Author Topic: Anime Fanatic?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Rendom

Anime Fanatic?
« on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 15:30:35 »
Hey, I've recently completed SAO, and I'm just wondering if there's any anime that anyone would suggest me to watch?

Anime that I've watched, including Manga I've read

I"S
SAO
Naruto
Hunter x Hunter
.Hack
DN Angel
Gundam
Beelzebub
Fairy Tail
To Love Ru
Deadman Wonderland

And a few others I forgot. I really like to read manga though.

What's your favorite anime? And what would you recommend?
QFR - MX Blue

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Anime Fanatic?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 18:14:53 »
Hi, my name is Binge and I believe people like anime for all of the wrong reasons and it has ruined the artform.

General rules by which good anime should adhere.

A) Is it animated better than most hentai?  If no, please don't ever suggest it.
B) Will I understand/relate to this?  If no, please go to section B1
  B1) Is this something I will understand through character/plot development?  If no, please don't ever suggest it.
C) Are all male characters either a jerk, weak willed, or horny?  If yes please GTFO right now.
D) Are all female characters either excessively whiny, able to handle any situation, or understand things so much better than anyone else?  If yes please GTFO right now.
E) Did Light seriously get defeated even after defeating L, who is so much better, for bullsh!t reasons?  Terrible story.
F) Are all giant robots/beings bipedal?  No.  Just... no.
G) Is it disgusting for the sake of being graphic instead of that gore providing detail to the story?  Get your smut off my screen Japan.
H) Does the main character's ONE super power make him normally weak except when something precious is "at risk"?  This is a dumb concept.  Remove unless the person's power is the ability to defuse bombs.  In that case he only needs his power when he's disposing of a bomb... not getting beaten to a pulp then making it out of the 'pinch'
I) Will I have to listen to J-pop, J-punk, or J-rap which is not original or catchy?  This is a problem with many things.  There are other ways to do an intro that don't involve a music track.
J) Does armor make sense?  No?  FGOML (f***ing get off my lawn) you god damned lazy perverted artists.
K) Is the series cut short due to budget issues/was the manga released longer than the series?  This happens a lot.  It makes me sad... don't recommend I watch something that will SUCK like Air Gear.
L) Will the author have frequent philosophic moments without any cohesive character development off of that moment?  No MOAR!  People don't just learn deep universal truths and remain an unwavering beacon of stupidity.  Example, Eureka Seven.
M) Is this anime based off of an older movie which was far better and did nothing but drag its name through the mud with its anime-isms/kawaii desu bullsh!t???  The Seven Samurai was a freaking masterpiece.  I hate the current generation japanese who defiled its name.

Oh yeah so what do I like?

Not much of it especially if it is animated.

Try watching Skull Man.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2013, 18:18:23 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 18:58:57 »
I've only watched a couple of anime series, but I enjoyed Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist, and Death Note.  I tried watching Cowboy Bepop, but never got into it.  Ghost in the Shell was okay the few episodes I watched, though kind of laborious at times and pseudo-philosophical.  There was also some mecha that I forgot the name of that was fairly interesting that was about several faction fighting for control of a country and being invaded by outsiders.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 19:09:27 »
Ninja scroll the movie was pretty badass. The series after was ok.

Akira (the manga, NOT THE MOVIE) was damn awesome. Don't get the manga based on the movie either, get the original full version.

Samurai champloo was kinda good.

Shadow Skill was very good.

There are others I just don't remember at the moment.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 19:55:42 »
Hey, I've recently completed SAO, and I'm just wondering if there's any anime that anyone would suggest me to watch?

I"S
SAO
Naruto
Hunter x Hunter
.Hack
DN Angel
Gundam
Beelzebub
Fairy Tail
To Love Ru
Deadman Wonderland

If you want something recent (and completed), Shin Sekai Yori was pretty damn good.  Currently airing, there's Shingeki no Kyojin, which is based on a great manga.  Honestly, just take a look at the top 150 on MAL and watch anything that sounds interesting to you based on the synopsis/genre.  I'm not really into manga/anime as much as I used to be, but I've watched/read an embarrassing amount of anime/manga over the years.

For manga, the classics are great.  The Akira and Nausicaa manga are both masterpieces and the original works are far better than the movies (which aren't too bad, either).  20th Century Boys was also excellent.  Hoshi no Samidare is fun.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2013, 23:48:03 by Dianoda »

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 20:03:50 »
Watch: Attack on Titan, it is like 5 episodes in so that will give you something to look forward to each week. then start watching things like, darker than black, death note, elfen lied(really messed up one though) accel world was okay, full metal is always good, bleach is long so skip filler episodes. there's more just can't think right now as my daughter is screaming Sesame Street! in my ear. I am not too much into the older animation though so some may not consider me a true anime fan, I just don't like watching old animations sorry!
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 20:10:07 »
Cowboy bebop
Trigun
Hellsing
Bezerk
Love hina
to name a few :)
-wd

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 20:16:32 »
Binge?  Did you have a problem with Samurai 7?  I liked it; it was technically well-executed.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 20:56:31 »
Noein

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 23:40:41 »
Binge?  Did you have a problem with Samurai 7?  I liked it; it was technically well-executed.

O_O` yo bro, I know you might not know but I watch The 7 Samurai 3 times a year.  That's more than I've ever watched any video ever... anytime ever.  I was expecting something just as good.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 23:45:45 »
The only anime I ever really got into is the Neon Genesis series. DBZ as well of course, but who doesn't like DBZ :p
Back in the day I loved Trigun, Devilman, Violent Jack, and Fist of the North Star. Ken's a total badass still.

