Author Topic: [GB] GMK SKIDATA+ R1 Complete [Closed]  (Read 1464668 times)

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
Re: [GB] GMK SKIDATA+ (Pre-Orders Open Now)
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 15:56:05 »

Thanks for the explanation. Going to be hard to reach those numbers I fear but it's reassuring to know that pretty much all the issues people have mentioned with this set are conscious cost-saving measures. Seems like we well-designed GB.

I am happy to explain. I really would have loved to include every single possible key in the keyset, but let's do our best to reach 400, and these will definitely be added.

Well you already know my suggestion: a 1.25x blank for 60% users 🏻

Your suggestion has been duly noted. :thumb:

DE ISO keys
If this happens at 400, I will do literally anything to buy this set up to 400. This is the dream.
I'm in. would love to see some ISO-DE caps added if MOQ allows ...

That is definitely possible once we reach 400 MOQ, we'll definitely have at the very least, the right side umlauts and other DE keys, as well as "QWERTZ" (Y and Z swapped).

It isn't as distant of a dream as imagined, but we are really going to need as much support as possible.

Maybe I am being silly,  but aren't the orange navigation (arrow)  keys currently in the color pack?  Or are you referring to adding a wasd xluster?
I think he means that cluster right above the arrows.

The keys with 400 MOQ would make this set perfect for me. Let's hope it's not just a dream.

Orange arrow keys are already included in the current Colour Pack. :thumb:

This is correct, navigation cluster refers to the Del, Ins, Home, End, PgUp, PgDn keys.

is it too late to add in stuff? I don't think I see any language specific ISO keys.

There are a few DE ISO keys for the ISO layout, but not the complete set, as that is way too many keys.
We will definitely be able to add them at 400 orders. :thumb:

I would love the orange numpad set. We can do this guys, I believe :)

I absolutely agree with you. This is going to look really good as a fully two-tone keyset, and hopefully the community agrees as well and will come through to achieve this. I have faith that we'll pull through. :)

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 16:39:26 »
I want something in the lines of more relegendables, maybe a funky color matching the set,

And blue coloured mods. ;D

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 16:50:05 »
I want something in the lines of more relegendables, maybe a funky color matching the set,

And blue coloured mods. ;D

More blue is good!

Perhaps some Orange on Blue code keys?! Someone made a good suggestion for that in the IC, but it was too late to add (and set was already too big).

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 20:39:22 »
If it ends up that I can only afford the color pack, what profile for the other keys matches the best?  This would be my first GMK.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #154 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 20:45:34 »

If it ends up that I can only afford the color pack, what profile for the other keys matches the best?  This would be my first GMK.

GMK is Cherry profile.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 21:34:51 »

GMK is Cherry profile.

Yep this is correct. You'd be able to match the Colour Pack perfectly with most Cherry profile keycaps.

That said, the Base Set is really cool and provides a lot more keys for a complete keyboard! Hopefully you'll be able to make it. :)

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 21:44:18 »
Hmm. I only have three sets for Cherry MX - ducky (oem), vortex (oem), and modern selectric (SA).  If ducky and vortex are both oem as I understand, then I guess that I'll need the basic.

Since I haven't tried out the selectric set yet I don't have experience with ABS caps.  Do GMK last well enough to be worth the premium?  I guess they are since they are so sought after.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 22:09:20 »
Hmm. I only have three sets for Cherry MX - ducky (oem), vortex (oem), and modern selectric (SA).  If ducky and vortex are both oem as I understand, then I guess that I'll need the basic.

Since I haven't tried out the selectric set yet I don't have experience with ABS caps.  Do GMK last well enough to be worth the premium?  I guess they are since they are so sought after.

Double shots last forever, their surface may change but it makes them even better, of course, it is a matter of particular opinions.

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 23:45:28 »

Double shots last forever, their surface may change but it makes them even better, of course, it is a matter of particular opinions.

I'm warming up to the base set and quickly rationalizing both...

...just pulled the trigger on the base and will see how thins go between now and 30 Nov for the colour set I really want as well!
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:09:42 by Texchappy »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #159 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:25:51 »

...just pulled the trigger on the base and will see how thins go between now and 30 Nov for the colour set I really want as well!

Texchappy, glad to hear it! You definitely won't be disappointed. :) Cherry profile is very comfortable to type on, and GMK ABS double shots last forever.

