Author Topic: [Oddforge] VE.A  (Read 237603 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [Oddforge] VE.A
« Reply #750 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 17:25:28 »
For anyone doing the Holtite mod, how did you handle keys such as Caps Lock or some of the bottom row keys where the sockets won't fit - just solder those specific switches in?

I saw several people use plain ol' SIP sockets for the lock LEDs.

Ah I meant the actual keys themselves - the hole in the PCB seems to be large enough to accommodate the switch pin but not a holtite socket, unless I'm doing something wrong?

nope, you are correct. depending on the layout you have chosen, there are a couple switch leg holes that are slender, and oval-shaped. no way you are getting a holtite in there. they will have to be soldered

Offline ceflame

« Reply #751 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 17:33:03 »
You have to make the oval shaped holes bigger either by drilling it out a bit (recommended) or pushing soldering iron in to make the hole bigger (might wreck your pcb).
I did the soldering iron method and it was a bit messy but it still worked.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #752 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 18:31:13 »
Thanks everyone!

Will just solder in those few switches, shouldn't be too much of a pain to desolder if I want to switch out the switches.

I'm currently looking into getting my B stock kit powder coated and was thinking about leaving the screws in so the threads don't get powder coated - anyone got any better ideas? Worried that the powder coating would fill in the screw heads causing me to be unable to remove them, so was going to put some tape over them but then the powder coating will miss some spots unless I get the tape over the screw heads exactly.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #753 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 18:45:51 »
Thanks everyone!

Will just solder in those few switches, shouldn't be too much of a pain to desolder if I want to switch out the switches.

I'm currently looking into getting my B stock kit powder coated and was thinking about leaving the screws in so the threads don't get powder coated - anyone got any better ideas? Worried that the powder coating would fill in the screw heads causing me to be unable to remove them, so was going to put some tape over them but then the powder coating will miss some spots unless I get the tape over the screw heads exactly.

Powder coating will fill the threads, but any good powder coating place will cover the threads before spraying

Edit: A few of the places I know of use a low melting point wax. so while spraying, the threads are protected, and while it's baking, the wax leaves the threads
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 January 2017, 18:53:19 by exitfire401 »
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #754 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 18:50:24 »

I've done some powder coating. Anyone competent will plug holes like that so isn't a problem.

If you do tape anything, you need to use thermal tape that can handle the temperatures - again, anyone who does this professionally should have it on hand. They may charge you a fee for masking, especially if it is fiddly.

You could always have it Cerakoted, too.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #755 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 18:56:18 »

I've done some powder coating. Anyone competent will plug holes like that so isn't a problem.

If you do tape anything, you need to use thermal tape that can handle the temperatures - again, anyone who does this professionally should have it on hand. They may charge you a fee for masking, especially if it is fiddly.

You could always have it Cerakoted, too.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Thanks, I'm in the Bay Area also - do you have any recommendations for good places? The place I've been talking to at the moment seems sort of hesitant (and didn't even suggest plugs or anything, which I had to Google myself).

I also tried to look up the differences between powder coating and cerakoting and couldn't figure out if there's a strong reason to go one or the other for a keyboard that will see mainly desk use. Any expertise that you can offer there?

Really appreciate the help.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #756 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 20:58:27 »

Thanks, I'm in the Bay Area also - do you have any recommendations for good places? The place I've been talking to at the moment seems sort of hesitant (and didn't even suggest plugs or anything, which I had to Google myself).

I actually tried two different local places, and was unhappy with both. There is an outfit in Oklahoma I used for kind of a hard, oddball job, and they were very good, but kind of expensive. Also, that was a few years ago, I don't know if things are the same with them. Let me know if you want a reference and I'll dig up the paperwork, I can't remember the name offhand.
[/quote]

I also tried to look up the differences between powder coating and cerakoting and couldn't figure out if there's a strong reason to go one or the other for a keyboard that will see mainly desk use. Any expertise that you can offer there?

Cerakote is a ceramic coating. It is used frequently on guns. It is very hard and scratch/heat resistant - substantially harder than powder coating. It is also  thinner - it is possible to coat threads, down to some tolerance I can't remember. It costs a fair amount more because it is proprietary, requires special equipment, etc.

My comment about that was a bit of a joke, if not funny. There's really no good reason to use it on a keyboard, in terms of what it is used for - if you're abusing your keyboard that much, there's something else wrong. But, if you like the look of it (it does look distinctive, depending on the color), go for it. Some shops out there also do really fancy stencils and whatnot with it. If you want to look at example fancy applications and don't mind looking at guns, see https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/ . Of course, you'll pay for fancy.

I'd offer to help, but I'm really not very good at powder coating because I hate doing it and the shop I do it at has a poor setup that sometimes causes botched jobs due to people opening the wrong door at the wrong time.  And I would hate to do a crappy job on your VE.A.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #757 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 21:32:01 »

I actually tried two different local places, and was unhappy with both. There is an outfit in Oklahoma I used for kind of a hard, oddball job, and they were very good, but kind of expensive. Also, that was a few years ago, I don't know if things are the same with them. Let me know if you want a reference and I'll dig up the paperwork, I can't remember the name offhand.