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 01:18:27 »
sailor moon! :D

I really liked all the animes they used to put on toonami and adult swim. Tenchi, Gundam Wing, Kenshin, YYH, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, Outlaw Star, Lupin the 3rd (does that even count?). I really enjoyed Love Hina too but I mostly read the manga.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 01:19:11 »
You didn't mention Inuyasha, moon...

Offline moonprismpwr

• pew pew
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 01:22:06 »
You didn't mention Inuyasha, moon...

Oh! Of course. now I feel quite silly forgetting because I really loved inuyasha. it was almost a soap opera with that whole love triangle

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 01:25:40 »
I recommend watching Full Metal Alchemist brotherhood. Like any other popular anime, there are people who do not like it and are vocal about that. I still think it is worth checking out. One of my favorites.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline llovro

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 02:19:52 »
check out Death Note.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 05:58:37 »

Offline Rendom

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 06:20:00 »
Ah.. Dragon Ball, FMA, Vanguard, Cowboy Bebop, Shiki, Shaman King are a few I just remembered. I actually want a finished series (hopefully it'd be Manga), I really can't stand to wait every week for new episodes. x_x

But these are the few that's actually interesting that I will start soon

Future Diary
Seven Samurai
Akira (Hopefully I will be able to find the Manga version!)
Shin Sekai Yori
Gundam Wing - don't think I've watched this yet.

Not a fan of DN, I've watch the real life version, and I can only go like "o_o" about it.

QFR - MX Blue

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 07:06:51 »
.Hack

Which one? I've seen most of them, and always almost quit in the middle because of being ridiculously bored. Few good songs, but that's it. Although, if you managed to watch Naruto...

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 07:17:11 »
BTW you want recommendations, right? Alright, then. GITS:SAC, Elfen Lied, Fate/Stay Night.

The new NGE looks promising, I hope it won't turn into mindfsck as the old stuff did.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 07:43:56 »

I"S
SAO
Naruto
Hunter x Hunter
.Hack
DN Angel
Gundam
Beelzebub
Fairy Tail
To Love Ru
Deadman Wonderland

I've been watching anime for almost 30 years, i'm still watching it, someone recommended titans, which is a good recommendation (shingeki no kyojin) it's probably gonna be the best anime this year (5 eps in, it's already the best, since this year is sucking and i have high hopes for it since i'm current on the manga).

i also believe SAO was last years best anime, with that you should watch accel world if you haven't, while not the best it's...
made by the same writer/mangaka and is actually the same timeline of SAO, or rather it is the future in which SAO is perfected, the tech that is

you seem to have watched/read a few shonen animes, like another said full metal alchemist: brotherhood is great. Actually is probably the best, since there's no fillers and (since this revamped version stayed true to the manga) has a very co-hesive story.

when you say gundam... like gundam? (1979), gundam was my first anime, i picked it up again in the late 90's when i could afford to buy the metal grade model kits, i picked it up again mid 2005 when my nephews got into it and also got into model kits (and later apologized since they played with my models like toys when they were young visiting grandma's [my mom's] house, they had battle damage! 1 arm sabazi!). I have a VERY big love/hate with gundam, on one end, it's MUCHO CRAP!

on another, a few series are awesome!

i've watched 80% of gundam stuff (not saying 80% is good, just what i could sorta finish, heck 60% of it was all on VHS!), that other 20% is the crap i just couldn't bare to finish... i see you want to try gundam wing? are you trying to get into gundam?

from memory...
char's counterattack (has no meaning if you've never watched gundam (1979) tho)
stardust memory
8th ms team
gundam wing (i don't know if i really liked it, or just because i got a custom wing zero from my girlfriend/wife)
seed (NOT DESTINY)
unicorn

are you interested in mecha? i mean i've tried to watch nearly all mecha shows, largely most of it is crap to blah... some are ok, some are funny, most just are not good (it doesn't help that my wife doesn't like mecha, since we watch anime together)

other than that if you want good series, try gai rei zero (don't bother with the manga) it's a short 12 episodes that i think could be completed with just that.

Offline cannedlemons

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 23:34:26 »
One anime I always recommend to people when they ask is Full Metal Alchemist not only is it an awesome series it is one of my all time favorites. It has such a good storyline that isn't redundant or typical like lots of anime out there. Not only that it brings best of both worlds in  my opinion with making a series completely faithful to the anime and another series that is half based on the the anime but the second half strays from the manga and follows a completely different story. I kind of like it when they try to do something creative and not follow 100% of the manga  but I sometimes understand why they don't since it kind of gets boring for some. But this serious offers both the manga version and I guess an "alternate" version. I would strongly recommend Full metal Alchemist and  the Manga based anime version Full metal alchemist Blood Brothers.

Another good one is samurai champloo, it is quite a short one but I found it quite entertaining with all the different character dynamics.

I think Magi the Labyrinth is a good one too but I didn't follow it but a lot of my friends that liked SAO also liked Magi so I think this is a safe recommendation. 

One piece is another awesome series you should check out if you haven't yet as I found it quite enjoyable from my childhood to now.
My all time favourite would be Rurouni Kenshin it is an interesting story and I really liked it growing up. Not sure if everyone would like it but it is my personal favorite.