Author Topic: Vim Keycaps  (Read 62357 times)

Offline potatowire

Vim Keycaps
« on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 22:18:29 »
Hello,

I've been working on some Vim keycaps, as seen here, and I am selling the extras to help fund the experiment. I have the SP caps lock replacements (1.75u) you may have seen on SP's store in the past, but I also had some custom HJKL keys made in the style of the ADM-3A terminal, which is the basis of the Vim HJKL navigation.

Everything is available in SA and DSA, and can be purchased at vimcaps.com.

The HJKL keys are $10, the Caps Lock replacement is $6, and both together is $15.

Thanks for looking.

« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 22:07:31 by Photoelectric »

Offline RyanArr

Re: Vim Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 23:39:20 »
Very cool, probably in for a set once I decide what I'll put them on. Don't suppose there is any chance of a DCS run?

Offline potatowire

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:44:49 »
Very cool, probably in for a set once I decide what I'll put them on. Don't suppose there is any chance of a DCS run?

I would like to have these in every profile, but I'm not sure I will make my money back on this first trial run. If I can make it work, I will add DCS, OEM, and Cherry profile.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:54:28 »
I really like these caps, that I tried the hjkl for arrows, for a week, with no luck unfortunately, I have to kept the IJKL.

Offline linuxhermit

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 08:58:52 »
They look great ordered a few sets.
87UW45FC660C EW

Offline potatowire

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 09:01:20 »
I really like these caps, that I tried the hjkl for arrows, for a week, with no luck unfortunately, I have to kept the IJKL.

I am the complete opposite, because I can't use the arrows any other way now than Vim has trained my brain!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 09:01:46 »
They look great ordered a few sets.

Thank you!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 09:08:28 »

I am the complete opposite, because I can't use the arrows any other way now than Vim has trained my brain!

I really envy you, I'd like to be more into Vim, but I just cannot do it. I have tried several times to use Vim, and its approach for my PC tasks in general, but I just cannot achieve enough productivity. My bad! I am a Vim agnostic :(

Offline potatowire

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 09:15:29 »
Vim always just clicked (no pun intended) with me (Vim's "modes" and "sentences" rather than multiple key "chords"), and I liked how it can be anywhere there's a terminal window (phone, tablet, fancy desktop battlestation, etc.), but I promise I won't try to convert you. (unless this counts!)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 09:16:55 »
Vim always just clicked (no pun intended) with me (Vim's "modes" and "sentences" rather than multiple key "chords"), and I liked how it can be anywhere there's a terminal window (phone, tablet, fancy desktop battlestation, etc.), but I promise I won't try to convert you. (unless this counts!)

I would like to repent from my sin (not being a proficient Vim user) and be converted, though.  :))

Offline potatowire

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 09:26:06 »

I would like to repent from my sin (not being a proficient Vim user) and be converted, though.  :))

Then I will pray for your Vim soul (and can suggest some resources if you really do want to try again)!

Offline skaloola

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 02:21:04 »
Might have mentioned this stuff in the other thread, maybe not, but anyhow thanks for making these available.

The hjkl keys are a cool idea, but just wondering how long you've been using vim?  I can't think of the last time I've actually used arrow key navigation.. there's much more efficient ways to navigate.

Now I understand that it's just for the novelty / aesthetics of it, I mean I doubt the majority of the people on this board (let alone vim users) even need legends on their keyboards.  What would be really cool is something for my leader key..

A few weeks back Melissa posted the 1u r3 SA vim cap, wondering if you had plans to get the same in DSA?  or in other rows?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 08:37:21 »
Might have mentioned this stuff in the other thread, maybe not, but anyhow thanks for making these available.

The hjkl keys are a cool idea, but just wondering how long you've been using vim?  I can't think of the last time I've actually used arrow key navigation.. there's much more efficient ways to navigate.

Now I understand that it's just for the novelty / aesthetics of it, I mean I doubt the majority of the people on this board (let alone vim users) even need legends on their keyboards.  What would be really cool is something for my leader key..

A few weeks back Melissa posted the 1u r3 SA vim cap, wondering if you had plans to get the same in DSA?  or in other rows?

DSA key caps are available, check the pictures at the OP.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 11:55:18 »

DSA key caps are available, check the pictures at the OP.
Hmm, don't see any 1u vim caps other than the hjkl ones..

Offline skaloola

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 11:59:34 »

Have you tried vimtutor?  It's a great way to learn vim.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 13:24:48 »

Have you tried vimtutor?  It's a great way to learn vim.

