Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4156085 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #25200 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 12:07:29 »
In firefox I click in the address or search box it 'helpfully' suggests things from my history.  This can be good but more often than not I type something then for an unknown reason it selects something from the dropdown when I press enter and uses that instead.  The easy fix is to carefully let go of my mouse or to push it away when letting go so it's not over the list, but I've tried for months and I just can't do it.  My hand is heading towards me (and the keyboard) so that's where the mouse goes :mad:

Stop goin' to Naughty Websites suicidal_orange..   hurd it makes santa cry..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25201 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 12:26:55 »
In firefox I click in the address or search box it 'helpfully' suggests things from my history.  This can be good but more often than not I type something then for an unknown reason it selects something from the dropdown when I press enter and uses that instead.  The easy fix is to carefully let go of my mouse or to push it away when letting go so it's not over the list, but I've tried for months and I just can't do it.  My hand is heading towards me (and the keyboard) so that's where the mouse goes :mad:

:)) that's not the problem!

Today's annoyance was when I tried searching for something like "are giants proportional" having read typo's thread on in ergo, firefox 'helpfully' searched for "giant hybrid" instead - I have been looking at bikes.  So I click back in the search box, type it again, and - "giant toughroad".  Still bikes...  Today I want info on people not bikes, realistically I can't expect a browser to be that clever but maybe after you've typed 10chars it could just stop suggesting and let you get on with it?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25202 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 12:44:23 »

Today's annoyance was when I tried searching for something like "are giants proportional" having read typo's thread on in ergo, firefox 'helpfully' searched for "giant hybrid" instead - I have been looking at bikes.  So I click back in the search box, type it again, and - "giant toughroad".  Still bikes...  Today I want info on people not bikes, realistically I can't expect a browser to be that clever but maybe after you've typed 10chars it could just stop suggesting and let you get on with it?

I think it may be a setting.

my address bar never selects from drop down on its own.

I remember disabling something in the addressbar when I installed one of the newer firefoxes.

The first suggestion has some sort of affinity i think..

I've since gone back to 47.. (old)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25203 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 17:01:23 »

I think it may be a setting.

my address bar never selects from drop down on its own.

I remember disabling something in the addressbar when I installed one of the newer firefoxes.

The first suggestion has some sort of affinity i think..

I've since gone back to 47.. (old)

I might get that hipster branding for using a browser like Qutebrowser. However, Adblock is built-in, there's no suggestions when I search, and it uses like 1/2 the ram of Firefox and or Chrome. Although, installing through Windows with Chocolatey is a bit of a pita.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25204 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 18:02:01 »
That's why I turn off all info sharing, ads, personalization, etc. You want convenience or privacy, make a choice.

Also beware that a boatload of ad blocking software was recently purchased by an info sharing and collection agency. So if you're using say, Pop Up Blocker you are sharing your info w/ a foreign data mining company.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #25205 on: Sun, 29 July 2018, 03:39:07 »

S-santa? SANTA NOOOOOOO. :-\

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25206 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 08:27:15 »

S-santa? SANTA NOOOOOOO. :-\

Nobody gets a GTX 1180 this year.. thx suicidal_orange,,

Hahahahahahahahahahaa

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25207 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 12:12:36 »
"You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap. There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind."

The Dune series is trippy af.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25208 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:09:09 »
"You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap. There's an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind."

Yes.. SOME humans have that capacity. 

Most DO NOT..

Most human trappers are THEMSELVES in a Trap.. ( Hedonic-loop.. )

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25209 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:20:59 »

Yes.. SOME humans have that capacity. 

Most DO NOT..

Most human trappers are THEMSELVES in a Trap.. ( Hedonic-loop.. )

But your reply is not helping me at all. You're just stating the obvious. That line from Children of Dune has haunted my dreams and whatnot.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25210 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:26:03 »

But your reply is not helping me at all. You're just stating the obvious. That line from Children of Dune has haunted my dreams and whatnot.

Hrrm..

Is csmertx seeking solutions as -the trapper- or the -victim-

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25211 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:46:49 »

Hrrm..

