Author Topic: looking for advice  (Read 2077 times)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
looking for advice
« on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:25:00 »
as some of you may know, i have had and am in the process of having more GH t shirts made, so a few issues have come up i would like some advice on and will go with a majority ruling

so, in making these shirts i am not making any money, and at least with regards to the proto shirts i will actually lose some money, with the JUNE shirt some money will be made but that will go to geekhack , that being said and where i would like some advice is

as this is a non profit thing

what should my policy be on incorrect/missing/other unexplained issued orders

i guess my questions are these

should i pay for any lost/missing articles myself?
how many extra tshirts should i order each time? (once a run is done thats it, it is way way way to cost prohibitive to order less than 20 at a time so if i am out of replacements i really cant get more)

with the proto shirts, i literally have what was ordered, i have no extras anymore and this has gotten me in a slight panic, what i will say is this, i plan to not let that happen again, and with the june shirt i have ordered several extras in each size, hopefully i wont have an issue replacing anything after the prototype run but just really wanted to get a clear idea what public perception was on how i should treat/handle any issues that come up as this is a non profit deal and sometimes im running very close to the bone on costs, particularly when  things like multiple colors/backprints are concenrned

i want to make sure i am offering the best service i can, and cut issues and my costs to a minimum, this does take up a reasonable amount of my time and i am totally happy to donate that, but i would really loe this to be a monthly thing and i cant do that if i have to cover too many costs out of my own pocket

sorry if this all made little sense, just trying to put out a few concerns of mine and see what people think
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:33:50 »
I think things that are missing after posting aren't your fault. As long as you put a warning/notice up in the regard, people will understand. i3oilermaker does this in his GBs, and people still join in.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:36:00 »
Maybe offer a tracked shipping option at a higher price?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:36:18 »
If you want to run non profit then the typical workable ideal is to add overage into your per-shirt price, replace the missing shirts from the overage, sell leftovers, donate extra cash.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:38:19 »
Maybe once a month is too much?? I know you really want to do it that way but perhaps every two or three months? Quarterly shirts?

Also I'm not really sure if there is anything you can do in the way of shipping/delivery issues once you ship you really have no control. I know here with USPS we can get insurance etc but often its hard to get a claim to go through. Maybe something like that could help?

And if you say your only doing 25 shirts then only do 25, people miss deadlines etc all the time.

For me personally knowing shipping issues happen and I paid say $20 if it was lost I would more than gladly just split the difference maybe on the next shirt or something.

Just some thoughts.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:48:39 »
hopefully none of these issues happen, im just looking as i say to offer the best service i can, i dont want this turning into a massive headache, all is running well so far, i just like to know where i stand in the event of an issue

thanks for the input so far guys
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 11:51:58 »
hopefully none of these issues happen, im just looking as i say to offer the best service i can, i dont want this turning into a massive headache, all is running well so far, i just like to know where i stand in the event of an issue

thanks for the input so far guys

don't worry bunny if it all goes bad and we all turn on you....bunny's taste like chicken  :o :p :))

i kid....i kid....you're a good guy bunny just don't go broke trying to do something cool for everyone else  8)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 19:36:33 »
If you want to run non profit then the typical workable ideal is to add overage into your per-shirt price, replace the missing shirts from the overage, sell leftovers, donate extra cash.

I'd go with this.  Set aside a little overage to cover any shipping issues or lost products that may pop up.  If you don't need to dip into it, either save it for the next shirt sale to cover any issues you might have, cover the money you lost with the prototypes, and/or donate it to geekhack.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 19:44:29 »

I'd go with this.  Set aside a little overage to cover any shipping issues or lost products that may pop up.  If you don't need to dip into it, either save it for the next shirt sale to cover any issues you might have, cover the money you lost with the prototypes, and/or donate it to geekhack.

I agree with this approach.  The profits do not need to be sent to GH immediately.  Hold back the previous month's profits until the run is complete and accounted for, then do the donation. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:02:09 »
should i pay for any lost/missing articles myself?

