Author Topic: Look at thread Michael!(no spoilers)  (Read 1694 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Look at thread Michael!(no spoilers)
« on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 02:17:44 »
Anyone else watching the new Arrested Development season? Been at it all day on episode 12 now. It doesn't feel rehashed to me at all, it flows naturally right after season 3 ended and is pretty impressive and well written thus far. That and Lucille is still one of my favorite characters of all time.

Please no spoilers :)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Re: Look at thread Michael!(no spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 02:22:50 »
I'm only on five.  There's a disappointing lack of George Michael and Maeby, but I am entertained so far.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 02:49:51 »
I agree with tjcaustin, there's not enough George Michael. However, I only just now finished episode three so I'm not very far along.

The show definitely feels somewhat different. While the new seasons retains the general feel of the previous seasons the comedy feels more elastic. A little less reserved, more outgoing, a little more wonky, and far more silly. Despite the new feeling, I'm really impressed.

Offline keeganzero

• huhu
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 03:06:06 »
I'm only on five.  There's a disappointing lack of George Michael and Maeby, but I am entertained so far.
Don't know about Maeby, but I remember reading the Micheal Cera had conflicting schedules when they were shooting so that could explain his lack of appearances.
Boards: F1-88, R1 KFE, IDB60, Cypher, HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, RF 87UW55, G80-1800, CM QFR

Offline Asininity

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 03:19:37 »
Don't know about Maeby, but I remember reading the Micheal Cera had conflicting schedules when they were shooting so that could explain his lack of appearances.

That's understandable. He's certainly had a pretty successful (comparatively) post Arrested Development career. I think it's pretty cool that everyone even managed to return for a fourth season.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 19:14:36 »
woulda been funnier if they'd just hire Jesse Eisenberg to play michael cera, cuz you know

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 19:24:09 »
The entire cast all get at least one episode dedicated to them specifically. The way it was(this season) written is that everything is taking simultaneously during the two days leading up to, and night of, Cinco. So you might see or hear another in the background and stop the episode and go directly to theirs to see what's going on. I'm not sure anyone is actually going to watch it that way, but it's a neat approach and lets all the meta jokes really make an impact the further you get into the season. The longer you watch, the funnier it gets.
MC was actually a writer this season, the first of the cast to join the writing staff of the show. If anything I was disappointed in the lack of Buster. He only gets one episode at the end, and you hardly see him the rest of the season.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 May 2013, 19:26:35 by noisyturtle »

Offline take

• 87U / G500
    • front & follow
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 19:44:52 »

REΛLFORCE 87U 55g  ||  Logitech G500

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 06:32:23 »

i have to say i'm really disappointed.  it seems they took most of what makes this show funny (character chemistry, quick moving scenes, inside jokes) and threw them out the window.  i understand why they did the episodes the way they did due to scheduling conflicts but it really makes the show feel more like a long epilogue than a season.  another thing off putting about is how they start season 4 right after the events of the queen mary when everyone besides jeffrey tambor and david cross is noticeable older.  it just makes it hard to focus...

i'm on episode 10 at the moment and while it is getting funnier (slightly) by the episode, i'm just not feeling it.  what i really cant stand is their need to explain everything every step of the way.  that's not what this show was about.  the first 3 seasons never really rehashed the plot line from episode to episode unless a significant amount of time went by and if they did, it was quite prompt and relevant.  it just seems like they dont have enough content to keep the show moving so they stall on jokes (no spoilers!! ie. stuttering) to fill in the dead time.

FWIW i'm a rabid AD fan.  i didn't get a chance to watch it on fox when it was being aired but as soon as season 3 got released to dvd i picked them up and fell in love.  Season 4 doesn't even feel like the same show.  Maybe i built up in my head for so long and i was expecting too much from a show that got canceled in 2006....
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 08:34:40 »
I had a bad feeling about rebooting this. Really, trying to make things that were already great tends to be a bad decision. And as badcop sad, I felt disappointed. There were definitely some funny parts, and it did get a bit funnier as it lolled along. Overall I felt letdown, just as I thought I might have been.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 08:38:42 »
The cameos kind of make it up though

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 08:45:04 »
I thought the cameos were too much. I understand that celebrities probably love the show as much as everyone else, but it just felt fake to me. Maybe if I got to see commentary where those celebrities spoke on how much they loved the show.