:eek:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25212 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 21:33:49 »

Hrrm..

201066-0

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25213 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 21:56:35 »

Hrrm..

(Attachment Link)

Soon...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #25214 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 14:18:42 »

Hrrm..

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Soon...

Thanos + Infinity Gauntlet = Galactus destroyer.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25215 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 14:31:57 »

Welll... In terms of powerlevel,   for sure..

But anytime you have super beings collecting infinity stones,   The OTHER super beings are aware and would prepare themselves in equivalent ways...

So, while it HAS happened that Thanos beat Eternity w/ infinity gauntlet in comic logic....   A REAL Galactus, wouldn't be caught pants down..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25216 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 15:03:57 »

Hrrm..

(Attachment Link)

Show Image

Soon...

A glorious fight to the death!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25217 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 15:24:52 »

A glorious fight to the death!

Mmmmm Since they can turn back time, that would mean no one every truly dies..

Not sure if anything IN the universe can Break the Universe such that some element is erased completely,,

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25218 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 13:36:55 »
201200-0
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25219 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 13:52:20 »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25220 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 14:27:21 »
(Attachment Link)

looks like you're going to have a bit of fun today..

Nope, not even going to try - two pages of search results about SSD and wifi microcode was enough.  Asus haven't made an updated bios and I can't flash a modded version due to checksum issues, openSUSE is supposedly newbie friendly (read: too many helper gui's to find anything useful) and it has the latest microcode package installed but apparently can't be bother to load it.  I had enough of looking at this crap when I thought the firmware was breaking the integrated graphics months ago!

I've never hated a computer as much as I hate this one, I didn't want to upgrade in the first place and since I was forced to do so it's just one problem after mainly because I wanted the weird cpu for it's graphics, which are now dead and are only good to cause slow boot times.  And of course it was the last hoorah of DDR3 so any 'upgrade' is going to cost significantly more than it would have had I bought the sensible option last time!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25221 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 14:36:26 »
(Attachment Link)

Nope, not even going to try - two pages of search results about SSD and wifi microcode was enough.  Asus haven't made an updated bios and I can't flash a modded version due to checksum issues, openSUSE is supposedly newbie friendly (read: too many helper gui's to find anything useful) and it has the latest microcode package installed but apparently can't be bother to load it.  I had enough of looking at this crap when I thought the firmware was breaking the integrated graphics months ago!

I've never hated a computer as much as I hate this one, I didn't want to upgrade in the first place and since I was forced to do so it's just one problem after mainly because I wanted the weird cpu for it's graphics, which are now dead and are only good to cause slow boot times.  And of course it was the last hoorah of DDR3 so any 'upgrade' is going to cost significantly more than it would have had I bought the sensible option last time!

I tinkered with the Tumbleweed LiveISO as it allowed for persistent storage. Found myself compiling a bunch of things from source when zypper search -t <package> was fruitless. I love the idea of OpenSUSE though, but I gleam from your issue that dependency rabbit holes would be the least of your problems. Which is a nightmare in of itself. Where to now? Debian? Linux Mint?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #25222 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 14:44:26 »
(Attachment Link)

I tinkered with the Tumbleweed LiveISO as it allowed for persistent storage. Found myself compiling a bunch of things from source when zypper search -t <package> was fruitless. I love the idea of OpenSUSE though, but I gleam from your issue that dependency rabbit holes would be the least of your problems. Which is a nightmare in of itself. Where to now? Debian? Linux Mint?

TempleOS is the only solution

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #25223 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 15:08:48 »
Yup, it's not fun.  Stupid btrfs/snapper wasting seemingly endless hard drive space, an incomplete Python3 port and the most rediculous bug of all - a pop up saying there are updates available which hides the button you have to press to install them and doesn't disappear while the mouse is over them.  Overall I cannot recommend it!  Had Mint Debian before, can't remember why but it had to go.  Before that Void briefly, normal Mint, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu...  I've tried most mainstream distros over the years but the last one I really liked was Gentoo about 12 years ago before it broke while I needed to finish my uni work.  I wiped it and subsequent attempts to reinstall failed, but UEFI was new last time I tried :-[