No, insure the packages, or give people the option for an insured package, with the understanding that if they opt against insurance and something goes wrong, they're out of luck.

how many extra tshirts should i order each time? (once a run is done thats it, it is way way way to cost prohibitive to order less than 20 at a time so if i am out of replacements i really cant get more)

It depends on how great the demand will be for the shirts -- which might be hard to gauge. I would order a few extra. If the minimum is going to be 20, then get 24 or so. If I recall correctly, a lot of screenprinting companies declare that if they deliver 2% above or below the ordered price, the order is considered 'fulfilled'. That's so that if you encounter some issue and botch a print, or if the 'extra' shirts you print come out perfect, they're not wasted. When I used to print t-shirts in my business, that was my standard practice. So if you ordered a gross (144 shirts) I would throw in, say, 2 extra shirts when printing, in case something went wrong. I stipulated that the client would take 142 or 146 shirts, and pay for the extras if they came out alright.

I think you would eventually sell the extra shirts.

with the proto shirts, i literally have what was ordered, i have no extras anymore and this has gotten me in a slight panic, what i will say is this, i plan to not let that happen again, and with the june shirt i have ordered several extras in each size, hopefully i wont have an issue replacing anything after the prototype run but just really wanted to get a clear idea what public perception was on how i should treat/handle any issues that come up as this is a non profit deal and sometimes im running very close to the bone on costs, particularly when  things like multiple colors/backprints are concenrned

Increase your prices -- don't run into the red on these. Also, limit the sizes -- perform a poll to see what the two most popular sizes are, and that's likely it. You don't want to get stuck with five of a size that isn't particularly popular.

i want to make sure i am offering the best service i can, and cut issues and my costs to a minimum, this does take up a reasonable amount of my time and i am totally happy to donate that, but i would really love this to be a monthly thing and i cant do that if i have to cover too many costs out of my own pocket

Someone suggested that this become a quarterly (seasonal) event. If monthly is too great a strain on your time, then yeah, I second that idea.

sorry if this all made little sense, just trying to put out a few concerns of mine and see what people think

I'm glad you said something! If you need help getting artwork or designs together, ask me for help, I'll do what I can. I did have one idea to perhaps spur sales and get you to your minimum order quantity. Let's say you've fully funded the t-shirt buy for that quarter when you get the first 24 shirts sold. Let's make a design element that the screen printer can leave in place for the first 24 shirts, but leave out for any additional shirts. It could be something small, and not immediately noticeable -- an asterisk or something, something that could be easily blocked out by the printer. The first 24 people to pay their invoices will have this small element retained, and the rest will not see it -- an incentive to pay quickly. Nothing drastic, more like an easter egg.

EDIT: Maybe one of the first 24 people to pay their invoice will get a single shirt with gold print -- like Willy Frickin' Wonka's Golden Ticket.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:05:56 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:05:21 »
be careful, because even if we all agree that lost packages aren't your fault.. some people can be real ****s and file a dispute with paypal anyway. i always say the same thing when i sell something, and some GHer wanted to be an ass and bring up paypal's policy into my thread (even though the ******* wasnt even buying anything from me)

i say go insured, doubt people will mind an extra dollar or two.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:06:44 »
be careful, because even if we all agree that lost packages aren't your fault.. some people can be real ****s and file a dispute with paypal anyway. i always say the same thing when i sell something, and some GHer wanted to be an ass and bring up paypal's policy into my thread (even though the ******* wasnt even buying anything from me)

i say go insured, doubt people will mind an extra dollar or two.

True, it might be wiser to just insure it, no option to bypass it.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 21:08:49 »
Do not hold yourself responsible for shipping problems.

If you ship a properly packaged, properly addressed item with a reliable carrier, you have fulfilled your obligation.

My ebay experience has been that problems occur no more than 2%-5% of the time. Build enough margin into your price to purchase an extra 5%-10% every time, and maybe do the occasional "replacement" for shipping cost alone, if you feel nice.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"