Author Topic: Razer to release their own keyswitch  (Read 82687 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Razer to release their own keyswitch
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:37:29 »
no one is saying which is a better game I'm saying if you're using 4 buttons it doesn't matter what keyboard you use...

rofl.
I love Elzy

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:40:28 »
(Attachment Link)

"If it comes down to play and skill, you know, all that matters, too, but, you know what it really comes down to is the tools that you use!"

You heard it here first folks.

This, guy, loves, commas, you know, too.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:42:53 »
This, guy, loves, commas, you know, too.

;_;

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:43:41 »
Anything razer related = crap ton of viewers!  :)) :)) :))
Show Image

Because we all want to hate on it...
Because it is razer.  :p
Does anyone know what this mysterious "standard mechanical switch" specifications they are throwing around in the comparison chart?

They are bashing the cherry switches they used to prase as elite gamer switches lol  :p
Razer has no shame.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:48:02 »
no one is saying which is a better game I'm saying if you're using 4 buttons it doesn't matter what keyboard you use...

rofl.

DOTA 2 is better. there i said it.

---------------------------------------------
Serious Convo time:

so are we sure these are Kailh or cherry clones?  could razer have worked with cherry to modify the stems?

i am also curious to see if this is related to the 200 Million + switches Logitech supposedly purchased from Cherry.  Some fear mongering "on the line" state that this could cause a 32 week backorder on cherry made switches. i have taken that with a grain of salt but if there is any truth in that this could very well be the reason razer would switch switch (hehe) manufactures to a cherry clone.  even if the backorder is a few weeks it would really hurt BW production and whatever the hell else razer manufactures.

Razer's decision to use a mx clone would be wise if there is a production delay at cherry due to Logitech.  they can use the same keycaps, plates, pcbs etc.

however with all this said we dont really know if razer is using Kailh switches. we wont know until we get a hold of a razer board with their l33t gamerz switches.

i like my deathadder but i wouldnt purchase a razer board for any reason whatsoever.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:51:53 »
Razer is the Microsoft of computer peripherals. They spend more time/money on marketing than QA. That and they build off of what other people have been doing for years.

But it does look like they've come up with something similar to Jailhouse Blues.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:53:30 »
So you can already preorder these and they will ship out on the 14th according to their online store, and they cost the same as before (I'm comparing the prices with Newegg). Kind of surprising for me that they didn't increase the price and that they pump these out so fast after announcing them just now.

so are we sure these are Kailh or cherry clones?  could razer have worked with cherry to modify the stems?

Check out yasuos picture, Kailh mentions Razer as a partner, so you can be pretty sure that these are Kailh switches. If these were new Cherry switches, Cherry would announce them as well, see what they did when they announced the RGB switches together with Corsair.

But it does look like they've come up with something similar to Jailhouse Blues.

What? How are these related to Jailhouse Blues?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:56:00 »

Clicky switches with a higher activation point. That's the whole point behind the Jailhouse Blues mod...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:56:44 »

Clicky switches with a higher activation point. That's the whole point behind the Jailhouse Blues mod...

But jailhouse blue switches don't click do they??

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:58:36 »

But jailhouse blue switches don't click do they??

Never used Jailhouse Blues, but in theory they should have a much less audible click than normal Blues, but still, a click nonetheless...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:58:43 »
Razer is the Microsoft of computer peripherals. They spend more time/money on marketing than QA. That and they build off of what other people have been doing for years.

this is a terrible metaphor.  Microsoft makes some very high quality products especially in the enterprise environment.  i know a lot of people on the internet think is is "wicked l33t awesome cool" to bash on MS but I find the only people who do so know little of MS product lineup.  They dont like windows 8.1 (cause they are luddites) so they want to bash the entire company.  SQL? Visual Studio? Azure? Server 2008 R2? these are all amazing products that have made the lives of server techs and developers much easier.

"oh but linux blah blah". oh please. have fun with your oracle database.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 12:59:01 »

rofl.

Really, they should be playing those games with arcade sticks

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:00:27 »

rofl.

I don't know about that. Back in WC3 dota you needed more keys than now in Sc2, at least for Invoker...
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:01:31 »

I stated similar....Razer Oranges are tactile with a shorter travel distance kind of like Jailhouse Blues. Just a different springs.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:05:29 by do_Og@n »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:04:16 »

IIRC they started as some sort of ghetto browns, could be wrong though. These switches however are a clone of the MX Blues, with a byfactor being a 0,3mm higher actuation that barely matters. Jailhouse blues should have about 1mm higher actuation.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:04:35 »

rofl.

I don't know about that. Back in WC3 dota you needed more keys than now in Sc2, at least for Invoker...

How

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:09:13 »
Shorter actuate point definitely helps in fast pace games.
I'll wait for them available in retail store, try on their arrow keys  :D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:10:09 »
invoker wc3 I played tons of you need lots of buttons yeah but now its just qwerdf so don't think so
I love Elzy

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:10:49 »
Shorter actuate point definitely helps in fast pace games.
I'll wait for them available in retail store, try on their arrow keys  :D

To give you an idea how much 0,3mm is, take three pages of normal printer paper. I'm sure this is going to help a ton for gaming.