Check out this photo if you're curious what GMK's thick double shots look like. They will last for generations to come.

« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 01:31:01 by Karura »

Offline darkclone24

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:36:10 »
Placed my order for a base and a colour mod set. My next pay day is on the last day of the GB, so I may add another set on then!
RS84 67g Zealio Purple | Choc Mini MX Black | WASD V2 MX Clear | Golbat 78g Zealio Purple | Duck Octagon V2 MX Clear

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 03:55:37 »
Placed my order for a base and a colour mod set. My next pay day is on the last day of the GB, so I may add another set on then!

Thank you for your order! I really appreciate the support. :thumb:

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 04:09:00 »
Hi folks, I've received some questions regarding what exactly is "light-bleed", as well as questions regarding the colour differences between Skidata and Charred Orange, and which orange will SKIDATA+ be using.

I would like to take a moment to explain, but unfortunately, it's a little difficult to give a short answer, so here is the long one.

Both Skidata and Charred Orange were made by GMK to the colour code V2 (in fact, GMK only has one orange colour, V2); however, the original Skidata had a brighter and more vibrant Orange, while the Charred Orange looked quite "dull" and bland.

I discovered that for some reason unknown to me, the more modern/recent GMK produced keycaps have translucent plastic.

Since Charred Orange was produced in 2013, its Orange legends were translucent as well, which made the shade of the orange become severely affected by the dark grey base underneath it, resulting in legends that seem less vibrant and bright.

This problem with translucent legend colours is not an issue with keycaps that use dark legends on a lighter base. Classic Beige for example (if it had been produced), would have suffered less from these effects since a "dark" black legend plastic is more robust and unaffected by the beige/white plastic underneath it.

On the other hand, Skidata's very opaque Orange legends allowed it to remain true to its original colours and not be affected by the darker charcoal grey base below, so to our eyes, it's as if it's a different colour.

I've tested and demonstrated the opacity/translucence of both Charred Orange and Skidata by placing them over very bright white LEDs, and recording the observations via photography. Hurray for Keyboard Science! :cool:

Charred Orange (circa 2013):

Skidata (circa 1996-2000):

As you can see, the Charred Orange has what I refer to as "light-bleed" issues, and while the Skidata isn't 100% light-bleed-proof, you can see how much more opaque it is compared to Charred Orange.

Here is yet another photo (courtesy of JaccoW) demonstrating the differences between CO and Skidata.

CO on the left, Skidata on the right:

As you can see, especially when comparing both "Q" keys, it is evident that the CO Orange colour is more translucent/bland/dull, making it a flawed and much inferior set.

To be completely honest, it was this discovery in the first place that prompted me to step up and plan, and eventually run the SKIDATA+ GB for the community. (Planning started on 10/10/14, so more than a year has passed).

It's no secret that Skidata is my favourite colour scheme, and I just felt that it is such a shame that there were some issues with the Charred Orange set. I wanted to share my love for the Skidata colourway by designing and creating a set without any light-bleed issues, as well as include as much support as possible for various keyboard layouts out there (I'm a big fan of 1800, 75% layouts and own quite a few of these keyboards).

I've brought up the issues with GMK, shown them the photos, and they are now aware of the requirements of having very opaque legends, as good as the original Skidata (their words), making SKIDATA+ the first set to have these "issues" fixed (I put them in quotes, because GMK was unaware of them being issues until I had brought it up), and I really hope the community will end up having a stellar set, the best that GMK could ever make.
Sorry I wasn't able to provide a shorter answer, but I hope this comes across as informative and helps clear up some questions. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 04:30:50 by Karura »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:26:00 »
This is very informative, Karura, but I want to point out that even dark-on-light doubleshot caps are affected by translucent plastic because it makes the legends look much less sharp, almost dyesub-ish.

I noticed this somewhat with Triumph Adler, but I haven't gotten HyperFuse yet. And without any OG Cherry caps to compare to, I didn't know if that was normal or not.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ripwallet

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 06:28:00 »
So tempting...i think eventually i'll pull the trigger

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 09:34:05 »
This is very informative, Karura, but I want to point out that even dark-on-light doubleshot caps are affected by translucent plastic because it makes the legends look much less sharp, almost dyesub-ish.