Thank you for the tip and yeah there is no 1u vim key DSA on sale here, there was a GB for them some months ago, you may try the classifieds to see if someone wants to part with one.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 13:37:17 »

Hello skaloola,

I've been using Vim for nine, almost ten years, so you guessed correctly that this is purely for style/aesthetics. That's also why I added the caps replacement, because I most associate that key mentally with Vim. The idea of a 1u to replace your leader key is a good idea too (if I understand you correctly). I used to use , as my leader, and I think that would look cool if I still did (I now use Space, and I don't think I would like that as much).

If I make selling these work, I will get creative stocking up for a round two. I think adding DSA 1u Vim keys would be a no-brainer. SA would require some deliberation, however, since a Row 1 1u (SP is selling Row 3, but it seems to me most sets are fully-sculpted now) would be be a good Escape replacement, but choosing rows for leader replacements would be tougher to stock because of personal preference (Row 1, 3, and 4, probably, but in what quantity?).

Thank you for looking and for getting my wheels turning.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 14:39:12 »

Hello skaloola,

I've been using Vim for nine, almost ten years, so you guessed correctly that this is purely for style/aesthetics. That's also why I added the caps replacement, because I most associate that key mentally with Vim. The idea of a 1u to replace your leader key is a good idea too (if I understand you correctly). I used to use , as my leader, and I think that would look cool if I still did (I now use Space, and I don't think I would like that as much).

If I make selling these work, I will get creative stocking up for a round two. I think adding DSA 1u Vim keys would be a no-brainer. SA would require some deliberation, however, since a Row 1 1u (SP is selling Row 3, but it seems to me most sets are fully-sculpted now) would be be a good Escape replacement, but choosing rows for leader replacements would be tougher to stock because of personal preference (Row 1, 3, and 4, probably, but in what quantity?).

Thank you for looking and for getting my wheels turning.
I think having a 1u vim key in rows 1, 3, and 4 would be great.  I'm not sure what a leader key replacement icon might be, but actually I was thinking of using one of those hash bang keys from round 5..

It might also be nice to have a variation of the legend, like the version of the logo that's just the V (rather than Vim).  On my phone but this is the first one that came up:

Offline A-train

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 16:42:17 »
Neat, I'm in. I've been using Vim for a few years but with only enough knowledge of it to get by; perhaps this will motivate me to keep learning it! Thanks for making this available.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 November 2015, 20:22:21 »
Neat, I'm in. I've been using Vim for a few years but with only enough knowledge of it to get by; perhaps this will motivate me to keep learning it! Thanks for making this available.

I like the idea of Vim Keys providing motivation! Vim definitely rewards hard work...

Offline potatowire

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 November 2015, 13:03:31 »
I would love it if one of my international buyers would confirm receipt of their package, so I know I did everything right (tariff codes, declarations, etc.) . A post, PM, email, or whatever would be appreciated and would stop me from worrying. Thank you!

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 21:35:44 »
every day vim user, would buy these if they were available in the standard profile - regardless like the idea
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline potatowire

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 22:09:17 »
every day vim user, would buy these if they were available in the standard profile - regardless like the idea

I assume you mean OEM profile when you stay standard? I'd definitely like to add them to the store at some point.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 08:02:12 »
Hello all,

I still have a bunch of these in stock, but I'm not sure I'll re-stock.

I was also able to drop international shipping (I'm in the US) by a few dollars, in case that helps...

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:18:04 »
I don't even use VIM but these caps look great and is a cool project. Also potatowire is super friendly!

Offline potatowire

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 04 January 2016, 16:23:17 »
Thank you LeandreN!

Offline Liocer

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 15:12:24 »
Got mine today, think they look really good on my planck, will furnish you with a picture when I get my phone.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 22:24:15 »
Got mine today, think they look really good on my planck, will furnish you with a picture when I get my phone.

I'm glad you like them, and I can't wait to see the pics!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 02:36:18 »
Any chance they'll be ever produced in Cherry or DCS profile? I'd like to own a set.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Liocer

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 05:03:27 »
Piccy on the Planck.

https://imgur.com/MBv1jYp

Offline potatowire

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:32:22 »
Piccy on the Planck.

That looks awesome! I think the green goes great with Dolch.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:28:55 »
Any chance they'll be ever produced in Cherry or DCS profile? I'd like to own a set.

I'm going to work on that next. I'll let you know when there's any news.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 15:39:55 »

I'm going to work on that next. I'll let you know when there's any news.
Much obliged. Those caps look cool.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:47:59 »
Piccy on the Planck.

Mind you, nearly anything goes well with Dolch :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline potatowire

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 07:02:02 »
Piccy on the Planck.

Mind you, nearly anything goes well with Dolch :))

You are very correct. Dolch is awesome.

Offline srang

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:45:35 »
just ordered a set. looking forward to adding them to my pok3r with the granite set. Would love a dcs/oem profile as well

Offline potatowire

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 09:40:46 »
Thank you for your order! I am sorry for the long wait you've had, and I included a discount code for any future order you might want to place.

