Author Topic: Funny Ebay Story  (Read 3051 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Funny Ebay Story
« on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:01:54 »
So I am making a best offers for a keyboard on Ebay, and I am even offering more than the recent market rate for this item.  I am not lowballing, but rather offering more than what I think is fair.

So this guy keeps coming back with counteroffers like $10 below his too-high asking price.  The last counteroffer had this message:

"Trying to raise funds for a Merckx Corsa Extra.  Cheers ------"

Come on buddy!  Am I supposed to fund your bike purchases by overbidding on your item?  Ebay ain't a charity for your other hobbies.  I laughed out loud and had to resist coming back with a snarky remark.  Sigh.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Funny Ebay Story
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:02:44 »
demik?

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:11:34 »
demik?

No, definitely not Demik.

Don't want to reveal much information in the name of privacy.  But the seller definitely lurks around here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 05:58:17 by prdlm2009 »

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:15:01 »
eBay, its the new Kickstarter.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 19:53:05 »
Lol. I've been seeing a lot more of this on eBay. People will always try to get the most money out of others even when they know it isn't worth what they're asking for. I think we're all better off looking at garage sales for amazing deals.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 02:10:46 »
whoa whoa whoa.

it's not me. im not looking to buy a bike and im not even selling a damn thing on ebay.

nor is my ebay account anything similar to my GH name.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 05:57:45 »
whoa whoa whoa.

it's not me. im not looking to buy a bike and im not even selling a damn thing on ebay.

IT'S NOT DEMIK!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:04:01 »
whoa whoa whoa.

IT'S NOT DEMIK!

But is it demik?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:08:45 »
whoa whoa whoa.

IT'S NOT DEMIK!

But is it demik?

Obviously he wouldn't use his same name. Se will never know.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:09:54 »
whoa whoa whoa.

IT'S NOT DEMIK!

But is it demik?

Based on all the evidence provided thus far, I find the defendant guilty without a shadow of a doubt.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 06:18:08 »
I hate it, but so many people over value their items,  it should be common sense, after owning an item for 18months the value decreases although they seem, in some cases, to think it goes up! I mean wtf?!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 08:34:40 »
I hate it, but so many people over value their items,  it should be common sense, after owning an item for 18months the value decreases although they seem, in some cases, to think it goes up! I mean wtf?!

it's just dumb.  If you want a selling price that nobody will pay, then you end up with $0 rather than actually having some $$$ is in your pocket.  It's simple supply and demand, economics 101.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 09:53:30 »
IT'S MOOSE!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 09:58:43 »
not really funny but i sold my old cell phone on ebay many years ago and the buyer turned around and said it was stolen and that it wasn't able to be activated.  i said ok just send the phone back and i'll return your money.  i even offered to pay for the return postage.  the phone never came back and a few weeks later, i had a paypal dispute (which of course the buyer won).  so i was out $150 bucks, a cell phone, my ebay and paypal account (both suspended for selling "stolen merch").

yeah ebay is fun.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 10:00:36 »
not really funny but i sold my old cell phone on ebay many years ago and the buyer turned around and said it was stolen and that it wasn't able to be activated.  i said ok just send the phone back and i'll return your money.  i even offered to pay for the return postage.  the phone never came back and a few weeks later, i had a paypal dispute (which of course the buyer won).  so i was out $150 bucks, a cell phone, my ebay and paypal account (both suspended for selling "stolen merch").

yeah ebay is fun.

Nice. Ebay always assumes that the buyer is right. The sellers don't scam.. THE BUYERS DO!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 10:06:36 »

yeah ebay is fun.

Um. You could have shown your messages and said you could have refunded it. Also did you unlock your phone? That really sucks.
SmallFry! <3

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 10:12:25 »

yeah ebay is fun.

Um. You could have shown your messages and said you could have refunded it. Also did you unlock your phone? That really sucks.

yeah i showed them everything but they didn't care.  they take stolen merchandise "very seriously."  the phone wasn't unlocked either.  It was nextel so there was no need to.  Its done and over with now but it left a bad taste in my mouth.  I don't sell much on ebay anymore...just craigslist.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:17:44 »
Ebay is weird. Someone had a crappy keyboard with MX Compatible caps listed at $15 or make an offer with free shipping, so I offered $10 and they flipped on me, called me an idiot, etc. I said screw it and put in another offer for $12 shipped.  They never responded to it. I looked at it the next day, and they had it listed for $11.12 with free shipping, so I bought it.  Had they just accepted my second offer, they would have made a little more money.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:34:10 »
Ebay is weird. Someone had a crappy keyboard with MX Compatible caps listed at $15 or make an offer with free shipping, so I offered $10 and they flipped on me, called me an idiot, etc. I said screw it and put in another offer for $12 shipped.  They never responded to it. I looked at it the next day, and they had it listed for $11.12 with free shipping, so I bought it.  Had they just accepted my second offer, they would have made a little more money.

Was it those Cherry MY 7000 keyboards? 

I've had people flip out of me for ridiculous things as well.  low bids, asking too mnay questions, etc.  One downside of the Internet is it allows these amateur businessmen to flourish.

And sellers that cannot provide a reasonable number of photos.  They include one crappy photo, then say send me a message if you want more photos.  Why didn't you put more in the listings in the first place?  Is it that hard to click upload?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 14:46:11 »
Was it those Cherry MY 7000 keyboards? 

I've had people flip out of me for ridiculous things as well.  low bids, asking too mnay questions, etc.  One downside of the Internet is it allows these amateur businessmen to flourish.

And sellers that cannot provide a reasonable number of photos.  They include one crappy photo, then say send me a message if you want more photos.  Why didn't you put more in the listings in the first place?  Is it that hard to click upload?

Even worse.  It was a BTC foam foil board.  The only reason I wanted it is because it's supposed to be MX compatible, has beige/cream caps, and may be double shot, but more likely is pad or laser printed.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 19:18:05 »
it was me, im sorry. :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.