Cerakote is a ceramic coating. It is used frequently on guns. It is very hard and scratch/heat resistant - substantially harder than powder coating. It is also  thinner - it is possible to coat threads, down to some tolerance I can't remember. It costs a fair amount more because it is proprietary, requires special equipment, etc.

My comment about that was a bit of a joke, if not funny. There's really no good reason to use it on a keyboard, in terms of what it is used for - if you're abusing your keyboard that much, there's something else wrong. But, if you like the look of it (it does look distinctive, depending on the color), go for it. Some shops out there also do really fancy stencils and whatnot with it. If you want to look at example fancy applications and don't mind looking at guns, see https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/gallery/ . Of course, you'll pay for fancy.

I'd offer to help, but I'm really not very good at powder coating because I hate doing it and the shop I do it at has a poor setup that sometimes causes botched jobs due to people opening the wrong door at the wrong time.  And I would hate to do a crappy job on your VE.A.

Haha ok powder coating it is. Which were the two local places that didn't pass muster? Would like to avoid them to make sure my VE.A turns out nicely.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #758 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:03:35 »
For anyone doing the Holtite mod, how did you handle keys such as Caps Lock or some of the bottom row keys where the sockets won't fit - just solder those specific switches in?

I literally threw a hotlite on the socket without doing anything. Works flawlessly on Caps Lock and backward slash. You don't even need to use a soldering iron to heat it into place. For bottom row keys where the sockets won't fit, the keyboard works without a second socket actually! Switches work directly in the provided horizontal pads!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:08:44 by clappingcactus »

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #759 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:04:45 »
Done building!

Taking it to a meetup on Sunday and will take better pictures in sunlight!

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #760 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 00:07:48 »
oops double post

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #761 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 01:54:24 »
Done building!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice build! Silver case with the Penumbra works perfectly!

I'm not much a fan of LEDs in general but I love the backlighting on this keyboard. Here's my VE.A with Carbon:

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #762 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 09:50:26 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:22:09 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #763 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 15:49:56 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:21:49 by alienman82 »

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #764 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 17:57:58 »
I designed some wood stands if anyone is interested:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/5odqm8/ic_wood_vea_wrist_wrests/

alienman82, please make it happen!  I want 2!

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #765 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 20:08:18 »

Haha ok powder coating it is. Which were the two local places that didn't pass muster? Would like to avoid them to make sure my VE.A turns out nicely.

I've been on a similar quest in to find somewhere in the bay area to powder coat/re-anodize a couple of keyboards for me.
I'm keen to know how your search turns out.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #766 on: Mon, 16 January 2017, 22:18:47 »
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Vergo type.T / alpetit / alpetit II / VE.A with Vergo type.T-II

Offline JDragon

« Reply #767 on: Tue, 17 January 2017, 13:59:07 »

I've been on a similar quest in to find somewhere in the bay area to powder coat/re-anodize a couple of keyboards for me.

The only place that's bothered to respond to me has been Leon's Powder Coating in Oakland/Santa Clara, and even then they don't seem too keen on helping. The search continues...

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #768 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 12:56:01 »
Done building!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice build! Silver case with the Penumbra works perfectly!

I'm not much a fan of LEDs in general but I love the backlighting on this keyboard. Here's my VE.A with Carbon:

Show Image

Just curious.

Do you use the left shift?  Why not flip the fn key.

I don't flip at all, so I was wondering :D

I touch type so I use both left and right shift.

I actually have the fn flipped now so my thumb rests there. I had to flip it as it offsets my keypresses to the left which is so annoying. I guess because my hand pivots from my thumbs..

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #769 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 18:00:12 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:21:39 by alienman82 »

Offline Jedi

« Reply #770 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 20:41:33 »
You had me at Ve.A and IC.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 January 2017, 20:45:23 by cswanic »

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #771 on: Wed, 18 January 2017, 22:18:54 »
Hey Zefyr, any chance you can share the Polycarbonate shape file with us?

I was thinking of maybe getting a custom brass or tungsten weight made for the keyboard and using it instead of the shine-through spacer.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #772 on: Thu, 19 January 2017, 01:40:46 »

I was thinking of maybe getting a custom brass or tungsten weight made for the keyboard and using it instead of the shine-through spacer.

this this this this this
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #773 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 12:57:13 »

this this this this this

I've managed to collect an extra PCB and STS plate along the way.
My hope is to make a case with a polycarb base - super bling.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #774 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 13:11:45 »

this this this this this

Given the way it's assembled I'm not expecting a lot of light to get through! It might not be as bling-y as you think?

There's a 3D scanner that's open access in my city. Some time in the next month or so I'll go there to see if I can scan the polycarb insert accurately so that I could have a metal one milled.

