Author Topic: Keyboard tray or not?  (Read 11564 times)

Offline frvrngn

Keyboard tray or not?
« on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 15:46:32 »
I am just curious who out there uses trays vs. just using the keyboard up on the desk.  I have a new desk and it is higher than a normal keyboard height would be for me and it is driving me nuts trying to get comfy.  Does not help that I just went from a super low profile keyboard (Apple Alum) to my first mechanical (Adesso).  At least with the Apple when I was resting my wrists the angle was not too extreme.  With the Adesso it is very extreme and my wrists are hating me.  I tried a wrist pad, and that made things better for my wrists, but worse for my elbows.  Not sure why.  I think I will have to break down and try to get a tray or something else to lower the board down.  Even with my chair at max height my forearms are still angled up quite a bit.  I dont know if I can get used to this or not.  I am never learned to just hover my wrists, so I know that is not helping matters.  

So what is your keyboard position, and do you like it for long typing sessions?
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline jpc

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 15:55:04 »
I built a keyboard tray yesterday. So far so good. The tray surface is 24.75" off the floor.

On ripster's advice I got these sliders:

Lee Valley 50 lb Under-Mount Slides

All you need are those, a chunk of scrap plywood, and a desk whose lower surface will hold screws. And some sandpaper to tame the plywood.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline TexasFlood

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 15:58:42 »
Quote from: frvrngn;221341
I am just curious who out there uses trays vs. just using the keyboard up on the desk.  I have a new desk and it is higher than a normal keyboard height would be for me and it is driving me nuts trying to get comfy.  Does not help that I just went from a super low profile keyboard (Apple Alum) to my first mechanical (Adesso).  At least with the Apple when I was resting my wrists the angle was not too extreme.  With the Adesso it is very extreme and my wrists are hating me.  I tried a wrist pad, and that made things better for my wrists, but worse for my elbows.  Not sure why.  I think I will have to break down and try to get a tray or something else to lower the board down.  Even with my chair at max height my forearms are still angled up quite a bit.  I dont know if I can get used to this or not.  I am never learned to just hover my wrists, so I know that is not helping matters.  

So what is your keyboard position, and do you like it for long typing sessions?
I have a keyboard tray where my thinkpad keyboard now sits as my primary keyboard, largely due to the need for quiet on calls.  I put a second keyboard on the desk to try out, whatever I'm in the mood for.  It's not the perfect ergonomic location but good enough to try something out, for example, my Chicony KB-5181, or SIIG Minitouch, whatever.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 September 2010, 16:04:46 by TexasFlood »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 18:21:06 »
I wouldn't recommend a keyboard tray. Most people who design keyboard trays are either retarded or stuck in the 1980's back when there were no computer mice.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TexasFlood

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 18:24:04 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;221402
I wouldn't recommend a keyboard tray. Most people who design keyboard trays are either retarded or stuck in the 1980's back when there were no computer mice.
Show Image

Good point,and another reason why the trackpoint keyboard words well in the tray.

Offline Lanx

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 September 2010, 19:55:18 »
disclaimer.
-yes i know, i'm still trying to find time to hack cherrybrown the ms4k, so thats why it's on the tray
-fiance had good camera while in cancun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1leKAi-LRQ

i had to remove my chair armrests but basically super adjustable.

Offline Ekaros

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 03:16:58 »
I got keyboard level and hate it, have to get proper desk. I like to rest my whole arm on desk while using comp and this one is just too shallow...
So I should add something useless here yes? Ok, ok...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline Lanx

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 17:31:21 »
^--- raise your chair up? or that won't work as well?

Offline Ekaros

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 17:39:46 »
Quote from: Lanx;222128
^--- raise your chair up? or that won't work as well?

