Author Topic: looking for someone who can make keycap mockups  (Read 4939 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
looking for someone who can make keycap mockups
« on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:40:42 »
I am looking for someone who is capable of making keycap mockups for my B Series groupbuy.

The first mock up i am looking for is all 1x keycaps of a fullsize board to be in red/white with red B series caps and all keycaps larger than 1x to be red with white lettering double shot. The second would be mostly the same as the first except the larger than 1x keys should be white with red lettering doubleshot.

It would be appreciated if you had time to be active in the groupbuy thread possibly making mockups some of the more promising color combinations.

Offline dc

Re: looking for someone who can make keycap mockups
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:52:32 »
What exactly do you mean by a mockup?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 16:54:36 »
Something like what the OCKC groupbuy had http://tinyurl.com/8d3dwjt

Offline dc

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:03:03 »
I see, is this just to see what colors are nice together or should it look exactly like the keyboard its going to end up on?

I'm currently working on a full custom set I'm putting together to order through wasdkeyboards for my rosewill9k and if you just want color mock up sort of things I could do that based off the template file they give to use for submitting your design to them. Looks like this http://puu.sh/1ex6Z (Yes I'm going to have a dog key.) so if you just want color mockups I could fiddle around with that.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:07:30 »
yes it is just to see what colors look nice together. I think this is especially important with the B series caps as no one has done a nearly complete board of them.

Offline dc

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:16:25 »
Sounds like something I could tackle if you don't mind me using that template as the base. I should be clear here, this rosewill is my first mechanical board and I've literally only had it since Friday, I've just been lurking here for about a week as well so I don't really know a ton about this kind of stuff yet. If you had some kind of instant messenger we could talk back and forth in, that could help iron out the kinks a bit faster if I can just shoot quick questions at someone.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:25:31 »
Sounds like something I could tackle if you don't mind me using that template as the base. I should be clear here, this rosewill is my first mechanical board and I've literally only had it since Friday, I've just been lurking here for about a week as well so I don't really know a ton about this kind of stuff yet. If you had some kind of instant messenger we could talk back and forth in, that could help iron out the kinks a bit faster if I can just shoot quick questions at someone.
that should be fine if you need a way to chat hit up the IRC channel a good bit of the people on this forum lurk there including me.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 17:56:46 »
I am looking for someone who is capable of making keycap mockups for my B Series groupbuy.

The first mock up i am looking for is all 1x keycaps of a fullsize board to be in red/white with red B series caps and all keycaps larger than 1x to be red with white lettering double shot. The second would be mostly the same as the first except the larger than 1x keys should be white with red lettering doubleshot.

It would be appreciated if you had time to be active in the groupbuy thread possibly making mockups some of the more promising color combinations.

Here is a partial keyset in green and another in red.

I can finish it if you like this level of mockup

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:02:55 »
That looks pretty good do you think youy could do something about the colors maybe make them more true to the colors that are available? Some pics and pics of the actual colors offered are in my groupbuy thread http://tinyurl.com/9apbvcj

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:15:17 »
That looks pretty good do you think youy could do something about the colors maybe make them more true to the colors that are available? Some pics and pics of the actual colors offered are in my groupbuy thread http://tinyurl.com/9apbvcj

Those are in fact the exact colors from the OP (little eyedropper).  Unfortunately they become flat without hilights and lowlights.  Also the shadows are pretty one-dimensional.

But yes, I can certainly improve the colors.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dc

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:32:41 »
Ah I was beat, and outdone. Ah well here they are anyways.

Did you make those based off an illustrator file koi? (actually if its a photoshop thing that would be awesome too) If so I'd love to have it for my own purposes or future mockups, much neater than my garbage.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:35:23 by dc »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:42:29 »

Those are in fact the exact colors from the OP (little eyedropper).  Unfortunately they become flat without hilights and lowlights.  Also the shadows are pretty one-dimensional.

But yes, I can certainly improve the colors.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Improved version.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:44:46 »
Sorry, forgot the chassis.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:48:26 »

Did you make those based off an illustrator file koi? (actually if its a photoshop thing that would be awesome too) If so I'd love to have it for my own purposes or future mockups, much neater than my garbage.

GIMP, actually.  I started with a screen capture of a keyboard layout, then separated the visual components (keycaps, keysides, chassis, color, legends).  I'll send you a copy when I'm done; you should be able to use it in Powerpoint.  (I am a Linux guy.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Samwise was an actual Koi.  He has passed on now, but my avatar is his baby picture.  Please call him "Sam" for short.  Thanks!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 18:51:20 »
Sorry, forgot the chassis.

- Ron | samwisekoi
any way you could add all the font/text i know thats time consuming.

GIMP, actually.  I started with a screen capture of a keyboard layout, then separated the visual components (keycaps, keysides, chassis, color, legends).  I'll send you a copy when I'm done; you should be able to use it in Powerpoint.  (I am a Linux guy.)

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  Samwise was an actual Koi.  He has passed on now, but my avatar is his baby picture.  Please call him "Sam" for short.  Thanks!
Did you grab from WASD? as ive done that before for making custom layouts

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:01:42 »

Sure, take just a while.  Mostly I wanted to know if the image was good enough to be useful before I did that.

I'll add the rest of the legends now.

Also, if someone has a truetype font file for the legends, I'm happy to install and use that.  Right now they are in... "Droid Sans" in 16px height, but that is easily changed.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:08:20 »

Sure, take just a while.  Mostly I wanted to know if the image was good enough to be useful before I did that.

I'll add the rest of the legends now.

Also, if someone has a truetype font file for the legends, I'm happy to install and use that.  Right now they are in... "Droid Sans" in 16px height, but that is easily changed.

- Ron | samwisekoi

yea look great though im going to warn you as soon as i post that in the GB IC thread tons a people will be asking for other color combos as that is what were currently stuck on what colors to start the groupbuy with.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:31:54 »
Yep.  I can make key color changes quite quickly.  Legend colors take a tad longer.

No worries once I get the legend map complete, updates will be easier.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline dc

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 19:36:26 »

- Ron | samwisekoi

Sounds cool, I can use GIMP as well. However my plan is to make an illustrator template for myself based off of yours. I'm working in it a lot lately and its been fun.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 October 2012, 20:14:13 »
Once you get the red one done you think that you could make a green one or i should say finish the one that you started.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 03:55:44 »
I've made (basic so far) SketchUp models of Cherry profile caps.  I was always planning on adding thickness and stem detail, but if you want I can make them multi-tonal too?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 04:16:52 »
Wow that rendering is way over what i was looking for but if you want to try go for it.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 04:38:44 »
The only problem I can foresee is applying lettering on a curved face - it may be that the lettering appears to float a little bit - I haven't used text very much in SU so can't say for sure.

To my eye the border of side-colour on the top looks like about 1.2mm.  Has anyone got one they can measure up for me?  Vernier or digital calliper measurements with an accuracy of +/- 0.05mm preferred...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 October 2012, 04:41:38 »
None of us has one yet ill be ordering some sample once we decide on color so go with what u feel is close.