

Verification photos and a real price on WTS threads are a pretty nice standard to aspire to. 

I think that's a great requirement, I'm all for it.

All I'm talking about is the approval process. If the post doesn't meet the requirements maybe the Mods can just delete it. This way people will be more conscious about what they're posting and at the same time the people who do follow the rules remain unaffected.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #363 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 15:39:27 »
For convenience, bad posts get light of day before a moderator gets to them.  For inconvenience, there would be no public existence of worthless posts.

The inconvenience in this case to you is just waiting.  The moderators either have to be constantly vigilant and catch bad posts as they come up, or they can have the task of reading through the brimming inbox of threads-to-approve (possibly why they buffed mod numbers recently?).

The fact I'm trying to point out is that if the moderators are doing their job PERFECTLY, we should never see the things they have to remove.   But this isn't a perfect world and the system they are currently using is erring on the side of preventing bad from coming through by slowing down the overall flow of content.   

It's fair to want things to be more convenient.  I just seem to be more sympathetic to the strategy currently in play, since I find the inconvenience of bad posts worse than a wait.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #364 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 18:35:07 »

I think that's a great requirement, I'm all for it.

All I'm talking about is the approval process. If the post doesn't meet the requirements maybe the Mods can just delete it. This way people will be more conscious about what they're posting and at the same time the people who do follow the rules remain unaffected.

But is it really that big of a deal to possibly wait a couple hours for your post to be approved? I mean if thats the big gripe it doesn't seem like its a big thing.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #365 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 22:37:55 »
We landed on requiring approval because deleting threads is too draconian and PMing people was a huge hassle and a timesuck, and was allowing the bad posts to remain up in the meantime.  I believe this happened before we had the ability to unapprove threads.  Might be worth revisiting now that we have that feature.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #366 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 22:47:12 »
We landed on requiring approval because deleting threads is too draconian and PMing people was a huge hassle and a timesuck, and was allowing the bad posts to remain up in the meantime.  I believe this happened before we had the ability to unapprove threads.  Might be worth revisiting now that we have that feature.

Thanks Hashbaz, it just seems that approving every thread in the classy's would be more overhead than just deleting the inappropriate threads.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 11:05:29 »

i only have a potato to take pics though =(

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #368 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 13:56:08 »

Even "potatoes" can take reasonable photographs in good light and with some thoughtful composition.  Unless you are holding a greasy fried potato in your hand and trying to take a photograph with that.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #369 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:08:37 »

Even "potatoes" can take reasonable photographs in good light and with some thoughtful composition.  Unless you are holding a greasy fried potato in your hand and trying to take a photograph with that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1v664olzn3q1mu5/2014-07-07%2001.05.54.jpg
potato =)
nah honestly the lighting in my room is bad, the CCFL is like yellowy.
The red is corvette candy red but it doesn't look the same =(

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #370 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:22:56 »
What is your guys stance on listing a price, and then asking for an OBO, with the sale expiring on a certain day?

Wouldn't that just be an auction?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #371 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:24:58 »
What is your guys stance on listing a price, and then asking for an OBO, with the sale expiring on a certain day?

Ebay BINs expire

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:26:43 »

Ebay BINs expire

This isn't eBay.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:29:56 »

#loophole

This isn't eBay.

QFT
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:32:05 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:30:45 »

to be fair, i just assume OBO is always in play.
Mainly because i list a price, 99% of the time someone's gonna try to negotiate down the price from my list price.
Would that be Auction style?  I've told people who have offered less than my list price that i wasn't gonna sell it at this time at their offer price.  I've done it before in other forums that after I get a few offers not at my list price, i'll go back to the highest offer and offer them the item.  Is that an auction or just the way a sale would go?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #375 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:32:10 »

Ebay BINs expire

This isn't eBay.

eBay is also an auction site...   :rolleyes:

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:33:38 »

Ebay BINs expire

This isn't eBay.

Ebay has BINs and Auctions. When you don't select auction and instead select BIN, you can still set a end date

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #377 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:34:53 »

Ebay BINs expire

This isn't eBay.

Ebay has BINs and Auctions. When you don't select auction and instead select BIN, you can still set a end date

Pretty sure we all know how eBay works, tyvm...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #378 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:38:40 »

Ebay BINs expire

This isn't eBay.