Looking at it again I'm not entirely sure the top line is anything to do with the crash - I don't have 9 drives in this box so why is it looking on (8,21)?!
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25224 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 15:39:40 »
Yup, it's not fun.  Stupid btrfs/snapper wasting seemingly endless hard drive space, an incomplete Python3 port and the most rediculous bug of all - a pop up saying there are updates available which hides the button you have to press to install them and doesn't disappear while the mouse is over them.  Overall I cannot recommend it!  Had Mint Debian before, can't remember why but it had to go.  Before that Void briefly, normal Mint, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu...  I've tried most mainstream distros over the years but the last one I really liked was Gentoo about 12 years ago before it broke while I needed to finish my uni work.  I wiped it and subsequent attempts to reinstall failed, but UEFI was new last time I tried :-[

Looking at it again I'm not entirely sure the top line is anything to do with the crash - I don't have 9 drives in this box so why is it looking on (8,21)?!

If I had to switch from AL for some reason in the next year or so due to new hardware I would go with Fedora or vanilla Debian. I think Gentoo and Plan9 are coming up on my list of distros/OSs to try. Void was amazing until the PSU died on my older IBM Thinkcentre. Well, there's always FreeBSD or OpenBSD (on my list as well lol).

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #25225 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 16:16:23 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25226 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 19:46:37 »
(Attachment Link)

HolyC :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25227 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 19:56:53 »
(Attachment Link)

HolyC :eek:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I literally grabbed a Plan9 ISO earlier today after checking out TempleOS lol

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #25229 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 20:34:09 »
I still have around 30°C outside and inside. At night, I am supposed to open the window and let in colder fresh air... albeit at 90% humidity. I have made an agreement with my closest neighbour to not smoke after midnight so that I would be able to ventilate.

However ... Right now when I have started opening the window at night, one of my neighbours is burning insense or glade plug-ins or whatever the **** it is on his balcony, so I get hot perfume/smoke inside anyway. And while smoking is temporary, this is going on all effing night, and I am sensitive to perfume as that can trigger a migraine attack.

Why can't my neighbours leave the fresh air alone!?

Offline Starius

« Reply #25230 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 20:44:54 »
I still have around 30°C outside and inside. At night, I am supposed to open the window and let in colder fresh air... albeit at 90% humidity. I have made an agreement with my closest neighbour to not smoke after midnight so that I would be able to ventilate.

However ... Right now when I have started opening the window at night, one of my neighbours is burning insense or glade plug-ins or whatever the **** it is on his balcony, so I get hot perfume/smoke inside anyway. And while smoking is temporary, this is going on all effing night, and I am sensitive to perfume as that can trigger a migraine attack.

What a nightmare.  I'm so glad my nearest neighbor is 1 to 1.5 miles away.
You need some kind of HEPA filter in your window.... 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25231 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 20:58:28 »

Um... You need a window air conditioner..

Or.... an external AC unit..

Offline yuppie

« Reply #25232 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 23:05:31 »
Work is kinda bothering me. Got a new job and I'm starting to realize a lot of people aren't very motivated.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25233 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 15:47:30 »
One of my fingers has been sore and swollen for about 6 months. Had it in a splint for two weeks which did nothing, ice/heat does nothing (ice makes it worse,) and yet I can bend and articulate it just fine albeit with some pain. The doctor said it should stop hurting and swelling in 2-4 weeks, which was 5 months ago sooooo  :rolleyes:

Yet another blow-off diagnosis where the doc does absolutely nothing but happily takes your money. I wish you could pay doctors based on whether they actually did anything at all during your visit, placating physicians piss me off so much.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25234 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 16:33:07 »
One of my fingers has been sore and swollen for about 6 months. Had it in a splint for two weeks which did nothing, ice/heat does nothing (ice makes it worse,) and yet I can bend and articulate it just fine albeit with some pain. The doctor said it should stop hurting and swelling in 2-4 weeks, which was 5 months ago sooooo  :rolleyes:

Yet another blow-off diagnosis where the doc does absolutely nothing but happily takes your money. I wish you could pay doctors based on whether they actually did anything at all during your visit, placating physicians piss me off so much.

