Author Topic: Statistical Help  (Read 982 times)

Offline Moomoo

Statistical Help
« on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 03:51:51 »
GHackers,

I am looking for some help in this statistic assignment. I am not sure why I have to do it as part of my program but I suck major A** at it. I've tried to work it out looked online and I just can't seem to figure it out. Basically I have to analyse a set of data using "instat". It's only worth 10% however I am trying to get the highest grades as possible. Anyone would be willing to help me? 

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: Statistical Help
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 03:57:30 »
I am not familiar with Instat, though I can use anything from Stata, to R, Ox or Eviews.

What is it exactly that you need to do? Analyzing data could mean about a million things and dependent on the level of statistics expected/required for the course, it could be simple or fairly complex.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:00:48 »
Basically I have a set of data and I have to evaluate the significance of the data is exerting in a laboratory setting. Using Anova (paired, unpaired), T-Test (paired, unpaired) and express it as a graph just like a laboratory report

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:03:16 »
I just looked it up.

Seems like Instat is just a program that has a bit of a nicer user interface at the cost of a lot of features and general flexibility. I thought SPSS was the widely used application for that sort of thing. If it is running regressions and interpreting the results and understanding the method I could help. But I will not be able to help with how to do things with this specific software.

Maybe my English is failing me here. But when you say "I have to evaluate the significance of the data is exerting in a laboratory setting" what do you mean exactly? exerting in a laboratory setting? So I am guessing that all you need to do is compare populations, and see whether they differ at some level of significance. Or do you also need to run regressions. That is, test whether one variable has a statistically significant effect on another?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:07:37 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:07:46 »
The software is to interpret the significance and run the adequate test. All I need to find out is how significant the result are in comparison to a control using mean, SD, SEM. Error bars, significance of data, etc and interpret the graph.

Would it help if I showed you the PDF and DATA to interpret?

Both criteria and data can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-Rv7ccLH22mdGRjOFF0WC1OU0E&usp=sharing
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:14:08 by Moomoo »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:17:57 »
You have to understand that I do not know what the coursework is, and that with these programs you can do about a hundred things that all involve testing for some level of significance. I could not access the Google drive link.

Though from what you have said so far. This is what I think is going on. You have some test done in a laboratory setting. There are 2 groups. One is control and the other is treatment. Ideally, treatment and control are randomly selected. The treatment group maybe got a certain medicine or something else is done to them. The hypothesis is that the treatment has an effect on one or more variables. To learn whether the treatment had any effect, you want to test whether some dependent variable is significantly different in treatment compared to control.

Generally this is done as a superior alternative to a simple before and after study. The main idea behind it is that things change over time, and you would not be able to say whether any change comes from the treatment or not without a control group. With a control group you have what is called the counterfactual. What matters here is not just that things changed over time, but that it changed differently from the group who did not get the treatment. The underlying idea is that both control and treatment would have changed similarly had the treatment not been there, thus giving you sort of a realtime benchmark to test your results. 

If this is the case it is actually quite simple. What you do with statistics is just a refinement of saying "it is bigger" or "it is smaller". Instead, you can say, "it is bigger, and I am 95% sure that is not due to coincidence". That is what significance is (in this case, you call that 5% significance). To do this you make the crucial assumption that populations are normally distributed. This means that most people are about average , and less people are exceptionally low or high. If you know the distribution, you can make the calculation.

Is this correct? This is the situation you are looking at?
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:33:27 by Grim Fandango »

Offline Moomoo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 04:34:48 »
Grim you're a life saver everything just clicked it made a whole lot of sense. thank you so much

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 05:26:42 »
No worries, ask me any specific question and I will try to help.