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:11:11 »
It doesn't sound like you guys have ever played these games. Okay, maybe some of you have. But you can't play them with arcade sticks. Top pros in League or Dota have amazing mouse skills, fast reflexes, and the ability to predict what the battlefield is going to look like a few seconds into the future. This is not even to mention that both are team games, which require cohesion and strategy. You need more than 4 buttons. QWER, yes. But also the number row above for your active items and potions. D, and F for your spells. You also have various SHIFT and CTRL modifiers when you want to smart cast or standard cast. I'm not saying it's brain surgery, but please don't speak from total ignorance. If you were playing with 4 buttons, you were doing it wrong.

Do I think a keyboard is a league or dota pros most important tool? No. But yes, I do think they would be disadvantaged on $5 rubber dome versus a real keyboard.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:12:04 »

IIRC they started as some sort of ghetto browns, could be wrong though. These switches however are a clone of the MX Blues, with a byfactor being a 0,3mm higher actuation that barely matters. Jailhouse blues should have about 1mm higher actuation.

True, there are significant differences, but the concept behind both designs is similar: a higher actuating switch.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:13:46 »
I'm 5k mmr and platinum on dt35... it really doesn't matter. arcade stick is a little silly but really mechanical keyboards don't give an advantage it's pure marketing. we love mechanical keyboards for various reasons, helping you game better is ridiculous

and essentially it's qwerdf + 6 items, league players don't even a move lol. and who the hell smart casts?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:15:28 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:15:10 »
When did this turn into a gaming superiority war? I thought this thread was about Razer...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:16:29 »
I'm 5k mmr and platinum on dt35... it really doesn't matter. arcade stick is a little silly but really mechanical keyboards don't give an advantage it's pure marketing. we love mechanical keyboards for various reasons, helping you game better is ridiculous

and essentially it's qwerdf + 6 items, league players don't even a move lol. and who the hell smart casts?

Hey guys... sc2 has an arcade stick ;)

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:17:41 »

Clearly there is some threshold where a keyboard is so ****ty that it DOES hold you back. But I basically agree, I don't think the point that happens is anywhere close to what we're talking about. I have always said that it is about comfort. If you are only comfortable using MX Browns, for example, that is what you'll play best with. But it isn't because anyone not using it will be at a disadvantage.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:17:53 »
When did this turn into a gaming superiority war? I thought this thread was about Razer...

No one is talking about gaming superiority everyone taking what I say the wrong way or some **** like wtf all im saying is that razer is bull**** and that league player doesn't know wtf he's talking about now suddenly everyone thinks I'm bashing dota and league of lesbians
I love Elzy

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:18:02 »
Show Image

Do keep in mind that Kailh also make mouse switches, which may account for some of their partnership relations...

But, in this case, I think the "Razer keyboard switch" almost certainly is Kailh.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:19:21 »

No one is talking about gaming superiority everyone taking what I say the wrong way or some **** like wtf all im saying is that razer is bull**** and that league player doesn't know wtf he's talking about now suddenly everyone thinks I'm bashing dota and league of lesbians

I'd rather not get involved.

Carry on...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:20:13 »

rofl.

How
Well if you played the game you would know, but anyway I will break it down for you...
Q (quas); W (wex); E (exort); R (invoke); Y(cold snap); V (ghost walk); G (ice wall); X (tornado); C (emp); Z (alacrity); F(forge spirits); D (meteor); T (sunstrike); B (deafening blast)... And these are only the spells it does not include the basic command keys which are basically same as in SC2 (M move,A attack,H hold,P patrol etc etc.) It has same for control groups, shift command and the function row was bound to select Hero. I am not even mentioning the Hotkeys for inventory (add 6 more here)... And remember this is only for Invoker, every other hero had different Hotkeys for different spells so there you have it.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:20:30 »
True, there are significant differences, but the concept behind both designs is similar: a higher actuating switch.

I'm still not convinced that the higher actuation isn't just a byproduct. Take a look at their data sheets:
http://www.kailh.com/en/products.asp?Categoryid=113&rel=14

Pretravel: 2.0 ± 0.6mm
-> The higher actuaction is well within the tolerances and could be just part of a production batch :-\

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:21:53 »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:21:53 »

rofl.

How
Well if you played the game you would know, but anyway I will break it down for you...
Q (quas); W (wex); E (exort); R (invoke); Y(cold snap); V (ghost walk); G (ice wall); X (tornado); C (emp); Z (alacrity); F(forge spirits); D (meteor); T (sunstrike); B (deafening blast)... And these are only the spells it does not include the basic command keys which are basically same as in SC2 (M move,A attack,H hold,P patrol etc etc.) It has same for control groups, shift command and the function row was bound to select Hero. I am not even mentioning the Hotkeys for inventory (add 6 more here)... And remember this is only for Invoker, every other hero had different Hotkeys for different spells so there you have it.

Fair enough, but yeah I've not played WC3, at all let alone dota.. though I have played dota2 a bit...