I noticed this somewhat with Triumph Adler, but I haven't gotten HyperFuse yet. And without any OG Cherry caps to compare to, I didn't know if that was normal or not.
Hasn't been a problem with any OG Cherrys I've owned, but I could also just not have as discerning of an eye as you.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #166 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 09:46:58 »
That was a very nice and detailed information on light bleeding issue. The OG sets I have, and had, do not have any light bleeding, as it may be related with the density of the plastic blends used in the original sets.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 09:54:15 »
But if you havea keyboard with lights and keycaps that aren't made for it, wouldn't you just disable the lights?

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #168 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 09:55:09 »
But if you havea keyboard with lights and keycaps that aren't made for it, wouldn't you just disable the lights?
Some people like the kind of underglow that backlighting under solid keycaps provides.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:11:24 »
That was a very nice and detailed information on light bleeding issue. The OG sets I have, and had, do not have any light bleeding, as it may be related with the density of the plastic blends used in the original sets.

Just a question: Why do you people call OG Cherry? I cant find any reference to OG in deskthority wiki. I just dont get it.

Its ok. OG is original... Sry not my native language to know that...
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:19:37 by T0mb3ry »

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:19:58 »
My guess: Original Gangsta

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:25:09 »

That was my first thought as its the most well known meaning for OG. Anyway found a thread here on GH with title Original Cherry something. So i guess OG Cherry are the caps made by Cherry itself. Basically not more available as Cherry sold their tools to GMK.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #172 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:28:39 »
Seems reasonable. And I guess GMK uses a different supplier of plastics.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #173 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:51:20 »

That was my first thought as its the most well known meaning for OG. Anyway found a thread here on GH with title Original Cherry something. So i guess OG Cherry are the caps made by Cherry itself. Basically not more available as Cherry sold their tools to GMK.
This. OG Cherry just means caps actually made by Cherry when they owned the tooling. So older Cherry caps.

And yes, OG means original gangsta.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 16:58:08 »
So Cherry was run by gangstas?  Is it any more?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #175 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:00:45 »

Hasn't been a problem with any OG Cherrys I've owned, but I could also just not have as discerning of an eye as you.

This. OG Cherry just means caps actually made by Cherry when they owned the tooling. So older Cherry caps.

And yes, OG means original gangsta.

I also have the TA set and HyperFuse is in the mail. I don't know if these keysets will have the same issues as Charred Orange, since I haven't tested it myself.

Keep in mind that OG doubleshots will bleed light, just like the original Skidata keycaps, mostly due to the fact these keycaps were never designed by Cherry to be used with LEDs. The moulds have been around as early as Cherry has been making thick ABS doubleshot keyboards; therefore, even on OG sets, it is inevitable that sometimes a bit of light will bleed though, especially near the thinner areas like the stem, but definitely a lot less than what is seen on recent production caps.

I also want to mention that I have the utter most respect for all the previous GB runners and GB sets (I love GMK, and all the keysets), and anything I say regarding these issue, are only in hopes of bringing awareness of the issue to public, as the first step of improvement is always awareness. I am a keyboard enthusiast just like any of you. I own a lot of these sets, and can't have enough of them. :thumb:

I'm just glad that GMK have taken note of the issues, and have agreed to making them as good as the original. They could have refused or perhaps ignored me, haha, but they are very professional and great to work with.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 19:56:02 by Karura »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #176 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:51:40 »

Just a question: Why do you people call OG Cherry? I cant find any reference to OG in deskthority wiki. I just dont get it.

DT guys don't speak the language; don't expect to get any explanation on the term at their wiki bro.

:)) :)) :))

OG Cherry forever, and some GMK goodies coming.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:00:47 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

I am way into that keythulu with the orange/blue eyes, wow.

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:06:21 »

Karura, sorry but I had to cancel my order. I'm a disabled vet who's already spent a lot on a new Kul and some keycaps.  Upon reflection, I just couldn't spend the money on it with how little we have now.  Wish I hadn't bought some of the other sets because yours looks to be the best of the bunch.  Maybe I'll be able to save up for round two.  Best of luck with this fantastic GB!

Again, so sorry to back out,
Tony

Texchappy, glad to hear it! You definitely won't be disappointed. :) Cherry profile is very comfortable to type on, and GMK ABS double shots last forever.

