Author Topic: Kul ES-87 owners - is this normal or a bad board?  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Kul ES-87 owners - is this normal or a bad board?
« on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 02:59:10 »
Kul ES-87 owners.
I need some additional data to determine if this is normal

1) Does your keyboard resonate with the back plate and produce a ring when you type? Would you characterize it as normal or excessive?
2) Does any type of back plate resonance occur when you flip the keyboard feet (like so -
- you might need to turn up your volume) or perform any normal action which applies force to your entire keyboard?
3) Does your board have excessive back plate resonance?

Thanks

Offline ablooga

Re: Kul ES-87 owners - is this normal or a bad board?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 04:55:35 »

Offline NorrisB

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 08:20:26 »
The McRip Effect

Offline aref

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 10:49:57 »
Had a KUL ES-87, is there another?, with MX Blacks. The first three hours were great; then 'it' began to ping with key strike. And, there's more, it would show two characters where only one was struck. I owned the board for one day before getting rid of it. I had thought of getting one with different switches; but, alas, I realized that different switches were not going to eliminate the dreaded ping. I'm done with KUL; but I would like to get a non-pinging keyboard with MX Clear switches. Does such a stock keyboard exist?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 13:15:50 »
The McRip Effect

Dunning–Kruger effect

Show Image

Oh hey it's you!
Thanks for helping so much.
give your dogs my regard

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 13:58:18 »
Had a KUL ES-87, is there another?, with MX Blacks. The first three hours were great; then 'it' began to ping with key strike. And, there's more, it would show two characters where only one was struck. I owned the board for one day before getting rid of it. I had thought of getting one with different switches; but, alas, I realized that different switches were not going to eliminate the dreaded ping. I'm done with KUL; but I would like to get a non-pinging keyboard with MX Clear switches. Does such a stock keyboard exist?
Probably small stock keyboards like 60%'s, but lately all clears are sold out it seems
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline aref

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 20:09:32 »
Probably small stock keyboards like 60%'s, but lately all clears are sold out it seems

In light of the above, it's all the more unfortunate that CM, Filco, and KUL choose not to acknowledge their keyboards' pinging issue and remedy it. It's a matter of choice, and they've chosen to do nothing. I'm only one consumer, but I've done with the above until they address and remedy their keyboards' shortcomings.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 20:13:16 »
Do you have a video or audio of a typing test you've done? It just seems odd that I'd never heard complaints of ping before in the ES-87 and your feet resonate like that
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jamster

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 20:36:55 »
Here's a recording from my ES-87 of the feet being flipped in and out. No ping that I can detect.

I've replaced the springs with 65g, but even when I ran it with the stock springs for about a month or a month and a half, I never noticed any ringing when flipping the feet.

It doesn't ping when I type either.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2015, 10:58:08 by jamster »

Offline Data

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 09:34:33 »
Browns here.  I've owned it for 6 months, not even a whisper of a hint of a suggestion of ping.  The only thing I've changed is the key caps.

Haters gonna hate, etc.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 09:57:42 »
I've owned ES-87 keyboards with brown, red, and clear switches. The former two showed no evidence of ping while the latter did it like crazy, I'd argue just as much as the WASD CODE with clears I had a couple months ago.

Offline aref

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 12:36:12 »
I've owned ES-87 keyboards with brown, red, and clear switches. The former two showed no evidence of ping while the latter did it like crazy, I'd argue just as much as the WASD CODE with clears I had a couple months ago.

I can't help but wonder why it is that some of KUL KBs ping and others don't. Well, if some ES-87s do and some don't, there has to be some variation in their materials, perhaps base plate, or manufacturing/assembly. The lone KUL/MX Black I had an annoying ping, evident with each keystroke. But my Corsair K65/MX Red has no ping--it's a good keyboard; if only it came stock with an MX Clear switches.

Offline jamster

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 12:41:08 »
I'm semi-guessing here, but I suspect it's the switches. That's where the close to a hundred thin little bits of flexible tensioned metal are, after all (the springs).