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:25:01 »

I'm still not convinced that the higher actuation isn't just a byproduct. Take a look at their data sheets:

-> The higher actuaction is well within the tolerances and could be just part of a production batch :-\

If that's the case, then this is simply another example of Razer marketing bull**** products that really aren't any better than they were before (if anything, they'll be worse...)
tp thread is tp thread

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:29:06 »

If that's the case, then this is simply another example of Razer marketing bull**** products that really aren't any better than they were before (if anything, they'll be worse...)

I just wish they would spend less time on this kind of garbage (as they clearly spent some money) and more time on making products people arnt embarrassed about owning...

Offline Kamen Rider Blade

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:29:24 »

He's a paid shill, just like anybody who uses a Razer product for promo's, but in private or in public uses somebody elses product.

Plenty of professional gamers wear razer headsets, but if you look carefully, have Ear buds underneath to hide the fact that they aren't using Razer's promo headset.

They only have to look the part, they don't actually have to use it to get their $$$

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:38:24 »

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:39:32 »
(Attachment Link)

Pretty much sums the Razer marketing strategy...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:40:40 »

You guys bickering about the LoL player(s) not knowing what they're talking about need to realize that Razer sponsors Counter Logic Gaming with their products. I don't know if their sponsorship goes any deeper than that, like paying wages, but obviously they will say things like that for marketing purposes because they have to. It's part of their job and has nothing to do with the game itself.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:40:45 »

(Attachment Link)

I wonder if how fat/thin your fingers are affects this, finger excercises may be in order to keep them fit for gaming.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:41:57 »

He's a paid shill, just like anybody who uses a Razer product for promo's, but in private or in public uses somebody elses product.

Plenty of professional gamers wear razer headsets, but if you look carefully, have Ear buds underneath to hide the fact that they aren't using Razer's promo headset.

They only have to look the part, they don't actually have to use it to get their $$$

Well yeah I know enough about this as well -_-
I love Elzy

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:47:46 »
I still believe that my model F is superior for LAN gaming. If I lose, I can hit my opponent with my keyboard. After 2 hits, he will think twice before winning a game. As long as I play best of 5, I have an advantage over my opponent. The sheer destructive power of the keyboard is intimidating enough by itself usually.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:49:34 »
After 2 hits, he will think twice before winning a game.

After 2 hits, he will not think anything anymore.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:50:58 »
After 2 hits, he will think twice before winning a game.

2 hits? Pffft what a bunch of lightweights!

(Good one though, Blue :thumb: )
tp thread is tp thread

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 13:59:36 »
Back on topic here...

All Razer is doing here is saying that these new switches are specifically designed for gaming. But that's like saying a toilet is specifically designed for ****ting. It doesn't make it a better product...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline mougrim

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:02:00 »
...ever.

As for switches... I think they won't be worth Razer's price.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:04:23 »
Back on topic here...

All Razer is doing here is saying that these new switches are specifically designed for gaming. But that's like saying a toilet is specifically designed for ****ting. It doesn't make it a better product...

Yeah I much prefer toilet paper when blowing my nose than regular kleenex.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:06:15 »
Yeah I much prefer toilet paper when blowing my nose than regular kleenex.

Speaking of that, tp4tissue hasn't been around lately, wonder why...

Wait, forget it, I don't want to know.

Y I KEEP GOING OFF TOPIC??? (kicks self)
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:08:07 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:14:08 »
Both Carter and Edgar Matias had already told me months ago that Razer was working with both Kailh and iOne to bring new keyboards with Cherry MX Clones with RGB backlighting.

Gentlemen, our worst nightmares are going to become true...

"The traditional switches were always designed for typing, not for the demands of gaming"...

Oh god... Here it comes..

"Durability increase to 60m keystrokess"...

Jesus christ, I'm going to puke.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:16:06 »
Both Carter and Edgar Matias had already told me months ago that Razer was working with both Kailh and iOne to bring new keyboards with Cherry MX Clones with RGB backlighting.

Gentlemen, our worst nightmares are going to become true...

"The traditional switches were always designed for typing, not for the demands of gaming"...

Oh god... Here it comes..

"Durability increase to 60m keystrokess"...

Jesus christ, I'm going to puke.

*sniff sniff* I smell bull****...

Maybe that's what's making you puke...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline nereme

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 14:19:46 »

(Attachment Link)

9/10 at live events especially you will not often see players on the big stages or w/e wearing any branded Headset as they wear noise canceling cans for fairness reasons, the buds are more of a necessity.

Though I do agree I think that lots of people using headsets will still use buds under them if they can just to not use it, however i think headphones are not a great example for this type of argument, as its much much easier to wear a different headset from time to time when doing events that it would be to switch out a keyboard and mouse. while comfort does exist in headsets and if i use something different it woudl take me 5 mins maybe to setup the headset to my head, I would be fine with it much quicker than a mouse or keyboard.

but overall the guy is a paid shill and thats 100% clear but if razer want to pay me a decent amount of money to use their gear and also say i have to use it I would just have the switches changed to cherry's as with caps on everyone wins