So go sell your stuff on eBay then.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #379 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:40:24 »

So go.

FTFY
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 14:42:06 »
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/auction

auc·tion noun \ˈȯk-shən\
: a public sale at which things are sold to the people who offer to pay the most

What is GH's definition of an auction?

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #381 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:14:32 »
Welp. Glad these new rules are working out...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #382 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:15:16 »

I think they are stressing the mods out entirely too much.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #383 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:16:16 »
that thread with clacks without name/date pic is still going on lol.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:16:29 »

We definitely needed these new rules

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #385 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:19:33 »

We definitely needed these new rules

70077-0

in other news, anyone notice the changes they made over at DT in the classifieds?

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #386 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 05:14:45 »
I can understand these rules but the 25 posts limit for buyers is a bit dumb, IMHO. I'm a long time lurker, I want to buy something but don't have the 25 posts. Why should I be prevented from posting a buy thread? The "risk" is on my side, not the seller's.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #387 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 17:55:03 »
Why isn't my WTB thread approved? What did I do wrong?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #388 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 18:08:21 »
Not seeing a WTB thread from you anywhere...

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #389 on: Fri, 28 November 2014, 13:35:37 »
I can understand these rules but the 25 posts limit for buyers is a bit dumb, IMHO. I'm a long time lurker, I want to buy something but don't have the 25 posts. Why should I be prevented from posting a buy thread? The "risk" is on my side, not the seller's.

You can post in an existing thread in the classifieds, just can't start a new thread.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #390 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 19:53:47 »
You guys really need to do something about bump spams in the classified, most other forums I go have some forum of rules regarding to bump one's ad in the classified. Such as one bump every three days, and every three bumps much be followed by the price reduction, to ensure the liquidity of the market.

Look at this thread, it's absolutely ridiculous have an not interesting same ad constantly pop up at the first page, ruins the experience for the buyers browsing through the classified.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 19:57:11 by FinancialWar »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 20:24:40 »
You guys really need to do something about bump spams in the classified, most other forums I go have some forum of rules regarding to bump one's ad in the classified. Such as one bump every three days, and every three bumps much be followed by the price reduction, to ensure the liquidity of the market.

Look at this thread, it's absolutely ridiculous have an not interesting same ad constantly pop up at the first page, ruins the experience for the buyers browsing through the classified.

We have rules, and he is following them.  If you're not interested in what he's selling, that's a different problem.

Bumping
Do not bump your own Classifieds threads until at least 24 hours have passed from the time of the latest post.  Any bumps made before the 24 hour window are subject to removal. You should not bump other members’ Classifieds posts via explicit bumps or friendly chatter, and such posts are subject to removal.

Offline FinancialWar

« Reply #392 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 21:49:19 »
obviously too short.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 23:12:37 »
obviously too short.

pretty much on par with most forums tbh with the 24 hour rule.
I haven't seen a forum that mandates price drops for bumps.

you could ignore the thread though in your settings i believe.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #394 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 23:19:39 »
obviously too short.

pretty much on par with most forums tbh with the 24 hour rule.
I haven't seen a forum that mandates price drops for bumps.

you could ignore the thread though in your settings i believe.

but then he couldn't lazy troll

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #395 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:37:20 »
Here are some opinions I have, that I wanted to suggest for discussion in the future.

1: Reduce the bump time frame.  Daily is way too much for many threads.  It makes it very difficult to sort through new valuable posts in the classifieds.
2: Artisan sub forum.  Can we have a sub forum added for artisan only trades/sales?  90% of the classifieds is filled with artisan [WTB].  That, combined with 24hr bumps repeatedly for weeks, makes it pretty tough to find anything really new.
3: Update time stamps.  Many times the time stamps are over a month old.  I think that they should have to updated rather frequently, to help the entire process move along faster. 

Again, these are just my observations and opinions.  Anyone who has differing opinions feel free to chime in, and we can hopefully come up with a great solution.

:thumb:

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #396 on: Wed, 16 September 2015, 21:40:42 »
I do not think the artisan stuff should go in a different place. I do agree about the time stamp updates though.