I have often considered adding DCS or OEM profile to the store, but I am not really making the economics work out as it is (I often don't make enough to cover the Shopify monthly fees). I'll send you an email if this ever changes.

Offline srang

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 09:35:13 »
Thank you for your order! I am sorry for the long wait you've had, and I included a discount code for any future order you might want to place.

I have often considered adding DCS or OEM profile to the store, but I am not really making the economics work out as it is (I often don't make enough to cover the Shopify monthly fees). I'll send you an email if this ever changes.
No worries I am still waiting for granite to ship from MD but I have them stuck to my fridge so I can see them everyday. They look amazing!! I'll keep my fingers crossed on dcs/oem. I was also curious if you had any of the 1u dsa (or sa) vim logo caps? I've seen pictures of them floating around but didn't see them for sale.

Offline Laser

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 10 January 2017, 06:03:52 »
Instead of (to quote from the project's page) "memorialize this project", would it be possible to revive it?

Offline Laser

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 12 January 2017, 06:29:05 »
Hi, people seem to be wanting to buy these keys (check out mechmarket at reddit) - are you interested in re-supplying your store, or making a groupbuy, or anything? Perhaps aiming for all 3 profiles (SA, DSA, Cherry/DCS), and/or adding another 1-2 "programmers" keys (e.g. an Emacs logo key, a >_ terminal key, stuff like that).

If not, would it be ok if I'd ask for the same keycaps at Signature Plastics, in order either to organize something, or to see if they intend to make those keys available directly at their store?

Thanks
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 January 2017, 06:33:10 by Laser »

Offline potatowire

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:28:11 »
Hi, people seem to be wanting to buy these keys (check out mechmarket at reddit) - are you interested in re-supplying your store, or making a groupbuy, or anything? Perhaps aiming for all 3 profiles (SA, DSA, Cherry/DCS), and/or adding another 1-2 "programmers" keys (e.g. an Emacs logo key, a >_ terminal key, stuff like that).

If not, would it be ok if I'd ask for the same keycaps at Signature Plastics, in order either to organize something, or to see if they intend to make those keys available directly at their store?

Thanks

Hello,

I think I can do another buy. Let me gather for info and I'll report back. I never was able to find a way to make them in Cherry profile, but I can do DCS.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:58:04 »
I never was able to find a way to make them in Cherry profile, but I can do DCS.

Reddit user techieee is running a GMK group buy. Start date January 23rd:
http://www.mechkeys.io/product/gmk-vimcaps

Offline Laser

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 03:27:55 »
Hello,

I think I can do another buy. Let me gather for info and I'll report back. I never was able to find a way to make them in Cherry profile, but I can do DCS.

That would be great! Thanks! :)

DCS should be close enough to Cherry on row 3, as far as I know :) But, it's true that Cherry profile is a task for GMK, as in your last link.

Personally, I'm interested in the SA profile, with some tentative looks at the DSA profile (because I didn't buy a DSA set, thinking I won't like it, but - one has to try first :D ) I think SA got some momentum, and there are a number of queued SA-profile keysets in the making at Signature Plastics.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 January 2017, 03:31:03 by Laser »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 11:44:19 »
I never was able to find a way to make them in Cherry profile, but I can do DCS.

Reddit user techieee is running a GMK group buy. Start date January 23rd:
http://www.mechkeys.io/product/gmk-vimcaps
Cherry Vim cap is awesome  :cool: With this my Vim caps collection would be complete :d
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 03 February 2017, 20:25:20 »
Hello,

Haha, ironically, I just e-mailed you about this. Hope to hear some good news soon (even if the queue is super long). :)

Offline Laser

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 07:35:00 »

Well, any news?   :D

Offline potatowire

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 23:31:50 »

Sorry for the delay. I am going to do a limited SA buy (maybe DCS if there is enough interest), but I am still finalizing the details. Planning on all one set (likely the HJKL, caps-replacement, and R1-1u keys), a tiered pricing structure, with early purchasers getting a lower price, and 200 orders max. I will send out final details on my mailing list (sign ups at vimcaps.com).

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 01:03:15 »
Excellent, that's not just any news, that's the best news! I am totally in for three sets!  :)

Offline entr0py33

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 01:14:56 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2021, 11:48:22 by entr0py33 »

Offline Laser

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 03:28:11 »

Sorry for the delay. I am going to do a limited SA buy (maybe DCS if there is enough interest), but I am still finalizing the details. Planning on all one set (likely the HJKL, caps-replacement, and R1-1u keys), a tiered pricing structure, with early purchasers getting a lower price, and 200 orders max. I will send out final details on my mailing list (sign ups at vimcaps.com).

Excellent news indeed! Thanks for reviving this :)