Author Topic: Banggood  (Read 4527 times)

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Banggood
« on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 15:13:13 »
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1p2bs3/psa_official_banggood_responses_to_the/

Just curious if GH staff has any statement on the allegations r/mechanicalkeyboards is making here, or any statement on Banggood in general?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
Re: Banggood
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 15:19:19 »
Thanks for posting this. More people need to see.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 15:19:33 »
Not to speak for the staff but since mkawa is AFK, I thought I'd leave this here:

hey folks, i'm not going to lock or significantly edit this thread as it predates the ban, but banggood is not allowed to do business on this board due to numerous violations of the VTOS. please note that they were previously known as tmart (somewhere around a 0 on resellerratings). as tmart, they did the exact same thing they are doing as banggood, sourcing goods on taobao and then shipping just-in-time after the orders come in. however, the reason they have a 0 on resellerratings is because they finished this off by a cut-and-run.

further, they went to such lengths as attempting to bribe a moderator with a coupon in order to get an admin to give them a vendor forum during the vendor forum moratorium, as well as starting a number of dummy accounts that were talking with each other to bring their name up more often.

the reason we are probably seeing them here now because they have been using the exact same tactics on reddit and we have continued to get some spillover despite me specifically banning all banggood accounts and informing a number of independent individuals that they were harassing and attempting to use as viral marketers that they were absolutely advised to ignore the vendor.

that said, qtan and feng can both purchase anything off of taobao, including these keycool caps and have them sent to you. i don't know what the price differential would be, but qtan and feng are both vendors with extremely high reputations who follow all the rules of geekhack to the tee and have been for years. you are free to make your own choice obviously, but the moderation team will be squashing future threads of this nature due to the vendor ban.

There's also been other threads questioning Banggood:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48870.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46838.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46734.0

I don't have any opinion on them one way or another since I've never bought anything or heard of them until recently but this info might help anyone else interested.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 15:20:28 »
Not to speak for the staff but since mkawa is AFK, I thought I'd leave this here:

hey folks, i'm not going to lock or significantly edit this thread as it predates the ban, but banggood is not allowed to do business on this board due to numerous violations of the VTOS. please note that they were previously known as tmart (somewhere around a 0 on resellerratings). as tmart, they did the exact same thing they are doing as banggood, sourcing goods on taobao and then shipping just-in-time after the orders come in. however, the reason they have a 0 on resellerratings is because they finished this off by a cut-and-run.

further, they went to such lengths as attempting to bribe a moderator with a coupon in order to get an admin to give them a vendor forum during the vendor forum moratorium, as well as starting a number of dummy accounts that were talking with each other to bring their name up more often.

the reason we are probably seeing them here now because they have been using the exact same tactics on reddit and we have continued to get some spillover despite me specifically banning all banggood accounts and informing a number of independent individuals that they were harassing and attempting to use as viral marketers that they were absolutely advised to ignore the vendor.

that said, qtan and feng can both purchase anything off of taobao, including these keycool caps and have them sent to you. i don't know what the price differential would be, but qtan and feng are both vendors with extremely high reputations who follow all the rules of geekhack to the tee and have been for years. you are free to make your own choice obviously, but the moderation team will be squashing future threads of this nature due to the vendor ban.

There's also been other threads questioning Banggood:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48870.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46838.0
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46734.0

I don't have any opinion on them one way or another since I've never bought anything or heard of them until recently but this info might help anyone else interested.
Yeah just saw that.  But apparently some Banggood rep posted over there. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 18:41:06 »
Keep in mind that we may get censored, as they are a banned vendor.