Check out this photo if you're curious what GMK's thick double shots look like. They will last for generations to come.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:20:52 by Texchappy »

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #179 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:02:21 »
hooup hooup!

Show Image

That triple shot orange keythulu is where its at!  :eek:

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #180 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:42:16 »
I am so glad that this is actually happening, well done you guys!

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:59:31 »
I am so glad that this is actually happening, well done you guys!

Likewise, thank you for being patient while waiting for the GB to start. I know it was delayed for quite a bit, and am really happy to see it go live, but we cannot rest until we reach MOQ! Hopefully I'll be seeing an order from you. haha ;)

hooup hooup!

Show Image

Binge's work is so spectacular that I'm completely over the moon at how great they turned out. We're really lucky to have his contribution.

Karura, sorry but I had to cancel my order. I'm a disabled vet who's already spent a lot on a new Kul and some keycaps.  Upon reflection, I just couldn't spend the money on it with how little we have now.  Wish I hadn't bought some of the other sets because yours looks to be the best of the bunch.  Maybe I'll be able to save up for round two.  Best of luck with this fantastic GB!

Again, so sorry to back out,
Tony

Tony, I'm sorry to hear that, but thank you so much for your kind words and support. Hopefully you might be able to make it in again in the following weeks. I'm hopeful. Take care and I wish you all the best!
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2015, 01:05:30 by Karura »

Offline mathiasn

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 01:31:35 »

Offline Texchappy

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 01:37:54 »
Believe me Karura, I'll be looking for a chance to get back in without breaking my bank.

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 02:06:59 »

hooup hooup!

Show Image

Binge's work is so spectacular that I'm completely over the moon at how great they turned out. We're really lucky to have his contribution.

Binge is on fire with his caps at the minute!

Offline clochette

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 04:21:51 »
argh i cant believe i'm about to participate in this GB solely for the bingecap raffle

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #186 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 05:53:27 »
argh i cant believe i'm about to participate in this GB solely for the bingecap raffle

Considered it, but wouldn't have a keyboard to put the caps on  :p
Remember Katz is making some too!  :D

Offline clochette

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 06:38:23 »

Considered it, but wouldn't have a keyboard to put the caps on  :p
Remember Katz is making some too!  :D

i currently have more keycap sets than keyboards anyway  :p

more reason to get keyboards  ;D

Offline renne

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:17:36 »
Looks awesome! I would join if the mods were icon + text.

Offline lionblinds

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:30:42 »
In

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:35:47 »

I have the same preferences, do not get me wrong, the icons only are awesome, but it is just me that prefer to have both, making the caps to look closer to OG Cherry. I know certain Cherry models came with icon only key caps, but again, I prefer both.

Offline Data

« Reply #191 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:44:47 »

I have the same preferences, do not get me wrong, the icons only are awesome, but it is just me that prefer to have both, making the caps to look closer to OG Cherry. I know certain Cherry models came with icon only key caps, but again, I prefer both.

OK, you guys understand that this is trying to replicate the original Skidata, right?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #192 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:45:51 »

OK, you guys understand that this is trying to replicate the original Skidata, right?

Yeah, I know that.

Offline Data

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 08:48:17 »

Yeah, I know that.

OK, just checking.

Here, have a fancy photo I just found.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 10:33:42 »
More

Yeah, I know that.

OK, just checking.

Show Image

Can you please not post pictures like that, it makes me want to buy more than one of these sets. Kthanks  :thumb:
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #195 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 15:47:54 »
Payday today! :)~

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:20:33 »

Yeah, I know that.

OK, just checking.

Show Image

That's an amazing photo! Where did you find that? The colours are perfect too.

I got a package today, and will be taking photos of it once I have the chance.

Can anyone guess what the individual components are? ;)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:23:37 »
Quick question as I just got my first set of GMK keycaps that have the led windows - are all of them pad print? I always assumed they were some sort of doubleshot with a plastic insert....

Much sads

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:24:34 »
Quick question as I just got my first set of GMK keycaps that have the led windows - are all of them pad print? I always assumed they were some sort of doubleshot with a plastic insert....

Much sads

Pad printed.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #199 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:29:19 »

Much sads

GMK has informed me that ours will be double-padprinted, so it will be very bright and vibrant.

The clear plastic insert is another "shot" of plastic, so there are only moulds to make doubleshots.