Author Topic: My tiny review of some Mech KB, (Gateron and Othemu Switches)  (Read 5181 times)

Offline zephyr11

Hi all,

just wanted to share some information and details about what I've learnt about mech kb.

this is something that I think everyone should at least give a try. truly life changing.

I almost don't understand how I lived thru all those years using the membrane kb, but to be honest, I only knew of expensive mech kb (-+$200), and wasn't until recently that I found out they are getting rather accessible ($60 upwards).

in this short time (3 mths), I've managed to try and used a few different branded kb and switch combo. and starting to understand what people mean when they say this switch is "mushy", "too light", and even "too hard".

I have also found out there are almost unlimited version of everything and the sky is truly the limit.

I would like to recommend that everyone maybe give one a try, at least. I don't work for any shops or stores that sell these items, but I feel is, if this is one of the 3 items (mouse and hp being the other 2) that I have to use daily to complete tasks, be it work or play, I think it is worth spending a little more on them to make the experience better/ more shiok.

my knowledge of mech kb are still somewhat limited compared to the pros here, as I only have 2 mech kb.

here are some information I have to share.

I am currently using the Team Wolf Zhuque ten key less keyboard, with tai hao doubleshot abs keycaps, with gateron brown switches. feels really snappy, and I like the feedback of the tactile bump minus the click. it comes with full led though, not rgb or single color, every row is a different color. I use this kb in the office so I  turned off the lights, which makes this a very subtle kb, considering the combination. I also used rubber o rings for my keycaps to keep the slightly quieter. the kb feels sturdy, it is usb wired. and has a small footprint on my work desk.

this keyboard came stock with othemu brown switches, which in comparison, felt very mushy. slow to respond, and almost feels sticky. and it came with abs translucent keycaps, for the lights to shine thru. this kb some with hotswappable switches, so I managed to purchase some gateron to try on them. I might consider getting other switches and using this as a test bench of sorts.

I also have a varmillo va87m with brown cherry switches. they feel fast and smoother then the gateron browns, and they also feel sturdier, not that the team wolf kb is fragile by any means, but the va87m just feels more solid, and better build.

for your information, I purchase both my kb (team wolf zhuque, varmillo va87m) from taobao, direct.

I will update this with pictures of what I have and how it looks. but this is roughly what I have for now.

to anyone out there, especially the pros, please share and contribute to this thread.

hope I am contributing to the forum which has provided me with help and information about a lot of stuff. my small way of giving back.

Team Wolf Zhuque

IMG_0462 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0460 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0456 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0455 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_1011 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0939 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

link for the varmilo

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id...82&toSite=main

link for the team wolf zhuque

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id...919063:6536025

Varmillo Va87M

IMG_0586 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0587 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0712 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_0714 by chewyicecube, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2016, 21:57:36 by zephyr11 »

Offline Zar7

Re: My tiny review of some Mech KB i managed to get my hands on.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 12:06:08 »
Glad you enjoyed the Varmilo VA87M! I have always been interested in the TeamWolf keyboard, mainly for their CIY feature.
However, I noticed that getting 87 MX switches are equally costly as well. Even if I had plenty of mechanical keyboards to
pry out for their switches, I still need to get through the hassle of soldering/desoldering.

Try getting a white PBT keycap set for the Varmilo. You are going to love the white and black contrast. ;)

Offline zephyr11

Re: My tiny review of some Mech KB i managed to get my hands on.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 22:33:40 »
Hahaha, i hope i don't end up with another!

honestly i cannot fault the VA87,  superb feel and really makes me want to type more, like now....

;D ;D ;D

i have to say, as the team wolf was the first mech kb i got, i was under the impression that all mech kb were hotswappable, i actually tried to pull the switches on the varmilo, LoL...

talk about a noob!!!

but i do really like the team wolf for that function, it currently has the gateron switches in place of the othemu ones, which i could feel was a little rougher and mushier then the gaterons.

next eyeing some zelios to test, or maybe some chery clears.