Off memory, Khaaan has a couple of recent posts that cover trying to stamp out weird noises, and he talks about the switches a lot.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 12:45:30 »
Some people can't hear high frequencies, some environments mask high frequencies, some setups mask pings, some people don't bottom out, some keycaps mask pings better, o-rings are the best absorbers to prevent pings, some plates ping less severely, some switches ping, some don't, some people only check for the switch pings
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline aref

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 15:30:08 »
I have two Corsair K65s; perhaps I been considering modifying one with either MX Clear or one of Gateron's (spelling?) switches. I've never done this, and my only concern is ruining an great stock keyboard. One of GH's members offered to do this for me at the cost of the switches and my MX Reds. My thanks to the R-man for such a kind offer.

Damn, now that I've just connected the K65, it feels okay to me--go figure. Must be an idiosyncratic thing among the keyboard-obsessed, of which I'm  one. Coming from the better part of the day on 55g Topres, it may be the lighter switch suits these tiring digits. At may age, 'me digits' tend to fatigue after lengthy writing sessions.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 15:41:15 »
I have two Corsair K65s; perhaps I been considering modifying one with either MX Clear or one of Gateron's (spelling?) switches. I've never done this, and my only concern is ruining an great stock keyboard. One of GH's members offered to do this for me at the cost of the switches and my MX Reds. My thanks to the R-man for such a kind offer.

Damn, now that I've just connected the K65, it feels okay to me--go figure. Must be an idiosyncratic thing among the keyboard-obsessed, of which I'm  one. Coming from the better part of the day on 55g Topres, it may be the lighter switch suits these tiring digits. At may age, 'me digits' tend to fatigue after lengthy writing sessions.

I would suggest doing it yourself, if you don't have eyesight/concentration issues, as far as I researched the K65's all have leds, it might be simpler to leave those leds out of the resulting keyboard for simplicity, assuming it's able to work without the leds
Or just buy a new K65 for $89 for the experience of it

I also hate ruining working things, so I also don't push my luck with mods, at least not too much

On a separate note, the clear switches ping separately, so you might want to mod them too, before putting them on the keyboard

I also experience similar taste changes with keyboards/switches, I'm seeking a singular cherry mx setup, yet keep going between switches/mods

Offline aref

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 15:47:48 »
I didn't know that stock MX Clear switches ping; this is not good. I'll have to reconsider this 'thing'. Thanks for letting me know. Obviously, you have much more experience with these mods than do I; and I appreciate the heads-up, thank you.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 15:58:33 »
I didn't know that stock MX Clear switches ping; this is not good. I'll have to reconsider this 'thing'. Thanks for letting me know. Obviously, you have much more experience with these mods than do I; and I appreciate the heads-up, thank you.

Everyone seems to lube the springs of their clear's, there are many clear lovers around, I ended up squeezing the springs of my green's: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69319.0

Squeezing is harder yet better in my opinion, as it's long living, mechanical and cleaner, yet casualties occur

It's a good idea to buy 120 switches to select 87 from

If you're bothered by spring pings, red/brown/blue's are probably the best switches, as their high coiled springs don't seem to ping, especially red's

To conclude, sound-wise, cherry mx's are not very good on default, they are far from homogeneity, the differences are especially disturbing on green's/blue's/clear's/black's, red's are good, brown's are just red's with friction issues, imo :)

Offline aref

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 16:25:18 »
My findings have been the same on the MX Blue KBs I've owned and the Browns. I actually prefer the feel of Reds to Browns. I had one Green-switch board; and there was a marked difference in the feel of the switches across the board. It was a CMQFR, brand that is known for less than mindful builds. But I gather the inconsistency in the feel of the switches was an issue with Cherry. This was about 18 months ago; and since I haven't read similar complaints, Cherry must no longer have the problem in their Green switches.

Compressing springs is an interesting idea. I'll look into it after I send this. I'll also have to look into disassembling an MX switch--you've got me curious about both compressing and lubing springs. Of course, if I were to get adventurous, I could change the springs in one of my K65s.