Will report back with my findings.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #775 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 14:39:06 »

this this this this this

Given the way it's assembled I'm not expecting a lot of light to get through! It might not be as bling-y as you think?

There's a 3D scanner that's open access in my city. Some time in the next month or so I'll go there to see if I can scan the polycarb insert accurately so that I could have a metal one milled.

this this this this this

This is my inspiration : http://kbdlab.co.kr/index.php?document_srl=4037322&mid=board_Lsno50
It's just the bottom half of the case I want to do in all polycarb.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #776 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 15:28:26 »
In which case you might want to do a polycarbonate insert/base in one piece!

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #777 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 19:33:28 »
In which case you might want to do a polycarbonate insert/base in one piece!

Exactly what I'm after!

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #778 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:25:18 »
as i'm looking for more weight (and less bling) i think it would be so amazing to replace the polycarbonate insert with stainless/brass insert.
i'll be waiting for the update of this project!
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #779 on: Tue, 31 January 2017, 21:37:36 »
I have an extra PCB laying around, hopefully can get Matias those PBT caps into production soon!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 February 2017, 00:46:18 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #780 on: Wed, 01 February 2017, 00:38:05 »

No chance.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Vergo type.T / alpetit / alpetit II / VE.A with Vergo type.T-II

Offline swangful

« Reply #781 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 13:04:47 »
Will there be another drop for this keyboard? :D
I just discovered this beauty.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #782 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 14:18:12 »
Will there be another drop for this keyboard? :D
I just discovered this beauty.

They are in process of working toward a second version, but I don't think there has been official word yet. Keep your eyes peeled, details will be posted here when they are available!

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #783 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:17:46 »
Does anyone know how to make it so that a button (on a function layer for example) types an upper case or shifted character? so pressing a button would type "$" instead of "4" with no need for holding shift.

Offline ReadmeDotTxt

« Reply #784 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 04:08:54 »

The only place that's bothered to respond to me has been Leon's Powder Coating in Oakland/Santa Clara, and even then they don't seem too keen on helping. The search continues...

I'd recommend Gilbert Spray in Santa Clara.  The company I work for has used them for years. They use Cardinal brand powdercoat materials. Check them out and let me know what you find.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #785 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 12:58:58 »

I'd recommend Gilbert Spray in Santa Clara.  The company I work for has used them for years. They use Cardinal brand powdercoat materials. Check them out and let me know what you find.

Thanks.  Much appreciated.

Offline N35

« Reply #786 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 01:08:54 »
Since this GB is over how do I get one of these?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #787 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 01:21:41 »

Mech Market on Reddit is your best bet. Good luck!

Offline N35

« Reply #788 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 02:50:33 »

Thanks, not sure I'll get what I want there.

I can't buy some pcbs that will enable me to build it myself? Or something similar?

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #789 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 03:07:51 »

I can't buy some pcbs that will enable me to build it myself? Or something similar?

As far as I know, there has only been one GB for it. So you will have to get it second hand or wait for the next GB.

Offline N35

« Reply #790 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 04:52:21 »

As far as I know, there has only been one GB for it. So you will have to get it second hand or wait for the next GB.
Ah, bummer. I'll go look for a second hand.

Is there any difference in terms of me wanting a large enter keys and Danish letters?

Offline N35

« Reply #791 on: Sat, 11 March 2017, 04:52:51 »

Alternatively, where can I see if the poster is interested in doing a other GB?

« Reply #792 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 10:57:10 »

Oddforge is not going to be doing another groupbuy for the VE.A but will be releasing a version 2 likely this year. It will be posted here when they do.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #793 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 10:58:59 »

Oddforge is not going to be doing another groupbuy for the VE.A but will be releasing a version 2 likely this year. It will be posted here when they do.

Neat!

Offline swangful

« Reply #794 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 12:31:41 »

Neat!

Can't wait for v2. Not going to miss this one this time around.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #795 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 19:29:54 »
Hey, it's my hobby :) please do not forget that.

Some guys already talks about another round.
That is "A LOT OF PRESSURE" on me.
I absolutely have NO plan for another round.

Thanks to you all!

We will be back soon with brand new design!

I wouldn't count on a VE.A R2 per se, but anything Oddforge puts out will be fantastic!
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #796 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 22:00:32 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:03:44 by alienman82 »

« Reply #797 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:03:00 »
We actually have plan for next version of VE.A.
Our new VE.A has other surface, not anodizing.
But as always it is just plan, we dont guarantee anything.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #798 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 18:12:40 »
We actually have plan for next version of VE.A.
Our new VE.A has other surface, not anodizing.
But as always it is just plan, we dont guarantee anything.

From where/when is this quote?

A new VE.A gb would be amazing but I guess chances of this happening any time soon are rather slim...

« Reply #799 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 18:39:47 »
From where/when is this quote?

DM. That wasn't the whole message, and OF is hopeful, so stay tuned, but I don't want to throw them under the bus by giving out any specifics