It doesn't have arms... I'm used to use large desk realy deep desk, but now with just short ledge, I just don't like it too much...
Filco 105-key NKRO MX Browns Sw/Fi-layout|IBM Model M 1394545 Lexmark 102-key Finnish-layout 1994-03-22|Cherry G80-3000LQCDE-2 with MX CLEAR
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dell AT102W(105-key SF) (Black ALPS)|Steelseries Steelkeys 6G(MX Black) ISO-FI-layout|Cherry G84-4400 G84-4700 Cherry MLs

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 September 2010, 19:31:38 »
If you've got the space, a conference table makes a great computer desk.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Ekaros

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 03:24:51 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;222184
If you've got the space, a conference table makes a great computer desk.

Maybe not that much 80cm-1m is good depth I have to see what can I found at Ikea...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Findecanor

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 05:28:05 »
Quote from: Ekaros;222316
Maybe not that much 80cm-1m is good depth I have to see what can I found at Ikea...

I advice that you stay away from the "Galant" desks. There is a steel frame a few cm underneath it which makes the table thickness at least 10 cm (four inches) thick in total.
I am afraid that the frame might get in the way with the keyboard tray's mount if you try to add one.

We have these desks at work ... in glass, so that you can't add a tray anyway. and with four legs which means that they are not easily adjustable. My workdesk is too high and my knees touch the metal frame at the same time.

Offline Ekaros

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 08:01:48 »
Quote from: Findecanor;222332
I advice that you stay away from the "Galant" desks. There is a steel frame a few cm underneath it which makes the table thickness at least 10 cm (four inches) thick in total.
I am afraid that the frame might get in the way with the keyboard tray's mount if you try to add one.

We have these desks at work ... in glass, so that you can't add a tray anyway. and with four legs which means that they are not easily adjustable. My workdesk is too high and my knees touch the metal frame at the same time.

Bought VIKA(a fault in Finnish btw...) AMON 75x150 desk and VIKA KAJ adjustable(60-90) legs for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Shawn Stanford

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 September 2010, 18:36:18 »
My desk has a tray. It's the reason I bought a Space Saving:

The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline alec

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 04:16:03 »
Took time an effort to find a desk with proper sized tray. Its wider than the regular and with more compact Arvo keyboard plenty of room for mouse.

Adjustable armrests on the chair help a lot.

I often find myself typing/navigating with tray moved in, theres enough room for arms.
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline patrickgeekhack

Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 September 2010, 06:02:30 »
Quote from: ripster;221456
Or they follow OSHA  guidelines so you don't get Carpal Tunnel at an early age.
Show Image

Her monitor seems too low and some have advised against the use of arm rests because they restrict movement.

I think keyboard trays are good, but they must be large enough to accomodate both a keyboard and a mouse. Unfortunately, like MW has said (and he has a point here), most designers of keyboard tray are either not good designers or not designers at all. It's as though they have never used a keyboard and a mouse, otherwise they would have made keyboard trays wider.

One thing I have noticed (maybe it's just me) is the keyboard and a mouse don't feel the most comfortable being at the same level from the ground. The mouse will not feel the most comfortable at the same height as the keyboard.

Offline curiousjorge

Re: Keyboard tray or not?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:23:30 »
Anyone ever find a way to mount an adjustable ergonomic keyboard tray like the 3M ones to a glass desk? Sorry to bump such an old thread but google led me to this page while trying to find a solution.

Offline curiousjorge

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 02:26:01 »
speak of the devil, just found this bracket at  www.gds-products.com. Suction cups, why couldn't I think of that? Might try to drill 4 suction cups into my track instead of invest $75 in the bracket, will let you guys know how it goes.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 06:08:28 »
Anyone ever find a way to mount an adjustable ergonomic keyboard tray like the 3M ones to a glass desk? Sorry to bump such an old thread but google led me to this page while trying to find a solution.

There are UV light cured adhesives made especially for glass that would work. They are used for joining glass and attaching standoffs. My glass sub claims that the glass will fail before the adhesive.

Offline curiousjorge

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:03:33 »

There are UV light cured adhesives made especially for glass that would work. They are used for joining glass and attaching standoffs. My glass sub claims that the glass will fail before the adhesive.

Got a link? I spent 2 hours lining up some suction cup holes to my track only to realize that the bolts block the path of the tray arm from sliding up and down the track. Might have to get this bracket but if the adhesive is more practical maybe I'll try that.