I personally haven't bought anything from them, and don't plan to.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 00:13:32 »
So it's definitely not impossible that we made a mistake here.  Language issues made it hard to understand one another, for sure.  Like the good Cap'n said, mkawa is out atm, and he was one of the primary decision makers in this matter.  We'll review the whole thing when he's back.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 02:09:30 »
So it's definitely not impossible that we made a mistake here.  Language issues made it hard to understand one another, for sure.  Like the good Cap'n said, mkawa is out atm, and he was one of the primary decision makers in this matter.  We'll review the whole thing when he's back.
Thanks for the response hash.  The whole GH hate train going on at r/mech just really annoys me.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 11:07:42 »
I just want it all straightened out to be honest. There have been numerous people who have ordered from the website with no issues. I myself have not ordered anything with my own money yet. I was the infamous FlashGet reviewer as said on Reddit (am I a celebrity now?). Never meant to violate any TOS :(....issues like these can be complicated and it becomes a he said she said discussion and that is a slippery slope.  the user GeekTH was always nice to be and did not seem shady at all. I just hope I didn't make a judgement call on misinformation if so I will apologize for any wrongdoings to GeekTH personally when the time comes.

okay my 2 cents....time to go back to work.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:10:15 »
MKULTRA confirmed banggood smurf.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 16:21:50 »
**** my cover is blown

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:25:07 »
Thanks for the response hash.  The whole GH hate train going on at r/mech just really annoys me.

It's beyond obnoxious, especially since the sub is just an image heavy sub of stock or barely not stock keyboards.  There's very rarely anything of interest in there and no one really undertaking interesting projects like you see on GH.  Every now and then there's something interesting, but it's largely a circlejerk of conformity and/or "geekwhack" mocking.

You kid, but I still question /u/Aliwa and whether he's a smurf.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:36:55 »
Anyone else get a PM from a user with no posts by the name Suner asking to review products? Stating he was a rep from Banggood and Tmart offering me keyboards to review. Not sure if anyone else got this or what have you, just wondering. In the event this was inappropriate to post for whatever reason, feel free to delete.

That quote is from one of the threads linked above.  The question is whether this Suner is affiliated with GeekTH, or whether it's someone unrelated.  That's the only connection to Tmart I see, and it might be an indirect one.  Just wondering.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline uzoc

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 21:41:42 »
Bought 108 white keycaps (no problem) but took exactly 25 days (as they warned). 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 22:00:51 »
My order came without a problem as well.  It also took ~25 days.

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 02:10:08 »

It's beyond obnoxious, especially since the sub is just an image heavy sub of stock or barely not stock keyboards.  There's very rarely anything of interest in there and no one really undertaking interesting projects like you see on GH.  Every now and then there's something interesting, but it's largely a circlejerk of conformity and/or "geekwhack" mocking.

I've stated on several occasions that I don't work for banggood. Nubbi y u do dis

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 13:08:13 »

I've stated on several occasions that I don't work for banggood. Nubbi y u do dis
I thought you were posting as a representative on r/mech

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 08:37:04 »

I thought you were posting as a representative on r/mech

Yeah but I don't work for them nor do I get paid for it. I don't get anything in return which is not what nubbi is saying

Offline Aliwia

• WTB Cuprubber
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 08:39:11 »
Anyone else get a PM from a user with no posts by the name Suner asking to review products? Stating he was a rep from Banggood and Tmart offering me keyboards to review. Not sure if anyone else got this or what have you, just wondering. In the event this was inappropriate to post for whatever reason, feel free to delete.

That quote is from one of the threads linked above.  The question is whether this Suner is affiliated with GeekTH, or whether it's someone unrelated.  That's the only connection to Tmart I see, and it might be an indirect one.  Just wondering.

In one thread it said that Suner claims he was affiliated with tmart, in the other it says banggood as well as tmart

Offline Mad_Doktor

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 11:26:22 »
I've bought a mech keyboard for banggood.com and did not have any issues. Keyboard arrived 2 weeks as promised and package did not look like it was drop shipped but that was some time ago so I could be wrong.

I also frequent RedFlagDeals (RFD) a lot (a Canadian but mostly Toronto based deals forum) and Banggood does have a decent reputation as their cree flashlights regularly go on sale and are legit products. I see a lot of questions come up on RFD about the trustworthiness of Banggood but those who ordered seems to be happy.

I have been PM'd by GeekTH to "market" their keyboards as I have posted a deal on RFD regarding the keyboard I bought but have never followed up.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with what you guys did but I also appreciate the reviews by people who have purchased keyboard stuff off Banggood.
CM QFR - Cherry Blue | CM Storm Trigger - Cherry Brown | Keycool 84 - Cherry Black | Corsair K95 - Cherry Red | IBM Model M '93