Hrrrrrm??

Was there trauma to initiate the swelling, or did it just puff up all by itself.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25235 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:17:47 »

It's either gout or the way you hold your cellphone.

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25236 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 17:56:40 »

It's either gout or the way you hold your cellphone.

Probably arthritis.. given the way NT eats.. 

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #25237 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 18:06:48 »
However ... Right now when I have started opening the window at night, one of my neighbours is burning insense or glade plug-ins or whatever the **** it is on his balcony, so I get hot perfume/smoke inside anyway.

Yes, an AC unit with HEPA filter would work, but I would have to modify my window for it to be tight.
But I should not need one! Fresh clean crisp air should be provided by the house's existing ventilation system.

But back to the smell... I once bought a keyboard that smelled like this.
I wonder if it could not be incense, but marijuana. It is not that common around here so I am not familiar with how it is supposed to smell.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25238 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 18:32:04 »
However ... Right now when I have started opening the window at night, one of my neighbours is burning insense or glade plug-ins or whatever the **** it is on his balcony, so I get hot perfume/smoke inside anyway.

Yes, an AC unit with HEPA filter would work, but I would have to modify my window for it to be tight.
But I should not need one! Fresh clean crisp air should be provided by the house's existing ventilation system.

But back to the smell... I once bought a keyboard that smelled like this.
I wonder if it could not be incense, but marijuana. It is not that common around here so I am not familiar with how it is supposed to smell.

Depends how it's grown, where it comes from, and whether or not it was dried properly. I um, knew a guy that had a friend that smoked the stuff. We'll go with that story.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25239 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 18:39:03 »

Depends how it's grown, where it comes from, and whether or not it was dried properly. I um, knew a guy that had a friend that smoked the stuff. We'll go with that story.

//Gasp...  csmertx = Walter White...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25240 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 18:41:56 »

Hepa air filter would cut some contaminants, but you need a thick carbon filter to cut out smoke.

A window AC only circulates the Internal air, causing a temperature SLIDE to the outside,  which means it's typically not drawing any outside air inside.

If you just combine that with a separate filtration system on the inside,   it should work out ok..

Overall.. I'd recommend Moving.. because cancer is no joke...  Prevention is key... Treatment is a nightmare..

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25241 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 18:57:09 »
Got a $1.99 rental for Google play but can't decide on a movie....

Siberia?  Annihilation?? Pacific Rim Uprising? Something else???

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 August 2018, 19:15:26 by SpAmRaY »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25242 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 20:50:15 »

Well, definitely not Annihilation..

Uprising is graphically focused, not very strong on story..

Offline Starius

« Reply #25243 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 21:30:15 »

Well, definitely not Annihilation..

Uprising is graphically focused, not very strong on story..

I rather liked Annihilation.   Decent thought provoking science fiction with some striking visuals.
Also, a great performance from a all female cast.  Why the Ghostbusters remake became the war cry for feminism and this movie got overlooked entirely, I'll never know. 

It's not what you would call a "popcorn flick" if that's what you're looking for though. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25244 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 21:34:02 »

Hrrrrrm??

Was there trauma to initiate the swelling, or did it just puff up all by itself.

I thought it was repetitive stress or trigger finger from my previous job, but after not using that finger for a couple months and feeling no improvement I have no idea what's wrong with it. It's not getting worse, but it's not getting better either and it can't be healthy for a joint to be swollen for 6 months.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25245 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 21:34:51 »

Infinity War. Over and over and over.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25246 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 21:36:20 »

That would be my first pick but it isn't available to rent yet only buy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25247 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 21:50:57 »

That would be my first pick but it isn't available to rent yet only buy.

Cough,,,

Arrrrghhh.. !!!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #25248 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 20:26:32 »
**** mosquitos. Damn it. The swarms don't really bug me, those are easy to spot, it's the ones that sneak in through the doors that bother me the most. ****

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25249 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 07:08:21 »
People who put ketchup all over their fries instead of a controlled pool for dipping, what the **** is wrong with you?