Just read what you did to your springs: securing them to the base by 'pinching' them is an innovative idea. Kudos to you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 March 2015, 16:32:17 by aref »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 17:09:53 »
My findings have been the same on the MX Blue KBs I've owned and the Browns. I actually prefer the feel of Reds to Browns. I had one Green-switch board; and there was a marked difference in the feel of the switches across the board. It was a CMQFR, brand that is known for less than mindful builds. But I gather the inconsistency in the feel of the switches was an issue with Cherry. This was about 18 months ago; and since I haven't read similar complaints, Cherry must no longer have the problem in their Green switches.

Compressing springs is an interesting idea. I'll look into it after I send this. I'll also have to look into disassembling an MX switch--you've got me curious about both compressing and lubing springs. Of course, if I were to get adventurous, I could change the springs in one of my K65s.

Just read what you did to your springs: securing them to the base by 'pinching' them is an innovative idea. Kudos to you.

Thanks :) I was really proud after the discovery and the first mod, some springs are secured naturally, but ~50% of them move freely, it's mostly those free springs that cause the pings, the mod also prevents the clickshaking sound on the clicky switches when done properly on the stem-side, I plan to write a mod article/thread on it soon (sometimes you hear a shaking right after the click on the clicky switches, that's the clickshaking sound I'm referring to)

After all these issues/mods, red's make a lot of sense, yet I enjoy green's more, they're worth the tinkering

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 17:11:38 »
no ping at all

just stabilizer squeaks
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline aref

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 11:05:26 »

Thanks :) I was really proud after the discovery and the first mod, some springs are secured naturally, but ~50% of them move freely, it's mostly those free springs that cause the pings, the mod also prevents the clickshaking sound on the clicky switches when done properly on the stem-side, I plan to write a mod article/thread on it soon (sometimes you hear a shaking right after the click on the clicky switches, that's the clickshaking sound I'm referring to)

After all these issues/mods, red's make a lot of sense, yet I enjoy green's more, they're worth the tinkering

I don't know how you how came upon figuring this solution; you had to use an acute analytical process to discover this spring/switch modification. Like you, I had tried many methods of quieting the base plate, all with limited success. I thought maintaining contact between the base plate and the inner base of the case would deaden the pinging; but it didn't work, regardless of the materials used and regardless of how much of the base-plate contacted the inner base of a keyboard's case. Really, extremely well-done discovery--again, Kudos to you.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 10:31:05 »
Kul ES-87 owners.
I need some additional data to determine if this is normal

1) Does your keyboard resonate with the back plate and produce a ring when you type? Would you characterize it as normal or excessive?
2) Does any type of back plate resonance occur when you flip the keyboard feet (like so - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAMJGk0Niko - you might need to turn up your volume) or perform any normal action which applies force to your entire keyboard?
3) Does your board have excessive back plate resonance?

Thanks

Mine didn't do what your video is describing, I'd return it if it that's much of an issue for you dude. But that's a little weird to say the least.
你搞砸了

Offline tweis

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 17:31:22 »
no ping at all

just stabilizer squeaks

I don't have any noticeable pinging with the keys or when I flip out the feet.

When I replaced the caps, I cleaned off the plate at the same time, the stabilized keys immediately started the squeaking. I (desoldered the key,) pulled out the stabilizers and greased with some white lithium grease (may not be the best but I had some on hand). The stabilized keys now feel better than when I first got the board almost a year ago.
kûl es-87 clears w/ pbt doubleshot

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 17:50:29 »
My "dog" resonates when it "walks".   Is that normal? 

I dunno nuthin' 'bout them Kul's, but I had one of them pingy Filcos from a couple years ago, but I dropped it, and now it pongs.  Is that okay?  I kind of like the ponginess though, is that normal?

I wish we had a real kayberd expert on this forum to help with this kind of stuff.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:06:05 »
yea, I missed you too eth0s